Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

So is the chief executive of Gilead gay(/bi)? I may be reading into it, but a) I think we and Fred are supposed to be left to read into it at this point, and b) of course I am since this is a direction I want it to go. (I also love the idea that Lawrence and all the other top commanders already know, but mainly as a joke, not a theory I actually hold.)

Also, I could have sworn I read somewhere the creator and showrunner was aiming for 10 (10!) seasons, but not indefinite run. I still think that's way too long for this, but it's definite so you could build up to a planned conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

The other thing I was wondering (and maybe I missed something) is how is Nick not only still alive but promoted after threatening to pull a gun on Fred and detaining him in a room while June ran away with Nicole last season? Is his status as a war hero/Eye enough to trump an OG Commander? Or is sending him to the Chicago just a quiet way to get rid of him? I thought he'd be executed for his part in allowing Nicole to be "kidnapped".

Fred deliberately refused to tell anyone official about any of that or what happened because it would get his wife executed and possibly himself to boot.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

He wants to bang Fred, it wasn’t subtle

I wonder if (read: hope) he will make him wear turquoise during.

Evernoob posted:

It was also mentioned Fred was demoted in some way wasn't it?
At the church most other commanders had some white rope on their shoulder, Fred's was black. Is that any indication of "rank"?

OK the rope thing I'm sure of. It has nothing to do with rank and, yes, his was eventually back to white after the child/baby celebration service. His was black then for a time because he was in "mourning" of a sort over his missing child. It's supposed to be like a black armband or wearing black for mourning.

Oh, about the demotion people mentioned, I think it might have been a ding in status rather than something formal, and going to DC is definitely a recovery from it. It's a bit oblique what caused his demotion since Lawrence blamed June, but I think it was just his wife's public reading that lost her the finger. Theoretically he should be getting a reputation as a man who can't control the women of his hosehold--June's known for...lack of servility we'll say and Eden went literally fatally out-of-line--but I actually don't think anyone but Serena was relevant to it. (Of course they don't know about his Martha being in the resistance, and that's probably not uncommon anyway.)

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Well, that was no International Assassin*, but an origins episode on an Ann Dowd character is always welcome. Apart from that, eck. I admit people on here had it right, the show has become shock-chasing, cruel, and small. In a race with itself to top itself with acts of cruelty. That might be fine if it could make them feel meaningful or poignant, but I don't see that.

*International Assassin is a Leftovers episode I'll try not to spoil more than I just did. It's easy for something to pop quickly into your mind when it's your favorite hour of serial television and from one of your favorite series, plus I was thinking about it this week anyhow. However, I do think any time you have an origin story on an Ann Dowd character that has got to be your go-to point of comparison.

If I haven't said it by now, Ann Dowd is pretty much the reason I'll never be able to drop this show, though Janine's character might also be can't-miss too (albeit more for writing than supreme acting in that case). I sort of wish I could get interested in June's descent into supervillainy, but I don't think I feel it. (Maybe I've already seen too many good Jokers?) Anyway, it'll never ever happen, but if they killed off June at the end of this season then changed the show to The Aunt's Tale, I could get on board with that.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Rappaport posted:

Commander Stabler

Everyone here remembers this guy from something different, but I have wikipedia plus memory to rely on instead of memory alone:

Spike from Dinosaurs.

Opferwurst posted:

I liked the little exposition bit about the schools having been privatised some time ago. It tells us that their society was way more hosed up than ours when the nutjobs grabbed power, which is not the impression I got from earlier seasons. Aside from the fertility crisis, everything looked pretty much like regular 2017 which made the whole takeover hard to swallow. Well done piece of world building.

I liked nothing else.

I'm pretty sure it was family law that they said was privatized, not the schools. Could have been even if they didn't say it though.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

That was so silly, patronizing, and just plain wrong that the only justification can be misdirection. Which I bet it won't be. Zach Parsons once did a short story for this very site that where the narrator died at the end, so this can't be that rare. Wasn't a ghost or time travel story either.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

mcmagic posted:

The Lawrence character doesn't behave in believable ways at all.

It just hit me today. I finally placed it, I guess. Lawrence is Professor Henry Higgins. I'm not saying June is supposed to be Eliza now.

And yes I know how messed up what I'm saying is. That's sort of the point.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Huh, that was a good episode. Can we have another?

I thought the show was headed toward an unseemly attempt at audience gratification by having High Commander Spike rape Fred. Possibly my paranoia. Anyway, we got two different audience gratification scenes instead, and they can't be called wrong.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Just started the new season (#4).

Is that you Sally Draper!?

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I've got to say I haven't seen a season of TV improve this much in a long while. (Bojack Horseman maybe?) Not that it's perfect or like season 1 now, but the first half of season 4 was dire, really only worth it for "I'm not a mushroom." OK, that line did justify those 5+ hours, but now the episodes are good and each worth watching, imo. Anyway I was originally just going to try to make fun of this show but now it's earned its way back to being worth debating and, yes, picking some nits.

My current take based on my viewing (and some history), Gilead is not at war with Canada though it is tense like US and Germany in early WW2, German was the single most common ethnicity in America during WW2, WW2 started without America being in it and much of the country wanted to stay out, people love Fred and Serena now pretty much solely because of their pregnancy and the validation it brings, the court was the ICC not a Canadian court, the court proceeding was like a jury-less informal grand jury determining whether Fred gets indicted (i.e. not a trial), and given the fertility devastation and the USA becoming Gilead you have to expect courts work differently in this alternate reality (beyond, you know, giving license to it being TV). Adding in what some people contributed from the book(s) the Sons of Jacob sounds like a combination of the Council on Foreign Relations and the Promise Keepers. I don't want to E/N up the thread, but the Sons of Jacob and the Commanders it gave rise to remind me way, way, way, way too much of my own father for comfort. (In other words, they are disturbingly realistic.) Anyway, it's not really a religious denomination at all; observation I had during a previous season: we have yet to see a Gilead worship service in a Gilead church. (Revival type minister in Serena's mom's house, Nick's wedding during a group marriage ceremony, and that community festival presenting the local newborns to the various castes don't count.)

Still, there's not really an answer to all the points raised because the show is known for reversing itself, dropping threads, or doing things that make no sense. Two examples. One season (last?) built Nick up as some important guy in the military that had secretly done something super sinister. I figured he was the guy who killed the President or bombed the Supreme Court or whatever it was. The reveal never came or I missed it. It might get quietly ignored forever or it might be the twist in the next episode. Harder to wriggle out of: is the war or even just the Chicago front being run by the Boston Council? You'd think the DC bigwigs, including whoever the next two-star High Commander is, might have a bigger say in it.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Sounds like it. Are there any available women that June has not gotten killed that would be shocking for him to have married?

Holy poo poo, I didn't think of it till you asked, but there's High Commander Winslow's (unknowing) widow, the one with the umpteen stolen/rape-produced kids. Maybe that would strain credulity, but this show is still this show.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I'm such a silly goose I forgot my main problem still. These Canada-based characters are supposed to be at least semi-intelligent, and one's a bio professor I think, so why has no one seemed to realize that Fred evidently impregnating Serena implies he could easily be Nichole's biological father? It's such an obvious plot point I assume the writers are holding it in reserve for the finale where newly free and Canada-supported Fred sues June for custody or visitation.

And Nick could have married Serena's mom, I guess, but that would be even sillier (but less exciting?) than him marrying the Winslow widow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

What, no castration?