Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Cranappleberry posted:

I am way more interested in how the world and Gilead actually functions economically and socially than I am about June's story. Also about history and what actually created the decline in birth rates.

Plus all the stories of others. I really liked the POV of the characters pre-Gilead showing their development and motivations. Also the shorts of June and her mom and so on showing how Gilead came to be. At least there was some Janine pathos toward the end. I hoped she would stay with the militia group to leave the thread open-ended instead of her going with June, which meant she was certainly going not do that and then die.

this would be a horrible direction to take the show in. you’d be one of seven people actually watching it at that point. who cares about gilead politics or whatever, they’re clearly just half assing all of that in service of whatever the plot needs right now at this moment

i mean, the show is already overstaying it’s welcome but they’ve locked themselves in to june’s story specifically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

back at the end of season 3 my wife said they should have made this a dark comedy series where june escapes in the final episode of every season, then the first episode of the following season she’s magically back at the waterfords with no real explanation. woulda been a better show imo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

socialsecurity posted:

I felt like they needed to show why/how Gilead hasn't taken Chicago beyond a dozen lovely dudes in a warehouse when they constantly talk up their military.

it doesn’t matter, the show just needs a place that acts as “the front lines” and none of the writers have given any more thought to it than that.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Looten Plunder posted:

I love that Gilead can basically commit was is surely a warcrime by announcing a ceasefire and then carpet bombing the front minutes beforehand but if an NGO snuggles one Gilead person they'll be outraged and never let any of them there again.

i don’t understand why gilead is 1. apparently willing to (nuclear? chemical?) bomb areas into toxic uninhabitable wasteland 2. sieging chicago and only chicago for multiple years, cutting off food and medicine 3. allowing canadian humanitarian missions to break the siege and deliver food and medicine to the enemies they’re trying to starve out

and why can’t they capture chicago from a warehouse full of scared militia men? how is this a multiple year mission?

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 20, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

vseslav.botkin posted:

To be fair she literally has a concussion.

what’s your excuse?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Dolphin posted:

She has a TBI, years of mental trauma, she's disoriented and confused, her single remaining source of emotional comfort for god knows how long just disappeared. I give her some slack personally.

i mean sure, but the show hasn’t focused on stuff like tbi as a theme so if they were deliberately trying to make her act erratically with the idea that her concussion and brain injuries are major contributors to that, they really screwed it up. it doesn’t feel like it fits thematically

like what if in the next episode they reveal that some of her recent behavior was because of an infection or parasite she picked up in the sealed milk car. im sure they could make that make sense in a way but it would be bad storytelling

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

what happened with the colonies? also remember in season 1 where handmaids got executed for talking to each other in the store? but now somehow they keep telling inventing reasons for not putting june on the wall?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

flashy_mcflash posted:

They've (badly) explained that away by saying that fertile women are so scarce that they can't kill any of them. Despite having a scene where a commander threw 3-4 of them off the roof just prior.

surely you just make an exception for terrorist enemy of the state #1 most wanted who keeps getting people (even some fertile women!) killed constantly

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Wafflecopper posted:

This may come as a surprise to you but adaptations don’t always stick strictly to the source material and the existence of black people is a weird detail to get hung up on

can’t you just let the guy get upset about uh, the presence of minority actors, in a tv show he doesn’t like?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

flashy_mcflash posted:

I really did think that one of the (many) scary things about the book version of Gilead was that they were so racist that even in a fertility crisis they still weren't willing to consider bearing children with/from minorities. That is an, um, impressive commitment to racism.

The show is definitely better for having Black/POC characters but it necessarily means they have to soften that image of Gilead, which is also a little problematic. It's a tough needle to thread and I think the show could do more to emphasize or explore Gilead's begrudging acceptance of minorities for the sake of breeding but I can also understand why they don't do so.

i dont know about this. i don't think gilead being too soft and likeable is very high up on the list of problems with the show

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Fellatio del Toro posted:

what's the deal with the commanders in Boston? I thought Fred was like one of the founders of Gilead and for like two seasons they make it seem like the guys in Boston are running things. then they go to DC and the Boston commanders are nobodies. then next season Fred's driver is running the military and secret police and border patrol, and Lawrence is not just some economics nerd but is also in charge of international relations and personally overseeing prisoner exchanges

kind of a weird choice to make to make a show about an American Nazi analog where the head of the SS and the guy orchestrating the rape and slave labor programs are secretly good guys, even though they can freely go to Canada whenever they want and choose to stick around doing those jobs

lol that’s what i was thinking the whole time too

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lawrence isn’t just in charge of international relations, he’s also aunt lydias boss and responsible for giving her a bad performance review if she gets too violent at the red center

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Wafflecopper posted:

weren't they talking about making 10 seasons or something at some point? or am i thinking of another show?

yes they said they hope to make 10 seasons if possible