Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
sorry to necromance this dead thread, but I'm only just now catching up on S3 and Commander Waterford just got pranked arrested by the Canucks and I'm laughing my rear end off and I had to share with someone

the setup was so abrupt and unintentionally funny — "huh, I wonder where this guy is taking us. oh well, I suppose I'll just keep following him :v: "

edit: o poo poo, Serena gave him up :lol:

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Shocking lack of attention to detail and continuity with the normal American flag in s4e03 when the American official is speaking with Luke.

I thought the flag with 48 hollow stars introduced early in the series was one of the coolest things in the show. Maybe the American government-in-exile's procurement order for sad flags fell through, but otherwise, disappointing from a show that pays so much attention to aesthetics.

edit:

:laffo:
V V V

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 17, 2021

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
dear god, things got so dumb in s4e03

"The Lieutenant" is a hilariously bad name for whatever that guy was. Lieutenant... to whom? Not intimidating or suited to the character at all.

Also, why the gently caress is June such a goddamn weenie? Like — piss and vinegar in one scene where it's clear she might be tortured for months on end and then she folds like a cheap suitcase before her daughter — who doesn't even recognize her! — and in the absence of any threat!

The bridge scene with Nick was the dumbest goddamn thing, and honestly, after everything that just happened, gently caress him forever.

Aunt Lydia is going to make a big deal about not killing June or the other escapee handmaids and then some meathead driver is just going to pop off and cap anyone he can just because they're running across a train crossing?. Also, how was that convoy so comically underprotected?

I honestly feel like I am being jerked around as far as this whole escape, capture, second chance; escape, capture, third chance cycle goes.

Lastly, is Aunt Lydia the only aunt around these days? I feel like it is not good dystopian practice to have a minder get so attached to her charges. Also, her performance record has got to be dogshit at this point.

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 17, 2021

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
June repeatedly trying to turn around on the shores of Lake Michigan to go back to get the daughter that recoiled at the sight of her own mother from a theocratic garrison state and volunteering to get turned in like it ain't no thing when in fact it was incredibly easy to hide or disguise her from boat cops were breaking points for me. Maybe I'm a psycho or maybe it's because I've never been a mother but June's inability to judge what is realistic and compartmentalize and accept loss — especially in a world as cruel as Gilead and in moments where she is inches away from realizing hope — is truly wild and I find it deeply unrelatable and possibly even a sign of bad writing!

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

fart simpson posted:

like what if in the next episode they reveal that some of her recent behavior was because of an infection or parasite she picked up in the sealed milk car. im sure they could make that make sense in a way but it would be bad storytelling

all I could think about that episode was how foul they both must have smelled afterward and how no one was talking about it, not even a throwaway line

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Lum_ posted:

The book made it quite clear that the Sons of Jacob were not mainline evangelicals and in fact Baptists were some of the first shot/fled to the hills to resist, so an angry revolting Texas is easy to imagine.

The twisted theology of Gilead has always been one of the most interesting aspects of The Handmaid's Tale for me — if the Sons of Jacob we're not mainline Protestants or Baptists — what real-world equivalent were they?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Looten Plunder posted:

Speaking of Canadian lawyers. Maybe I'm not concentrating hard enough, but it the smug suit guy that appears to be Serena's handler but also June's handler playing both sides or is it a case of his number one enemy being Waterford so he's siding with both June and Serena as separate ways to take him down?

Tuello? I think he's just an American official assigned to managing the Waterford arrests and the ICC case, and I would imagine he has free rein to work whoever he needs to ensure an optimal outcome for the American government-in-exile.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
the American government-in-exile is probably toothless and relying on the Canadian government pretty heavily for everything, so that's an easy thing to think

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Vorgen posted:

Are we done yet? Can we stop watching now?

remigious posted:

I don’t feel that watching this season was a great use of my time overall.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I would have found it more cathartic for Fred to get hoist by his own petard, and hang according to laws he helped write after a kangaroo court.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

fart simpson posted:

yes they said they hope to make 10 seasons if possible

:ughh: christ