Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm also getting tired of super slow-mo when it's not even a dramatic scene. You can watch this show in x2 speed when there is no dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm confused, I'm not sure I want to watch this season, and I don't care about spoilers. But I thought Emily's wife got hanged in that flashback, after their trial for being gender traitors?

Nah, she was caught having an affair with a Martha who was hanged whilst she got her ladybits mutilated. She got seperated from her wife and kid at the border as they had visas and she was no longer married to her wife due to the Gilead law change

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I hope all this has been fleshed out in the/a book or something and is a perfectly executed story beat because this whole thing has the potential to completely jump the shark. There is literally no reason any of this should work.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Lum_ posted:

Canada apparently has no problem makin' babies.
Didn't they touch on this last episode with Luke buying the baby supplies right before June called? He did the whole "how does anyone even afford this stuff?" to which the response "no one else needs to buy it".

Lum_ posted:

Also this season is clearly leaning into retelling the Elian Gonzalez saga, which is a spoiler for how it'll end, I guess.
Holy poo poo, the kids name was Nicole? This is so on the nose.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The logic of this is so dumb. Gilead wants their PR machine to work wonders by appearing to be totally loving and friendly and respectful of woman and a really good trade partner/international friend.

And Canada are scared because Gilead has big guns and they don't want those guns pointed at them? gently caress off, Gilead aren't going to do poo poo. When it's The World vs Gilead, you really thing they are going to start something with Canada of all places? Over a child?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I always got the impression they were't strong at all. Kind of like a Soviet Russia or North Korea. They have poo poo technology, no food and a bunch of oppressed people but they have something key that everyone is scared of/wants (Nukes/Children).

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That bullshit a couple of pages back from the creators about "It's June's story so she has to survive. We know she survives cause she is narrating it from the future." just makes me angry. They are 100 in the moment lines of dialogue, not something written in the future. And hell, even if they were, Anne Frank didn't survive but we still got the story provided to us in her words.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Well that was certainly something!

Whilst it was nice to have the universe slightly expanded with the Chicago stuff, for a show that spins its wheels a lot, that was horribly under explored.

Who the gently caress were the resistance?
What was their objective?
Why are they poor and under resourced when they have the entire USA/world backing them?
Who were that other group?
Was there just normal civilians or was that them?
Wasn't the frontline in Chicago between Gilead and the rest of the US? Why does a ceasefire need to happen for her to cross to Canada, just walk there now that your in non Gilead controlled territory.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Also, was weirdo blonde commander doing some moustache twirling double cross with that whole ceasefire scene or am I just misreading the narrative intent there?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I love that Gilead can basically commit was is surely a warcrime by announcing a ceasefire and then carpet bombing the front minutes beforehand but if an NGO snuggles one Gilead person they'll be outraged and never let any of them there again.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Canadian lawyers. Maybe I'm not concentrating hard enough, but it the smug suit guy that appears to be Serena's handler but also June's handler playing both sides or is it a case of his number one enemy being Waterford so he's siding with both June and Serena as separate ways to take him down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Lum_ posted:

- The ending was REALLY clumsy. June, still with Waterford parts all over her, hugs her baby and tells Luke, who's really suffered enough, "I must return to my home planet now." And again, from an interview the writers gave, they don't even know where they're going with it! It's just... dumb writing. Which describes this show when it departs from Atwood in general.

Wait, they don't even know what that line is supposed to mean? What the gently caress? That whole thing makes zero sense. What is Luke even distraught about? The last he saw of June was her going for an afternoon stroll. Are we to expect he sees his wife 18 hours later covered in scratches and blood and immediately knows everything she's done?

This loving show.