Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gort posted:

It's a bit of a double standard if fighting is completely governed by your characters stats and rules but the rules for talking and thinking are handwaved away.

D&D is and has always been a game about mainly dungeon delving and combat to the point where the rulebooks are over 90% about those things . All the social stuff is just there to support those activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Avalerion posted:

Alright but would you also tell the figher he can't set a troll on fire because he doesn't have enough lore to know to do that?

But talking to people isn't the same as setting someone on fire. Fire = hot = bad is something that kids learn. But you might need a lore or religion check to know that the fiend over there is actually immune to fire.

Two people can say the exact same thing to someone...actually hell the same person can say the exact same thing to someone, and get wildly different reactions depending on any number of variable factors at any point in time. That's what the Die roll represents. The persuasion skill represents what your floor is.

Like a Bard can get to a +12 - +15 Persuasion pretty easily That means they at their worst will roll a 13-16. They are orators who even on their worst day can talk their way out of moderate difficulty situations.

Your personal skill and ability at roleplaying doesn't factor in, except in the case where you are able to talk yourself into advantage(aka inspiration) from the GM(i.e the I get him drunk example).

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Lord, save us the pedantry of yet another Troll weakness meta-game argument

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would say the Troll fire weakness is fairly common knowledge in universe. (the acid less so)

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Had to google it because I didn't remember the title: Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen.

Look at how groggy it is:

Looks like one of the many dungeons (and gameplay) in divinity: original sin 2! I'm in

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Avalerion posted:

This train of thoughts could apply to anything though. Do you also expect a dumb fighter to charge in blindly instead of making sound tactical decisions? Or roll int to figure out the villain's plot instead of expecting the players to do it themselves?

Obviously in tabletop gaming the idea is to have fun, but the purpose of the game is to play a role, and if your character's stats don't matter at all then what's the point? So if I have a fighter with a 5 intelligence, I should try to play him as something of an idiot. That doesn't mean he's got a death wish; he's a fighter after all and even at level one you expect a character to be somewhat familiar with the primary tactics involved in their class. But I'm also not going to play him as some sort of Sherlock Holmes. And of course even a blind pig finds an acorn now and again - there are exceptions to everything.

I wouldn't expect a DM to roll a skill check for something like the villain's plot, and yes there's a "meta" aspect to that sort of thing. I think skill checks are more for circumstances like when an NPC is lying to the party; the DM might roll behind the scene to see if players who have ranks in perception might notice something's amiss.

End of the day it's all about having a good time and if your DM is doing it right it doesn't matter how he runs the table.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Actually, there's only one correct way to play tabletop RPG's, and nobody knows what it is except for Karl Urban. The rest of us have been doing it wrong our whole lives.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think it's reasonable to assume that unless it's part of your character concept, any PC with levels in their class has basic competence in that classes function regardless of their stats. The whole concept of a Fighter is that you're a master at fighting and have a deep understanding of the rules of combat. Its what separates you from City Guard 19. A PC is supposed to be special in that regard.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

To be honest, that looks rad. Maybe I'm a grog.

I'm unironically excited, tbh.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Had to google it because I didn't remember the title: Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen.

Look at how groggy it is:

Looking forward to see how this one turns out, the Kickstarter was a modest success but they really promised the world with content in the pitch. It's not imploded under the weight on its own design so it'll be interesting to see if they had to scale things back considerably to considerably to ship a finished product or they somehow actually managed to make a handcrafted 80+ hour open world game on a shoestring budget.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Natural 20 posted:

For better or for worse I've trained in public speaking and debating for upwards of 8 years of my life and I play D&D with a few people who speak English as a second language.

Not through any brilliance on my part or any lack of brilliance on theirs, I'll be able to make more persuasive arguments through roleplay because I'm a) more familiar with the language and b) able to refer back to similar arguments in the past.

If they're playing a charismatic bard and I'm playing a fighter that looks and smells like a toe, why exactly do I get to be more persuasive than them purely because I, as a person, am more persuasive than the person playing the bard?

D&D is about being able to play someone completely different to you and to not be bounded purely by who you are as a person. Just roleplaying away every situation and ignoring persuasion or charisma as a stat removes the ability for a lot of people to do that.

I get that approach, for that group. But the inverse of this applies. If someone has great social skills they should be able to use them at the table. It necessarily in all games if that’s the groups approach, but in a lot of them. Rpgs are fundamentally social games.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

multijoe posted:

Looking forward to see how this one turns out, the Kickstarter was a modest success but they really promised the world with content in the pitch. It's not imploded under the weight on its own design so it'll be interesting to see if they had to scale things back considerably to considerably to ship a finished product or they somehow actually managed to make a handcrafted 80+ hour open world game on a shoestring budget.

Well, they will not allow multiclassing due to requiring too much development time apparently, so that is one consequence

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

multijoe posted:

All good eurojank is at least halfway imploded under its own weight

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Any game with a two part title separated by a colon is idiot trash.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Yeah, the Baldur's Gate games were garbage.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Finally, someone with the courage to say what we've all been thinking about Planescape and KotOR 2.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sombrerotron posted:

Finally, someone with the courage to say what we've all been thinking about Planescape and KotOR 2.

Kotor 2 had two colons, so they cancel out.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Star Wars: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast: Jedi Academy

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Schubalts posted:

Yeah by Strom's logic that would mean basically every Star Wars game is idiot trash and hell if I'm going to stand for Yoda Stories being insulted like that!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Star Wars: Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy

:cmon:

I would argue the opposite. A game gets better the more colons it has in the title

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Chairchucker posted:

LOL whoops turns out I was thinking of a different game, 'SOLASTA Crown of the Magister'.

Just tried the demo and I was favourably impressed.

The voice acting is LOL, but about typical for this sort of game and the camera needs work.It's still early Alpha so hopefully that'll be fixed.

The game itself, a 5E based game, seemed promising thought. Solid enough turn based combat and I really liked their take on movement with characters able to jump across gaps and drop down etc.

I'm definitely wish-listing it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Solasta's demo honestly felt to me like it was surprisingly close to what Larian's doing with Baldur's Gate 3 but with a far cleaner user interface. They also are doing far less in terms of implementing classes, races, abilities and quest solutions though, but I'm pretty interested in it overall.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Solasta's demo seemed really bad to me. Admittedly some of that is because of pre-alpha. But that spider fight was ridiculous period. And so is their absolute garbage inventory where a single weapon, of which you can potentially loot 5 or so, takes up more space than a character can have with no gear at all.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
The voice acting was really bad, but I see what they are aiming for with the way party members chime in with whatever personality flags they have. I thought the exploration and combat was pretty cool, to be honest.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
The camera was a problem on occasion. Inventory management was just ... no. They should not have released even an alpha with inventory management like this, and I have no reason not to believe that this isn't how they intended the inventory management.

The final fight of the demo is. I don't know if they intended it to be a near tpk, a tpk, or if they expected people to not have a problem with it. This is something I assume would be fixed. I cast Scorching Ray to attack a lot of enemies. But I had disadvantage for some reason. No explanation given. And I wasn't adjacent to any enemies at the time. A huge series of misses. The enemy doing a third or a half my life in a single hit. two characters, the ones that weren't spellcasters funnily enough, went down and then proceeded to fail three death saves, also wasting any healing done on them as they are immediately knocked down again after being healed. It took more than 20 rounds, this is utterly ridiculous, to finish that fight. With two characters permanently dead. Also you can't rest if your party isn't right next to each other. So if anyone dies and you move on you will never be able to rest again.

I was fine with the voice acting and the animated scenes. Especially as it is early access. But saying 5.1 SRD worries me that they won't have much options, though it seems like they might be making their own subraces/subclasses. So will need to see what they actually come up with. But what little we have seen of BG3 is just so much better.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I can't remember that much about Solastas but I'm pretty sure I somehow got through the whole thing with zero deaths.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah I had no problem either, didn't even have anybody go close to going down.

RNG maybe :shrug:

Did you rest before the fight?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I had just enough dicey moments to keep it exciting with no deaths, never felt like I was lacking options. I saw a steam forum post by a dev saying that demo was from last September, and that inventory has been changed multiple times since. It might earn a little niche as a 5e icewind dale type of romp, while BG3 will pretty clearly be a huge bombastic adventure.
Forgive my phone posting.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 24, 2020

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I did not rest before hand, I know it was an option but it also seemed like a bad option if you were actually trying to save this missing person, because taking a long rest meant he was definitely dead.

It would not have changed things, I would have had another heal spell that would have healed less than the damage I took from a spider, and another scorching ray that would have all missed because of the inexplicable disadvantage to the attack rolls. Still no idea why she had disadvantage.

I have to wonder how many enemies everyone had. It specifically mentioned fewer enemies with more light, and I had as much light as I could manage, but still had an overwhelming number of enemies.

But yes RNG had a lot to do with that fight. Apparently others didn't have an issue with that fight. But I had a lot of misses, the enemy tended to do half my life in a hit, maybe a third of the fighter's. And it took me more than 20 rounds to end that fight, which is probably at least twice as long as the longest fight should ever be in D&D.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Ryuujin posted:

I did not rest before hand, I know it was an option but it also seemed like a bad option if you were actually trying to save this missing person, because taking a long rest meant he was definitely dead.

It would not have changed things, I would have had another heal spell that would have healed less than the damage I took from a spider, and another scorching ray that would have all missed because of the inexplicable disadvantage to the attack rolls. Still no idea why she had disadvantage.

I have to wonder how many enemies everyone had. It specifically mentioned fewer enemies with more light, and I had as much light as I could manage, but still had an overwhelming number of enemies.

But yes RNG had a lot to do with that fight. Apparently others didn't have an issue with that fight. But I had a lot of misses, the enemy tended to do half my life in a hit, maybe a third of the fighter's. And it took me more than 20 rounds to end that fight, which is probably at least twice as long as the longest fight should ever be in D&D.

You probably had disadvantage due to the enemies being in darkness, at least that was my experience in the Solasta demo before I started casting Light and using torches.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ah, the spiders were missing me a lot.Now I'm wondering if they all had disadvantage because I was so well lit up. The game did tell you they really hate light and were weak to it so I made sure all 4 of my characters were holding torches/light cantrips.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I see that Steam's added some new screenshots and a new video...is there any in-game footage at all anywhere yet?

E: Oh look a 3hr pax presentation nevermind

itry
Aug 23, 2019

i am harry posted:

is there any in-game footage at all anywhere yet?

There's the PAX live demo.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

itry posted:

There's the PAX live demo.

Is PAX still happening????

itry
Aug 23, 2019

ikanreed posted:

Dunno. I was talking about the one that was in February.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYSqQuqCAZI

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ikanreed posted:

already happened

e;fb

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'm really interested in what they're going to do with Rangers, since they've got rid of both Favoured Enemy and Natural Explorer for being too situational. Their level 1 ability now is called "Keeper of the Veil" according to the footage, so I'd guess they're making them a bit more planar focused, considering that the veil is what separates the Prime Material from the Feywild. That said, what the ability actually does is anyone's guess.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

CottonWolf posted:

I'm really interested in what they're going to do with Rangers, since they've got rid of both Favoured Enemy and Natural Explorer for being too situational. Their level 1 ability now is called "Keeper of the Veil" according to the footage, so I'd guess they're making them a bit more planar focused, considering that the veil is what separates the Prime Material from the Feywild. That said, what the ability actually does is anyone's guess.

Probably a mixture of the two. You choose a home plane where you get the bonuses to exploring in and the advantages against anything from other planes. If they make the advantages exciting then this could be okay.

If it is like this then it is still a bit on the boring side .

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I finally got around to playing Deadfire, partly in preparation for this. It's really good, too bad we probably won't see anything else in that setting.

Also if you have never played even Baldur's Gate 2 then you should not be allowed to work for an RPG dev, Swen should tell them to just clear their desks and get the gently caress out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Phlegmish posted:

Also if you have never played even Baldur's Gate 2 then you should not be allowed to work for an RPG dev, Swen should tell them to just clear their desks and get the gently caress out

Agreed, but applied to Wizardry 8 instead.