Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Grondoth posted:

Eder is a perfect first companion. He's a frontline fighter which is going to be helpful in most cases, and just a chill guy who's pleasant to be around. Most of the time, you're gonna want a fighter around, and having him be a cool dude who just wants to help is a great way to introduce the game world to your player. Your first companions being an evil fighter who's a member of an interdimensional organization of raiders and slavers and a cleric of the evil goddess of night is... I've already said my piece on this before, the companions are seriously my biggest complaint right now.

I think this is cool because ordinarily I would absolutely just hang out with the good boys and girls in my party

I am hoping that down the line they and my not necessarily evil but self-interested wizard can grow a little

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Grondoth posted:

Eder is a perfect first companion. He's a frontline fighter which is going to be helpful in most cases, and just a chill guy who's pleasant to be around. Most of the time, you're gonna want a fighter around, and having him be a cool dude who just wants to help is a great way to introduce the game world to your player. Your first companions being an evil fighter who's a member of an interdimensional organization of raiders and slavers and a cleric of the evil goddess of night is... I've already said my piece on this before, the companions are seriously my biggest complaint right now.

Shadowheart is just misunderstood. Give her a chance, listen to her mixtapes, hang out with her at the mall

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

It's gonna turn out she's a brainwiped Selunite cleric tricked into worshipping Shar but then turns out she was always horrible.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Lol that'd kind of rule. She's a horrible rear end in a top hat and Shar just taught her to hide it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

These are all lies. I can change her

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Started up a new run to give a sorcerer a try after about 6 months away. The new dice roll prompt is awesome; being able to on demand case spells that gives bonuses is dope, very cool A+++.

The new siren quest is good little piece of side content, love it.

Being able to free shadowheart and immediately find her is cool and good and probably helps with accidentally stumbling into the first intellect devourer fight without her.

Having fun with sorcerer but it's an awful lot of spamming flamebolt. But that's low level DnD for you! Given the way Larian has been making the less mechanical spells (friends, guidance, etc), I'm wondering if there's actually a good benefit to the versatility that wizards get. Guess time will tell.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
it largely depends on how robust the later spell levels are and if larian adheres to the core class spell restrictions. There are a lot of spells sorc doesn't have access to outside non phb subclasses

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Phlegmish posted:

These are all lies. I can change her

I don't judge. I'm going to try and take Gale's mind off a literal goddess.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
The companions in this game interest me because I kind of want to kill all of them. If this game has a pit like PoE, they are all going in.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Am I remembering right that Larian decided to add the Neutral/Evil companions to the game first? I'm sorta hoping the Good companions are all kinda crap people too, I've liked all of them so far.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

funkymonks posted:

The companions in this game interest me because I kind of want to kill all of them. If this game has a pit like PoE, they are all going in.

This is fair, playing this multiplayer, like I plan to, would allow me to not have to use some of these people so they'd end up straight murdered ASAP

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

ArchRanger posted:

Am I remembering right that Larian decided to add the Neutral/Evil companions to the game first? I'm sorta hoping the Good companions are all kinda crap people too, I've liked all of them so far.

You remember correctly. As I recall their reasoning was that people rarely picked the Neutral/Evil characters unless they had to, so they never got a lot of testing.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I don't remember Shadowheart being particularly evil to be honest? Like she'd prefer you stay on the task of keeping her brains from getting ate but beyond that she seems nice enough.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Caidin posted:

I don't remember Shadowheart being particularly evil to be honest? Like she'd prefer you stay on the task of keeping her brains from getting ate but beyond that she seems nice enough.

Between her, Gale and Wyll you probably got the neutral alignments partially covered at least.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Shadowheart is probably good aligned at her core, but is putting on a huge front.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

UnknownMercenary posted:

I feel like I'm the extreme minority here for actually liking Lae'zel. I didn't find Astarion and Wyll died before I could recruit him.

lae'zel's great. but the way BG3 handles its little long rest npc camp moments means that a lot of her more interesting bits go unseen. i think she has like two scenes that will only show before you reach the druid grove. but how many people long rest between finding lae'zel and doing that?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Horizon Burning posted:

lae'zel's great. but the way BG3 handles its little long rest npc camp moments means that a lot of her more interesting bits go unseen. i think she has like two scenes that will only show before you reach the druid grove. but how many people long rest between finding lae'zel and doing that?

Yeah this game has pretty good character interactions. Too bad from the story's standpoint you should be scrambling 24/7 so you don't get a case of squid face. Cyberpunk, among many others, had this same problem. Two weeks to live? That's enough time to become king of this underground street racing circuit!

I liked the way Pathfinder Kingmaker handled the urgency issue. There were hard time limits, then periods where you could faff about until another crisis arose. Different conceits, but it's interesting how hard it is to weave sidequests into a narrative with an implied time constraint.

Aurubin fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 16, 2021

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Dexo posted:

Shadowheart is probably good aligned at her core, but is putting on a huge front.

I haven't played in quite a while, but my impression was that she was either brainwashed or under some sort of geas.

I would like to see the "good" npcs before I judge, but I'm ok with the companions so far. I don't care for half of them, but they're not deal-breakers.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Aurubin posted:

Yeah this game has pretty good character interactions. Too bad from the story's standpoint you should be scrambling 24/7 so you don't get a case of squid face. Cyberpunk, among many others, had this same problem. Two weeks to live? That's enough time to become king of this underground street racing circuit!

I liked the way Pathfinder Kingmaker handled the urgency issue. There were hard time limits, then periods where you could faff about until another crisis arose. Different conceits, but it's interesting how hard it is to weave sidequests into a narrative with an implied time constraint.

yeah, it's also the fact that they have those 'only before' bits, too. apparently each character has a bunch that only fire before events -- or after, of course, but most people see those. but i think just about every character has one or two things that only show up before you reach the druid grove and then it appears that there's a sort of primacy issue where certain characters will have their events override others. add on to that the special ones which only happen after certain events (eg. the visit from the demon guy) and it feels like you can end up just missing interesting character moments through no fault of your own. like, i probably don't long rest once before getting to the druid's grove.

apparently there's a similar issue with a lot of events being gated by maximum approval, especially gale. so if you get gale's approval too high too quickly (which isn't difficult) then you just don't see a lot of his storyline specific stuff. it feels like there's a lot of companion stuff they're trying to cram into too few long rests.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
There's definitely going to need to be some tweaking to the resting and companion pacing yeah. Events should probably "stack" so you see them in the correct order, instead of having stuff override each other. The first time I played, I think I did my first long rest when I had fully exhausted every alternative resource and got thrown straight into the cutscene with the demon lol

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Shadowheart is neutral evil, Estariom is neutral evil, Laezel is lawful evil, Wyll is chaotic good, Gale is neutral good.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Shadowheart is neutral evil, Estariom is neutral evil, Laezel is lawful evil, Wyll is chaotic good, Gale is neutral good.

Maybe Shadowheart is Chaotic Neutral? The alignment that doesn't mean anything much.

I did her romance thing and she seemed lost rather than evil.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
The concept of alignment chart is the dumbest thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jack Trades posted:

The concept of alignment chart is the dumbest thing.

Smartest thing 5e did was remove most of the mechanical effects associated with the alignment chart. Protection from Good and Protection from Evil were merged into the same spell and protects you from outer planar beings, not things that live near you, etc.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

A Perfect Twist posted:

Maybe Shadowheart is Chaotic Neutral? The alignment that doesn't mean anything much.

I did her romance thing and she seemed lost rather than evil.

Nah she's hyper selfish and is only happy when you're doing what she wants you to do.

I view alignments like horoscopes, totally accurate.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

"I'm a Taurus born in the year of the Pig when Jupiter was in descent and my blood type is B+ when means it is my moral imperative to kill the orc babies."

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
How's the combat in this compare to Divinity Original Sin 2?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Gort posted:

It's stuck with the lovely D&D system so it's nowhere near as deep or reactive, especially if you're not a caster but they seem to be willing to make changes to improve it so it's hard to say how the final version will play.

It'll probably be fine but not as good as DOS2.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Gort posted:

If you know DOS2 and you're marginally aware of DnD rules, there's not much else you need to know. It is great if you love DOS2. From there it's a matter of taste. Burning spell slots really sucks. But that's 5e.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

They tie the limited resources given each day to events happening at your camp when you long rest (so you can't just reuse skills over and over and then hit the bedroll after every combat like DOS2). Unfortunately I've found that you can definitely go a while without resting if you're strategic with your slots and potentially have a backlog of story/companion events lined up.

Also pushing people off of ledges to their deaths is always super satisfying.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

change my name posted:

Also pushing people off of ledges to their deaths is always super satisfying.

Me pushing: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me being pushed: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Have they updated the behaviors of your party members so that every single one of them is not insufferable no matter what you do? I'm thinking about giving this another shot and am going to try to get past how it's basically a reskin of D:OS.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

nobody got a gun to your head, just don't play it

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Stokes posted:

Have they updated the behaviors of your party members so that every single one of them is not insufferable no matter what you do? I'm thinking about giving this another shot and am going to try to get past how it's basically a reskin of D:OS.

The rear end in a top hat companions are still the ones in, so no.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Stokes posted:

I got my friend hooked on the EA this weekend and she was surprised that any of the characters are supposed to be evil. They've toned down the rear end in a top hat-ishness a lot since the first launch

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

change my name posted:

I got my friend hooked on the EA this weekend and she was surprised that any of the characters are supposed to be evil. They've toned down the rear end in a top hat-ishness a lot since the first launch

Huh. That's not the kind of thing that usually gets patched in games.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Lmao they haven't changed the companions at all, goons are just realising that the companions aren't the psychos they imagined them as because they're used to bioware friendship simulators

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The only thing they did was pretty much remove some of the "x character disapproves" points where outside of larger bigger swing choices a companion might say hey I don't like that, but not dock you as far as points to their reputation or whatever.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Horizon Burning posted:

Lmao they haven't changed the companions at all, goons are just realising that the companions aren't the psychos they imagined them as because they're used to bioware friendship simulators

Except there was a patch to tone down their disapproval when you didn’t do exactly what they want back in December, and some dialog/conversations are definitely different from launch. Shadowheart’s first thing at the locked temple door is way less confrontational than it used to be, etc.

Like the companions are fine but not everything is “lol goons” Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Horizon Burning posted:

I personally never felt they were overbearing but jesus christ this is something Larian literally patched and had the VO's record new lines for: https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3s-save-breaking-patch-makes-companions-a-little-less-dickish/