Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

jokes posted:

I liked the dragonborn with wings unfit for flight and only a lil bit of fire breath.

ya it’s fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Dragonborn and Warforged are both terrible and goofy and should be deleted.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
eh, Dragonborn are just big kobolds and Warforged are just little golems

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gort posted:

eh, Dragonborn are just big kobolds and Warforged are just little golems

Little golems is fine, but big kobold takes away half of what's interesting about kobolds.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Solasta just published a dlc yesterday that brings it in line with the PHB classes/races.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Solasta just published a dlc yesterday that brings it in line with the PHB classes/races.

No, they only use SRD and their own homebrew, so anything in the PHB but not in the SRD won't ever be in Solasta outside of mods. And they don't have gnomes yet, which are in the SRD.

They do have every base class in the PHB with the new DLC I believe. but they don't have all of the subclasses for any of the classes

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Skwirl posted:

No, they only use SRD and their own homebrew, so anything in the PHB but not in the SRD won't ever be in Solasta outside of mods. And they don't have gnomes yet, which are in the SRD.

They do have every base class in the PHB with the new DLC I believe. but they don't have all of the subclasses for any of the classes

Sorry I meant to say SRD not PHB and I forgot about Gnomes. I don't know if they're even planned.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Sorry I meant to say SRD not PHB and I forgot about Gnomes. I don't know if they're even planned.

Solasta not having the great weapon mastery feat is bizarre.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Solasta is ok and also boring but D&D homebrew on the computer which begs the question why not just make your own rpg game and not use d&d rules if you're going to just homebrew poo poo

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ichabod Tane posted:

Solasta is ok and also boring but D&D homebrew on the computer which begs the question why not just make your own rpg game and not use d&d rules if you're going to just homebrew poo poo

The 5e system itself translates well into a game, which is the only thing they're actually using but is still established and marketable. I imagine it would cost them a lot more to use the licenses for the full D&D setting, races, subclasses etc. This way they can still use the prospect of it being a 5e game to draw people in and also be unique with their homebrew races and subclasses. I know I really liked the idea of looking through all the new subclass options. The new Monk ones look pretty cool.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ichabod Tane posted:

I have a friend who I've tried multiple time to get to play something *not* based on DnD and every time he says "if you have enough imagination DnD is all you need!" and I'm like bruh.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's insane that people refuse to play any PnP systems other than the worst one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jack Trades posted:

It's insane that people refuse to play any PnP systems other than the worst one.

There are many PnP systems far far worse than D&D. Fatal and Friends is called that for a reason.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

D&D would be improved by the addition of the anal circumference stat.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Not really the same thing at all but the Vagrus game was fun, if you're into being a merchant caravan in post apocalyptic fantasy eviler roman empire.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ichabod Tane posted:

The only homebrew is subclasses (and maybe some spells?) because the SRD only includes 1 per class and it would be a much less interesting game if you only had one subclass per class, because you then just have a class. Aside from that it's a more accurate representation of 5e than BG3. BG3 probably makes more changes to the base mechanics than Solasta.

It also has fairly robust campaign creator, so I'm hoping it eventually turns into the second coming of NWN1 modding scene, with much better core mechanics (even if you think 3.5 is better than 5e, I think most people would agree turn based combat and being able to directly control multiple party members is much better than NWN's implementation of 3.5).

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

The Forgotten Realms (also Planescape) and DnD are inseparable in my mind. I can't really get myself on board with Solastra, even if it looks cool.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Solasta's okay played multiplayer, but I can't imagine playing something so primitive-feeling single player.

The voice acting is also hilariously bad in a lot of places, and the party's "characters" gain and lose "character traits" at the drop of a hat.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Gort posted:

The voice acting is also hilariously bad in a lot of places, and the party's "characters" gain and lose "character traits" at the drop of a hat.
It feels like they just paid some people on Fiverr to read the scripts with no direction. There are some lore words whose pronunciation varies wildly depending on who is talking. That said, it's clearly a labour of love and as janky as it is, I do enjoy it even on single player.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I paused a Mass Effect 3 re-play to try out the new Solasta updates. Single player.

It’s basically my ideal “play while I listen to audiobooks and podcasts” game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gort posted:

Solasta's okay played multiplayer, but I can't imagine playing something so primitive-feeling single player.

I love my dorky idiots and find the way they always stand there like they need to do a giant poo intensely charming

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I made it through the original campaign by turning off the voice acting; it makes it so much better. It’s not that the VAs are bad it’s that their direction was apparently “you’re Kevin, a chartered accountant from Guildford” instead of anything fantasy-y.

The exploration and combat play like an absolute dream though, IMO. Very tight and a great UI.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I thought the trait system to give player made characters a bit of personality was a clever idea. Especially when they fail knowledge check and guess poorly.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I mentally liken it to Spiderweb Software games: the presentation is pretty rough (pixelmans!) but the gameplay is engaging and the plot/writing is... serviceable, I guess.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, it's got flaws I won't deny. But I've really enjoyed Solasta overall.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

mitochondritom posted:

The Forgotten Realms (also Planescape) and DnD are inseparable in my mind. I can't really get myself on board with Solastra, even if it looks cool.

That's just terribly sad and I'm so sorry.

It's a good game, despite 5th edition.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
What kills Solastra for me is from what I've seen the actual roleplaying stuff is extremely thin

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

mitochondritom posted:

Something I really liked about the greyhawk world is that it didn't feel formalized. You just had adventure packets throughout each edition that happened to take place in them. Nobody attempted to like Marvel Universe that poo poo. It made it real easy to ignore any sort of world history and just roll dice in a generic fantasy setting.

Forgotten Realms is a decent world, particularly before 4e, I have nothing against it except that WotC bought it so they could leapfrog into something more MU-like.

World building is nice to have, but gameplay comes first, and Solasta has done fine. They can put off world building forever if they wanted.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

Something I really liked about the greyhawk world is that it didn't feel formalized. You just had adventure packets throughout each edition that happened to take place in them. Nobody attempted to like Marvel Universe that poo poo. It made it real easy to ignore any sort of world history and just roll dice in a generic fantasy setting.

Forgotten Realms is a decent world, particularly before 4e, I have nothing against it except that WotC bought it so they could leapfrog into something more MU-like.

World building is nice to have, but gameplay comes first, and Solasta has done fine. They can put off world building forever if they wanted.

I can’t tell if you’re joking or not, but the first “complete” campaign box set for Greyhawk was released in 1983: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17392/World-of-Greyhawk-Fantasy-Game-Setting-1e

Gygax didn’t know why people wanted this material but he was happy to sell it to them.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm still salty about how they destroyed so much of FR due to spellplague lol.

Thay becoming just an undead area is also super boring compared to what they were before

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Do they still do tie-in novels (or trilogies!) for supplements that just happen to cram in a bunch of that sourcebook’s monsters?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
There have been no D&D novels besides Drizzt ones published since about 2015. At least two decent ongoing series - Shadowbane (Paladin Batman slams rapidly between grim noir and comedic farce) and Death Masks (Laeral and Elminster try to govern Waterdeep, disaster ensues) were never finished because no more books, gently caress you.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I liked the erevis cale books too and well that came to a decent conclusion but was always sad to see the future of it gone cause of the world changing events.

There was that series focused on evermeet's politicking that never got finalized and bunch of other series too.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_novels_in_order_of_publication

Basically you can see that link and see how much they hosed it

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Embarrassing cover aside, I did enjoy Azure Bonds a lot. A shame its sequels got progressively worse.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Jimbot posted:

Embarrassing cover aside, I did enjoy Azure Bonds a lot. A shame its sequels got progressively worse.

Hey, that was titty armor +3! +3!

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Jimbot posted:

I remember those Finheads from the Complete Book of Humanoids. The entire cover is a let down. The Forgotten Realms iconography even says FANTASY ADVENTURE inside of it for some reason.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Hey, that was titty armor +3! +3!

13yo was strongly in favor, though I did question the utility of having your important heart/boob area exposed like that

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jimbot posted:

IIRC the book itself makes fun of that armor when the main character is forced to wear it as a sacrificial garment.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Skwirl posted:

IIRC the book itself makes fun of that armor when the main character is forced to wear it as a sacrificial garment.

Yeah that area is exposed because it’s literally where Alias is meant to be stabbed to complete the ritual. A nice “inversion of the trope” as the kids might say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

sebmojo posted:

13yo was strongly in favor, though I did question the utility of having your important heart/boob area exposed like that

13 year old me was not questioning a thing lmao