Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Skwirl posted:

IIRC the book itself makes fun of that armor when the main character is forced to wear it as a sacrificial garment.

Yeah, that was a fun part but that armor and its brief appearance was enough for the marketing department to exploit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Skellybones posted:

There have been no D&D novels besides Drizzt ones published since about 2015. At least two decent ongoing series - Shadowbane (Paladin Batman slams rapidly between grim noir and comedic farce) and Death Masks (Laeral and Elminster try to govern Waterdeep, disaster ensues) were never finished because no more books, gently caress you.

Well, that’s a shame. I really liked most of those little novels as a kid, aside from the Watercourse trilogy.

I was kind of an indiscriminate reader.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CommunityEdition posted:

Well, that’s a shame. I really liked most of those little novels as a kid, aside from the Watercourse trilogy.

I was kind of an indiscriminate reader.

Oh god the watercourse trilogy. Atlas Shrugged but for Faerun.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, that was a fun part but that armor and its brief appearance was enough for the marketing department to exploit.

So which came first: the cover art or the flimsy excuse for it in the plot? Was it a case of the manuscript being halfway done, so they sent it over to Caldwell so he could get the art ready. But Caldwell being Caldwell he added the cheesecake?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Almost certainly the picture came first, by 80s fantasy women's armour standards it's extremely practical

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'd be fine with that sort of cheesecake if it was equal opportunity. One of the reason FF14 is so popular is that it allows slutmogs for everyone and not just the female PCs.

(Barbarians in loincloths do not count)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That's why I like Frank Frazetta, dude just hated drawing pants or shirts, so no one got them.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

:nws:

:hmmyes:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm looking forward to an official date for when they make the announcement. Oh and some clothing armor appearance variations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/1598014079527944195

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Lmao they saved Paladin to make that joke. I'm glad

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Good, I've been looking forward to paladin time.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

"I attack" "Do you smite? Hit y/n"

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

boredsatellite posted:

Given Santa's rate of movement, quick climbing, lack of armor, death punch and long beard, he's clearly a monk.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

the doritos pope is a cleric of chauntea, of course

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Given Santa's rate of movement, quick climbing, lack of armor, death punch and long beard, he's clearly a monk.

Santa is a rogue, friend.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

boredsatellite posted:

Took me a second, that's such a groanworthy dadjoke

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

rojay posted:

Santa is a rogue, friend.

Ah, a Silent Knight

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
So I'm looking for a new CRPG to scratch my itch after going through Divinity 2 and WOTR.

I really want to play this game, but I'm still unsure of whether or not to drop the money.

Is there a good overview of the current state of the game? Would anyone recommend it in the current state or would it be best to wait for full release?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

DaiJiaTeng posted:

So I'm looking for a new CRPG to scratch my itch after going through Divinity 2 and WOTR.

I really want to play this game, but I'm still unsure of whether or not to drop the money.

Is there a good overview of the current state of the game? Would anyone recommend it in the current state or would it be best to wait for full release?

It's only Act 1, if you are looking to play a game and not just get a teaser I wouldn't do it. There's only about 10-20 hours in this right now with some replayability for the different classes but it's still definitely early access for all intents.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah not all of the classes are in, some core parts of the game are still being ironed out and game won't be done soon

But if you are fine with playing an early access game to get the feel of the setting and game then go for it? Though wait for the new big patch

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DaiJiaTeng posted:

I'd wait tbh, but definitely pick it up when it releases it's very good.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Yeah the early access stuff is really good but it's "only" maybe 20-25 hours of content and you're pretty limited by only being able to get to level 4 (level 5 unlocks a second attack for martials and level 3 spells).

If you're looking for a new CRPG to sink your teeth into over winter, this is probably not it.

The Witcher 3 remaster with ray tracing is releasing on Dec 12th I believe. If you've never played W3 you absolutely should.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah the product as is is much more of a demo. People have played it a ton but I'm not sure why since it's only 1/3 of the planned content and your saves aren't playable anymore after each patch. I did a quick tour and really liked what I saw but I don't have any plans to play again until the full game releases.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
they added a pretty large new dungeon which is neat, I've played it through twice and that's plenty for now

if the rest of the game is at a similar level of quality it's going to be amazing, but the full game will release within like 6mo hopefully so there's no point in buying it now

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone played the multiplayer?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

Yes.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Gort posted:

Yeah, my husband and I play together a lot. It's good!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Does it differ from the singleplayer? I remember in Divinity 2 the NPC party members wouldn't do any of their conversations in MP so the plot was much thinner.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You make the other player watch when you bone down.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The next panel may give us the release date. As it’s supposed to be early 2023.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Have they really said early 2023? I thought it was just some time next year?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah I was kind of assuming q4, because let's be real

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah I was kind of assuming q4, because let's be real

I believe they said the plan was 10 large patches then release after, it's 3-4 months between those patches, so Q4 seems pretty reasonable to me.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Are they sticking with not being able to do premade characters for multiplayer because it seems legit impossible to do open servers because everyone gives up on waiting for all the players to make their characters anew.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Its highly likely they are gonna let people play premades like os2

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

evilmiera posted:

Are they sticking with not being able to do premade characters for multiplayer because it seems legit impossible to do open servers because everyone gives up on waiting for all the players to make their characters anew.

It'd be neat to do an all origin characters in MP.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
Thanks for the replies about the state of the game.

Perhaps I will just wait it out until full release.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I played the beta what feels like 6 years ago and I was so thoroughly impressed I decided I wasn't going to play until it was released, but I wanted to play so many times and fought the urge. I don't want to see everything in Act 1 before release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Same. I refunded it because I knew if I owned it I wouldn't be able to resist.