Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Same except I’m totally able to resist so it’s just sitting there waiting as I imagine all my playthroughs.

And I’m expecting a late 2023 date with a 50/50 on a bump to next year. They have been doing good work and making great progress but scope is so big I’d rather wait for the whole thing than get a yet another overly ambitious game with a rushed ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm downloading that update and doing another run. I'm curious if I can still use smite when I pick up goblin and use him to bash his friends to death.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I've just gone in a few times to do the tutorial with a few classes and play dolls with the character creator. Waiting for the paladin class to actually go for a second run through all of act 1...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SlothBear posted:

Same except I’m totally able to resist so it’s just sitting there waiting as I imagine all my playthroughs.

And I’m expecting a late 2023 date with a 50/50 on a bump to next year. They have been doing good work and making great progress but scope is so big I’d rather wait for the whole thing than get a yet another overly ambitious game with a rushed ending.

Ya same. I played like 35 hours, now I'm happy to wait

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I read somewhere that a full playthrough of the whole game is expected to be around 100 hours, which tracks if there's 3 acts and act one is ca 30 hours-ish, which is great value for your money, but it also makes me less liable to do another playthrough because that's a massive time investment

Which is a shame because as I understand it the game locks you in to 3 companions after act one a la Divinity 2, and I actually like all the characters so far (except maaaaaybe Gale), but I guess that's what Let's plays are for!

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

McCloud posted:

Which is a shame because as I understand it the game locks you in to 3 companions after act one a la Divinity 2, and I actually like all the characters so far (except maaaaaybe Gale), but I guess that's what Let's plays are for!

Where'd you hear that? I thought they had another half-dozen or so companions yet to reveal?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

rojay posted:

Where'd you hear that? I thought they had another half-dozen or so companions yet to reveal?

I think it was mentioned in an interview a long time ago?

Also this from Community Update 7 in the q&a portion.

"Will companions be interchangeable during long rest?
Yes, at the start of your adventure your recruited companions will be at camp when not in the adventuring party, and can be swapped in and out at camp. Just like friends in real life! After the first act however you are going to have to commit, also just like in real life."

I have no idea if that's still the intention or if it's been changed, for now I'm assuming that you'll have discovered all your companions by the end of act 1 and will have to choose who to keep in your party, but take it with a pinch of salt.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

McCloud posted:

I read somewhere that a full playthrough of the whole game is expected to be around 100 hours, which tracks if there's 3 acts and act one is ca 30 hours-ish, which is great value for your money, but it also makes me less liable to do another playthrough because that's a massive time investment

I would consider this extremely optimistic. I don’t know a single game, let alone a crpg, that maintains that sort of steam through the whole game. Even OS2’s back half kinda sped to its conclusion.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

SettingSun posted:

I would consider this extremely optimistic. I don’t know a single game, let alone a crpg, that maintains that sort of steam through the whole game. Even OS2’s back half kinda sped to its conclusion.

Badlur's Gate 2 would like a word.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Funso Banjo posted:

Badlur's Gate 2 would like a word.

Huh? BG2 is an absolutely massive chapter 2 then linear until the end after that, with the exception of a couple missable sections (the sahuagin city, some stuff in the underdark, those couple areas that open up outside suldanessalar in chapter 6). it absolutely gets more focused and less sprawling as the chapters go on.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

rojay posted:

It was somewhere before its release in early access (or at least, at the time of its release): they said that, just like in D:OS2, you would have one act with the entire cast available but would be forced to choose at the end of Act 1 to settle on a definitive party for the rest of the game. A lot of people initially had mixed thoughts about (a) "wow, these companions are actually kind of garbage edgelords and I hate them" (I have warmed to them, but Larian also filed off a lot of rough edges over the course of several patches) and (b) being forced to leave behind party members, when the party is smaller than in BG1 and 2, and clearly a lot more care went into these guys than the fairly superficial D:OS2 cast.

They haven't mentioned it since release in EA. I suspect they might have found an alternative solution in the meantime (quite a lot with regards to camp and party management was rejiggered already, to the point they made the companions more palatable to the average redditor / made them play nice together and with Tav) and quietly dropped that idea in the face of backlash, but we'll see. It might be equally plausible that the people who don't stay in your party, travel to Baldur's Gate of the own accord and can be re-recruited later. Or rocks fall and everybody dies at the end of act 1 if they aren't in your party

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Deltasquid posted:

It was somewhere before its release in early access (or at least, at the time of its release): they said that, just like in D:OS2, you would have one act with the entire cast available but would be forced to choose at the end of Act 1 to settle on a definitive party for the rest of the game. A lot of people initially had mixed thoughts about (a) "wow, these companions are actually kind of garbage edgelords and I hate them" (I have warmed to them, but Larian also filed off a lot of rough edges over the course of several patches) and (b) being forced to leave behind party members, when the party is smaller than in BG1 and 2, and clearly a lot more care went into these guys than the fairly superficial D:OS2 cast.

They haven't mentioned it since release in EA. I suspect they might have found an alternative solution in the meantime (quite a lot with regards to camp and party management was rejiggered already, to the point they made the companions more palatable to the average redditor / made them play nice together and with Tav) and quietly dropped that idea in the face of backlash, but we'll see. It might be equally plausible that the people who don't stay in your party, travel to Baldur's Gate of the own accord and can be re-recruited later. Or rocks fall and everybody dies at the end of act 1 if they aren't in your party

Isn't there one more potential party member at least? I thought it was out there but I'll spoiler it anyway; I'm talking about Minsc, who unless I'm completely hallucinating I remember reading was a potential party member.

I haven't really kept up with development, but I could have sworn they said many months ago that the companions in the first act were more of the "edgy" and "evil" type, and that they had more good-aligned companions to reveal? I'm honestly beginning to think I'm suffering some early-onset dementia or something. Then again it could also be that what I read was pure speculation and not true.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

rojay posted:

Isn't there one more potential party member at least? I thought it was out there but I'll spoiler it anyway; I'm talking about Minsc, who unless I'm completely hallucinating I remember reading was a potential party member.

I haven't really kept up with development, but I could have sworn they said many months ago that the companions in the first act were more of the "edgy" and "evil" type, and that they had more good-aligned companions to reveal? I'm honestly beginning to think I'm suffering some early-onset dementia or something. Then again it could also be that what I read was pure speculation and not true.

I think I read there are three companions left. Good old Minsc, a Halfling Werewolf Bard and a Tiefling Paladin/Barbarian (there's some confusion over this last one because she's a Barbarian in the Magic Deck, but earlier datamining had her pegged as a Paladin) And Larian did deliberately release with the Evil/Neutral companions in Early Access because people generally spend less time with those in games.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

How do werewolves work in current era Forgotten Realms? Does the curse still make them automatically evil?

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Werewolves are Chaotic Evil, but they could just say the tadpole restored their self control just like Astarion, so now they can go back to being good. Plus WotC has softened in recent years on the idea that monsters of a certain type must all share the same alignment

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So how it works normally

Werewolves are evil, but a person inflicted by the curse is not necessarily. It depends on if you give into the curse or not. If the person resists the curse, they stay as they are, but when the full moon is out they uncontrollably transform and rampage. If a person embraces the curse, they gain full power over the transformation and can do it at will along with gaining various lycanthrope powers, but their personality shifts to an evil and various one.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
So is this game out of ea or what???

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 4, 2022

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

No.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Ash Crimson posted:

So is this game out of ea or what???

Doesn't even have a concrete release date, they said they were aiming for 2023.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/1599826534235357192

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I would have really preferred almost any other old BG character come back. He has obnoxious writing and having brain damage is played up for laughs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I don't know anything about that character. Is he a Sheogorath-type?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

I would have really preferred almost any other old BG character come back. He has obnoxious writing and having brain damage is played up for laughs.

Hiya! It's me. Imoen!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

not really. he just kind of a dumb guy who has a pet hamster who he says is from space.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I don't know anything about that character. Is he a Sheogorath-type?

I don't know what that means but Minsc is a goofy barbarian type with a "miniature giant space hamster" (i.e. a hamster) which was mildly funny twenty years ago and we haven't been able to shake him since. Whether he has legit brain damage, has chromosomal deficiencies, or is just an average dude who happens to not be very bright varies a bit depending on who you ask. Idk what the official canon is or will be in this game. But the idea of him being a romance option and also mentally vulnerable due to developmental shortcomings and/or organic brain damage is something that makes people uncomfortable, to put it mildly.

So yeah, I'd rather have any other recurring character too but overall it's a spot of 'meh' in what is otherwise shaping up to be an excellent game.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Hulk Smash! posted:

Hiya! It's me. Imoen!
I'd be fine with her or most of the others tbh

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It’s not just a BG3 thing right? I feel like I’ve seen him around on various other Forgotten Realms stuff in the last few years.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Anno posted:

It’s not just a BG3 thing right? I feel like I’ve seen him around on various other Forgotten Realms stuff in the last few years.

Yeah he's been a recurring character since the original Baldur's Gate. There's a magic card of him now etc. etc.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I feel like I remember his bio in the first game talks about taking several blows to the head. That said, Minsc is honestly more goofy than he is just plain dumb. He is very much :buddy: the character; butt kicking for goodness, that sort of thing. I can understand not enjoying him or not expecting to enjoy him in this game but I'm not sure there's any other character from the original games that is quite as iconic and, dare I say, beloved, as him. Edwin is probably the second choice there but honestly it's not much of a contest.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
There's got to be zero chance Larian will make him just as dumb as he was in BG1 or 2. There's no way they could possibly think that would fly in 2023, right?

...right???

video spoilers
Did that video show a tadpole flying into his head? Will Boo have a tadpole of his own, or will he stay petrified?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Nemo posted:

There's got to be zero chance Larian will make him just as dumb as he was in BG1 or 2. There's no way they could possibly think that would fly in 2023, right?

...right???

video spoilers
Did that video show a tadpole flying into his head? Will Boo have a tadpole of his own, or will he stay petrified?

My prediction based on nothing is that the tadpole will appear to minsc as Boo. Or Dynaheir. Or maybe both.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I don't know about brain problems. I always assumed he was just a bit dumb, but super lovable.

I kept him in my BG2 party because he was a strong character, but he was also lof of fun compared to most of the others. He and Edwin were just awesome, and I'll be pleased to meet him in BG 3. I wonder if it will be the same voice actor. It's like 20 years since I played BG 2, but I remember I loved his voice.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i'm pretty sure they will, jim cummings voiced him for the siege of dragonspear dlc and he's still actively doing VA work

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Nemo posted:

...right???

video spoilers

I think that's the spell that 'unpetrifies' him. There's a comic series that follows his adventures in a new adventuring party 100 years after BG2. Basically a wild magic sorceress hits the Minsc statue in Baldurs Gate with a wild magic surge and it's an open question of whether the statue was the real Minsc who was petrified and then unpetrified or if it's a statue that came to life and just thinks he's Minsc (and Boo).

I've not seen much but the comic seemed to make him a slightly less wacky character than the original games.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Maybe it’s not a popular opinion, but IMO it wouldn’t be a real BG “sequel” without Minsc.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

CottonWolf posted:

Maybe it’s not a popular opinion, but IMO it wouldn’t be a real BG “sequel” without Minsc.

He's more important to the Baldur's Gate series than Baldur's Gate.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The statue, and especially it seemingly coming to life after being hit by a blast of magic, is lifted straight out of the first issue of the comic series Minsc stars in :xd:

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Maybe he'll be the first multi class npc? Barbarian/Ranger?

Slashrat posted:

The statue, and especially it seemingly coming to life after being hit by a blast of magic, is lifted straight out of the first issue of the comic series Minsc stars in :xd:

Jim Zub is having a good day if he's watching that

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The whole miniature giant space hamster thing is a legit creature in D&D, mostly Spelljammer I think. It's not whether they exist in the world just if Boo actually is one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The whole miniature giant space hamster thing is a legit creature in D&D, mostly Spelljammer I think. It's not whether they exist in the world just if Boo actually is one.

Indeed, going back to 2e spelljammer I believe.

https://www.mojobob.com/roleplay/monstrousmanual/h/hamsgisp.html