Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Now that Larian is doing BG3, Beamdog should remaster Divine Divinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

ChrisBTY posted:

Fighting wizards in 2 was a massive chore because of the stupid dance because the 27 layers of protection they'd put up and the 27 countermagics you had to cycle through to deal with it.
Look at this nub who didn't start every fight with Jaheira summoning a swarm of angry insects.

Pattonesque posted:

One thing I really liked about BG2 was that it was usually pretty obvious how weapons stacked up to one another in terms of power level

like OK, this sword is +4 so it's better than this one that's +2, but the +2 one has bonuses vs. undead and can protect from evil, so it's obvious when to switch and when you're safe to sell one to Ribald

meanwhile ones in dragon age have like ... +20.8 armor penetration and a bunch of other incremental numbers
I miss that, too - as well as the fact that were just so many different unique weapons, suits of armour and items. Getting new stuff was always delightful in BG2. And then at the end you got Crom Faeyr. :black101:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Sometimes I genuinely think that devs go too far trying to balance things. Having ridiculously overpowered niche combos or classes or weapons or whatever give games a sense of interest way beyond what you get from increasing your attack stat by 0.3% at a time.

It's part of the magic of Baldur's Gate 2 imo. There are just some crazy powerful weapons and skills and poo poo

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Also, item descriptions! Here's some history or cool text to go with your badass item!

BG series instilled an adoration of writing item descriptions whenever I do campaigns, even if the players don't really care about them or pay attention. Having a little story as to why the weapon is so badass just makes it that much cooler.

I don't think anyone would disagree that one of the joys of Baldurs Gate is going from a pathetic nobody to being almost completely untouchable and the huge variety of ways you can make it easier or harder for yourself. I've always played as a Sorcerer since I was a kid but it's only until recently that I started following spell choice guides and min/maxing to all hell and the sense of power you get is just truly insane.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
If you've played OS2 you'll know that Larian don't have an overbalancing problem lol

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

bike tory posted:

Sometimes I genuinely think that devs go too far trying to balance things. Having ridiculously overpowered niche combos or classes or weapons or whatever give games a sense of interest way beyond what you get from increasing your attack stat by 0.3% at a time.

It's part of the magic of Baldur's Gate 2 imo. There are just some crazy powerful weapons and skills and poo poo
I'd always make a Berserker and end up sticking the aforementioned Crom Faeyr on him, as well as the Cloak of Mirroring. Add dual-wielding, get to level 20+, and go hog-wild landing critical hit after critical hit with HLAs while nothing can stop you as going berserk makes you immune for a few minutes (more than enough to kill everything on screen, usually) to hold spells and even bullshit like Imprisonment. Liches ain't poo poo but bones and tricks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For fun let's check out the status of all Baldur's Gate Party Members and if they would be around for BGIII.

BG1
Ajantis Ilvastarr: Dead, killed by the player in II, when you think he's an hostile ogre.
Alora: Largely forgotten, also probably dead due to the 120 year timeskip.
Branwen: Not even mentioned in II and certainly dead due to the timeskip.
Coran: Currently a Baldur's Gate Noble serving one of the Dukes. Also has a bastard son that hangs with Minsc.
Dynaheir: Very dead at Irenicus' hands.
Edwin Odesseiron: Polymorphed into a woman when picking a bad fight and became a bitter waitress in Waterdeep. Probably dead due to timeskip, but powerful enough a wizard to maybe upset that. Not very popular in Thay because he would not shave.
Eldoth Kron: rear end in a top hat and dead due to timeskip, or pissing someone off. His death cheers up Xan even. "Xan: I would grieve for Eldoth, if it were not for the sense of joy I now feel!"
Faldorn: Dead, killed by you or a druid companion.
Garrick: Moved to Calimshan after meeting a lady from there, no doubt died from the timeskip.
Imoen: Joined the Harpers and became an Archmage. Also probably started her own thieves guild. Passed away from the timeskip.
Jaheira: Spent her life traveling after the events of the games, passed away due to timeskip.
Kagain: Older and grumpier, but would probably still be alive.
Khalid: Very dead at Irenicus' hands.
Kivan: Probably still hanging around Baldur's Gate.
Minsc: Wild Magic animated a statue of him or brought a petrified of him back, so he hanging around Baldur's Gate.
Montaron: Dead, killed by the Harpers in II.
Quayle: Raised Aerie and theoretically could still be alive. But he was an old Gnome already, so it's not certain.
Safana: Murdered by a Wolfwere in II.
Shar-Teel Dosan: Probably got killed by picking an unnecessary fight, if not died to age.
Skie Silvershield: Murdered by Irenicus' in Siege of Dragonspear with a Soultaker Dagger.
Tiax: Killed by Irenicus in Spellhold.
Viconia DeVir: She has two endings. Either she gets assassinated by followers of Lolth, or becomes an unintentional hero and receives the highest honors of the Seldarine, before leaving to travel. She's currently a Schrodinger's Cat. And we won't know her fate until the box is opened.
Xan: He'd be around.
Xzar: Killed by Harpers in Baldur's Gate II.
Yeslick Orothiar: He would also still be around.

BG2
Aerie: Alive, and Minsc mentions having contacted her, so she would still be around.
Anomen Delryn: Went to Maztica and founded a order there, and passed away there.
Cernd: Eventually ends up fighting his estranged son and both he and his son die at each others hands.
Haer'Dalis: Went back to Sigil, possibly still alive. But unlikely to show up.
Jan Jansen: Would still be around, and who knows what he would be doing.
Keldorn Firecam: Died after a desperate battle and ascended to Torm's side.
Korgan Bloodaxe: Suicidally attacked a town of Drow on his own and died killing their leader laughing.
Mazzy Fentan: Passed away peacefully at old age taking pride in everything she did.
Nalia de'Arnise: Would have passed away.
Valygar Corthala: Also would have passed away.
Yoshimo: Killed because of Irenicus' geas.
Sarevok Anchev: Eventually went to kara-tur and never came back.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 6, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
So do you play as the offspring of an Illithid and get a power that lets you transform into your Flayer Form?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Could someone point me to a good link to read up on what this "Spelljammer" stuff is? I never heard of it.

It's Kinda D&D in space.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Isn't everything that was in the stadia direct thing supposed to be launch stuff? It would be crazy as poo poo if we got baldur's gate 3 in November.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Jan Jansen: Would still be around, and who knows what he would be doing.

Turnips.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I was already very hype for Larian Baldur's Gate but the fact that Jan would still be kicking around makes me even more excited. He fits with Larian's sense of humor, so I expect him to get a name drop sooner than snoozers like Aerie.

They are in kind of a rough position, though, because literally nothing will appease the die-hards.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Crowetron posted:

They are in kind of a rough position, though, because literally nothing will appease the die-hards.

lol even the response in this thread has shown how unenviable their position is. About half of the responses have been "if it's turn based I will vomit and die", and the other half have been "oh I hope they recapture the magic of turn based crpgs"

Also a 50/50 split on loving/hating D:OS it seems.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Playing and enjoying Seige of Dragonspear taught me a valuable lesson about people with very strong opinions about Baldur's Gate.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

ChrisBTY posted:

So one of my Top 5 games of all time is getting a sequel made by the developers of one of my other Top 5 games of all-time.

HYPE ESCALATING!

Baldur's Gate 2 and Morrowind are tied for my favorite games of all time so it's really hard for me not to be hyped as poo poo about this, especially since Larian is developing it. Please be good.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Seige of Dragonspear had its issues but I really enjoyed it and going forward it'll be in all my future playthroughs. The way people were talking about it made me avoid playing it for a long time and when I started playing it, expecting the worse, I was livid when I found out that a lot of the backlash was from people trying to disguise their bigotry as a critique

Good stuff

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Songbearer posted:

I was livid when I found out that a lot of the backlash was from people trying to disguise their bigotry as a critique

I know nothing about this. At the risk of opening a can of worms, could you elaborate?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Seige of Dragonspear had its issues but I really enjoyed it and going forward it'll be in all my future playthroughs. The way people were talking about it made me avoid playing it for a long time and when I started playing it, expecting the worse, I was livid when I found out that a lot of the backlash was from people trying to disguise their bigotry as a critique

Good stuff

I find it a boring crawl with characters I could not care much about, but nothing to actually get mad about.
I did not like Tales of Sword Coast either. I usually played BWS, which I think got discontinued.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ubachung posted:

I know nothing about this. At the risk of opening a can of worms, could you elaborate?

it dared to have a trans character, an affront to the kind of obnoxious shithead you'd find hanging out at RPG Codex

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ubachung posted:

There's a merchant NPC at one point in the game, and if you go through her dialogue tree, she reveals that she is a transwoman. It's literally one line of flavor text about a lady who sells you some potions once. Gamers lost their drat minds.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There’s a trans character, you can fill in the blanks from there

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

SLAP IN THE FACE

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

frajaq posted:

SLAP IN THE FACE

Also who are they?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Credit where credit's due, "ThacoBell" is a pretty solid user name.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crowetron posted:

There's a merchant NPC at one point in the game, and if you go through her dialogue tree, she reveals that she is a transwoman. It's literally one line of flavor text about a lady who sells you some potions once. Gamers lost their drat minds.

They're going to hate this. Larian regularly puts gay people in their games.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

DrManiac posted:

It would be crazy as poo poo if we got baldur's gate 3 in November.

It would, but Vincke's response to the question whether the game will come out in 2019 was literally "Hahahaha no".

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I think the concerns are far too overblown here. Larian's track record is stellar with crpgs. Only thing is that they are continuing the story a century later so the sequel title holds little meaning other than marketing but I think Larian being handed such a beloved franchise will just make them set up their game.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

frajaq posted:

SLAP IN THE FACE

why do gamers post like they're taking a stand against like an oppressive invading empire

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
tbf I don't know what else you call a CRPG set in and around the city of Baldur's Gate that will likely in some capacity feature a couple of characters from previous games entitled Baldur's Gate

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Not a direct story sequel to BG2/ToB: great
A modern D&D-licensed RPG: great
Made by Larian: probably great
Mind Flayers: hell yeah

I try not to let myself get too hyped for games I don't know much about these days, but this is pushing a lot of buttons for me.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Could someone point me to a good link to read up on what this "Spelljammer" stuff is? I never heard of it.

Imagine the Disney Treasure Island movie but with elves and gun-obsessed hippo people instead of space aliens. It's sort of swashbuckling space fantasy IN SPAAAACE. It sort of interconnected all the various Dungeons & Dragons campaign worlds by introducing crystal spheres, which are basically giant...crystal spheres enclosing a world and its sun and maybe a few planets (so think the Forgotten Realms planet which is Abeir-Toril). Outside of those spheres is the phlogiston, this very flammable mist. If you find gateways out of the crystal, you can travel the phlogiston to other worlds, so you could pop by and see what's going on in Dark Sun or whatever. Or just fly around and be a cool space pirate.

What I am trying to say is that if this is a backdoor Spelljammer game I am ALL. FOR. IT.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Blockhouse posted:

tbf I don't know what else you call a CRPG set in and around the city of Baldur's Gate that will likely in some capacity feature a couple of characters from previous games entitled Baldur's Gate
The game is in Baldur's gate immediately following a tabletop campaign module:

quote:

- It directly follows the events of the Descent Into Avernus
Descent Into Avernus is based in Baldurs gate, but it is not called "Baldur's Gate". There are plenty of creative options out there.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The game is in Baldur's gate immediately following a tabletop campaign module:

Descent Into Avernus is based in Baldurs gate, but it is not called "Baldur's Gate". There are plenty of creative options out there.

Uhhh but it actually is called Baldur's Gate.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its gonna own

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

really really hope mind flayers are not the primary antagonist because they're awful unfun shitballs to engage with, behind only undead that have permanent level drain effects. mind control and stat drain != a fun gameplay experience

don't make INT your dump stat!

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Btw Pillars of Eternity 2 got a turn-based mode patched in, so you can compare and see for yourself how superior it is to RTwP.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Freaking Crumbum posted:

really really hope mind flayers are not the primary antagonist because they're awful unfun shitballs to engage with, behind only undead that have permanent level drain effects. mind control and stat drain != a fun gameplay experience

don't make INT your dump stat!

*forms a wall of undead and animated swords*

heh, nothing personnel Cthulu

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Timespy posted:

Btw Pillars of Eternity 2 got a turn-based mode patched in, so you can compare and see for yourself how superior it is to RTwP.

Can confirm, combat went from a chore to genuinely engaging since I started using turn based.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

haven't watched the trailer but if anyone could do BG3 justice, it'd be Larian, so consider me cautiously optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's an upcoming D&D module that takes place in Baldur's Gate.

It took WOTC a long rear end time but they're finally properly marketing D&D, and poo poo is really taking off.

I'm not sure if this was even really intentional or if it was more Larian pushing them?

Anyways, my first question after the announcement was "Is it based on 3rd, or 5th, or just doing its own thing? Baldur's was really closely tied into D&D's rules" and a co-worker said "Its based on 5th, and there's a supplement" and I said "SMART!"

(Can't remember, was Baldur's 1 based on AD&D or 3rd? I think it was 3rd... can't remember... Temple of Elemental Evil was definitely 3rd Ed, maybe Baldur's was 2nd?)