Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zaphod42 posted:

It took WOTC a long rear end time but they're finally properly marketing D&D, and poo poo is really taking off.

I'm not sure if this was even really intentional or if it was more Larian pushing them?

Anyways, my first question after the announcement was "Is it based on 3rd, or 5th, or just doing its own thing? Baldur's was really closely tied into D&D's rules" and a co-worker said "Its based on 5th, and there's a supplement" and I said "SMART!"

(Can't remember, was Baldur's 1 based on AD&D or 3rd? I think it was 3rd... can't remember... Temple of Elemental Evil was definitely 3rd Ed, maybe Baldur's was 2nd?)

They were planning to have a Hell Based Adventure for a while, but their deal with Larian would shock me as the reason they decided to start it in Baldur's Gate.

Baldur's Gate was 2e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
BG and IWD were 2nd edition, NWN was 3rd, IWD2, Temple and NWN2 were 3.5

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crowetron posted:

There's a merchant NPC at one point in the game, and if you go through her dialogue tree, she reveals that she is a transwoman. It's literally one line of flavor text about a lady who sells you some potions once. Gamers lost their drat minds.

Well, there were 2 issues.

The first was the way you quickly found out upon first meeting her by clicking through the dialogue tree, like the trans character in mass effect andromeda.

The second was that D&D has a lot of body-changing effects.

Kobolds desire to transition racially to become dragons, elminster (a famous D&D wizard) was a woman for a period of time because of Mystra, the goddess of magic.

There are cursed girdles of masculinity/femininity that turn the wearer into that gender.

Permanent forms of the polymorph spell exist.

Grognards were pissed that there was no option to help physically transition her with all this stuff that existed in game that changed gender. That pissed off a lot of D&D fans. You have all this magical gender changing magic, and no way to use it to help them have the right body.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Freaking Crumbum posted:

really really hope mind flayers are not the primary antagonist because they're awful unfun shitballs to engage with, behind only undead that have permanent level drain effects. mind control and stat drain != a fun gameplay experience

don't make INT your dump stat!

Mind Flayers don't do stat drain in 5e, and their mind control is much easier to shake off. (And they can only do it once an encounter.)

Level Drain is not a thing ether, Energy Drain instead now Temporarily Drains Max HP.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 7, 2019

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Both BG games were 2nd ed. I remember this, because I, being a dummy, thought "Gee, higher armor class must be better" and never stopped to question why the best armor in the game was found at the beginning of the game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pharohman777 posted:

The first was the way you quickly found out upon first meeting her by clicking through the dialogue tree, like the trans character in mass effect andromeda.

Kobolds desire to transition racially to become dragons, elminster (a famous D&D wizard) was a woman for a period of time because of Mystra, the goddess of magic.

There are cursed girdles of masculinity/femininity that turn the wearer into that gender.

Grognards were pissed that there was no option to help physically transition her with all this stuff that existed in game that changed gender. That pissed off a lot of D&D fans. You have all this magical gender changing magic, and no way to use it to help them have the right body.

You actually do have to pester her a bit to find out. It's not the first thing she says or anything.

And Yeah powerful magic and a cursed item are the only way to physically and permanently transform your sex. Like that stuff is not easy to get or find. Like Kobolds want to become Dragons, but the vast majority will never be able to, cause the stuff that would allow that is rare and hard to find.

tithin posted:

haven't watched the trailer but if anyone could do BG3 justice, it'd be Larian, so consider me cautiously optimistic.

Warning before you watch the trailer. It's very gruesome.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 7, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's mind flayers. Body horror is their big thing besides being boring Cthulu knockoffs.

That they're front and center for this game is one of the reasons I'm not excited.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cythereal posted:

It's mind flayers. Body horror is their big thing besides being boring Cthulu knockoffs.

That they're front and center for this game is one of the reasons I'm not excited.

Hey they brought in their Spaceships which are cool, and they are honestly not very Cthulhu like except in appearance.

Why do you find them boring?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Timespy posted:

Both BG games were 2nd ed. I remember this, because I, being a dummy, thought "Gee, higher armor class must be better" and never stopped to question why the best armor in the game was found at the beginning of the game.

Goddamn THAC0 bullshit lmao

Cythereal posted:

Bummer :/ I was thinking the opposite, this gives me something interesting to play with that isn't just traditional knights and rogues and whatnot

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I honestly can't wait to play Larian's Baldur's Gate 3. The last licensed D&D computer game was what, Sword Coast Legends? Complete dumpster fire of a game. Then there's the new mobile game Warriors of Waterdeep, another dumpster fire. There's that one game on Steam but it's got very mixed reviews. I just want to kill some kobolds, pickpocket some NPCs, and laugh at Xan's gloom and doom.

If BG3 does well I hope they eventually let someone work on a Dark Sun game. That's my favorite setting aside from Faerun.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
imoen will return in bg3 as an official romance option

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hey they brought in their Spaceships which are cool, and they are honestly not very Cthulhu like except in appearance.

Why do you find them boring?

Inscrutable eldritch horrors stopped being interesting to me a long time ago, and mind flayers don't have much going beyond that, eating brains, and occasionally trying to kill the sun.

One with a personality, or motives beyond EVIL, is almost completely unheard of.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I hope this means they bring the back the overly friendly and chatty beholder. Loved that guy.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
mind flayers were authentically scary because it was borne out in the 2ed mechanics. not sure if that's going to entirely hold up in the same way here but w/e.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cythereal posted:

Inscrutable eldritch horrors stopped being interesting to me a long time ago, and mind flayers don't have much going beyond that, eating brains, and occasionally trying to kill the sun.

One with a personality, or motives beyond EVIL, is almost completely unheard of.

Well they are not Inscrutable. While evil they do tend to have a personality, even if it's a arrogant cruel one that views others as food and slaves.

But a recent D&D book has this guy, and his pet Miniature Giant Space Hamster. He's a flamboyant Space Pirate Lord with a crew of Space Orcs.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 7, 2019

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Cythereal posted:

The Vithrack in Pillars of Eternity are basically Illithid but more interesting and nuanced. I thought they were a better take on the general idea.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Zaphod42 posted:

It took WOTC a long rear end time but they're finally properly marketing D&D, and poo poo is really taking off.

I'm not sure if this was even really intentional or if it was more Larian pushing them?

Anyways, my first question after the announcement was "Is it based on 3rd, or 5th, or just doing its own thing? Baldur's was really closely tied into D&D's rules" and a co-worker said "Its based on 5th, and there's a supplement" and I said "SMART!"

(Can't remember, was Baldur's 1 based on AD&D or 3rd? I think it was 3rd... can't remember... Temple of Elemental Evil was definitely 3rd Ed, maybe Baldur's was 2nd?)

Gold Box was AD&D, Baldur's Gate I & II and IWD were 2nd, IWD2, NWN, and Temple were 3/3.5, as is DDO (kinda loosely). The Neverwinter MMO is kinda/sorta 4th, and Baldur's Gate III will be the very first 5th edition video game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

You think PC and Aerie’s baby will show up? I hope so.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I hope this has realtime combat because my dumdum friends take loving forever during their turn in Divinity. We got that game at launch and finally beat it yesterday.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Yeeesh, that guy in the cinematic had a bad day.

Edit: Man, not to editionwars whine but man 4e shoulda had a BG :smith:

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 7, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well they are not Inscrutable. While evil they do tend to have a personality, even if it's a arrogant cruel one that views others as food and slaves.

But a recent D&D book has this guy, and his pet Miniature Giant Space Hamster. He's a flamboyant Space Pirate Lord with a crew of Space Orcs.

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 sucked but it’s good that Bill Nighy is still getting work I guess.

Anyway that preview was super gross and offputting and as excited as I was for BG3, I’m kinda not now.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I remember following the development of Icewind Dale 2 and Black Isle developers complaining about how horrible the Infinite Engine was to worth with. I think the games still look great and absolutely aged better than their peers with early graphics (they look a hell of a lot better than either of the Neverwinter Nights games). But Sven's comments were kind of obvious, and its fanboy-ey to get so offended by them. Technology means more than flashy graphics (and flashy graphics are fun!) and I look forward to seeing what Larian does.

I agree that writing is Larian's weak point. But Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 had bad writing, bad stories and bad characters. It had fantastic scope. And a fantastic voice actor in David Warner. It seems that Larian has been hiring a lot of new writers, so I'm optimistic on this front too.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I hope the evil path allows you to play as a Mind Flayer eventually and do evil Mind Flayer things

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Pharohman777 posted:

The overwhelming majority of rage and complaints and poo poo were from gamergate "liberal PC politics in MY video games" types, not grognards annoyed that there's no quest to help a trans woman magically transition.

And it was in no way shoved in players faces. She doesn't tell you until the second time you see her, and even then not until you've done a quest for her. It was a fairly simple and consistent bit of character building like they do with many NPCs and also fairly easy to miss if you don't exhaust dialogue trees with everyone.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Gold Box was AD&D, Baldur's Gate I & II and IWD were 2nd, IWD2, NWN, and Temple were 3/3.5, as is DDO (kinda loosely). The Neverwinter MMO is kinda/sorta 4th, and Baldur's Gate III will be the very first 5th edition video game.

The first 5e game is actually Sword Coast Legends, everyone's favorite D&D game!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

MonsterEnvy posted:

gently caress me you weren't joking, that's graphic as poo poo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

A surfing dog?! posted:

The first 5e game is actually Sword Coast Legends, everyone's favorite D&D game!

It actually used next to none of 5e's rules and was not at all tabletop faithful. That was one of the reasons it got bad reception.

tithin posted:

gently caress me you weren't joking, that's graphic as poo poo

Honestly not many fictional characters I felt worse for than that Flaming Fist soldier.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 7, 2019

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Just a recurring nightmare of losing your teeth while you patrol the streets as everybody is enjoying their siesta and then the cheese kicks in.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly not many fictional characters I felt worse for than that Flaming Fist soldier.

I dont think mind flayers even transform that fast so the whole intro confuses me if ive understood the life cycle of the mind flayers right.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Iretep posted:

I dont think mind flayers even transform that fast so the whole intro confuses me if ive understood the life cycle of the mind flayers right.

bike tory posted:

Yeah they put a tadpole into your brain. It is meant to be a very slowly and painful process taking like a week, but that's obviously not so easy to depict in a trailer so this werewolf style transformation was a good choice imo.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Iretep posted:

In the Gamespot video Swen Vincke says it's an accelerated ceremorphosis. Dunno if it's only for this video or if a fast version will be in the game.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

From the description I've read it's supposed to eat your brain first - I assume that kills you so you are mercifully not around for the body horror part.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Is Mind Flayers actually being from the far future where they ruled a cosmic empire, and escaping to sometime before the present because the universe in the future ended, still part of D&D lore? I remember reading through some D&D book at one point describing this, and how it scared the gently caress out of the Aboleths (aquatic eldritch beings who have been around since the dawn of time) because the Mind Flayers just showed up one day out of the blue.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It was in Lords of Madness is 3.5 edition, but I dunno if it has been updated since.

Possessing accelerated metamorphosis, if it's not just a visual effect, would make sense for why mindflayers make a move for the surface.

As long as they can also blot out the sun, but I guess that comes in hand with the Spacejammer stuff.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Now that Larian is doing BG3, Beamdog should remaster Divine Divinity.

Nah, Beamdog should actually die a lovely death because they are garbage talent-less hacks

Space Pussy fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 7, 2019

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I didn't play Siege of Dragonspear because all of the new bits in the Extended Editions of BG and BG2 were extremely bad and poorly written IMO, so I'm happy with Beamdog not getting to make this one. I'm actually also happy for Obsidian not to be making it because I like that they have all their own IP to play with now. Larian with a pre-existing rule set is an interesting thought, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Predictions:
Game will be TB because Larian's most successful games, that seemed to be the most 'passion projecty' of them all, were TB.
Minsc, AKA the most overrated NPC ever, will make a cameo.

Also I agree that doing D&D in space would be cool so yes please bring on Spelljammer.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I hope Larian completely replaced their writing team because while DOS2 wasn't as mind-numbingly uninteresting and unfunny as DOS1, it was still very difficult to care about what was going on.

I also kind of hated the character-building system in both games and while the combat started off extremely strong, it became a real repetitive slog of too many irritating ground effects over time. I think patched Pillars 1 + White March on Path of the Damned is the best I've seen out of CRPG combat. Had a blast with that the whole way through, aside from fighting ten thousand ghost enemies in Durgan's Battery.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Space Pussy posted:

Nah, Beamdog should actually die a lovely death because they are garbage talent-less hacks

What's your grudge?

Slashrat posted:

Is Mind Flayers actually being from the far future where they ruled a cosmic empire, and escaping to sometime before the present because the universe in the future ended, still part of D&D lore? I remember reading through some D&D book at one point describing this, and how it scared the gently caress out of the Aboleths (aquatic eldritch beings who have been around since the dawn of time) because the Mind Flayers just showed up one day out of the blue.

Current Lore is that they used to have a multiverse spanning empire but it collapsed due to the Gith Rebellion. Though it's a theory they ran to the Future instead.

Volo's Guide to Monsters posted:

A Culture of Fugitives
Despite all their unique and overwhelming abilities, the mind flayers are a race on the edge of extinction.

Thousands of years ago, the illithids were the dominant power of the Inner Planes. From their astral domains, they launched flying vessels called nautiloids, able to cross between planes, so that they could harvest intelligent humanoids from hundreds of worlds.

The mind flayers relied on a slave race, the gith, to provide physical labor and sustenance when other sources of food grew thin. Eventually, the gith revolted. Whether the mind flayers became decadent or the gith discovered a weakness, none can say. What is known is that after centuries of domination, the mind flayer empire collapsed in less than a year. The gith rose up, slaughtered their masters, and destroyed almost all traces of the illithids’ astral domains.

Only the mind flayers that had infiltrated the worlds of the Material Plane survived, and their safety was short-lived. Both the githzerai and the githyanki, the two conflicting factions that arose from the victorious gith, sent hunting parties to root out and slaughter the remaining mind flayers.

To this day, isolated clutches of mind flayers remain in hiding, seeking ways to recapture their former glory but hampered by their paranoia of being discovered and destroyed by their enemies.

Lost Colonies
Speculation persists concerning mind flayer realms yet adrift in the Astral Plane. Though no one has discovered such a place, it is beyond dispute that an empire as vast as the illithids’ built great cities and other edifices. Most sages, however, believe that the gith tore apart every last bit of mind flayer artifice, ensuring that no evidence remained of the mind flayers’ reign.

A few skeptics suggest that the entire narrative of the gith victory rings false. How could a slave race overpower the mind flayers? Where are the signs of this great struggle? Perhaps the gith didn’t actually win. Perhaps, instead, the mind flayers moved themselves and their works into the future to avoid being overrun. That theory would explain the mind flayers’ disappearance and the absence of any ruins from their empire.

Few folk take such talk seriously, yet no one can be sure exactly what the illithids are and are not capable of.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 7, 2019

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Chairchucker posted:

I didn't play Siege of Dragonspear because all of the new bits in the Extended Editions of BG and BG2 were extremely bad and poorly written IMO, so I'm happy with Beamdog not getting to make this one.

Siege of Dragonspear was a surprisingly solid leap in quality, but the controversies surrounding it probably hurt its sales, and they seemed to have hemorrhaged developers since.

If you like the Infinity Engine games though, IMO it's foolish not to buy Siege of Dragonspear. It's great at capturing the experience, does a bunch of things either never seen before or that cleverly repurpose existing mechanics, and it's solidly above Throne of Bhaal in terms of overall quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

quote:

This doesn't make any sense. Her character uses a female NPC model so you could easily assume she's done that already, and even if she didn't transition she doesn't say word one about having dysphoria, so why would you give a poo poo?

That sounds like an intensely disingenuous argument, which to be honest is unnecessary because being lovely about trans people will rarely get you in trouble anywhere.