Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

itry posted:

I think Swen said people at Larian are pushing for it to be a companion. Or maybe he was talking about a different NPC.

That sounds like a very Larian thing to do. I hope they do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Swen is absolutely ridiculous and is an absolute gift :allears:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I think the Intellect Devourer will fly the Nautilus since it wanted to go to the helm.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Looks like a good range of choices.

"Give the foot a long lick" <- every time.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Stealing in more in my nature but drat me if option 2 isn't tempting just to see how the goblin would react

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'll be honest, I'd forgotten Stadia existed.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Some people lovingly made that licking scene.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
when you go in for that long lick

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Im now curious to see how much more that long lick would be like

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

They should have gone the whole way and had a "Suck his toe" option.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

CottonWolf posted:

They should have gone the whole way and had a "Suck his toe" option.

:hmmyes:

And then conceal the ring in your mouth. I think I saw that in a movie once. Maybe with a gem instead.

Edit: I want to climb walls with my spider.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah I am hoping selecting Spider would allow it to climb walls/ceilings.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

That heat map is pretty cool:

You can see people died a lot to the gators. And that beach fight right at the start, for some reason.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Sept 30th

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

itry posted:

You can see people died a lot to the gators. And that beach fight right at the start, for some reason.

That crazy guy on the south beach got a lot of folks too understandably.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

itry posted:

That fight went through a few balancing changes. It showed some issues with balance that was kind of frustrating to the game starting out.

First, why are crocs shooting boulders at me? Why can they cast spells?
Second, my group is the default distance apart, this croc that casts spells just aoe'd 3 of my dudes at once.
3rd, gently caress these crocs bite hard.

Its still a harder fight even if you are a veteran of the game.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Only one of them can cast teleport, and that's because it ate the gloves. I found it funny.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

would like to see the heatmap for underground stuff like the arena, kniles, dogs, etc. arena is the hardest fight to actually do at level 3, bet it kills a lot of people, even those who know what they're doing.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think this one's the underground areas:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

you can talk to dead people and you can talk to animals but can you talk to dead animals???

itry posted:

the 2 bugs on the beach in tactician mode can keep knocking you down until you die if youre not careful

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

I thought I would love the concept of rolling for skill/attribute checks, but the more I consider it the more I feel like that poo poo is going to get old after about the 10th time I have to pretend to roll a d20 to determine whether I passed a dexterity check. Just give me the option to make the skill/attribute check in the dialog, and give me some way to figure out the result.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

cuntman.net posted:

you can talk to dead people and you can talk to animals but can you talk to dead animals???

I don't see why not :hmmyes:

rojay posted:

I thought I would love the concept of rolling for skill/attribute checks, but the more I consider it the more I feel like that poo poo is going to get old after about the 10th time I have to pretend to roll a d20 to determine whether I passed a dexterity check. Just give me the option to make the skill/attribute check in the dialog, and give me some way to figure out the result.

Yeah... I hope there's an option to forgo that animation. I understand what they're going for, but it will become tedious.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

itry posted:

Yeah... I hope there's an option to forgo that animation. I understand what they're going for, but it will become tedious.

That seems like a pretty basic option to have tbh, don't see why they wouldn't implement it if people ask in early access. It might already be an option.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

itry posted:

Considering that warlocks have both access to talk to the dead and talk to animals as abilities they can just have passively, I don't see any reason that wouldn't be possible apart from whether Larian implements it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I went over to the stream and saw that they were comparing toe ring options or something for character creation and I noped out. Did they say anything of any value?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Sickening posted:

I went over to the stream and saw that they were comparing toe ring options or something for character creation and I noped out. Did they say anything of any value?

That was a gameplay option. Release date for early access is September 30th (provisionally, but they're optimistic) and rangers fighters clerics and rogues are all confirmed classes for EA along with warlocks and wizards, I think?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

itry posted:

I think there should probably be an option to show you the result more quickly, but unless they’re making some significant ability changes, in 5e you may technically need to see every roll after it’s made but before success is determined. A whole host of abilities affect these, but ideally the game will auto determine whether you have an applicable ability that is currently usable.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
If they do add an option to automate the roll / result, they would also have to rework how inspiration factors in. Since the manual roll menu is when you are given the opportunity to use it.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hm, good point. I trust Larian to figure it out though. They've already shown they're willing to change some stuff to fit the ruleset to the medium (rangers, initiative, etc.).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

September 30th, is it? My body is ready.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Sickening posted:

First, why are crocs shooting boulders at me? Why can they cast spells?
Second, my group is the default distance apart, this croc that casts spells just aoe'd 3 of my dudes at once.
3rd, gently caress these crocs bite hard.

This is kind of what turned me off on DOS2. I'll probably go back to it at some point but there were just too many points where stuff didn't work (having to manually scroll to get to a point on the map) or the combat was wonky (Wizard Gators) that I tuned out. There's a lot of rough edges and the game feels based far too much on the devs feeling clever because you could throw a barrel or freeze a puddle. I'm still a little bit skeptical on BG3 as the preview bits shown so far have had a lot of "look at the physics thing we did! look at the funny crafted interactions!" and not a lot of RPG stuff.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

itry posted:

Hm, good point. I trust Larian to figure it out though. They've already shown they're willing to change some stuff to fit the ruleset to the medium (rangers, initiative, etc.).

Yeah, I really wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to cut out some of the universal roll affecting abilities (e.g. the Lucky feat) just to make the play experience smoother.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mailer posted:

This is kind of what turned me off on DOS2. I'll probably go back to it at some point but there were just too many points where stuff didn't work (having to manually scroll to get to a point on the map) or the combat was wonky (Wizard Gators) that I tuned out. There's a lot of rough edges and the game feels based far too much on the devs feeling clever because you could throw a barrel or freeze a puddle. I'm still a little bit skeptical on BG3 as the preview bits shown so far have had a lot of "look at the physics thing we did! look at the funny crafted interactions!" and not a lot of RPG stuff.

THose things are "RPG stuff", hth

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
To go back to the discussion about BG1 - at least for me when BG1 was released there'd not been any RPGs for absolutely loving ages. It seemed like bringing the genre back and having companions and a party and being in the Forgotten Realms was all really loving cool. I ate up loads of information from magazines about the game before it was released.
I did let montaron and Xzar die to the guy outside the friendly arm because I just couldn't get by him and considered them a worthwhile sacrifice but the explanation of "the devs expected people to let their companions die" really is the only thing that makes sense when it comes to the huge cast of characters.

BG2 is the first one that actually gave them anything beyond "a few characters have quests" that BG1 did. I guess there's a reason everyone remembers Edwin, Minsc, Jaheria and etc and nobody remembers poor old Yeslik, Quayle or Tiax. Yeslik doesn't even get a cameo in BG2!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I recognize Tiax, but the name Yeslik doesn't even ring a bell.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

I recognize Tiax, but the name Yeslik doesn't even ring a bell.

He's a cleric that's locked up in Cloakwood mine - they were his family mines.
I always recruited him and took him out even if I wasn't using him but I'm sure 90% of people drowned him by accident.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Tiax was the loving best dude. I remember using him whenever I could justify his, uh, 'eccentric' build because I thought he was hilarious.

I'd never forget that guy, you know exactly what he's about 5 seconds into meeting him.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 19, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Or how about Serena - a thief stood in the middle of nowhere in (or near) the zone that has Drizzt in.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Taear posted:

To go back to the discussion about BG1 - at least for me when BG1 was released there'd not been any RPGs for absolutely loving ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

A year and a half is a long time when RPGs are the only games you play.
Also I'm really not sure how big fallout was in the UK - I hadn't heard of it until I came to the forums - plus it's not fantasy!