Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like both turn based and rtwp so I'd be fine with whatever they choose as long as the game is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I hope they let me join the Flaming Fist. If they do, I'm creating a custom Flaming Fist voiceset for myself that whenever I do anything makes my guy say "I serve the Flaming Fist" voice clip from Bg1.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's not a classic BG experience unless I'm mashing the reroll attributes button 1000 times until I get the roll I want

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

frajaq posted:

*opens character editor and puts 18 in every stat*

*dabs on people wasting time re-rolling*

That's just not as satisfying. When you finally roll 18/18/18 str/dex/con and get 18 charisma too it's just so satisfying. Basically;

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

I need that 18 Charisma, don't judge me

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Overminty posted:

I'm partway through a replay of bg1 now and I just cannot make myself not use the canon party any time I play this. I rolled briefly with Kivan and Branwen while doing the bandit camp but gently caress that.

e: also I got a mid low 80's on my first reroll and went with that, living wild here.

I like to roll with a 4 or 5 man core group and then use my 6th slot to rotate through party members while I do their quests.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

THat's someting I really appreciate about Larian games - they tend to emphasize having a handful of effects (that get applied in a variety of different ways, but ultimately boil down to the small number of templates) with very straightforward mechanics, over the intricate, but ultimately unsatisfying design of so many other CRPGs that get made today. POE 2 is one of the better ones, but still, it falls into the trap of making the combat feel like a chore.

I love the Poe series, but I'm not the biggest fan of how penetration is handled in Poe2. It sometimes turns encounters into a slog unless you have the exact perfect tool to penetrate the enemies you're facing. Of course I wasn't a huge fan of Divinity 2's combat system either. I understand why they did it that way since CC was overpowered in part 1, but grinding through an enemies' armor before you can apply a fun status effect makes combat into a bit of a chore.

I think I enjoy how Poe1 and Baldur's Gate series combat flows better than I do Poe2/Divinity 2. The latter two games are better balanced, but that balance weirdly doesn't always feel satisfying because it makes combats feel very grindy. I don't enjoy combats that take forever to resolve but which feel like nothing is happening during them.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Status_Effects

There's no reason your game needs Held, Webbed, Stuck, Sleep, Unconscious, and Stunned as separate effects with separate resistances.

I kinda enjoy how you can buff yourselfs to the gills thinking you're immune to all bullshit and then you still die. Mindflayers are a classic example of that. You throw a Chaotic Commands on yourself and think you're good so you rush in and start beating them up but then whoops they still have an int draining attack so you still die if you're not careful.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BlondRobin posted:

At the same time I’m not really clear how he manages to kill anyone. Or how the deva doesn’t notice “ah yes this is all the bhaalspawn energy... wait, never mind, you’re missing one.” In fact all the wheels of destiny nonsense designed to exactly prevent there being one lingering bhaalspawn hiding in a corner, like the plane teleporting you to them, failed to notice him somehow.

I don’t know why anyone tries to make a game that is “canon.” It didn’t work for Mark of the Betrayer and made their story have an ending that failed to conclude anything, and now the BG series retroactively didn’t *really* happen to make way for a dull return to status quo.

It does make for a funny alternate ending thought experiment where you lose, Mellisan attempts to deify and spends the rest of forever chasing this one wild invincible Bhaalspawn through the world Coyote and Roadrunner style.

Just because that Bhaalspawn escaped Saradush doesn't mean he survived. I always assumed Mel personally hunted down and killed him, or had someone else do it.

Or even that the wards over Saradush caused him to explode into little pieces when he tried to teleport out. When you talk to one of the wizards in Saradush they mention iirc that they can't teleport out of the siege even if they wanted to because of the wards Yaga Shura's mages have put up.

Although the Bhaalspawn can pocket plane out of there any time. But they're the only one that can do that, presumably. The other dude just teleports.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't have solutions for any of these problems, but I think about them a fair bit. Every time I think of starting another BG1 run, I ask myself A) do I really want to bother? and B) If I do, what's the best way to get some serious experience quickly so that I can get out of the hell levels?

There really aren't hell levels in Bg1 if you use the powerful low level abilities available. Sleep and Command will solve the vast majority of low level encounters you have. You can also win a lot of encounters with Entangle and Ranged Weapons. Sudden death due to bad rolls is of course still a problem when you're that low level and have low hp rolls but aside from that you can steamroll a lot of content with a few spells.

Now you could have a harder time early if you fail to get a Priest or Mage in the party. But Branwen, Edwin, and Xan aren't terribly hard to get, and the EE adds Neera. Even without those, most parties will have Jaheira who can spam entangle until you have access to sleep/command.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Shocking grasp is secretly excellent against most of the dangerous early spellcaster assassins too :ssh:

I enjoy how there's a lot of hidden gems like that in the series. Skull Trap iirc (unless the EE changed this) has no cap on how high it can scale, meaning it eventually eclipses fireball and continues being a strong aoe nuke all the way to the end of Tob. Slow is also arguably better than Haste even though most people would probably naturally gravitate towards the latter.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I haven't paid much attention to this because I didn't want to burn out on it before it was actually released. Now that it's getting close I'm excited though.

Is 5e hard to learn? I think the latest d&d version I've ever played is 3.5. I know 2e-3.5 fairly well from the IE/nwn games.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Scoss posted:

If you are familiar with any version of 3e then you will have no problems absorbing 5e on the fly as you play. I would describe 5e as essentially trying to feel as much as possible like a streamlined 3e, with a tiny tiny well-disguised dash of secret 4e stuff.

That's cool. I hope this is good. It looks rad.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm a big Poe nerd so it makes me sad to see people trash talking them here. I wonder how many people's perceptions were colored by the release of those games. Imo the DLC (for both of them) adds a lot and not only fleshes the world out but in general features good writing and fun gameplay. To each their own or whatever though.

I played Divinity 1 and enjoyed that. I never did finish D:OS 2. I played a bit of it but just got distracted by other games.

My one complaint about the Divinity games is the world/writing didn't grab me at all. The combat was fun though. I'm hoping BG3's writing grips me a bit more. I'm sure the gameplay will be good if it's anything like the Divinity games. I still can't decide what I want to play in this. I haven't played Early Access at all. Kinda leaning towards Cleric maybe.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 15, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mulva posted:

No centrists are Good :colbert:

It's stupid, pointless, and inhuman. Take the number of people who say they are "Chaotic Good" when they play a character. 99% of the time they are Neutral Good, because they aren't going to be constantly anti-authoritarian. Which is, you know, the point of Chaotic. If you are fine with people like, paying taxes and going to schools and having jobs and living their lives? You probably aren't all that Chaotic. Freedom above all else is the defining feature of Chaotic. Does that describe your character or, again, do you just want to help people and be a general good person? If so you are actually Neutral. Chaotic is a stand on the Chaotic/Lawful spectrum, it's dedicating yourself to freedom from authority.

And that's one section of the stupid chart, they basically all have their own paragraph long take down.

Everyone plays neutral evil no matter what their character's alignment is anyways

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Kinda leaning towards Cleric or Bard for my first playthrough. Can't decide though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think after some thought I've settled on doing a Bard for my first play. There anything special to know about Barding or should I just set my charisma high and roll with it?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Guildencrantz posted:

High Charisma, then Dex and Con (for AC and HP/concentration).

Bards in 5e are actually one of the strongest classes, but they also have the weakest damage output and it's not close. Because your main is 90% about buffing/debuffing, team composition is probably going to be extra important. It's not complicated, but do pick teammates who can kill stuff effectively because they are your weapons.

Thanks. Does spec matter at all or are they all worth playing? No idea which one I would pick yet.

I don't think I will faff about with multiclassing though. Not on a first playthrough at least.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, this level of optimization is probably unnecessary on anything but Tactician, but Bard lowkey overlaps with Shadowheart in the support/control role, so you will probably want to have other companions if you're playing that class and care about tactical performance. (or just respec Shadowheart into a Barbarian or something if you want her)

Infinity Gaia posted:

Lore if you want to go all in on support casting with a possibility of actually getting damage spells, Valor if you want to still be good at support casting but also okay at swinging a sword and not dying in melee if need be, Swords if you want to ignore part of that whole "support" side of Bard and instead be selfish and buff yourself into a decently average melee attacker. The most important thing to know about Bard is that you should always take Counterspell as one of your magical secrets because Bard is stupidly good at Counterspells and that spell more than any other saves lives.

Thanks for the tips. Based on the above I'd probably go lore I think.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dyeus posted:

If you wanna do any skill checks in conversations with your bard you're best of being melee Valour or Swords or your bard won't be selected for alot of conversations, including one that gives you one of the best possible rewards available in the DND system behind a high skill check.
Or you could cheese it and reload and play fights over again with hindsight and gaming positioning, but that's way too time-consuming for me.

What's the significance of being Valor or Swords for those checks? I thought Lore Bard's gimmick was getting more skills than a normal Bard?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Basic Chunnel posted:

Same deal with tieflings and other exotic backgrounds, all the way up to the players who wanted so badly to play a good-aligned illithid that they took the +9 ECL penalty. The reformed baddie is a Saturday morning cartoon staple for a reason. Most ppl would rather be Boyd Crowder than Raylan Givens, etc. Unsubtle? Sure. But who cares?

I remember downloading mods to play as a Half-Fiend or Half-Celestial back in the day with NWN2. An Aasimar or Tiefling wasn't good enough for me. Hey, I was 19, what do you expect.

Now please excuse me while I shamelessly roll a Dragonborn Bard in BG3 :v:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I remember being so excited when NWN came out because of the potential for all that user generated content. . . . and then i got distracted and didn't wait for people to make things, and now I'm too jaded by modern graphics to go back

I tell myself while playing literal Spiderweb Software games that are even jankier both mechanically and graphically

in short my mind is a land of contrasts

I actually just finished the OC. It was as sloggy as I remembered it being, but I still enjoyed it. Perhaps it was the nostalgia. Gonna revisit sou next, though I don't know if I'll even finish it before bg3 is out.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tenacious J posted:

It's almost impossible to pick a class. But I read somewhere that in DnD, Warlocks get a spell at level 14 that literally sends someone to hell and back.

What are the chances Larian put that in the game anyway? If it's a non-zero chance I'll palm slam the Warlock button.

I'm pretty set on Dragonborn Bard for a first character. If I like this game I'll do multiple playthroughs as I do with every rpg

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Finally installed this after trying hard not to read much about it.

Hoo boy the dick thing really is a thing. I'm laughing like a child at hanging dong. I wish there was a dick slider though. I'm sure modders will help out

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

post ur characters

Was busy today so didn't get to play much. I got off the Mindflayer ship. Game seems pretty good so far. Reminds me of a Bioware rpg (the good ones), and that's not a bad thing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

tiniestacorn posted:

It does feel very Dragon Age Inquisition-y in many respects, you're right

I could see that. Combat is better than DA:I though thankfully.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Any camera tips btw? Camera feels a little finnicky to me so far. I figured out that I can double tap f1 to re-center it on my PC and that helped a lot. Still not sure I love the camera controls though. Maybe I have to get used to it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm sure it's been said a few times but if you're a blind buffoon like me using the alt key to highlight lootable stuff in areas is extremely helpful.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Nudellos, halfling monk and enjoyer of large women. Also he can whistle really good!

lmao. the beer gut is killin me

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Do party members keep up xp-wise if I have extra ones at the camp or should I be rotating them in and out?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
How is cutting words supposed to work? I have it set to prompt for reactions and it's never prompting me? Not sure how to use this

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So I've got my settings configured like this:

And I checked and I do have 3 bard inspiration resources. Yet despite this whenever I fight something and the enemy does anything I never see a popup asking me if I wanna react to an enemy attack. Am I misunderstanding how reactions work or is there some other thing I'm missing? I don't get how to use this ability

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

queeb posted:

It'll pop up only if it's possible for you to change the outcome with a cutting word, could just be getting hit for larger than a d6 could adjust

Ah, ok. I've never once seen it pop up so I guess I'm getting poo poo dice then. I'll keep an eye out and see if it happens.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The reaction might only trigger after you've cutting words-ed someone, so you can choose which of their rolls to mess up.

I just tested it on a fight after reloading a save and I did get the prompt this time so maybe it is a matter of an enemy roll needing to be within a certain range for the prompt to even appear?

It appears that it should prompt in reaction to an enemy action which is how I thought it worked, so good to know that it does actually work. I thought my poo poo was bugged or something.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Speaking of all this hat posting, in true RPG fashion this game is constantly making me choose between wearing a cool hat and looking like Joe Marlboro or wearing the dumbest looking hat possible but actually getting stats out of it.

....cool hat it is

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Starting to dig this combat now that I have the hang of it. Using throw jump etc really opens up tactical options in a way I wasn't taking advantage of previously

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Man this game rules. Chapter 1 quest spoiler: What a hilarious adventure I just had. I found some old lady in the forest and two guys were harassing her. I asked them to stop, and they said I was an ally of her and that she was a hag and attacked me. I then followed her to her house and foolishly tried to lie and say that the hag lady killed that girl's brothers, and the hag got pissed and summoned some Redcaps to attack me. I eventually found my way into her lair where I put on a fuckin' mask which put me under he control until my party beat the poo poo out of me. That being done, we then proceeded deeper into her lair and had a tough time getting through traps and other poo poo and finally confronted her. The fight against her was cool as gently caress and involved me chucking a water bottle at the burning cage to save the girl from burning to death. As the battle raged, she pulled out all kinds of illusions. I used Gale's magic missile to get through her first wave of illusions. The handy thing about that was I could target multiple enemies with it and suss out which one was her. Her last desperate illusion involved making herself look exactly like Mayrina. I didn't want to kill Mayrina by accident so I used the lowest damaging spell I could - Vicious Mockery - to reveal which one was the hag. I was still in trouble though because I'd exhausted most of my spells by that point and was perilously low on health and resources and she still had like 40 health. Luckily for me, she wandered next to the pit and I had Lae'zel make a shove check and kick her into a loving pit where she fell to her death. The whole hag quest with all the illusions and poo poo was very cool and well done,

One of the most satisfying gaming moments I've had in an rpg in recent memory and I'm not even that far in yet.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
How important have you guys found party comp in this? I have a few npcs on the bench I haven't used much just yet and I figured I'd rotate them in.

My pc is a Bard which I suppose in theory makes the idea of doing that easier since I do a lot of different things

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Lol I'm playing the biggest do-gooder idiot Bard right now. Half the time I try to do something nice I do it stupidly and it blows up in my face. I (act 1 quest spoiler)saved Mayrina from the hag and then I found that wand to rez her husband. I had a feeling he'd just become an undead because hag promises are bullshit but I figured what the hell and did it anyways. Sure enough he rezzed as an undead. Then I decided to kill it and poor Mayrina got upset and attacked me. So I went through her whole quest trying to save her and I just ended up getting her killed anyways. I tried to do the right thing I guess?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ChocNitty posted:

So what are your guyses first impressions on the game?

Wondering if someone who has no interest in D&D can like it. I just like a game with good gameplay, visuals, music, etc.

I'm not super far in but I like it so far. It is a D&D game in a D&D world so if none of those things interest you I dunno what to tell you but if you're someone who generally likes turn based rpgs I do think you can enjoy this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Issaries posted:

You can give her the wand and she'll try to find a cure.

Barreft posted:

Did you get the wand so you can keep summoning her dead husband? also she shows up on baldur's gate city i heard, so definitely doesn't always die

Well she's very dead now. She turned hostile when I decided to kill the abomination I created. I don't think I have the wand any more either. I guess it broke when I decided to kill Conor?

I've been trying not to metagame and reload for ideal results so I'm just gonna roll with it. Funny if tragic ending to that quest line for me