Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I am not the biggest fan of Larian studios' writing, but the hot takes I see here are pretty obnoxious and silly.

It's going to be a pretty good game. It just might not be the game I want. Also, I'm hoping for turn-based because I hate real-time with pause. And I look forward to playing this with my friends, so I am glad they are focusing on multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Just a recurring nightmare of losing your teeth while you patrol the streets as everybody is enjoying their siesta and then the cheese kicks in.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It was in Lords of Madness is 3.5 edition, but I dunno if it has been updated since.

Possessing accelerated metamorphosis, if it's not just a visual effect, would make sense for why mindflayers make a move for the surface.

As long as they can also blot out the sun, but I guess that comes in hand with the Spacejammer stuff.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Entorwellian posted:

He's kind of like the Donald Trump of RPG games: He can sell his name on something without actually doing anything and make both him and the company profitable.

Unless Chris Avellone puts children in cages, this is a really offensive comparison.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Conot posted:

It's also somewhat ignorant to say "D:OS2 has hit chances so why the change of heart" - a lot of abilities in D:OS2 have effects even when they miss - for example oil ball can go wide and hit fire lanterns - which is a totally different ball game from "I cast fireball" - "it misses, nothing happens" which indeed feels like crap in video games.

Fireball doesn't miss though, but Fire Bolt can.

This news kinda sucks to me, now it's no longer a D&D game.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Wafflecopper posted:

did you enjoy the originals for the ruleset or for the story and setting?

I didn't like them honestly.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Wafflecopper posted:

Wait so if you don't like D&D rules why does it matter if it's "not D&D"

"misses do 0 damage" or "misses do reduced damage" isn't really a big deal anyway if the bulk of the rules are intact, it's like getting mad that arwen got glorfindel's bits in lotr, and also you didn't like the books or the movie anyway

I like D&D. Baldur's Gate wasn't very faithful representation to me. I just want D&D experience in computer format that I can play with my friends.

I'm willing to entertain some concessions, but this does kinda hurt the idea that D&D is for everyone.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
In 5e it doesn't matter because you just use proficiency bonus and add the relevant attribute. It's easy to match attacks between classes and there's nothing really stopping a wizard from putting on armor and cast in it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Anydice is good for generating dice curves. My group usually generate stats with 6 + 2d6.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Willie Tomg posted:

--not excessively punishing the new guy/girl who only wants to be "angry barbarian who is a bear. bearbarian" (seriously my last three games have had this, and none of the three knew each other before, i feel like i'm missing out on a meme or something).

I'm running a bugbear bear totem barbarian in our 5e game, where we play as a bunch of investigators trying to find clues and track down an evil adventuring group that has been causing conflict in the region.

Now, it may sound like this would suck if you are the guy hitting things with a big stick, but already in the first session I was using my survival skills to track down the origin of the culprit and took a giant dump in some guys coffin.

I dunno if there is a meme going, but I jokingly made a bearbearian because in the first campaign I played with this dm I was playing a little wizard girl, we had tracked a bear to it's hideout in the forest and it was trapped down the corridor from us. I won initiative, run up the front and shoot this bear with a crossbow. I had miscalculated. The bear was exactly 80 feet away from me, perfect charging distance for a bear.

My friends have never let me live that one down.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Xae posted:

2e multi classes was cool.

2e dual classing was dumb.

3e+ multi classing is dumb and bad and I wish they would go back to 2e multi classing. It would fix an amazing amount of problems.

The only problem with 3e multiclassing is that it gives you an xp penalty if you multiclass more than a few levels apart. Also it really only hurt martial characters which sucks, so most people houserule it out of their game.

I don't get what is so bad about it to you.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Why not just start off at 3rd level.

I agree about the ranger, but the fighter is extremely cool in 5e, excepting Champion. Battlemaster needs a few more Tome of Battle style maneuvers, but is otherwise fine.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Barbarians are great, but the con to AC is really only going to be a thing at end game. It's extremely thematic though, if you want to Conan it up.

Play bear totem and take half damage from nearly every damage type too.

Make sure you equip a greataxe for that brutal d12 crit bonus damage that goes up, instead of wiener d6 damage you get from greatsword.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

or better yet, don't.

You don't need more than 3 intelligence anyway.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 2, 2019

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

Please do not start getting angry at 4e/5e here in the Baldur's Gate thread. Please.

Seriously, there's a whole forum for that elsewhere.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of books, what’s good in Forgotten Realms to read aside from R A Salvatore? (I like Salvatore)

A few years back I started reading Ed Greenwood books and they were extremely satisfying up until "Elminster goes to Hell", which felt like a masturbatory eulogy. One day I will finish it and move on.

That said, Ed Greenwood himself is a pretty cool and chill dude. Making of a Mage was fairly trans-positive for 80's fantasy novel stuff too.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Zane posted:

yah. mystra turns elminster into a girl back in his early adventuring days because girls have a closer affinity to magic. i don't quite remember if elminster has sex as a girl or not though (high in the mind of 12 yo me).

I think only with the priest at the end of that part, but I don't remember what the breaking point was.

Funnily enough, his 3rd edition stats pays homage to these books in the form of multiclassing and his early levels are fighter/rogue/cleric before he starts down the path of wizard.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Plot armor also stated as an inherit bonus of +10 to constitution. That being the same as casting wish 10 times in a row, which isn't legal in the normal game.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
You certainly can't make Elminster with point-buy, heck you can't even make Drizzt Do'Urden.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

As a former GM back in the day I look at your giant text block and laugh at it. tl;dr

If you can't fit your entire adventure on the back of a used envelope plus all your mapping on a single A4 you're putting too much prep work into it. Improvise on the fly.

Go learn some improv theatre if you have to. It works well on both the stage and at the gaming table.

His backstory is just three paragraphs there. The rest of that blurb are his stats used to play the guy. It also details all of his class abilities and magic items, so it looks more bloated than it needs to be.

Of note this is from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book, a 3.0 supplement that was written before they finished the epic rule book, so it has some weird artifacts in it, like his "epic" class levels.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's only 3 ranks as he gets +3 from his 17 charisma. It us equivalent to standing up to dance and then your disc slips in your back and you sit back down.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Southpaugh posted:

Elminster definitely fucks

Oh yeah. In the second novel he fucksmakes love ball lightning with Mystra while in the middle of the sky as a bunch of people watch on wondering if the end times have come.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It might just be how they are written or the jokes they chose, but Larian's humor doesn't grab me in the same way old Bioware or Black Isle games did.

Shane from DOS 2 comes closest and him being a Chris Avellone creation speaks volumes to why.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I hope so, because being constantly told that the humor is fine is akin to telling someone you like Monty Python and they try to recommend you Benny Hill, insisting they are both British comedy in the same style.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Basic Chunnel posted:

A more apt comparison would be saying you like Python and then getting nothing but Pratchett recs

No it loving isn't. Like, even on an objective level.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's pretty goofy.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

I never thought the main story in BG was that memorable either.

Aside from mask of the betrayer I don't think any of the classic WRPG main stories had much pull for me

That makes you kind of an outlier, the one thing people can't get enough of praising about BG is the story.

I do kind of agree that they get more praise than they've earned, but I was more into Fallout myself.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Bhaal is back in Forgotten Realms lore though, he revived after the last two Bhaal-spawn murdered each other releasing a massive, blood-soaked creature that began a rampage, but was stopped by a group of adventurers.

And then he was revived, getting the murder domain from Cyric.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I anticipate just core stuff with more stuff saved for expansions.

I'd really like to have access to booming blade though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Compared to earlier D&D editions, supplemental books done add as much stuff. There's maybe like 2-3 new subclasses per class total and maybe 100 spells.

Core is mostly fine and definitely still a lot of work to add.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'd be horribly gyped if I bought a D&D game and it didn't feature the rules at all.

There's plenty of lovely RPG's with their own ruleset out there.

I mean, I think the best RPG system was in Fallout 1/2/New Vegas, but I don't go around insisting other game systems use it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Why is magic missile doing d4 + 2 damage when in AD&D2.5e it SPECIFICALLY does d4 + 1, I feel cheated and ripped off.

Magic missile has always dealt 1d4+1 damage, what is this brainworm?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

I assume you dislike Baldur's gate 1 and 2 then because the game being RTWP instead of normal turn-based means that the gameplay doesn't really play like tabletop D&D at all.
I've said as much before, yes.

Andrast posted:

Why would you even get Larian to make BG3 if you didn't want them to iterate on their awesome battle system since that is the one thing that sets game apart
Because this is a D&D game and not a Divinity game. If I wanted a Divinity game, I'd play a Divinity game! I own all of them and like them. But I don't think they are a good fit for D&D.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

I don't think 5e is a very good fit for a D&D video game

The strengths of 5e in general (or what people seem to like about the edition) are very much things that would make it worse as a video game. If BG3 combat would be faithful to 5e it would be most boring thing in the world.

Anyway, I would prefer if Larian did OS3 instead of BG but since I can't have that yet, I definitely want BG3 to resemble divinity as much as possible,

Jesus Christ, just play D:OS2 again instead of whining about not getting another game made right away. They will definitely make D:OS3 down the road, you don't have to be this stupidly selfish.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

That's no more selfish than you wanting BG3 to be what you prefer either

Man, I already expect the game to not be exactly what I want, since what I want is kinda out of their wheelhouse.

All I can ask for is that they make something that can be pointed as a D&D game released this decade.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
5e is pretty good, just don't support Mike Mearls.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Generally in D&D, crafting is relegated to NPCs as they are considered the ones working with that stuff while your occupation is being an adventurer.

Now, crafting magical items has been a theme in stories in the D&D verse, like in the Salvatore books and 3rd edition added crafting as both skills and feats, but in my experience it wasn't exactly as rewarding as finding the stuff your DM prepared. The feats also came at the cost of making your character more useful, making them a huge trade-off for something you might only use for a few levels and risk slowing the pace of the game down.

5e itself doesn't offer guidelines as such on crafting items, so anything they make up will have no basis on the rules.

But I don't think looting weapons is as cool as developing one weapon.

By which I mean, think the Master Sword from the Zelda franchise. It's a legendary weapon you have to quest to find and is a huge upgrade to what you had. But in at least two instances I can remember, you also have opportunity to upgrade it by accomplishing heroic feats. In A Link to the Past, you first upgrade it by bringing a dwarves smith from the Dark world back to the Light and later by tossing the sword in a lake/pond.

Something like that resonates with me a lot more than "the goblins treasure hoard included a +3 longsword".

Naturally some of that has a place, but...

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm not sure on this narration style, but it's better than the dumb dialog wheel.

Also yay, turn-based.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I would have loved this game with DOS2 rules, having multiple teleports each round made the fights bearable. Not possible with 5E, prob gonna skip this.

Sure it is. That's what a warlock is for.