Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Zzulu posted:

I never played Balldurs gate

What's so good about it?

it was a game boomers cared about years ago about the most generic fantasy rpg ever, now a different dev is making a game about it and people are gonna be mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

AngryBooch posted:

A relatively faithful adaptation of a D&D rule set.

do we tell him....

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

SLAP IN THE FACE

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I saw some people on RPG Codex treat this game like it's the "Fallout 3 moment" of the BG series and it's the funniest loving thing

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Chairchucker posted:

What does that mean?

A sequel to a classic RPG series that gets "ruined" because its made by different devs years later

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Nordick posted:

You didn't have to play one of the premade characters in D:OS2, it was just an option. I don't see why they'd do it differently this time around. Calm down.

no gently caress YOU dude I'm gonna FREAK THE gently caress OUT whenever I want about this game we have 3% of information about!!!!!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://www.pcgamesn.com/baldurs-gate-3/dungeons-and-dragons-6th-edition

Baldur’s Gate 3 will shape Dungeons and Dragons’ future story and maybe design

quote:

Dungeons and Dragons publisher Wizards of the Coast told us that working with Baldur’s Gate III developer Larian Studios has been such a natural fit that it felt like “an extension of our own team.” So much so, as it turns out, that Larian might be inspiring Wizards.

At E3 2019, we caught up again with Larian co-founder Swen Wincke and D&D strategic director Mike Mearls. Naturally, as Baldur’s Gate III is based on the D&D universe, Wizards has had a huge influence on its design. Asked if working with Larian had had an impact in the opposite direction, here’s what Mearls had to say:

“It’s really exciting when a narrative design team takes something and starts adding a story to it. It starts [you] thinking: ‘oh wait, this could feed back into this thing over here, and there’s this thing here’. What comes after Baldur’s Gate III is going to be shaped by the stories told here.

That’s a possible allusion to D&D’s in-universe story, but Larian might have inspired some soul-searching at a mechanical level, too, citing D&D’s spell slots system as an example.

“We’ve gotten some pushback on some game mechanics,” Mearls admits. “You [indicating Vincke] have talked about how spell slots might not be the most intuitive thing. One of the things with Dungeons and Dragons, which I think is very important, is the method by which we do things is not as important for tabletop players as the actual effect on the table.”

So if somebody says spell slots might be something to look at again, “we would not just change it, but maybe we’ll start exploring alternatives, and then seeing – like, in a playtest – do people like them better? Does it get momentum?

“In some ways – especially in tabletop, because we have 45 years of history – it’s kinda fun to have someone smart who’s not you say: ‘you should consider changing this’.”

Mearls acknowledges there were “a lot of unchallenged assumptions” made during the design of fifth edition, which “we just implemented. But this is why it’s fun to be extending out to the gaming audience, growing our audience, getting more perspectives, and new channels of feedback. It’s been pretty exciting.”

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

*opens character editor and puts 18 in every stat*

*dabs on people wasting time re-rolling*

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'll play Half-Orc fighty-type as always, social stats be damned

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The protagonist WILL be a illithid that retained his personality, this is obvious

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Funso Banjo posted:

But that is one hell of a strong, persuasive reason.

it really isn't

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Average Bear posted:

Jesus christ all we get is a trailer and a name and already Games hates BG3. You guys ever think your hobby might actually be an addiction that you hate? Larian made the best iso-like RPG in decades but apparently they're not good enough to make a BG3. Yeah, sure.

goons have very very strong feelings about old IE games and D&D systems

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://steamdb.info/app/1086940/history/?changeid=6444968

The Larian devs manually removed "Turn-Based" tag applied by users on the game's Steam page :negative:

We lost today TBros

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

chaosapiant posted:

It's still weird to me that Obsidian didn't get this. Their Pillars franchise was successful, and they now have a current technology and RtWP system, including a scriptable AI, that would be a perfect fit for a Baldur's Gate game. Their use of Unity, while having some performance issues, is the closest anyone's gotten to replicating that detailed/painted background look that made every area in the Baldur's Gate games varied and full of eye candy. Even to this day the infinity engine games look fantastic.

uhhh PoE 1 sold well because it was on the Kickstarter RPG hype, PoE 2 sales were..really loving bad

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

please Sven just throw Martial classes a bone for this game

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Ratios and Tendency posted:

He gets badly injured by Gorion.

shoulda pop a few potions then

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Andrast posted:

For this game Larian should just ignore the D&D ruleset and iterate on Original Sin 2 combat while giving it a D&D skin

yeah dis

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

again, there's no reason to think Larian will be 100% faithful regarding 5E systems/rules

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

have very fond memories of abusing physical damage in DOS 2 launch, from shield toss to necromancer spells like Bone Widows

here's hoping BG3 comes even close to the fun I had with abilities

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

wow maybe its the beginning of some publicity campaign?

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/30/baldurs-gate-3-dev-reveals-monstrous-new-image-a-ign-first

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://twitter.com/baldursgate3/status/1217964674156810240

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

they only gonna show something at PAX East

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://twitter.com/Cromwelp/status/1226981641920425985

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Oh boy there it loving is, if its anything but the same as BG1 and 2 I recommend you check out RPG Codex for some sweet grog tears

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://imgur.com/a/Wdpo4KG#e8UfH4t

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

cuntman.net posted:

jokey and buggy are subjective but os2 was one of the best games ive played about reacting to your actions

I had a lot of fun playing a full Physical damage party when it initially released

any game that makes martial classes feel good is great in my book

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

ikanreed posted:

Isn't divinity already a tactics game?

well yeah but the scrapped game almost looked XCOM-like in how the missions went and you organized your squad that you commanded

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

did D:OS 2 also have Early Access? The concept of EA for a mostly Single Player game is weird to me, unless we're missing something about the game

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

CottonWolf posted:

How is this a bad thing? Co-op is 100% the best way to play OS2.

people shouldnt have fun with friends playing CRPGs THATS NOT WHAT THE GENRE IS FOR AAAAAAAA

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

only really worried about crafting system since that really sucked in both D:OS games

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

using horny sword implies your MC is not using a two-hander which means he's using some pussy build

frajaq fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 26, 2020

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

gahhhh cant believe this leaked right when I was asleep, loving french

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

its weird there's something that makes me uneasy/dont like about these leaked pictures, but cant quite put it in words

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

RTwP bastards have pathfinder WotR for them so they have no right to complain about this

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

real talk the grognards are just going to play modded BG1/2 again since its the only game their lifeless husks seem to enjoy

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Swen trying to escape from that tomb trap was extremely tedious, I cant tell if he was being really stupid about it on purpose

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

mixed feelings right now, they seem to be focusing on a lot of poo poo I dont care about lol, we'll see how early access goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

yeah I dont think I'll enjoy this game if they're going THIS hard on 5E rules