Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I never played Balldurs gate

What's so good about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Baldurs gate 2 came out 19 years ago and I never played it and I never will play it but I'm glad we're getting another fantasy RPG and I hope it's good unlike most of the recent ones which have been not very interesting

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Can someone give me some backstory of this world? What are mindflayers? Are they mini-chthulhus like they look to be? What's their deal?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
DOS2 owns a lot but yeah, some encounters just wrecked me. Fortunately you could just lower difficulty in the menu right away if you couldn't get past it

The music in DOS2 is pretty amazing as well

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
DOS2 owned but I'm not like, particularly attached to the setting or whatever. If they make BG3 as good or better than DOS2 I'm sold

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Collapsing Farts posted:

I waited the entire game for the dream visitor to betray me. But you can in fact trust The Emperor. He isn't a plotting evil badguy like some people expected, like I expected. He mostly told the truth and just wanted to stop the elder brain and was basically morally grey right up until the veeeery end when he gives you the ultimatum to eat Orpheus brain or not. And even then he's allowing you to get all the power and sidelines himself as your sidekick so it's not like he's loving you over in any way or has anything else to gain but his freedom.

It's a shame about the Orpheus brain thing though because Orpheus seemed cool

Yeah... I actually really liked the dream visitor for 90% of the game but that sort of ruined the whole thing for me and seemed really unnecessary

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

AlternateAccount posted:

Is it possible to create a barbarian who survives shirtless/armorless? Can you pump enough dex and other items to have a 20+ AC and not get pulped?

I went through the whole game with Karlach as armorless and she was easily one of the tankiest characters in my party. There are clothes that give lots of bonuses to barbarians you can use instead of regular armor

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I played a goody two shoes for the whole game but by the end all the armor I found was super evil looking:

Behold, your saviour :geno:

I don't think I ever found any "heroic" looking plate

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Ginette Reno posted:

Act 3 question Was there a way to avoid getting a companion abducted by Orin? Poor Laezel has been spending this entire chapter abducted. Gortash warned me before it happened but I tried to talk to everyone in camp and didn't see any new options. I'm also curious how Orin decides on a victim since Laezel had high approval with me (but not the highest, I definitely had higher approval with other companions). She also didn't have the lowest approval. Is it random I wonder? I haven't rushed to try to get her because I assume attacking Orin and/or Gortash will punt me into the end game sequence so I've been doing all the sidequests first.

Seems random to me. She did Halsin in my playthrough and he had mid approval of me

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Draxion posted:

The whole thing is sort of complex, here is my best understanding of how it works (Act 3 events spoilers):

Orin will usually kidnap one of the following, and will either do it once you start poking around the sewers (especially following the Emperor's storehouse) or after a few long rests in the lower city:
-Lae'zel
-Gale
-Halsin or Minthara
-Yenna (the kid who joins your camp)
If none of them are around, there's flags for everyone else getting kidnapped too but at that point I assume you don't really care about what happens to your team.

There's a second, more complicated thing that matters if you want Yenna and her very sad little cat to both stay alive. Normally if Orin kidnaps a party member, Yenna was actually dead and being impersonated the whole time, she'll never come back. If she kidnaps Yenna, she kills the cat on her way out and sometimes feeds it to you.

To avoid that, you need to make sure you learn about the kidnapping in your camp, in the event where Orin, posing as someone else, holds the kid at knifepoint. You can pass a tricky check to get her to reveal herself and gently caress off. I replayed this bit a bunch to try and figure this part out, and like a lot of things in the game I think it's got confusing outcomes if you're not long resting a LOT. I had to do like five, getting a new event each night, before the scene you need here triggered.

Huh... I definitely invited that kid to my camp but none of those things happened to her.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Don't Illithid have gods, too? Beyond elder brains? I swear a nerdling told me this once

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Chevy Slyme posted:

Is there a good estimate number for how many Illithid tadpoles I can expect to find over the game?

I’m trying to figure out just how freely I can splash out to give my buddies Luck of the Far Realm and maybe some other stuff without compromising my own ability to grab most of the powers for my main character, but it’s not clear to me just how scarce (or not) these things are.

Not that scarce, you can find a barrel of them in chapter 2 out on the bridge near the tower for example

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
For me (endgame spoilers) it felt like the game was setting up two different paths for the end of the game:

1 - Use the tadpoles and side with The Emperor. The endgame would then be you and The Emperor with mindflayer superpowers defeating the bad guys. But at a great cost; you no longer gain the support of people who are suspicious of a mindflayer MC.

2 - Refuse the tadpoles and deny the Emperor. You now gain more allies in the final fight, since you're not a god drat mindflayer and they trust you. But this also comes at a great cost, you instead lose The Emperors support and the mindflayer powers.

Instead what we got was just a weird mishmash. It was so awkward when my mindflayer MC walked into the barracks at the end during a mindflayer invasion, and apparently convinced the city guard to immediately trust me, despite the fact that IM A MINDFLAYER. Then I give a rousing speech, as a mindflayer, while everyone instantly cheers me on. It all felt so stupid.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
In my next playthrough I'm just gonna dual wield spears

not because it's good but because of how goofy it looks

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

exquisite tea posted:

None of this really bothered me. Maybe they could have at least put in a high speech check there, but whatever. If you wanted a way to avoid another party member becoming illithid, there are several clear alternatives laid out by the game. And depending on the party member, it might arguably even be a better fate for them.

Not to beat a dead horse but ceremorphosis means one of two things; the soul is either completely destroyed during the process, which is mentioned several times in the game. Or the soul is pushed out into oblivion for a fate unknown, which is mentioned in a couple of places in old D&D lore. Either way, the creature that remains as the mindflayer is not the person it was born out of. So if you make Kharlac do it, or Orpheus, or the MC, they are explicitly destroyed/killed and the remaining mindflayer is a new individual with some of their personality imprinted on them.

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 26, 2023

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Khanstant posted:

People IRL do just fine without souls. The thoughts, memories, actions, beliefs, etc of a person are what is important about a person, not a magic ghost inside. Whatever that parasite is in this or any universe is really of no concern to a body.

Yeah, and as demonstrated in the game, mindflayers do just fine without souls. But souls are also real and pretty important in D&D and are supposed to be the sum of a persons life force, alignment, memories and personality... so it's not really comparable to real lfie. The point is that if someone turns into a mindflayer the original soul doesn't remain in that body, so you never "save" Kharlac from anything if you turn her into a mindflayer, for example. Best case scenario you euthanize her right there and then during ceremorphosis process and she gets tossed into some afterlife. Worst case you have trashed her soul so she can never have an afterlife

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 26, 2023

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I never found Omelumelum, the mindflayer guy, in the prison :(

Is he always there or does it depend on some choice? I could have sworn I checked every single room

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I just found a random woman strapped to a gurney, no mindflayer :(

I will look closer, next time

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's been really hard trying out other crpgs after Baldurs Gate 3. I started playing Pillars of Eternity 2 for the first time and it's just... not on par.

Nothing is on par :negative:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

oswald ownenstein posted:

Any recommendations for good play throughs?

The game is such a slog to run around in the world that I'm just losing interest about as fast as I lost interest in act2 of DOS2.

It's basically the same game so I just can't bring myself to push forward, esp after seeing how they butchered the classic baldurs gate heroes.

I want something I can just half watch and get a jist for the game

its okay if you dont like the game

you can just not deal with the game at all

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Astarion is explicitly a hosed up trauma victim who has been under the thumb of a supervillain for one hundred years, a thumb he only got out from under during the start of the game.. and the first thing you do is murder him, instead of hearing him out lol. If you're playing a "good guy", that's a pretty big whoopsie for your character.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Phenotype posted:

Did the Cazador stuff this weekend. What would have happened if I'd let Astarion go ahead with the ritual? I talked him out of it because it seemed like the "good" thing to do, but in the back of my mind, I kept thinking man, we've gotta kill all those vampire spawn ANYWAY, maybe we might as well just put them to use? Over the course of this game I've heard way too many parents crying about their dead children and children crying about their dead parents to even think about letting 7,000 vampires loose on Baldur's Gate to create 7,000 more tragedies. I guess it woulda meant killing his 6 vampire buddies too, but eh, I was a little iffy on letting them walk away free regardless. Basically I feel like the ideal number of vampires is zero, all in all.

He becomes (Astarion act 3 spoilers) slightly more powerful and gets a new improved bite. His personality also becomes vaguely more sinister in that moment. He says it's going to take some time to figure out his new powers... Also, he can turn you into a full vampire if you want - it's his way of paying you back. Though this might be only if you romance him? Not sure. And at the end of the game, instead of getting burned by the sun and running away, he, well, doesn't.

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 27, 2023

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I think the character writing is reaaaaaally good but it's also super-elevated by perhaps the best overall voice acting I've heard in a game... and the animation/mocapping (from 200+ actors :stare:) they did during dialogue also really brings characters and their stories to life and elevates this stuff so far beyond other crpgs for me it's crazy.

The narrative writing was good albeit generic. It really dives at the very end though, unfortunately.

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 27, 2023

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Trying to figure out what order to do stuff in Act 3:

Orin is dead, I have her netherstone.
I need to destroy the Steel Watch Foundry, so I'm looking for a way to the secret prison.
Need to save Duke Ravengard. Is he at the submarine prison?
Need House of Hope on this character.

I'm thinking to find the submarine base, destroy steel watch, save Duke at the same time?

Yeah he's down there

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Ouroboros posted:

It's interesting, I feel like the voice acting is generally very good, albeit with some direction choices I personally don't love (Asterion doing a Tim Curry impression) and the odd poor performance (Karlach again). The animation though veers between some of the best I've ever seen and borderline broken. The PC and Dream Visitor facial expressions especially are just awful, especially next to the generally very good NPC ones. Which is weird because it's not like I made some totally unique face, I literally picked one of the default ones. But then sometimes even with the NPCs it will cut to them making an absolute clown face and totally ruin the tone.

Yeah it's pretty obvious a lot of the NPC's are mocapped which is why they look so good while the mute Main Character just uses the same 10 expressions for everything and it really doesn't always work very well

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

SettingSun posted:

Not really, unless you care about not being able to enter the Wyrm’s Fortress without fighting.

To be fair I never got the dialogue with Gortash when i did it in that sequence. All of Wyrms fortress was hostile, including Gortash who wasn't even on the same floor and started running around offscreen.

If you want to actually have a final confrontation with dialogue you can't do it that way

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Crowetron posted:

Everyone keeps talking about Gale being such a sex pest but in my game he's mostly talked about his cat meanwhile Lae'zel keeps getting horny over my sweat stink.

Yeah Gale never pestered me about sex at all and the only companion specific scene of his that I remember had us two sitting under the stars just talking. All that was missing was some weed to smoke with my wizard bro

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Macaluso posted:

Oh my god Oprheus is the worst. Why do the Githyanki suck so bad all the time. This bitch is making me reconsider reloading and taking the Emporer's deal

Huh? he's like the most reasonable dude ever

I expected him to be a huge unreasonable rear end in a top hat but he just went "I like the cut of your jib, son" after like 1 dialogue choice

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Kaddish posted:

That you know of.

I do wonder about Lazael romance instead of Karlach. I wonder if it's more fleshed out.

I cheated on Karlach with the drow prostitute, she never found out.

The Laezel romance is good.

She comes on to you early on and wants to just gently caress. Over time you can express interest in her beyond loving and eventually she'll open up a bit more. Then you fight her in a duel. :allears: I didn't get much more than that until act 3 when she came to me on the city ramparts and we watched a sunset together and she said she was happy and saw beauty in everything ever since she mellowed out a bit. I dunno if that always happens or if it's just if you pick certain dialogue

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Collapsing Farts posted:

You do? You can literally just ask her what she wants in that situation and she will choose to live

Yeah, Kharlac doesn't actually want to die. She's just looking for a purpose and a way out of her horrible predicament and if you can't give her that she gives up. When Wyll offers a glimmer of hope for her at the end, she takes it and runs with it on her own volition.

And lets face it, we have killed the dead three, murdered high ranking fiends and dunked on a netherbrain... what's stopping us from finding a permanent solution to Kharlacs issue in due time while she toughs it out in Avernus with Wyll? It's stupid to give up and die when she's got a whole group of demigod adventurers backing her up

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 30, 2023

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Even with her current ending, Kharlac is basically the only one out of the companions who actually gets a decent wrap-up at the end. You could argue Laezel also gets some decent stuff

Every other companions ending is a whole lot of nothing, or in the case of Astarion borderline slapstick nonsense if you don't turn him into a super vampire

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How the hell are people finishing the game in 70 hours? It took me 120 hours

that's a 50 hour difference!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

BlazetheInferno posted:

Some people don't check every nook and cranny or idle for several hours at a time getting distracted by stuff on their second monitor.

madness

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

SettingSun posted:

I don't skip dialogue even on repeat playthroughs! In fact it annoys me that my friends in our co-op game can skip dialogue on my behalf.

It's crazy to me that people would skip dialogue in a game that is both voice acted and has unique animations. That's like half the fun, to see the result of your dialogue choice :stare:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Centusin posted:

I just didn't use any allies because you don't really need them

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The mindflayers seem to always be written as these horrific and super dangerous entities but all of their lore is basically just that they get dunked on relentlessly. They even forgot how to make Nautiloids because they suck so much now. Just an entire species of has beens

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Laezel is easily the best romance in the game.

Incidentally she has the best arc in the game as well, next to Shadowheart.

Scientists all agree; Laezel is the best companion!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm constantly surprised by how much I missed in this game despite spending 120 hours in it.

I missed Ethel, I missed the harpies and the genie zone etc...and I missed whatever this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MTqgo0tNAc

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

wash bucket posted:

I stumbled into a variant of this scene and it was the very moment when I realized, "Okay this game is bananas." What's going on is, the hag Ethel starts the game disguised as a sweet old lady, her swamp is disguised as a pleasant fairy tale woodland, and her evil minions (the red caps) are disguised as sheep. But depending on your abilities you can see through the illusion. For example, if you talk to the sheep they go "baah" just like you'd expect. But if you drink a "Speak to Animals" potion it doesn't seem to work. They still say "baa" but now it's just some dude's voice saying the word "baa". That's a clue that something is wrong with that sheep.

If you also have the "animal handling" perk you'll realize it's a trick and the illusion fades. But the red caps don't realize you've seen through their trick so they just keep acting like sheep even though it's embarrassing and it's kind of pissing them off.

thats cool af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
In D&D 5th edition you can ask your soul coins questions and also free the soul using a remove curse spell on it