Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

Yes, I agree with you. I think it was a very unfair comment to make, almost rubbing it into Beamdog and Obsidian, who I am sure would have both loved to make Baldurs Gate III. Personally, I really enjoyed Siege of Dragonspear and would be much more interested in a new Forgotten Realms game made by Beamdog than Larian.

It is very clear that this game will have absolutely nothing to do with Baldurs Gate 1 or 2 in a mechanical and narrative sence. If Larian are so confident it will reinvent the crpg space, they should have called it something different and let it stand on its own merits.

Judging from some of the original additions beamdog made and how they had to cancel their original projects, I doubt we would have gotten a good BG3 from them, if at all.
And Wizards of the coast is quite picky with who they let even utilize the setting. They did not let Owlcat use DnD setting and have been producing some straight up shovelware this last decade.

Getting a proven developer to work on this, even if it's distanced from previous entries, is better than many scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

Its got uhh wizards and poo poo

ZAP MOTHAFUCKA

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Wizard Styles posted:

To be fair the pre-D:OS games are not really worth knowing about.

Take that back Styles.
Take it back.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Wizard Styles posted:

I paid full price for Dragon Commander. I will die on this hill if I must.

Heresy gross and foul.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Seige of Dragonspear had its issues but I really enjoyed it and going forward it'll be in all my future playthroughs. The way people were talking about it made me avoid playing it for a long time and when I started playing it, expecting the worse, I was livid when I found out that a lot of the backlash was from people trying to disguise their bigotry as a critique

Good stuff

I find it a boring crawl with characters I could not care much about, but nothing to actually get mad about.
I did not like Tales of Sword Coast either. I usually played BWS, which I think got discontinued.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

frajaq posted:

*opens character editor and puts 18 in every stat*

*dabs on people wasting time re-rolling*

Real men use editor to put in the stats they rolled with real dice.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Biggest issue I have with making a new BG is that the older games are all connected/unified by the same main character and overarching story. Franchises like Fallout only shared the universe and setting, which made making newer games easier, I think. That's why a BG3 rubs me the wrong way. The "3" in the title should suggest some kind of continuation of the original story. Instead, it's a sequel to a game that was never made because there is no "Baldur's Gate 2" that will act as a prequel to this game.

Spoiler: The one behind the Illithids is Baal.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Semper Fudge posted:

I like Forgotten Realms, but I think I'd kill for a Ravenloft game from this century at this point.

My brethren.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Megazver posted:

I wouldn't mind them getting *a* license. Let the D&D games bloom.

They just cancelled their original project(s), so not happening soon.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Vichan posted:

I honestly didn't mind Anomen, really. He mellows out quite a bit once he passes the test.

Of course, if he fails he goes insane and tries to kill Aerie. Either way he turns into a superior character.

Keldorn too. It's pretty hilarious.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Vargs posted:

Maybe they'll really spice it up with some trolls and skeletons eventually

Whoo boy.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Crowetron posted:

There's a reason BG2 spends most of its time sending you off to the Underdark and pocket dimensions and space orbs and poo poo.

If you actually count all the different types of enemies you can encounter in chapter 1, it's close to 20. But a few of them are single encountersand the enemies in Old Sycamore and bandit fort leave a bigger impression.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Is this canon? Because she's a succubus?

Yes. Kissing her is one of the actual few ways to gameover.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Then I am doing something hideously wrong. Managed to take down Harg, and then spent however long it's been since my last post standing in a circle whiffing Tar

Ekun with Devourer of Metal, Jubilost with Acid flasks and anyone having trollreaper on top of haste kills Harkulga almost too fast. His will saves are not that great either. And Tartuk has no ways to hurt you, so you can just grind him down.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Crabtree posted:

including cheating on Jaethal
That would be fun. Didn't Jaheira cheat on Kallid while he was alive, and he was a wife beater or something in the novel? Someone posted the cliffnotes of that mess once.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
I want a Ravenloft game so much

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Apparently, we are getting Dragon Age Origins+Divinity OS 2 as a game.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Hey, I like fallout 1 and 2 as well.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
The first question in a BG 3 presentation being 'I have never played BG before, how can I not miss attacks but not switch to easy difficulty' is almost ominous. But at least a couple questions that matter happen now. Reputation system and some contextual evil/good actions being in is good.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Bardeh posted:

I think the vast majority of people are just going to be excited to play a new Baldur's Gate game. The number of people mad that it's not the same as a 20 year old game is going to be vanishingly small in comparison.

It does not look like a BG game nor does it play like a BG game.
It may end up a great game, better than Divinity OS 2 and a really good turn based RPG, but the number of people who expected something else is not that small.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Andrast posted:

I don't feel like I missed much in OS2 by playing the game as an original character the first time around

If you did not pick Fane and had Beast in your party over anyone else, you missed quite a few interesting interactions.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Wizard Styles posted:

At the risk of offending the one person delusional enough to think the earlier Divinity games were good, I think fans of Larian became fans because of the D:OS games.

Dragon commander had much better writing than OS games.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Kanos posted:

The most recognizable character in the BG franchise is Minsc, who is a doofy crazy person with a pet hamster who he converses with and refers to as a "Miniature Giant Space Hamster".

BG has long been steeped in Monkey Cheese.

There is a big difference when the game (like most of the other companions) recognize him as an especially doofy crazy person. Like how also most of them are just flabbergasted with Jan's stories. In a Larian game, he'd be one of two dozen such characters.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Bardeh posted:

I was behind Swen Vincke in a McDonald's queue the other day, and I overheard him telling his friend that he was deliberately getting all the little details wrong in BG3 so he could piss off nerds. He was sort of giggling to himself as he said that he was gonna make millions of easy bucks slapping Baldur's Gate loading screens on his new Divinity game.

I believe you.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

We can only hope. Give me a better Inquisition, Obsidian. Bring back Pallegina and set it in the Republics with full animancy shenanigans and a plot to make new gods or some wild poo poo that I can ignore while I try and fail for the third time to seduce the birdwoman.

I am surprised people like Pallegina. After two horrible personal quests in a row, being a glorified thug for merchants and ineffectually whinging about gods without real payoff, I wonder what people expect the 3d time.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

oswald ownenstein posted:

I never understood the hate Deadfire's story got

BG2s main story wasn't that interesting. I mean finding out that Irenicus was just trying to steal his soul back or w/e was cool I guess but the rest of the game is what was so good - not the main plot itself.

In Deadfire when you meet Eothas and the chick from Growing Pains / What Women Want narrates all the stuff with Eothas talking .. that poo poo was really epic, as was finally meeting Eothas after all the buildup from the first and second games.

If anything, Deadfire had some boring companions (except Eder), but the main story was pretty cool. Certainly more interesting than the endless droning about Thaos.

It mostly has to do with the factions, Choice and consequence feeling very ineffectual , and many of the lore/setting elements feeling ultimately a bit shallow. You feel more like an errand boy or very effective mercenary than someone who truly influences the events of the world and has to make hard decisions. How easy is to keep favor with everyone until the very end does not help, nor how almost nobody truly has any good arguments for you to make you side with them. It's more likely you will choose from a meta perspective or real life ideology than a faction and it's characters being compelling. The moment I got the letter from the pirate, I said gently caress it and went on my own. The gods losing most of the mystique they had from the previous game, except kinda Rymgard is my personal pet peeve.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

sebmojo posted:

yes, i chucked her into the blood pool with no regrets

I chucked Kana Rua. He was feeling disappointed after his personal quest and all.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

MH Knights posted:

Its like the Mass Effect series were the most played character was a male soldier with the default maleShep face. Like a signification number of players didn't customize the look of the character at all. Male soldier was the default that was presented when starting the game players just mashed the accept button to get the game started.

Though as everyone knows the real Commander Shepard was woman with fiery red hair, a true Paragon, and lover of blue "mono-gendered" aliens.

Red hair default was rear end.
Also, loved Garus

JamMasterJim fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 11, 2020

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

If the game is capped to level 10 no one should multiclass anyways. You'd be losing out too much.

Yeah, with 5th edition, you don't get to enjoy benefits in most multiclass builds, especially with the origin characters if they keep their current stats.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

multijoe posted:

Looking forward to see how this one turns out, the Kickstarter was a modest success but they really promised the world with content in the pitch. It's not imploded under the weight on its own design so it'll be interesting to see if they had to scale things back considerably to considerably to ship a finished product or they somehow actually managed to make a handcrafted 80+ hour open world game on a shoestring budget.

Well, they will not allow multiclassing due to requiring too much development time apparently, so that is one consequence

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

Enough people complain, they'll probably change it.

I do not think it was ever changed for DOS 2, so it won't for DOS 3

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
So apparently they updated EA requirements from 70+ GB to 150. Guess I should wrap up wasteland 3 .

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
I just hope it does not shut down every 1 hour so I can walk around for 20 mins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

iroguebot posted:

First time wandering into this thread and it's possibly something that's been talked about for pages before but will there be anything like a necromancer class to play? Never played any of the older games but I've seen they had something like that possibly. And I'm talking something like Diablo 2 necromancer.

If you mean General Variant, not happening here.