Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Not looking promising, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Going by the quality of the cimantic, I heavily disagree.
trusting cinematic teasers is a fool’s errand, post-Dead Island

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Was there ever a name for the genre of tactics game where you queued up a series of orders for each unit then hit a button and watched them play out? One of those ill-fated Jagged Alliance sequels/reboots used it iirc

Watch BG3 use that style for maximum chaos

Have you not played Into The Breach

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There’s a trans character, you can fill in the blanks from there

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Vargs posted:

I hope Larian completely replaced their writing team because while DOS2 wasn't as mind-numbingly uninteresting and unfunny as DOS1, it was still very difficult to care about what was going on
What you didn’t like the skeleton dude who screamed the same two barks endlessly until you intuited the right order of anti-curse spells to cast

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

ilitarist posted:

I bet a lot of money that Chris Avellone will still be a contractor with a vague amount of involvement.

Anyway, turns out I've never replayed NWN expansions and never played premium modules. And NWNEE seem to play much better than NWN2, so that's my plan for preparing for BG3.

Given the cinematic Hordes of the Underdark is probably the best prep. And it’s actually a pretty interesting game once you get to the end of it. The way they intertwined the separate plots of NWN1 and the first xpac was also interesting, unfortunately the latter isn’t great and the former is infamously bad

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 7, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Eggnogium posted:

What's it like to play BG2 without BG1? I know the MC and a lot of the party is the same, does it do a good job of catching you up? I gather BG2 is a lot better but I'm kind of OCD about playing game series from the start. (related: Red Dead Redemption has not aged well)
I played BG2 before BG1 and it’s fine, there’s no reactivity between them and you’ll never really be confused by any of the few callbacks. You turned out to be a child of a God (not a demigod tho), there are some folks you’ve gone on generic dungeon crawls with who know you but are leery of your heritage. That’s about all you need to know going in.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Slashrat posted:

It's been a long time since I played Shadows of Undrentide, but I remember the campaign in it being kind of enjoyable, more so than HotU at least. What are the critisisms against it?
There’s a lot of obviously cut content, and the big call-to-action premise is unceremoniously dropped after the first act, along with a lot of characters.

The development of SoU was apparently hosed majorly by the studio that BioWare contracted out for it. IIRC BioWare ended up taking it over and finishing it, and making HotU too

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

BG means a lot of things to a lot of different people but to me it’s mostly associated with the pacing and tonal balance of BG2, the former in particular being something that’s extremely underrated and also extremely out of vogue.

I’m not excited mainly because no one, save Harebrained Schemes, makes area focused hub-and-spoke games like BG2 anymore, open worlds are both rewarded in the marketplace and fetishized by grogs / spergs. D:OS2 was a big sprawl of Diablo 2-style countryside and it was just a never ending loving slog. Even in the looser Baldur’s Gate 1, BioWare level design (which is quest design, which is game design) was focused typically around an area landmark, with things to see and fight that you would clear and move to the next area landmark.

You spent an hour or two in any given dungeon area, new things constantly cycling in and keeping things fresh, very rarely letting anything get old. That was the defining shape of BG to me. Given what’s been said already I don’t expect to see it again.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

They really definitively dealt with a lot of the BG1 cast, huh.

Didn't Faldorn not even have a portrait in BG2? It's also pretty funny to see Coran of all people ending up getting more stuff to do post-BG1 than get killed unceremoniously between games/during BG2. I end up with him in my party for a surprising number of playthroughs.
The vast majority of old CNPC appearances are basically cameos, usually without even an acknowledgement that you know them or they knew you. Which is just as well. Nailing down that BG1 had a canon party was A Choice but it made things uncomplicated for the better.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Suck it up and be evil tbqh

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Can someone give me some backstory of this world? What are mindflayers? Are they mini-chthulhus like they look to be? What's their deal?
They’re cave-dwelling brain eaters with powerful psionic abilities, they are racial supremacists intent on enslaving all other brain-having things as cattle. Luckily for everything else their super schemes are typically thwarted by their chaotic evil infighting and ego and the interference of other powerful cave-dwelling evil things

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Mind Flayers are not Chaotic Evil, and they don't tend to infight. Their issues is that they are low on Numbers and were nearly hunted to extinction.
Wow BG2’s temple sewer colony text lied

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah don’t listen to the grogs, EE is an upgrade (and every mod worth having works with it)

The only thing I don’t really like is that they fixed some monk bugs that allowed their powers to work on a whole bunch of stuff it shouldn’t have. Stunlocking adamantine golems, death touching vampires, etc

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Edit: Also, BG1 has a better main villain than BG2. BG1's villain is a cross between Gregor Clegane in his bigness/meanness and Littlefinger in his skill at scheming and pitting factions against each other.
Sarevok is a mere gnat compared to Irenicus’ power

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

As far as character level, of course he is. But as far as an interesting character, as awesome as David Warner is, Irenicus is just a power hungry dude who was spurned and shunned and wants revenge/power. He's remembered because David Warners sells that poo poo. But Sarevok actual political machinations as well as brute scariness are far more appealing to me.

Must I be interrupted at every turn?? Enough of this

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Savegame editors are the only way to make Mazzy into the paladin she deserves to be, so they're mandatory imo
Iirc the tweak pack has an option for it now

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Is the tweak pack compatible with the EE or just the old school one? Either way, might be a good excuse for another run.

It works now, the installer automatically skips incompatible parts of it

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Buck Wildman posted:

I agree, playable kobolds goddamit

Furries to the gulag tbh

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Comstar posted:

I think my head just got kicked into until it was dead. The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Baldur's Gate 3: They wrote the script in two days.
We could be getting your standard Larian stinker, but otoh this is how Joe Ezterhas wrote all of his erotic thrillers, so if there was enough cocaine involved the mind flayer in the trailer could end up a femme fatale. Whole new meaning of the word “psychosexual”

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 8, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

All the same, for all the poo poo BioWare gets for their writing I don’t remember a single Larian character aside from Avellone’s eccentric skeleton wank. They may as well have all had googly eyes

Also this dude is no better or worse a hype man than Pete Hines or whoever the Bethesda guy is

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The virtues of "low stakes" politics-centered plotting are vastly, vastly overstated. However interesting in concept Sarevok's power grab in BG1 was, it was as incidental to the game as the companion personalities. You never spoke to Sarevok about it, it was entirely conveyed through letters you'd find. It was the barest of barebones pretexts for you to get to the dungeon locales the game wanted you to go to. BG2, which people denigrate as being too "epic", nonetheless made the Player Character the center of the story. Which is ultimately the ideal configuration for a CRPG.

Bioware made an honestly perfect choice in ripping off Whedon's plot and ensemble writing strategies wholesale after BG1, because they are very basic and very satisfying at a fundamental level (BG2 might as well be a season of Angel). They understand that to hook the reader / gamer / viewer, you drop in a strong central cast and increase their importance to the setting so that the stakes of your plots can likewise be increased.

As has been said, Bioware wasn't even cognizant of gamers' desire for story focus until after BG1, which makes the praise for that game's plot very ironic.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Montalvo posted:

Does Divinity: Original Sin 2 have a bad plot? I was thinking of picking it up to get a feel for how Larian games work, but weak plots pretty much kill my interest in RPGs.
The actual Divinity setting is off-label fantasy befitting the original Diablo clones, but Larian could charitably be said to write comedy games. They’ve yet to write a single character as memorable as any of the Neverwinter Nights 1 companions, even Avellone’s contribution to DOS2 is more about a novel (and cumbersome) game mechanic than anything else. but if you’ve ever enjoyed a lesser Pratchett novel, you might find it all humorous enough not to care.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I can’t recall if that’s always been the practice with D&D games but it was definitely the case with BG1.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I guess the question is whether the experience of low-mid level play is appreciably different between 5e and earlier editions m, and whether trap builds are as prevalent.

I’m definitely of the mind that the fundamental math of single-die-plus-modifiers endemic to D&D is stupid and unavoidably swingy, and that Larian’s rejection of misses is an admission that they know that.

Unfortunately you have to assume that an actual fix is out of the question. It would have to depart so radically from tabletop that it would abnegate the all-important product synergy.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 10, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

What if they start you at like level 5 and it’s meant to be a high level campaign?
Part of their ruination of the Baldur’s Gate name must necessarily include an 8 hour intro worldspace

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

If it starts at the end of Descent into Avernus, it might start you at 10-13.

I have to imagine they’re using the module as a story premise, not actually putting players in the position of having been the hero of it. KOTOR2 did the whole in media res thing about as well as any game could, with the benefit of a fairly defined PC identity, and it was still super opaque.

Plus, asking players to build a 10 level character before they’ve even played the game would intimidate a lot of people. You could get away with that in 2nd because player choice was fairly restricted. If 5e still has feats and trap options, you’re asking for trouble.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Otoh, Larian’s shown a liberal approach to allowing respec in the past, which is undoubtedly a good thing

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Agnosticnixie posted:

Also stupid and unavoidably swingy is part of the fun; most tabletop games don't use dice pools and even those that do can be pretty stupid and swingy.

Idk if that’s necessarily true, I can’t remember where I was reading abt it but there was a fairly persuasive blog post re: probability distributions and how doing as little as using more than one dice can dramatically alter the window of success on a roll.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

quote:

"... One of the things with Dungeons and Dragons, which I think is very important, is the method by which we do things is not as important for tabletop players as the actual effect on the table.”
:shuckyes:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

In other words

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Harebrained Schemes have proven they work very well in the '00s Bioware mold, better than anyone else trying it, including Bioware

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Comstar posted:

I hope there's a small sub-quest hidden away where YOU, the player, get to hear all the arguments on which edition of *fantasy game title here* some NPC's are playing, and finally, and definitely get to say, which is the best.

Later on you meet the NPC's and they all agree your choice was the best. This ends the arguments forever. The End.
ToB throwbacks abound where the devs select the worst forum spergs and make them NPCs that you can kill

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Kobold furries belong in the gulag. Larian understands this

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Kobold furries belong in the gulag

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Is BG one of those games that's enjoyable playing as a big dumb tough guy or is it like Planescape where you're encouraged to be a chatty spellcaster type?

There’s very very little stat reactivity, so it’s not like Planescape in that regard. That said, it is D&D so yes, you are rewarded for being a spellcaster far more than being a fighting guy

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Slashrat posted:

With the way it was implemented in D:OS2, there's really no loss for them to implement it the same way in BG3. People that want their main character to have a pre-existing and integrated background can pick one of the NPC origins, and everyone else can pick whatever generic origin they want for their main character.
I’d rather have one well-developed story hook than half a dozen shallow ones (or, for that matter, Fane and everybody else)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It’d be funny if they somehow worked D&D into a CRPG system without trap classes only to make trap stories for the player

I mean odds are if they go that route they’ll have trap everything instead, but it would be funny

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

DropsySufferer posted:

Why did he back off in ToB? With those stats he could have easily killed the bhallspawn.

Near the end there’s a part where you can try and push Elminister into a fight but he says something like you’re too powerful for him and he runs off.

Annoys me to this day because I wanted to kill the arrogant prick. :mad:

Having recently replayed I can tell you it’s because Ao personally handed down the ruling that Mellisan and the BS have to duke it out for the gold without anybody’s interference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

The issue is (and I'm not sure if this is difficulty level dependent), everything has so much armour that you're just spending a huge proportion of the fight just wearing it down before you can actually apply any off those cool status effects you've got. Maybe that'll change as I get further in, but it seems to push you towards damage at the cost of all else because crowd control doesn't work 90% of the time.

Summons also seem better than basically all the other magic, because they're functionally crowd control (they cause the enemies to burn turns) without having to strip armour.
Anything that can de facto give you more actions and / or deplete the enemy’s actions is the most powerful thing in any game. Action economy drives everything. Why do damage, or weaken armor or whatever, when you can make the enemy a simple sitting duck?

OS2, if you don’t optimize, can definitely get to that highest-difficulty Mass Effect 2 phenomenon where your mage / biotic can’t really do poo poo until 3/4 of an enemy’s health bar is knocked out.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Dragonbait's current art.

You guys got games on your phone