Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Arivia posted:

Absolutely! But I'm not saying that it can't have a meaning. I'm showing how "OfLoyalty" is absurd as the name itself, even if that is apparently in Elven (and again doesn't match any other elven personal naming).

I’m not sure how what you’re saying proves anything, lots of names include personality traits the parents want their child to have (sometimes it even refers to loyalty or being faithful, like Vera)! Or, in this case, there might be something in his backstory we didn’t see in the 15 seconds of it we got to see, like it was the name given to him by his vampire sire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Let's see what the 2e DMG says about magical items, as that would have acted as the guidance for the BG and BG2 devs:

quote:

Treasures should be used to build the adventure, develop a plot, and reward intelligent and daring play. If they just appear randomly, not only is the DM throwing away a useful adventure-building tool, he is threatening his overall campaign. In general, a large treasure should be a planned part of an adventure, a way to motivate players, or a goal to be achieved by the characters.

quote:

As player characters earn more money and begin facing greater dangers, some of them will begin wondering where they can buy magical items. Using 20th-century, real-world economics, they will figure there must be stores that buy and sell such goods. Naturally they will want to find and patronize such stores. However, no magical stores exist.

quote:

One of the things the DM decides is just how common magic is in his campaign.

Somehow, though, in BG1 alone they managed to get us a +2 two-handed sword that gives permanent Free Action, multiple magic item shops, +3 plate mail, Boots of Speed (enough to outfit your whole party by the time ToB is over), and an obscene amount ofwands.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wrong it takes place in the Forgotten Realms and it's going to take place in Baldur's gate. So it has at least 3 things in common.

Only 2/7 of Baldur's Gate 1 takes place in the titular city and none of Baldur's Gate 2 or Throne of Bhaal do.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

"Wyll has a reputation as an amazing swordsman, but low strength and high charisma, it makes no sense!"

Nah, it makes perfect sense. I get the feeling that if you keep Wyll around his story develops in some fantastic ways.

I tried using Guidance to help my non-combat rolls and got this:

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

For all of you who have tried knocking out enemies: they don't die after the fight! At least, they haven't for me. They just gain the "Knocked Out" status, which clears after the next long rest.

However, they are still hostile, so you'll have to kill them eventually. This was an issue when I knocked Spike out for Wyll to interrogate and nothing happened. It worked for the other goblin he wanted to talk to! Instead he just got mad at me for killing Spike without him while he was there. He was even the one who knocked him out. I hope that in a later version knocked out enemies will return to neutral so you can do things with them besides murder them. I've tried it a couple times and it's very unsatisfying to go the extra mile to not kill someone and then end up having to do it anyway.

edit: Any idea what this item does? I figured it would give Darkvision to my human, but it doesn't have any effect. Thinking it might be bugged like the Warlock darkvision ability, but I'd like to be sure before reporting it.

Softface fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 13, 2020

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Hihohe posted:

This might have already been answered but theres that puzzle in the goblin fort with the moons and i think i broke it. It turns wrong and I think some of the tiles are over lapping, making it impossible to solve. Is there anyway i can reset it?

It sounds like it's working as intended. However, you can bypass it by pulling the lever in the room you can discover with a perception check (or at least I could earlier tonight).

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

This game already has everything, even in EA. I told a robot I was sad so it gave me a hug.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

I love the non-verbal communication in this game. Half the conversations with my elf had her staring at the dude, clearly thinking "are you loving kidding me?" When they get the bugs ironed out this is going to be the first AAAA game.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Being a Cleric of Bhaal is cool, and good.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Anyone know what the Sussar bark masterwork weapons do? I heard the extra abilities aren't in the descriptions and that the dagger has silence on hit.

Yeah, my initial load time is long as hell, but after that it's pretty decent on a standard drive.

Greatsword has silence on hit, too. I suspect it's a common ability for all the sussar bark weapons. Additionally, the last time I tried it the sickle recipe didn't seem to work.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Caidin posted:

No. What is it?

All are welcome in Garl Glittergold's sight.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Does Isobel show up after the Act 2 boss, and does anyone have a good video of the amount of poo poo she must talk if Shadowheart goes all-in for Shar?

That'll be a pretty hard video to find since, at least for me, Shadowheart killing the Nightsong made the ritual protecting Last Light Inn fail, killing everyone there and turning most of them into shadow people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

buglord posted:

Early act 3 spoiler question is there a way to avoid getting jailed with the Steel Watcher before getting into Baldurs gate?? I extremely want to avoid having to do everyone’s inventory over again. It’s such a pain to manage.

Just resist arrest and kill them, it's only that group that'll be hostile and you can make nice once you get into Wyrm's Rock.