Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

This is going to suck rear end. The fact that they won't even say what the game will play like says a lot.

It doesn't say a god damned thing, really. This game is still a long ways off and they want to not say much until they are ready to actually show some stuff, too.

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Was there ever a name for the genre of tactics game where you queued up a series of orders for each unit then hit a button and watched them play out?

If I understand correctly what you mean, the UFO: After* series of XCOM-likes did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

DoubleDonut posted:

put Mazzy's identical great-grandaughter in as a party member, you cowards

Hire David Warner to voice the main villain again

Seriously he made Irenicus so loving good

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

fargom posted:

Yeah but I've never saved Minsc from the starting dungeon because he is an annoying dickwad. Rot in hell Minsc, and take boo with you.

How do you sleep at night

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

DrManiac posted:

It would be crazy as poo poo if we got baldur's gate 3 in November.

It would, but Vincke's response to the question whether the game will come out in 2019 was literally "Hahahaha no".

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI4v6hC_rjM

EDIT: I'd just like to reiterate that I love Swen Vincke so, so much :allears:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 7, 2019

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
You didn't have to play one of the premade characters in D:OS2, it was just an option. I don't see why they'd do it differently this time around. Calm down.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

YOURFRIEND posted:

My issue is it being incentivized by content that I'll never see because I'm never going to play one of their dudes.

That's really on you then, if you choose to be so drat bullheaded. :shrug:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

FairGame posted:

"hey, come chill with me; you're good and that dispel is handy."

Seriously though. That special Inquisitor dispel got loving nuts.

Evil Wizard #45: "Ha ha ha ha you fools, my dozen layers of magical protection render me impervious to your feeble tricks!"
Keldorn: "Yeah, nah." *bloop*
Evil Wizard #45: ".....well, poo poo." :gibs:

Even aside from that, Keldorn was one of my favourite characters in the game. A true paladin of fervent beliefs, but not a blustering oval office about it. Also the cool portrait and voice helped.

MMF Freeway posted:

I played the poo poo out of 2 before even trying 1 and yeah its fine.

Same. I think I only ever played BG1 once, and that was after several BG2 playthroughs.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

fargom posted:

I'm casually playing BG2EE, haven't really played through this game in a long time but oh man the Monk class seems stupid good at certain things. No clue how well it will perform later on in ToB but at level 8-9 and still very early in chapter 2 my monk can do 7 attacks every 2 rounds, has a -4 AC, hits for 1d12+2 damage, moves at hasted speeds at all times, and is able to stunning fist dumb rear end wizards hard enough to cancel all the spells, ect.

If memory serves me, it'll just get more nutso later on, so have fun!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

So that all very clearly tells me that they should be good, so I dont see how it is not true?

If you think "punish those who have committed a grievous sin" sounds "clearly good" then I don't even know what to tell you

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Sinteres posted:

I have to say I think Swen is one of the more effective hype men in games because his passion for the games they make really comes through every time.

Every time I see a video with Vincke gushing about whatever awesome stuff they're doing, I just want to pinch his cheeks and ruffle his hair because his enthusiasm is adorable.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

steinrokkan posted:

What would be more elegant than autopausing? Actual turn based combat. Even the most elegant RTwP system is still just something that is jury rigged to barely work.

This is a hilariously exaggerated - well, actually just plain wrong - statement. And so is your hyperbole about the retargeting, for that matter.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Arivia posted:

It works really well in an old-school game where level 1 is very much about knowing you can't actually fight anything and have to evade/outthink things. Old-school D&D started the players as nobodies and had them grow into heroes; modern D&D starts you as a hero and grows you into a superhero.

My favourite low-level mechanics in RPGs that I've played is the "character funnel" in Dungeon Crawl Classics. Each player creates four level 0 civilian mook characters, and whichever survives the intro adventure becomes their actual character. :v:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Arivia posted:

You're completely wrong, but I'll respect your decision.

They're not wrong. Accept that you misinterpreted someone's post and move the gently caress on.

EDIT: Wait, poo poo, I just looked at Arivia's rap sheet and yeah. Maybe WE need to just move on.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I just replayed D:OS 2 recently, and a lot of people ITT are waaaay overstating its general level of goofiness.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
If I recall correctly, Vincke's reply to the question whether the game was gonna come out this year was along the lines of "Ahahahahaha no"

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Chairchucker posted:

Wasn't that reply for the question of whether it would come out last year?

Now that you mentioned it, I think you're probably right.

Also I'll probably be fine with whatever controls/combat mode they go with. I like the Infinity Engine/Pillars style RTWP, I like turn-based, and KotOR/ME style 3rd person is absolutely fine too.

In any case, I'm loving excited, y'all.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My RPG group has been playing Adventures of Middle-Earth, which is the LotR setting for 5e, for over two years now. 5e seems fine to me and is definitely a drat sight more enjoyable than 4e. :shrug:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Idk I usually just popped Bless and Haste and went to town :shrug:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Super No Vacancy posted:

special guest better be jon irenicus

Presentation is about to begin. The stage is pitch dark. Then, from the PA, a voice:

"Ahh, the child of Bhaal has awoken."

A single spotlight turns on, revealing David Warner holding a mic.

"It is time for more.... experiments."

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I just watched the presentation and I am now super loving stoked for Dungeons & Divinity: Baldur's Sin 3.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Jesus christ people get hung up on the weirdest poo poo and die on the weirdest hills.

I guess I should count myself fortunate that I'm fine with either RTwP and turnbased, because there seem to be some right miserable shits on both sides of this stupid debate.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Pallegina is cool and all, but I will forever be ruinously salty that my best buddy Zahua wasn't there sailing the Deadfire with me. :smith:

I even named my ship The Malcachoa in his memory

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

oswald ownenstein posted:

Sound? Music? Art style? UI? font?

Maybe our idea of what a tribute would be is different but that's exactly what I'd want it to be - if a tribute would be like what xcom 2012 was, or the new doom games.

Literally none of the aspects you mentioned are in any way similar between OG X-Com and new XCOM, though

Seriously, have you ever considered the possibility that this "BG feel" you keep harping on and on and on about might be completely subjective?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

how does it being subjective change the point

everything is subjective lol he's just giving his opinion on why it isn't baldurs gate

Yeah except he keeps framing it as "Larian isn't doing anything to make it feel like a BG game", which he is not in anyway the arbiter of.

EDIT: I mean, "I'm not personally getting a Baldur's Gate vibe from this" would be perfectly fine, stating poo poo like "Larian doesn't care about Baldur's Gate and are not trying to make a real BG game" like it was objective fact is dumb.

EDIT 2:

Caidin posted:

If the start menu doesn't open with a Chorus shouting "BUUM BUM bum bum" at me then I'm sorry but it's not actually Baldur's Gate in any fashion and Swen Vincke must be led to the guillotine.

Also the level up notification sound must be the EXACT SAME *boing* noise or the entirety of Larian studios must be put to the torch

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 1, 2020

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dos2 soundtracks were great but they matched the tone of the games which was slapstick

There's nothing slapstick about the soundtrack. There's like a couple jaunty tavern tracks but other than that it's all ye olde soaring fantasy music. Hell, some of the tracks could be lifted whole cloth into Baldur's Gate or The Witcher and I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 3, 2020

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Cythereal posted:

If there's one good lesson every video game should take from Baldur's Gate 2, it's that fans will overlook a shallow and uninteresting villain if you cast a great voice for the role and tell them to ham it the gently caress up.

Still holding out hope for an evil warlock villain played by James Earl Jones

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

rope kid posted:

I don't think that is "the way" to build or present a world, and by Deadfire we pulled back a lot (especially in character creation) on the text, but that was the goal I had with the first game. I understand why some players don't like it and why other developers don't build/present their settings in that way.

For what it's worth, I thoroughly enjoyed gorging myself on the lore in character creation, and Eora is one of my favourite settings today. So, you know, well done.

EDIT: I also never found the ending dungeon particularly long, nor did I have inordinate difficulty with the Thaos fight :shrug:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 4, 2020

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
It's true you know, no person anywhere has ever had a name differing from the usual naming conventions of their culture

Nordick fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 5, 2020

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Arivia posted:

Would "FromLoyalty" as an English name sound off to you? Phonetically it's nothing like other FR elven names; it does not fit period.

[citation needed]

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Arivia posted:

If Asterion or whoever got the name given to him by his vampire sire that’s one thing. But as an actual elven name? No way.

Maybe people would believe you more readily if you actually presented some basis on why exactly Astarion is wrong, instead of just vigorously shaking your head going "nuh-uh! nuh-uh!"

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Maybe the real bad thread was the posts we made along the way

...wait

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bg2 was a serious game with comic relief

Dos games are the three stooges from the outset - I mean you meet a talking squirrel riding on a skeletal cat mount in the first 30 min

Totally the same thing guys bc turnips and minsc and noober

You meet Minsc literally in the first room in Baldur's Gate 2, I don't think "in the first 30 min" counts for much here

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Arivia posted:

Elf names in the Realms are like this: (Male) Aravilar, Faelar, Mourn, Nym, Orlpar, Saevel, Respen, Rhistel, Taeghen; (Female) Amra, Hacathra, Imizael, Jastra, Jhaumrithe, Quamara, Talindra, Vestele; (Family Name) Amalith, Braegen, Calaudra, Eveningfall, Laelithar, Moondown, Tarnruth.

There's a particular sense of unity and style to them, that Asterion definitely does not fit.

Aravilar and Astarion could basically be twins with those names, imho

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

AngryBooch posted:

I thought it was cool that by the end of the Pillars 2 I could identify a character's ethnicity or cultural background based purely on their name and the real life roots of the languages.

Yeah same, I personally love the PoE setting, and the languages/names do a great job of giving the different cultures an air of authenticity. Also there actually was this in-game book on Glanfathan pronounciation that helped me make sense of the seemingly inpronounceable names.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Avalerion posted:

That, and a pronunciation guide. :haw:

There is the in-game book, though! But yeah, it wouldn't have hurt to have some NPC toss it to you in the starter area like "Hey, since you're new to the Dyrwood, you might wanna take a look at this".

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Arivia posted:

But your home game and a licensed product are two very very different things. You have freedoms in your home game that Obsidian does not in making a CRPG (nor does Larian) and the limited freedoms that Obsidian did have to make a licensed product they abused.

I kinda feel like you are actually not in any position to dictate what freedoms Obsidian and Larian have or don't have in handling a product they licensed. It WotC gave them a thumbs up for the plot in MotB, then I feel it's all kosher. You can personally dislike it all you want, but please stop getting high on your own farts and acting like you're some kind of authority in the matter.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 6, 2020

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

High mortality settings rule, see dark sun, where you bring multiple character sheets to the first session

Dungeon Crawl Classics starts with each player making four level 0 civilian mooks, then they go through an intro adventure called a "character funnel" and players pick their actual characters out of the ones that survive and get to level up into actual level 1 adventurer classes.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
It's true Thaos wasn't presented very well in PoE, but apart from that the writing sucked me right into the world from the get-go, so ymmv I guess :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

jng2058 posted:

I don't care if each encounter takes longer if I can make each of my characters do what I want them to when I want them to and not have to worry about AI scripting or constantly pausing to keep my team from doing stupid poo poo. :colbert:

Maybe I'm a freak or something, but I never bothered with the AI stuff in IE games or PoE, I just set it up so that characters would autoattack if enemies came in range and would change targets when their current one died. Anything beyond that I just managed myself. Never felt like it was a chore or anything. PoE's combat was messy, but that was because of the graphical effect bombardment and nebulous feedback, not because I had any difficulty controlling my party. :shrug: