Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I like the character designs and close-in dialogue camera and, while I have loved many RTwP games, I've come the conclusion that Divinity's turn-based style is just better. The only thing I really don't like in the leaked shots is the internal narration dialogue style. I think it reads really unnaturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

I was too young to play the infinity engine games when they originally released, so DA was my first crpg. I think they were marketed as a throwback to an extent but there was definitely also an effort to bring in people like me who hadn't played the older games.

Edit: wait, origins came out in 2009? Maybe I'm misremembering and had played some of the old games before then.

UrbicaMortis fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 28, 2020

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Bholder posted:

Heck, one of my issues with DOS2's writing is that it takes itself way too seriously compared to the old games (not to mention it retcons everything but that's usually for the best) yet people call the writing non serious and jokey? How?

The main plot stuff about the source and whatever I could see being described as taking itself too seriously, but the general tone of the game and most of the characters/quests you encounter are absolutely jokey.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

So the press junket said 15 races or subraces. What would they be?

Drow
Half-Drow
High Elf
Wood Elf
Half-Elf
Mountain Dwarf
Hill Dwarf
Lightfoot Halfling
Stout Halfling
Human
Asmodeus Tiefling
Githyanki

Gives 12 confirmed. There are 4 more in the Player’s Handbook, Dragonborn, Half-Orc and two varieties of gnomes. So at least one of those doesn’t make it in.

Those fuckers better include gnomes!!!

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Sombrerotron posted:

I will say that if there is one single thing I absolutely want from BG3's combat, it's hearing a solid, meaty thump from my speakers, seeing the screen shake, and having my currently-activated party member cry out victoriously whenever they land a critical hit. It's so underwhelming when it's just BIGGER REDDER NUMBERS flying out of some mob's head. I want to feel that crit and savour it.

From the demo video they showed, I think a glowing gold D20 appears on screen when you crit.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

The way 5e paladins work is so much better. I'm playing one at the moment in a tabletop game who's dedicated to revolution (mechanically I took oath of vengeance). In a lot of ways he's a typical paladin concerned about justice and protecting the weak, but obviously there's not really a way to lawfully plot the violent overthrow of the state, so he wouldn't have worked in older editions.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Andrast posted:

I'm the last person to defend the lovely alignment system but being Lawful does not mean that you agree and follow every law of the society you are currently in. A lawful good character can easily just a be a character with a rigid code of ethics they follow.

Yeah, that's true. I guess it would be fairer to say that it was a good choice to no longer be at risk of all your class powers suddenly vanishing if you take an action the DM decides isn't in your alignment

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

I played all the DA games on console so for me the Inquisition tactical camera was a huge upgrade but obviously it was complete trash if you were on PC.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Notably you can get a Githyanki silver sword in BG2. (It's a great weapon.) However you have to deal with a Githyanki hit squad if you do.

Wasn't a gith silver sword a big plot point in neverwinter nights 2? I vaguely remember that being the case.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

You can betray the faction you are allied to at several points in the later chapters. This is actually pretty cool because while both factions are pissed, Bleden Mark starts taking an interest in the player for accomplishing the mission solo and courting heresy.

Joining the resistance basically requires a walkthrough though. Some key decision points are really poorly signposted. It’s fair that the different factions have long memories, but some concessions should have been made to help the player make an informed decision.

The moment in the trial where I out of nowhere accused my ally (who was clearly about to turn on me) of treason felt amazing.

It's a shame the ending is so rushed because that game does a good job of making you feel like a machievellian schemer.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

I used these guides when I played: https://www.gog.com/forum/pathfinder_kingmaker/companion_builds/page1 because I had no idea what to do otherwise. Admittedly I've never played pathfinder but I have a decent amount of experience with CRPGs and 3.5 D&D and it was still pretty impenetrable, which was unfortunate because the game seemed balanced around at least a certain amount of system mastery. Character building in Divinity wasn't as bad as that, ime, but I do think there's more trap options or opacity compared to something like PoE.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

They didn't mention much about equipment in BG3 in the videos but yeah, I don't remember Divinity having interesting gear. It was mostly just better stats and sometimes the weapons would have a chance to inflict a status effect.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Making a fantasy setting where the traditional elements of the genre are subverted (in this world the elves live in ghettos and are victims of racism!) has got pretty old at this point but playing Kingmaker definitely reminded me why people felt compelled to do that stuff in the first place. The alignment stuff especially feels very goofy.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Man, I need to replay Alpha Protocol but I only ever had it on my 360. Is there a way to get it for PC digitally now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Dillbag posted:

Would you rather recruit Bob, the accountant who still lives with his mom?

Honestly I would be very into having Bob from Accounting as a companion in a fantasy RPG. He has no attacks or spells and just spams the voice line 'oh boy, that doesn't look safe' in combat.