Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So one of my Top 5 games of all time is getting a sequel made by the developers of one of my other Top 5 games of all-time.

HYPE ESCALATING!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Zzulu posted:

I never played Balldurs gate

What's so good about it?

The original Baldur's Gate was a little meandering and had somewhat dull writing but it was a great translation of a (quite flawed) game system into a video game.
The second...was just better in every single way: the mechanics (since you started at level 7 when the fun poo poo begins) the world, the writing, the characters. Everything was loving awesome.
And it had a billion things to do and amazing pacing. You seldom got stuck doing one thing for too long. None of the dungeons were obnoxiously long, none of the quests will overloaded with fluff and every one of them felt meaningful and interesting in some way.
The three big downsides to BG II was A) Real time with Pause is kinda stupid. It worked but it was hard to feel like you were in control of what was happening B) The plot takes over and you get pretty railroaded after chapter 2 and C) The 2nd edition ruleset had a bunch of idiotic nonsense in it. Fighting wizards in 2 was a massive chore because of the stupid dance because the 27 layers of protection they'd put up and the 27 countermagics you had to cycle through to deal with it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Also it's one of those games where people have written absolute tomes on how to abuse it.
As opposed to a lot of games that feel in control of how powerful you are at any given point in the game.
Now of course some people call this 'good game balance' and they are totally correct.
But good game balance is for competitive multiplayer games; single player? lemme take the chains off and wreck poo poo.
high-fives Might and Magic VII for good measure

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok if there's one thing that raises the tiniest flag it's the idea that I can just pick up a module and read through the plot of BG III before the game even comes out.
But then again it isn't like Larian has the best writers in the world so it might be a blessing in disguise.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Freakazoid_ posted:

The more I go down the forgotten realms rabbit hole, the more I'm convinced it was actually a retcon, because Ao is literally described as a writer who's boss is constantly calling him into the office.

I'm actually convinced that 'Ao' means 'Author Override'. Like every time a writer has to break FR continuity to make some big change that otherwise doesn't make sense 'Ao did it'.

Also. This thread is moving pretty fast. Is this 60$ 1/3rd of a game beta really have enough to talk about?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

babypolis posted:

sadly apparently PoE2 did very poorly and a sequel seems unlikely

drat it all why can't people just like the things I like?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Good. New question. Is Act I a relatively self-contained narrative or is it all 'Ok I beat it, time to wait ??? years for Act 2'?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Their EA message says 'at least a year, it's done when it's done'.

jokes posted:

PoE, DOS2, then Pathfinder (if ever). Pathfinder is really uh... a lot.

My order would be DOS2 first but all those games are amazingly worth playing. Just know that Pathfinder is somehow a 150 hour game that doesn't feel like it has much more content than the other 2.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 17, 2020

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Some may argue that going 1-20 would create horrible pacing problems. On my end? This reeks of BG 1. Actually start at level 3 or something. Level 1 is bulldonk and everybody knows it.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 17, 2020

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

drat it. After 2 days of procrastinating and putting it off I finally dipped my toes into Baldur's Gate III...and promptly got stuck in the 3rd room (the ship exterior with the ledge). I'm playing a Wizard, can't jump it, don't have the jump spell Broke the spawn basin in the first room, killed the Intellect Devourer if that counts for anything.. Found 3 chests but there wasn't anything useful inside. So now I'm stuck on a goddamn ledge 5 minutes into the game.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It didn't seem like I had anywhere near the distance but this is the second time I've heard this. Thank you for your help.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I had attempted to line the jump up a half dozen times before I quit out of the game in frustration. My first try back into the game I lined the jump up perfectly. Thanks for the help.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So after almost a year I decided to try this again. I know this is still quite EA but is 7 minute load times to get into the game normal?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Makes sense thank you.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I cleared my cache, checked the intregrity of the files and rebooted my system. That helped but it was still a little over 3 minutes.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

lemonadesweetheart posted:

That still seems long. Are you running vulcan or directX? Are you having any issues with any other games?

I'm running Vulcan because that's the default. And yeah some of this at least is my compy. It can lag pretty bad at times and not just with video games. Not sure what the issue is and I don't want to bring it into the shop.

Like the most recent time I played BG III it load okayish, sputtered and lagged at the part of the wilderness with the river even at low graphical settings, hit a bug during an event where I was resting and my character was supposed to be doing something but it just showed him endlessly tossing in his sleep. I go to exit to main menu and THAT took the better part of 5 minutes.

This sucks. Not like, the game, but whatever the hell my compy is doing.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yeah ok I just realized/remembered what the problem is with about 90% certainty.
My HDDs are 11 years old.
Might be time to pull the trigger on getting an SSD.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I pulled the trigger. Time to wait for it to come in then completely mess up the installation and somehow destroy my entire computer.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

sebmojo posted:

e: https://au.pcmag.com/ssds/87914/how-to-copy-your-windows-installation-to-an-ssd is a decent guide, you do want to be careful doing it as it is possible to brick your windows install if you don't pay attention.

I am now frightened

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

isk posted:

At this point I wouldn't be shocked if, say, once you reach Baldur's Gate, Shadowheart pulls a WWE Sting and unmasks herself as Viconia

To be clear, I would consider this an absolute win. We got Minsc and Jaheira? gently caress it. Let's go all in

Alternately: Viconia's daughter. For bonus points Viconia's daughter with the MC of BG 1 and 2.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Flowing Thot posted:

Endgame lich in WoTR is very much not a good crusade.

Lich Sword Saint was so fun. And that's with me not even knowing how it worked with elemental barrage.
But I noped out at the beginning of chapter 5. I'm just not cut out for evil runs.
I love WoTR. I have 3 playthroughs that went to Chapter 5. Never beat it. Chapter 5 a grind yo.

But BG III. In almost a week! Anything less than 'religious experience' will be a disappointment for me given that BG II and D:OS2 are both in my Top 10 games of all time list.
(Though I'll level with you. The beta didn't quite hit that level for me. But I also last played it a year ago. Hearing that the level cap is 12 deflated me a bit too. Even though I get why).

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Seems like they've left room for a 10-20 level range sequel.

I hope it's just DLC. I would prefer to not wait until 2029 to play BG 4 and finish my character's story.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Mulva posted:

They've openly talked about higher levels being a nightmare with their level of reactivity, there is every chance they just....don't make higher level content.

Having played Throne of Bhaal and knowing how stupid high level D&D is I can accept this even if I'm not terribly pleased about it.

Shifting gears for a second: I keep hearing about how 'Reactive' BG III is but I'm not quite sure what that means in this context.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Thank you for the information friends.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

ZearothK posted:

Sure, people are talking about replays as if it means playing to full completion. What we actually mean is that we will never see the last third of the game, but will re-do act 1 with so many different characters that we'll feel physical pain from revisiting the Druid Grove.

This but the Illithid Ship. Which I'm already sick of and I only did it 4-5 times.
Also: I never finished the demo. Because I felt like if I finished the demo then there would be nothing left to do but twiddle my thumbs and wait. This way I could convince myself there was something to go back to before release.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So in D:OS 2 I played the origin characters because I wanted the additional plot stuff.
But here...I don't want to play as any of those NPCs.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

ZearothK posted:

Given there's an achievement for multiclassing all 12 classes by endgame I wonder how functional that character would be without respec shenanigans; like what would be the best order to pick the classes?

I imagine Fighter (for equipment proficiencies) at level 1 might be a good one, but I am drawing blanks here past that.

Oh please tell me the achievement involves the word 'Abserd'
Also: drat it July, stop having 31 days. Be more like February.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Mad Wack posted:

and full uninstall the game after doing that

Oh what the HELL the game is going to take like the whole drat day to re-download.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So I haven't played the Beta for a year. I tried logging in to delete my saves but there were no saves to delete. I assume that they were incompatible with later patches. Do I have to dig into my files to delete whatever detritus is there or should I be fine.
Also: In that event how do I delete Cloud saves.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm probably going to roll a sorcerer because I really want to succeed at speech checks but don't want to go Paladin/Bard just to do so.
Just don't know if I'm repurposing Gale or making a new character.
OTOH: Dark Urge Paladin...

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Is that actually vital? My internet sucks rear end (hooray for fiber never coming here) and re-installing the game will take literally all day.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Mr. Baps posted:

You effectively have to reinstall it no matter what, enjoy.

:siren: You don't have to be a charisma-based class to "succeed at speech checks" :siren:

All you have to do is decide not to treat charisma as a dump stat.

For example, a rogue that decides to focus in that direction can be better at those skills than anyone but a similarly focused bard, even with a lower charisma stat.

A cleric with 14 charisma and proficiency in persuasion is only going to be rolling 2 or 3 lower than your theoretical sorcerer on a persuasion check.

:siren: You don't have to be a charisma-based class to "succeed at speech checks" :siren:

I am aware. But if I were to roll say, a wizard then I have to worry about Int AND charisma. Suboptimal. I could use those points in any other stat. (except strength really)
I'm not so much a min-maxer but I like when the tetraminos fall into place if you get my meaning.

Mr. Baps posted:

You effectively have to reinstall it no matter what, enjoy.

Ffffffuck.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It's fine. I usually run sorc over wizard anyway.
Actually wait. Are there any classes that arn't covered by an NPC?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Gejnor posted:

It is.

The patrons are:

The Archfey
The Fiend
The Great Old One

The Fiend?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It's been discussed before but the big problem with the companions is that there are 5 evil ones, 1 neutral one and 1 good one if we're talking in broad strokes. Even then they're charming enough..in a way (actually no Lae'Zael is the pits and I want to throw her into one).
I just get the feeling that Larian's head writers have binged It's Always Sunny as a group sometimes.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 2, 2023

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

ChickenHeart posted:

Finally, after all these years the community will finally have an official, WOTC-sanctioned answer to the question that has plagued DnD groups for decades:

"what that illithussy do"

Illithussy seeks a way to get the Illithid parasite out of them in an epic game called Baldur's Gate III.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hulk Smash! posted:

Nope. Anything you get before 11AM EST tomorrow is EA.

Not even a goddamn preload. Not even a midnight download.
Whelp, see you Friday BG III.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Son of Rodney posted:

I realized this in EA after visiting the camp after finishing a story milestone and being able to just straight up proposition the other party members :allears:

My first impression was that it was very much in the vein of a DnD round where players go "I proposition the barkeep" and the dm just makes up a brief but ultimately meaningless romantic encounter. which is fun and fits the general vibe I got from my relatively short time with it.

The game in general feels like a game of DnD in many ways, it's lovely.

I had a friend playing a lewd bardbarian in a game once. He decided to lewd on the entire audience once so I threw a D4 at him and told him to roll for his character's dick size in millimeters.
I also gave him a magical chainsaw.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Fighticus
Jim
John Cena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Perfect Potato posted:

It's not all that complicated

Wants to be divine, tries to soul suck the big Elf tree, gets slapped down by the Queen and she gives him a Maybe You Will Learn Your Lesson punishment that backfires horribly. After however many hundred years of being emotionally dead inside he settles on Bhaal essence as a substitute for his elfdom and uses that to make another attempt on the tree

The real twist is that he's not actually the Irenicus who shows up in your dream sequences; that's Bhaal or his essence speaking through Irenicus and Imoen.

What the heck was that woman's room that Irenicus had filled with traps in his lair all about?