Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

If they can expand on Pillars' AI scripts and 'pause when' systems I'll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Ohh okay, that sounds pretty neat, yeah. Thank you. I put D:OS2 on my wishlist after hearing that Larian was making BG3 but if it doesnt go on sale soon maybe I'll just buy it anyway because that sounds like fun.

It'll almost definitely go on sale during the steam Halloween event? Either way it's worth the full price!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Wtf is that and why did you feel we need to see it?

I assume it's graphics from the game?

Anyway apparently BG3 is coming to Stadia this year, so maybe it's releasing everywhere this year?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Crowetron posted:

Soulbound gear in PoE was really cool. I also liked the sidequest in Deadfire where I had to help my talking sword get over a bad break-up by killing things.

I haven't met anybody yet who didn't like the horny sword.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Doing the quest makes the sword poly so you don't have to keep using personally.

Yeah I used it on the watcher and then pivoted it to someone else.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I really don't like dialogue options that aren't exactly your response because every so often you'll pick one that seems reasonable and the character will come out with some wild poo poo that you didn't think that option meant.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

oswald ownenstein posted:

What are the odds that we'd ever see another Pillars game?

It was critically praised, in spite of the commercial failure. What does that mean in today's age?

It's a shame because I think a handful of tweaks

There was a lot I loved about both games, and very little I didn't care for - I don't think you'd have to iterate too much to get to something really great.

ropekid has said he wants to stop doing big-rear end RPGs for a while. Even without him, I think it'll take a couple of years before they try something else with the IP which is a shame because it's a really cool world.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

oswald ownenstein posted:

I don’t come here often bc y’all are a bunch of commies

If I knew Games was full of communists I'd actually post more.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I wonder why they decided to go for initiative roll and then each team gets a full turn for everyone before the other team all have a turn. DOS2 style alternating turns had drawbacks, and I can see how each character rolling initiative like actual 5e could get annoying. This just feels like the worst of both worlds?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Andrast posted:

idk, I actually like this choice. It seems like it would really well with DOS2 style combat.

Why this and not individual initiative? Feels like it would be more natural and inline with 5e.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Purportedly, it's to make it easier for the player (and possibly the monsters, though I dunno how smart the AI will be in that respect) to set up combos. Like:

Init 20
Wizard casts Grease, Orcs falls prone
Rogue gets Backstab on a prone Orc
Fighter gets advantage on sword attack on different prone Orc
Sorcerer uses Fire Bolt to set the Grease on fire, finishing off both wounded Orcs.
Init 15
Combat's over, all Orcs are dead

as opposed to

Init 20 - Sorcerer goes first in initiative, Fire Bolts an Orc
Init 15 - Orc #1 moves and attacks the Rogue
Init 14 - Rogue goes but can't Backstab because no one else in his party is adjacent to an Orc and no one's prone, Disengages and falls back instead because he's a 1st level Rogue and that hit took him down to 3hp.
Init 12 - Fighter attacks an Orc, misses without Advantage
Init 10 - Orc #2 attacks the Fighter
Init 8 - Wizard would have cast Grease, but now every one's all mixed up and it'd do more harm than good, and casts Magic Missile instead.

With Team Initiative, you can choose who goes when and make teamwork a lot easier, where-as with Individual Initiative, you're at the mercy of the dice and it's a lot harder to coordinate that kind of stuff.

Now it's certainly true that Individual Initiative is not only how DOS works, but also how D&D5E works as well, so this is definitely a change from what's come before. As for which is better? That's probably something we can't know until we're hours deep into the game and have some system mastery.

It'll be really annoying if the AI can do that on the non-hardest difficulties though, but I'm confident they can make that work. It's a good point.

cuntman.net posted:

because of co op probably

Also this.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Andrast posted:

Fortunately that doesn't really happen in OS2 either

Seriously, you are like the only person I have ever soon to bring that up as a big issue in OS2

It did have a problem where content was pretty railroady because of level gating, but I don't consider it a massive issue at all. Much worse was the itemisation issue and how combat was always the best option (preferably after doing the peaceful resolution) for more exp and loot.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

There's a crab who think it's a super powerful wizard or something on the first island. I'm not bothered by that stuff, but it definitely exists here and there.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

itry posted:

There's another crab in the last other island that confirms it :ssh:

Yeah I found her as well, but it's still essentially a joke. To be clear, I don't think the game is as jokey and non-serious as some people make it out to be, it's mostly played straight and serious, but there are moments. Another one is the dogs inside the dungeon on the first island - you can avoid that entire fight if you have a squeaky red ball for them.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

itry posted:

But that's what's great about the game. Depending on the DM, that approach would also work in tabletop.

Oh I definitely agree, I'm just baffled by all these people who go "no the game is super serious and dark most of the time" when you've got the Red Prince in the game. The game does get silly sometimes but it works really well.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Avalerion posted:

His introduction is to quiz you about your knitting skills to determine if you’d make a good slave.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Taear posted:

I'm going to say that I like the concept of early access. People play differently in EA than they do in a "beta" of a game. That said I'd have thought in the early access period for Divinity original sin 2 someone would have said "God drat this loot system is terrible isn't it?"

The loot system is only slightly annoying at early levels, and not bugfuck awful like it is at the end of the game

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Hi. This is me. I didn't play BG until I was out of college and was enormously underwhelmed in general and in other ways actively annoyed.

I tried it a few years ago for the first time and barely got a few hours into it. The whole thing was just painful and bad.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Given how Larian has added stuff to D:OS2 I'd be shocked if we didn't end up with every race and class archetype that exists in 5th edition eventually. Hell, if they add it as free updates like Divinity got for QoL fixes that'd be great, but I doubt i

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

kanonvandekempen posted:

Adding every race would mean a lot of extra animating work I think, i'd be surprised if that were to happen.

I think it's extremely likely that we get Xanathar's Guide to Everything DLC or something along those lines. Hell, that's already D&D's business model anyway.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Taear posted:

I thought Champions of Norrath was more like a LoL style game?

You're thinking of Heroes of Newerth?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

sebmojo posted:

'El' means angel so Raphel means "Ralph Angel" in modern words

'El' actually means 'God' in Hebrew and is attributed to angel names as meaning 'of god'. I don't know about raph, but Gabriel for example roughly translates into 'strength of god'

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Gypsy is not considered a slur everywhere and in the UK they refer to themselves as GRT - gypsy roma traveller afaik

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

e: nm

Miftan fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 20, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Catfishenfuego posted:

I live in the UK and do a lot of work in a Roma heavy community and you will get your teeth knocked out if you call them a gypsy. It's only in wider use in Britain than mainland Europe because it's literally enshrined in law as the nomenclature to refer to any travelling ethnic group, which is not generally considered a good thing or particularly endorsed by most roma/romani people or groups.

Fair enough, I take it back then.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The 5e intro adventure (Lost Mines of Phandelver) has a ton of cool loot in it, granted a bunch is in the final dungeon. Are the other adventures stingier?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Buller posted:

How are counterspells gonna work in turn based?

I think they mentioned you can set 'priorities' or something, maybe just an 'on/off' switch for reactions. This was specifically for attacks of opportunity, but I imagine counterspells will work the same way.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

ikanreed posted:

The general rule I've found for pen and paper working well is 3-6 players.

But in pen in paper if you're faced with a locked door and have no rogue, that instills creativity.

In a video game, the same situation just gives you no options

You're right I'm sure Larian will have absolutely no other options for opening locked doors and if you don't have a rogue you just can't proceed into the game. This is a smart thought that you had and will definitely be true.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Taear posted:

They're a pretty bad company that makes bad games so yea I feel like there's a good chance this will actually be the case.

I really remember a locked door at the start of the first Divinity that it took forever to break down, with loads of weapons smashing, because I didn't have lockpicking. It sucked.

So you got through it without lockpicking is what I'm hearing.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Harrow posted:

My guess is it's going to take its cues from 5th edition D&D, where a character can equip at most three "special" magic items. Items that are just like +1 longsword, +2 leather armor or whatever are unrestricted, but anything that has a unique on-use effect or proc or something has to be "attuned," and a character can only have three attuned items at once.

That said, if they do have attunement, that does mean there'll be magic items/relics/etc. that have impactful unique effects.

Have they said they'll have attunement in? That doesn't strike me as very video game-y and I'm not sure it'd translate well to be honest. Capping certain magical items without it and not others would be strange though so I wonder what they have in mind.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

itry posted:

I don't see why not :hmmyes:

Yeah... I hope there's an option to forgo that animation. I understand what they're going for, but it will become tedious.

That seems like a pretty basic option to have tbh, don't see why they wouldn't implement it if people ask in early access. It might already be an option.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Sickening posted:

I went over to the stream and saw that they were comparing toe ring options or something for character creation and I noped out. Did they say anything of any value?

That was a gameplay option. Release date for early access is September 30th (provisionally, but they're optimistic) and rangers fighters clerics and rogues are all confirmed classes for EA along with warlocks and wizards, I think?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

If you do play early access, will your save files transfer to the full game?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

I've come to realise that I kind of dislike the idea of the game rolling for skill checks for tasks and conversatons.

Now I know this is D&D and that's how it's done, but the reason that works on the tabletop is because it's a one time gamble which your GM can then spin into another interesting thread. Table-top does not have a save state you can just reload from and try the check again until you get the result you want to see. This is especially a consideration for me if I decide I want to do other playthroughs to see other options.

Now if failure states in the game can lead to similarly interesting things, or unconventional routes to your goal remains to be seen, but the game's going to have to do a drat good job with the fail states.

They've specifically said you're not expected to succeed all your rolls and they're trying to make the fail states interesting and cool so it's at least something they're aware of.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

They would need to get into "completely change the plot and ending" territory for skill checks to mean anything other than an alternative to violence.

Not really? It could heavily influence how you get to the ending, factions/faction ending, etc. They've straight up said for example that if you don't do an evil play through you'll miss a lot of stuff.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

If you can't Fire Emblem those kids into murder machines I ain't interested.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

I too make bad decisions and want to try a blade warlock.

When they say PHB clases. Do they mean literally only that, none of the later subclasses, I'm thinking Hexblade (It's in Xanathars GTE not main book) specifically here, are going to be included?

PHB for launch, I'd be pretty astounded if they don't add in the others later.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

vermeul posted:

Im really itching to play this. Might have to bite the bullet. Was a very big fan of Divinity.

I am not expecting full polish but is most of the campaign done or partially done ?

We don't know, but the early access is just Act 1. I think they said about 20 hours?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

this game... tihs game is clearly unfinished

It's almost as if it's at least a year away from release!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Woden posted:

I'd rather they just gently caress off and do their own adventuring if not in the party. Maybe you meet them later and maybe you don't, but having a camp with a heap of followers you never use is lame.

Larian have said at some point you'll need to make a permanent choice on your companions, so I don't think you'll be carting around a full camp of 10 companions all game.