Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

blizzardvizard posted:

I suspect they'll prevent you from long resting inside dungeons or some time-sensitive quests in future builds, it would make sense anyway. Otherwise the short rest mechanic would be completely pointless.

Short rest let’s you skip the cutscenes and losing screens and junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm really loving this game and I wish it was out already but for now I'm okay just seeing basically everything that Act 1 has to offer. Does EA only include, like, the first area? Basically like DOS2's island?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This stupid witch.

Once I got to the end of the witch's hovel which is cool and atmospheric and kinda unsettling for sure it all just glitched out and the witch is, I guess, disappeared forever without me killing her.

For a second I thought it was a whole story thing like "Wow this witch knows how to gently caress with me" but I don't think so.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have only now realized that firebolt is my best friend but it's likely not supposed to be as good as it is. I regularly hit dudes for 1-6 + 3 (floor) + 4 (burning) and it doesn't even get scaling or bonuses.

High elfs rule what up.

bagrada posted:

Ehh there's five companions and you can only have 3 at a time so I wouldn't sweat not having her. If she survives the prologue you do lose track of her in the crash and run into her again later, at which time she may or may not rejoin you depending on your choices..

Also I really don't like her. She's mean and abrasive all the time and nobody else in the party agrees with her poo poo. She also pulled a Boomer Karen on that one dude in town for some reason, just to power trip?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

D-Pad posted:

Did this happen after the talking door past the fireplace? If so it's a bug, if not you've got further to go.

Yeah I killed the dudes and got past the poison clouds and then no dialogue or anything with the girl or the witch which was lol.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It floats in the air and can pull levers and poo poo in rooms that have poo poo all over the floor.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think firebolt is loving useless without at least applying burning. Just like in DnD, where I thought it was supposed to be used for lighting things on fire like torches and poo poo and not for being a solid source of damage.

I think right now it’s 1d6+1d4+1d4, but only the 1d6 is an attack roll. However if you cast it again on a guy, they won’t get hit with the 2 secondary hits.

The really dumb one is shocking grasp, which does 1d8 and disables reactions which would be great but for the fact you can just jump wherever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Back Hack posted:

It's a range cantrip that does 1d10 at level 1, that's a lot protentional damage, but in the game I haven't used it in combat yet, what's this about it doing 1d6?

In BG3 it does 1d6. And the burning it inflicts as a status effect or whatever does (I think) 1d4 and walking on fire does 1d4 too (I think) which makes it do, effectively, 1d6+1d4+1d4.

In DnD it does 1d10 which is fine, and solid, damage I guess. Without the burning/surface fire, Firebolt in BG3 would be just 1d6 or 1d10 I guess. It's apparent they tried to balance it around the surface damage, but since the surface/burning is guaranteed it's just a solid, consistent way to gently caress a dude up. Especially goblins and low-HP dudes. Blood will put the flames out, which is an interesting thing to have to deal with.

I want that XCOM-style probability where they lie to you about the RNG because I miss on 96% hits constantly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Communist Thoughts posted:

you can already do that to check it out if you want

personally so far i feel like its a step down from DOS2 just cause 5th edition isnt a very good ruleset and nothing about it is better than larians own turn based system

I think the opposite I did not at all like the magic/physical armor system and, frankly, hated the setting.

DnD though? Mindflayers? Hell yeah

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Deltasquid posted:

PSA: if you're standing in fire, you can use the jump bonus action to get out of it without taking extra damage

You can jump to disregard pathing, disregard surfaces, disregard engagement. It’s almost worth stacking STR for it!

But no, DEX is king.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Torquemada posted:

is this the WotC guy?

poo poo despite it being Baldur’s Gate I figured it was all Larian and I realize WOTC got my money.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SnipeShow posted:

How do you stand up from prone? All 4 party members are lying in a grease trap for perpetuity...

If you're in the turn-based mode you need to hit end turn. If it's the grease trap in the crypts, that's the "tutorial" for turn-based mode that isn't in combat.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It shoved you into turn-based mode you need to end turn (space) or end turn-based mode (shift+space) in either event the whole place is gonna ignite and then you'll have a whole different problem to sort out!

Or, of course, it's bugged.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Torquemada posted:

Remind me why they’re bad? My wife plays D&D, and I just mentioned I’d heard they were problematic in some way (from this thread) but am unsure of the specifics.

(Not asking for a derail, just a few lines of clarification)

One of the more notoriously racist hiring processes, the aforementioned Mike Mearls thing, I forget if they had other sex pest problems but one sex pest brushed hand waved is too many.

Also 5E really alienated a lot of TT people, but they were gonna head off to ye ol’ pathfinder way eventually anyways.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah I actually really dig 5E which is why BG3 fuckin rules. It’s shockingly similar to rollin’ dice in 5E despite the surfaces and junk.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m cool with it if it was like a different tier of reward or something. Fail the first one you fight her. Fail the second one she doesn’t kill you but is rude or unhelpful or kicks you out. Fail the third one and she apologizes like nothing happened. Succeed at all of them and you get the poison twig as a weapon.

That way it’s not rolls to fail at its rolls to up the ante so to speak.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DancingShade posted:

Follow these rules in the spider cave:

1) Always have elevation. Ground floor is death.
2) The final boss room is a tutorial in disguise.

So how to kill the giant spider? Ideally you'll already have the "gently caress you spiders" magic spear assembled from a broken haft and a spear tip. Give that to your Gith lady friend. That's helpful but this is what I did:

1) Break the entire party into individuals, stealth everybody. Don't even think about touching the web bridges. The boss will investigate immediately and you'll be rumbled out of position.
2) You see that cave floor down below? Stealth everyone down there, one at a time, don't walk into the boss room directly. Note the "stairs" up both key platforms.
3) Solo Astarion and use him to break/kill every single phase spider egg whenever big mommy spider isn't looking. There are 3x clusters of 6. This stops any being hatched mid-fight.
4) Gather your melee people at the bottom of the "stairs" up the side of big mommy spider's platform. Hiding of course.
5) Keep Astarion on top of the middle platform behind that rock with his bow handy. I think you can see what the plan is.
6) When big mommy spider has just turned away and there is enough room to bring your melee crew up set the game to turn mode and send everyone up one at a time. Once everyone is in place open up with a sneak bow attack first then whatever afterwards.
7) Dancing lights cantrip on gith lady because she can't see in the dark
8) Hope you don't miss too much. Don't forget to use gith lady's bonus actions with the anti-spider spear immediately.
9) A warlock with that linked lightning you can just "use" every turn is also pretty helpful.
10) Shadowheart's inflict wounds does good too

Also I hope you saved just before initiating the fight in case your dice are bad. All the above takes a little while to set up.

My party was PC warlock, Shadowheart, Astarion and Laezal.

The spider starts with 137 health and takes 47 damage when you break the bridge while it's standing on top of them. The bridges have 4 health and you get a 100% chance to hit them. The boss is also hard-coded to spend 2 turns on the bridges before engaging you in melee. After you break the bridges, the boss has roughly 40 health and it's still pretty hard but if you got hot hands in the dice game it might take only one round to clear. The minions prove more troublesome if you don't have great AOE and great single-target burst. I hate phase spiders.

It's a tutorial in disguise but the tutorial is "don't forget gravity exists"

I ventured into the Underdark and immediately got merc'd. It was very dope and cool. Is the Underdark, like, completed? It's a full dungeon?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I tossed a lot of goblins off a lot of ledges and it never got old. I like the knockback/shove game more than the surface game in DOS2 for sure.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think they gave him bull-headed AI that just charges you without thinking so you can trick him onto the rafters and a thunderwave is juuuuuuust long enough to reach across the rafters from one to the other and knock him off.

As far as making the fight go off without a hitch "stealthily", just place some firewine and smokepowder barrels in the room (or drop them from the rafters like in Final Fantasy). One barrel of firewine does about 20 damage in the aoe radius when ignited. They even have a room nearby you can stealth into in the area that's full of them, just be sure to bring jump or misty step. Since inventories are exchanged magically you can have one dude in that room picking up barrels and another dude on the rafters dropping them.

jokes fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 11, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oh I don't think you could do that. You can kill a shocking amount of dudes stealthily though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Horizon Burning posted:

The Goblins confuse me a bit. Like, there's a part where you kill literal actual Goblin children and no one comments on it and it just made me start wondering if I'm supposed be embracing that idea of alignment and 'evil' species.

All goblins are children of the One True Gobd: Maglubiyet. Child goblins are simply later arrivals on this plane do not fret.

From the wiki, lol: Maglubiyet was served by Khurgorbaeyag, goblin god of slavery, oppression, and morale. Goblins are perfect starter punching bags but for their higher DEX scores causing a higher AC problem for new DnD groups/players. They're unrepentant assholes, really.

jokes fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 11, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They’re horrible little monsters that, really, are the perfect punching bag. Only with the most deferential interpretation can you start to form a position of “maybe they shouldn’t be smashed by a fourth level barbarian by the truckload”.

Speaking of, are they going to add all the other classes? They mention tons of classes by name in tool tips so I imagine they’ll add all of them by launch.

jokes fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 11, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There’s a diagram talking about spiders and elfs being merged so I sure hope we gently caress up some Driders at some point.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That’s fine I hate the Gith and Wyll is really lovely.

I made a warlock and I am infinitely more powerful somehow. I think it’s because GOO warlocks get the best damage spells. I mean, there’s basically no better AOE in BG3 than Shatter.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bardeh posted:

I spent multiple hours today trying to kill the spider boss. You need to take out all the eggs first. I did this with Astarion stealthing around and shooting them. After that, I spread everyone out and initiated combat. Once the matriarch goes to a web, damage it and she'll fall and lose around 1/3rd of her health. Repeat once more, then she'll enrage and go melee only. Then it's just a matter of burning her down before she murders you, and mopping up the other two smaller spiders.

As far as I can tell, it's almost completely pointless, though. She drops a robe that increases poison attack damage, but gives negligible xp and there's nothing in the cave that you can't grab via stealthing around.

It’s about having fun and slaying big bosses in big setpieces is fun, and you were likely already 4th level going in, when XP becomes completely unnecessary. Going into a spider’s lair to kill a giant spider is as DnD as it gets, other than slaying a bunch of goblins led by a hobgoblin/cult/wizard.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hard to say in its current form. Might just be like “get to this place” and there’s a billion meandering paths to that point. With any luck they don’t pigeonhole you into doing anything specific at the end where you pick between “destroy the mindflayers or become the mindflayers” or whatever and that’s it.

I hope they resolve the tadpole problem early and then there’s no definite ending from there and there’s just like 6 stories/modules to resolve without a “main story” to tie everything up.

jokes fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 12, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The abilities all have mentions of all the normal classes: barbarian, Druid, Paladin, etc.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A longsword+1 would be green in BG3.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I figured it'd be "pick a person to talk on behalf of the party, they get their score plus (some math that lets companions help). Maybe it's adding in the group's average modifier? 1/2 of the highest modifier?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

doingitwrong posted:

There will never be peace between "I want my choices and stats/skills to matter" and "I don't want to be locked out of content".

It's one of the reasons I think ironman is going to be a spicy and cool game mode, if they ever enable it (with the hopes there's no bugs). It becomes less about doing what's right or what's gonna be the most self-serving and more about "what is going to help me not die". Usually dialogue checks become a chance to get away from a dangerous situation or are opportunities to balance risk with reward.

Skill checks that are random can be very cool but they're often not in the current game.

Like, my favorite skill checks were the ones with obvious risks and obvious rewards that were tangential to the progress. In a campaign a friend as DM made it to where I needed to pass a persuasion check to determine if I could persuade a guy to give us his sword for helping him. The guy was already going to give me a reward, and it was framed that I could forego that reward for the sword that was worth 2x the reward. I needed to roll a 11 or higher to make it, with a +2 persuasion modifier. The idea is that if it's a 50% chance to succeed without modifiers, the reward should be 2x the risk. And that's a cool and hot gamble, baby, and it makes my modifier way more valuable since it's making it to where I have a >50% chance to succeed, so I SHOULD take that bet. But I'd be foregoing the reward.

BG3 sets it up where, basically, you can't really be a good guy (or bad guy I guess) without passing skill checks-- you can try but good luck. When you stand in front of the crossbow in town, if you gently caress it up you HAVE to kill them. So you're risking whether or not you're a good guy for the reward of being a good guy. That's a kinda hosed up situation, even if it's typical for combat-based RPGs. Ideally, you would have, instead, tried to persuade them to put the crossbow down but a failed dice roll means they shoot you instead and you lose out on some reward opportunity, but you still did the right thing. A critical failure starting combat, gently caress yeah that totally makes sense. It also comes off as your attempt at saving a life is what caused further loss of life, which is definitely a critical failure, not "failed to roll above 14"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The other one I hate is the Arabella thing. If you don't have a high nature roll, the kid dies. I understand that if you're unable to save her she dies no matter what, but that's not apparent until your next run(s) because any other time I fail a roll I end up having to kill everyone so I thought I killed that kid by rolling the dice. Failing a dice roll by a little bit should be a middle ground between abject failure and success.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Suppose I'm just frustrated at how swallow everything is, plus the game feeling rushed for a EA drop.

I mean... it's early access and is at least a year from release so.. lol?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Eddain posted:

I kinda want to see an NPC completely change classes after their sidequest, like in NWN2 where your Dwarf buddy wants to become a Monk and you can actually help him become one. Too bad he was absolutely worse as a Monk because he could no longer use that ridiculously broken Dwarven warhammer and his stats were really bad for that class.

I could see Wyll becoming a fighter/rogue or something because he hates his patron demon so much. That or, ya know, embracing the dark side.

gently caress man. Great Old One Warlock is the best for "Do Damage With Spells". Almost regret stacking DEX but I think DEX affects eldritch blast's accuracy??

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Enjoying BG3 made me give Pathfinder: Kingmaker a go and it is not anywhere as good as this Early Access game which says a lot about Larian (or, maybe, Pathfinder: Kingmaker).

Pillars of Eternity though, hoo boy that's a good one. It falls into a trap for me though where everything is a solvable (and solved) puzzle of sorts, so I get everything and do everything and it becomes a very, very linear game.

At least the combat is cool. Though, again, it's all been solved before so I know what to expect.

I need a randomizer or something. That's why I'm hoping they revamp but not get rid of the dice system so that it introduces some entropy for me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kingmaker is grognardy in a not-very-fun way. I'm gonna play it because BG3 whet my appetite for CRPGs but its largely under protest.

Also, holy gently caress are the animations and graphics bad. I have a weapon in one hand and my character just holds their other fist up in the air like they're holding a lantern (but there's no lantern).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Eldritch Blast that gets the CHA modifier as damage is such great consistent damage source, it’s hard to grab the knock back. But then you see dudes shooting arrows from rafters, towers, and you soon learn you made a mistake.

It’s also just a really cool spell effect.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Eldritch knight is cool and good but the menacing/pushing attacks from martial master are so loving useful. Chop Razlin with a big rear end greataxe so hard he gets knocked off the rafters into a spider pit is very very cool.yeah you can thunder wave or shove but it’s not as impactful.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think BG3 is only DEX because Wyll has been unlocking all my poo poo on my beef boi fighter.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A sword wizard of the school of sword-mancy huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The graphical bugs are egregious but, given the state, tolerable. I think the nature of the bugs bode well for launch. The graphics and cinematic are in the skeletal stage and with refinement will be beautiful-beautiful. Some tweaks to dialogue checks, the ability to hide my helmet, maybe a respec option (or class choice for companions like in DOS2) would be very welcome.