Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Xae posted:

Ao is the only deity competing with Mystra for the title of most incompetent deity.

At least he manages to not die all the loving time. Older elves are on their third Mystra now. Some dragons or undead poo poo are on their fourth.

Lmao did she die again. The only one that had a had an excuse was the one kill by the Folly during the Netheril era honestly

Why did this one die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

The primal force of magic needs to reconsider its policy of incorporating as someone who’s kind of ditzy with a very poor self-preservation instinct.

Seems like like a bad policy but maybe there's a greater plan

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Ah they brought back midnight after getting killed off by the spellplague didn't know that. Also I must have miscounted because I though another one died

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

Realistically at a table in the 21st century, this means the Harpers are the fungible yet mysterious and unattainable everyman's faction reigning in the scenery-chewing chaotic evil heels, as well as the overzealous lawful/chaotic "good" headbreakers. BG plays them more as Stupid Neutral as was characteristic of 2e, at least partially to make Jaheira's separation from them feel more natural, as well as to give them a justification for not snuffing the spawn of a Demon like a candle IMMEDIATELY which, lets be real: would have been the smart thing to do, if you didn't know there was a Baldur's Gate series that baby was going to be the PC of, and even then they technically have the option to go really bad.

In the old FR books (back in the 3E days) the harpers were pretty competent bastards overall and did not gently caress around mostly. Ex harpers were shown to be pretty drat strong too.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

That was my reaction. The series actually introduced drow characters with personalities other than "religious zealot" and "frothing murderer", friendships of a sort, a sympathetic female protagonist and a decent romance. I even enjoyed the end due to what happens to the main characters, but a lot if the in-between bits really dragged.

The Lady Penitent trilogy sadly seemed to exemplify the worst parts of the War of the Spider Queen series too. The Drow characters were uninspired overall.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

Eh, I kind of liked the one male mage chap... he went from the typical drow ruthless self interest (if without the blood lust) to "motivated by knowledge" onto "genuinely caring about people's well being" and in the end ended up changing the face of not only the elves of Toril but also the cosmos. It wasn't spectacular, but putting aside the idea of one caster having that kind of power it was a solid character arc ending in redemption and a happy ending. The one part where he utterly punks a bloodthirsty drow assassin sent to whack him also made me laugh out loud.

The best part was indeed about the mage and his storyline general. The whole Vhareun cleric gambit was fun, the part where the mage visits the Drow mage city was cool and other stuff but everything else suffered

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Fane is a wonderful character

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Andrast posted:

Forgotten realms is boring as hell and I wouldn't miss it if I never heard anything about it ever again

I kinda wanted a setting based on the Netheril and their floating upside down mountain cities but I think the Shadovar has been killed out of the setting now? A shame since i liked their faction

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Arivia posted:

Shade got crashed into Myth Drannor as part of the lead up to 5e, yep.

For fucks sake the last I recall of that place was the Elves Returned to it as a way to going against the status quo. And now its gone again?

FR plot really has become quite boringly bad huh. I guess just should be glad I dropped out of reading the books and the setting after the timeskip if they kept on killing the interesting factions and developments

boredsatellite fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 27, 2020

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Man I really can't wait to get my hands on this.

It is actually reigniting some forgotten corner of my brain that used to care about FR

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I'm checking out the Baldur's Gate subreddit and they are having a meltdown.

People are pissed that they picked a Sharran cleric because the woman didn't act like one and are now claiming Lauren are just picking bits from the lore without any consideration

Its a loving 40 minute demo. I'd be ashamed if a Sharran cleric blurted out litanies praising shar and was casting shadow magic immediately instead of going undercover

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Indeed. Feeling super excited about a game in a way I haven't been in a while

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ0LJ5BqYrk&t=796s

Despite the demo not showing it off, seems like Drow is a possible choice when picking your character

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I didnt recall seeing drow. I just remember seeing half elf and half drow

Will have to check later

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Mirthless posted:

Deliberatley not using isometric mode in the gameplay reveal while still talking about how they implemented it is a pretty good example of what I'm talking about

"Yeah we threw you depraved lunatics a bone by making this kind of like the game you liked but we wont showcase the game this way because youre luddites"

Its a cash grab and thats fine but they didn't like Baldur's Gate and that seems obvious

Get back to posting on the Baldur's Gate subreddit cause you'll fit right in

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

i think if pillars of eternity 2 sold well wotc might have considered them but seeing the success of that game (or lack thereof) compared to divinity original sin 2 its obvious why Larian got the game

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Yes this. Sven has been trying to get the greenlight for a BG3 for literally years.

No don't you see he doesn't care about the game and has no respect for it

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Caidin posted:

Why where those red dragons working for the Githyenki anyway, isn't being somebody else's gunship generally beneath them?

Unless my memory has faded on this there's a nice little pact between the Githyanki race and Tiamat. Gith as a race are nothing to sneeze at and Tiamat enjoys having them on a call basis and Githyanki raiders get to ride red dragons. Win win for both of them really

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Aren't Gith and Githyanki different races? I remember there being some sort of schism along the neutral axis

Yeah Gith are the precursor(?) race that split into Githyanki and Githzerai due to political/philosophical differences. Shorted the name without really thinking there my bad

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I think people really didn't think over the implications of Larian doing this game until now and it resulted in everyone being mad

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

frajaq posted:

I think a lot of people expected the game to be similar to D:OS 2 and playing to Larian's strenghts (turn-based combat/environment manipulation), but not THAT similar that pretty much could be D:OS 3. I half laughed when I could recognize some random icons in that gameplay reveal which were pretty much brought from D:OS 2

I mean everything in that is a work in progress. It was janky with lot of problems still. I expect icons and stuff to change overall

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

oswald ownenstein posted:

Hell Josh Sawyer bent over backwards trying to keep PoE feeling like the spiritual predecessors

So how is PoE doing these days?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

Deadfire is still one of the best games of the last couple of years, so alright, I guess.

But it didn't sell which is pretty indicative of why they might not bother with that combat system

itry posted:

I actually really enjoyed PoE 1 at the time. But I don't see myself replaying it anytime soon. Or at all.

I wish Tyranny was better recieved. I liked it more than either PoE and I think it has a lot of potential.

I really really wanted to like Tyranny. The worldbuilding and the characters seemed fun. But it just lost me narratively and I wasn't invested in it at one point and so I dropped it

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

So Sven actually tweeted out that bg 1/2 were just trying to create 2e, which is true, so bg3 is just trying to create 5e

Which explains why the game doesn’t resemble a Baldur’s gate game at all - it’s literally dos:5e and that’s by design

I mean yes? Everyone knew it was going to be 5e game. Wotc doesn't allow games with made with previous editions

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Megazver posted:

And, like, why would they possibly.

Seriously its a game meant to advertise 5e at heart

I'm so confused why these really simple stuff is going over their heads

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah man all these morons who thought bg3 would be a Baldur’s gate game instead of a dos 5e mod :smug:

If you thought the game wouldn't be in 5E you deluded yourself massively

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

All the punishment Braccus Rex inflected on the people are incredibly hosed up honestly. Super petty in many ways but the result is super dark

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I think its perfectly normal to assume the game designed by a different studio who said that they were making a game in 5e would have a different game than its predecessor

Anyone assuming otherwise were pretty deluded

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Amethyst posted:

They aren't deluded at all, though. They are mistaken. It's pretty simple and I have no idea why you are so eager to pretend otherwise.

E: Especially when pillars of eternity came out and is was both tonally tonally consistent with IE games and shared a similar philosophy in it's mechanics.

The fact the game is set in 5e means it cannot share a similar philosophy and mechanics. Thats the first thing people should have realized. Next is the fact that narratively its not a direct sequel cause the change in editions comes with a hefty timeskip.

One can have complains about the UI and visuals but they are in alpha. The rest i mentioned above is something people have no excuses for

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

You can see the final fantasy inspiration with the god awful Astarion

... Final Fantasy?

I just took it as a generic fantastical elf name cause god the names some of the Elves have in FR are pretty lol in general

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

No seriously I don't get this bizarre criticism of the name

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/elven_names.htm

Look at this poo poo. Elf names has always been dorky as poo poo

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

But no it's the weeb bait design of the char himself that offends my pretentious senses

That's your argument? Reallllly?

Arivia posted:

Elf names in the Realms are like this: (Male) Aravilar, Faelar, Mourn, Nym, Orlpar, Saevel, Respen, Rhistel, Taeghen; (Female) Amra, Hacathra, Imizael, Jastra, Jhaumrithe, Quamara, Talindra, Vestele; (Family Name) Amalith, Braegen, Calaudra, Eveningfall, Laelithar, Moondown, Tarnruth.

There's a particular sense of unity and style to them, that Asterion definitely does not fit.

Hmm I kinda can see it in the link posted above but also it's not like there aren't names that don't end with -rion so I dunno

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Caidin posted:

The only thing that genuinely bothers me about Asterion is that somehow shoving a mindflayer tadpole into his skull made him sunlight resistant.

The devs did mention that these tadpoles are "special" so we'll have to see what they are like overall and what effect they have on the characters

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I really cannot look away from this thread tbh. So much amazing things come out from this

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Konec Hry posted:

I can't decide what I enjoy the most - the criticism based on insanely detailed specifics, or no specifics at all. It's a very good thread!

It's an all you can eat buffet of grognardism

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Andrast posted:

Thread keeps on delivering

Bless this thread

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Again you have poorly explained why you think the name is unelvish other than your feelings with nothing substantial to back it up

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah but you are never fully prepared to how bad it can get despite steeling yourself for it

Gronards are a different breed of people

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Arivia posted:

this is bullshit, the guy isn't even trying, he's just disavowing doing the work at all

HEY SWEN THE REALMS IS FUN AND INTERESTING, MAKES SENSE, AND HAS A REALITY TO IT. DO YOUR loving HOMEWORK YOU DIPSHIT.

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Nice no random loot is good