Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Being real time with pause is basically the only thing that could kill my interest in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Avalerion posted:

Could mean it's an action game.

Yeah known action game developer Larian

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DoubleDonut posted:

I don't have strong opinions on real time with pause but honestly I just end up pausing so much that it may as well be turn-based, but I can hit spacebar to just make everyone auto-attack quickly

I assumed "directly follows" means that it is using the module, not that it takes place after the module

Descent is about demons while this appears to be about mind flayers so I've been assuming "directly follows" means it happens right after

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Zore posted:

You know like most of their games outside of Original Sin 1 and 2 are wildly different genres right? Dragon Commander was an RTS, Divinity 2 was a Skyrim style 3rd person RPG, Divinity the original was a Diablo knock off etc.

I actually didn't and now I feel like a huge idiot

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ubachung posted:

I know nothing about this. At the risk of opening a can of worms, could you elaborate?

it dared to have a trans character, an affront to the kind of obnoxious shithead you'd find hanging out at RPG Codex

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
tbf I don't know what else you call a CRPG set in and around the city of Baldur's Gate that will likely in some capacity feature a couple of characters from previous games entitled Baldur's Gate

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
No one was ever going to make a big budget Infinity Engine game in the year of our lord 2020, and WOTC has more interest in name recognition than chaining Larian to having to tell a story related to BG 1/2

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Arivia posted:

what the absolute gently caress is that

nothing in the FR looks like that

maybe, maybe a gold elf gone to ground real hard with the Eldreth Veluuthra? But I highly doubt elven KKK member is a playable option in this game

p. sure that's a gith

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah gith have had a pretty standardized look ever since 3e

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I probably would have liked Mask of the Betrayer when it came out but instead I only just played it last year when I was already sick and tired of games trying to capture that tone and style so I spent more time rolling my eyes than anything.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I rather have something fun that takes a while then what I feel in every RTWP which is that I'm babysitting a bunch of idiots who are just going to stand there and let a gargoyle eat their face off unless I constantly stop the game and watch everything they're doing

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

that was never the case even in baldurs gate 2, i think youre misrepresenting the genre sir!!!

click fighter point at enemy, click other melee point at enemy. they will continue to mash face until you tell them otherwise

did you know theres an entire genre of games like rts and mobas that involve micromanaging units in real time (without the ability to pause!) its pretty crazy. stay away fromt hose haha

I'm not representing anything other than how I feel about the games. (and also not a sir)

also what's with the weird condescension

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

boredsatellite posted:

i think if pillars of eternity 2 sold well wotc might have considered them but seeing the success of that game (or lack thereof) compared to divinity original sin 2 its obvious why Larian got the game

If I remember right the story is that Larian shot WOTC a proposal for Baldur's Gate 3 and didn't hear anything back.

Then after OS2 blew up they suddenly got a call from WOTC along the lines of "so uh hey you guys still wanna do BG3?"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I loving love these portraits

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The thing I'm most torn on is that fifteen playable races means we're going to get some weird poo poo, but I have a serious problem where I'm compelled to play the race with the most unique dialogue. It's why I played an aumaua in PoE 2 and an Undead Lizardman in D:OS2

I imagine with the angle they're going for with BG3 that the race with the most dialogue is going to be the githyanki and maaaan I don't really like the gith

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
At least according to the FR wiki the last time Yartar had a proper census was 100 years ago in-setting

I'd be willing to bet it's that big nowadays especially since its hat has been "bustling and expanding trade city" for that whole time

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Imagine when Michelangelo made the statue of david, many years later the rights-holder having passed on to his family, and then some capitalist pays for the rights to make another one but out of iron and wood and it doesn't look that good but it had gear mechanisms that let it change poses and kick a soccer ball.

Is that supposed to not sound awesome?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Freakazoid_ posted:

It does sound awesome but it's intention was to facilitate capitalism.

I mean, same with the original David.

Michelangelo was an artist and likely viewed the project from an artistic standpoint first and foremost but the city of Florence wasn't paying him for a sick-rear end David statue for no reason.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Starks posted:

Does anyone actually like how Larian does dialogue. It’s mind boggling to me.

I don't know if I'd say I like it but it doesn't bother me one way or another.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Zane posted:

he flipped out at some of the owners/managers at obsidian shortly after the release of poe1 and did some probably intemperate ranting to that effect on rpgcodex.net. that was 3 or 4 years ago now.

It was like last year dude

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Fair, but it's still way too recent for me to not side-eye a dude who posted a big thread on the same forum where you get people talking about their Infinity Engine game ideas where you gas the Jews or whatever other awful poo poo you see on RPG Codex without blinking an eye or stopping to think "Hm, maybe this is not the forum I should be airing my grievances to"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Deadfire has an event where you can fail in performing a magic trick to impress some peaceful not-kobolds so spectacularly that they are driven to violence

One of the first dialogue options in the game is silently flipping off a pirate

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

WarpDogs posted:

Avellone definitely comes across as up his own rear end in interviews, but the fact he always gives the PC the option to tell his characters to gently caress off is a huge point in his favor.

Usually when a writer makes a 'negative' character - whether they're broken, an rear end in a top hat, arrogant, whatever - they exist only to be a punchline or so that they can be redeemed in their personal quest.

Durance is pretentious and a tryhard philosopher, but like... you can say those exact things to him. You can choose to deny him his redemption. More than that, you can mock him, tell him he's full of poo poo, and ultimately own him so bad that he screams in anguish at his failed life and the game ends with him setting himself on fire out of despair

Maybe I'll be mocked for this myself, but I think that's a brave thing to do as a writer. For all his faults, he certainly understands the importance of player agency

On one hand, agreed. On the other hand, I don't want to tell him off, I just want the only loving healer you get in PoE1 to not be an rear end in a top hat so I can hang out with a character I actually like.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

cuntman.net posted:

for some reason i thought dragonborn monk would be more popular

Dragonborn are bad at being monks

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Caidin posted:

I think Dragonborn are neat but between how poo poo the breath weapon is and the decent possibility your DM will never actually have an enemy that does your resisted damage type and you may well not actually have any racial traits.

they don't even get loving darkvision!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Avalerion posted:

Curious, 5th ed got tieflings but no asimaar?

That one i’m sure is in. They already got the assets from dos2 lizards.

D&D Dragonborn have a vastly different build than DOS2 lizardpeople so I don't know if that holds up

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"weeb bait"

really

really

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Japan invented white-haired pretty elf men I guess

nobody tell the last 40+ years of high fantasy fiction

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

cuntman.net posted:

im starting to wonder if you know what stapstick is. im starting to wonder if i know what slapstick is

slapstick is whatever comedy you don't like

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cythereal posted:

BG2 as well. This is why only Anomen was made a romance option for female PCs, and Valygar and Haer'dalis were cut for time. The Baldur's Gate series was very much expected to be a niche game appealing to a small but devoted audience, and women were almost entirely discounted as a market for the games.

Bioware really was not expecting the series to do as well as it did, or to have such a strong female fanbase.

which is a bummer because gently caress anomen

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think it'd be one thing to call out Astarion as being lore inappropriate if the dude was named, like, Bob or something or if FR elves had a really clear strict naming scheme (like a lot of the races in FFXIV) but Astarion really does not feel that off from what we already have.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

oswald ownenstein posted:

Were your sensibilities offended?

Oh, you just loving suck. Good to know.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fruits of the sea posted:

BG2 is arguably the game new players should try if only because the plot moves at less glacial pace and the team had gotten a lot better at designing dungeons and quests. Except that's throwing folks into the deep end with shielded mages and level-draining vampires when they haven't yet gotten comfortable with the basic game mechanics.

As someone who recently tried to play both BG 1 and 2, this is the problem I had. BG 1 is dead simple but is also a boring slog unless you're just really into CRPG wilderness exploring. BG 2 is obviously the better game with a strong narrative from the start, but also requires you to be a loving AD&D mastermind to get any use out of the giant stack of spells and abilities just dumped onto your lap.

My response to both of these was to just go read an LP.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Min-maxing in DOS2 isn't necessary but in games where there's a lot of optimization points you're going to find people pushing you towards that like it's the most important thing in the world

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
In this case "greater power" seems to be the power to not turn into a horrible squid man

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The comedy relief characters in BG1 wouldn't be so bad if any of them were funny

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

gasman posted:

C'mon, Montaron and Xzar's voiced banter was funny for a 1998 video game. :colbert:

Hard disagree. Maybe it's because I didn't play BG1 until fairly recently but all I ever wanted was for Xzar to shut up and never speak again. Montaron gets points for being an evil halfling which I guess was a new idea at the time (and still one you don't see a lot) but Xzar's schtick is just shrill and annoying.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

have you tried just playing bg2 and not 1
the point of bg is how hard you can cheese it, dos doesnt even come close lol

Why would you care about cheesing BG's combat if you don't like touching BG's combat at all

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I would not call any dungeon in any BG game "objectively a good dungeon" since it took until PoE2 for someone working in this genre to realize dungeons do not need to be hours long slogs through trash mobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
baldur's late is pretty loving good