Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Not trying to mimic the Infinity Engine is the main reason I'm hopeful about the game. I liked the BG trilogy 20 years ago, but like Swen said, I want to see the work Larian's done in the genre applied to the setting instead of mindlessly emulating the best of the 90's. There are already companies doing that, and while they might have been a better fit for this license than Larian, I still want Larian to have freedom to do their own thing regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

A glance at the GOG page for the game reveals some bad news for you:

That's unfortunate, and seems like a big mistake after Obsidian went to the trouble of patching in a turn based mode for POE2.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Now that Larian is doing BG3, Beamdog should remaster Divine Divinity.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Avalerion posted:

I know this is a huge nitpick

It is, but as a lawyer I think WotC should sue them for breach of contract since the very serious negotiation video where Swen captured someone in an iron flask is legally binding.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Comstar posted:

Also, the wrote the script in one weekend!???

I imagine he meant more of an outline than a full script--more involved stuff like dialogue obviously wouldn't be done in a weekend.

I have to say I think Swen is one of the more effective hype men in games because his passion for the games they make really comes through every time.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

Also this dude is no better or worse a hype man than Pete Hines or whoever the Bethesda guy is

Swen just doesn't ping my bullshit detector like a lot of other guys, and I think the fact that Larian's still a relatively small indie studio helps with that--he only works on games that are passion projects, so he hasn't had to walk on stage and talk about something he doesn't believe in yet. Plus while he's obviously excited about the games, I think he's managed to avoid the Peter Molyneux problem of dramatically overpromising and failing to deliver. Not everyone likes the games they make, but I think they manage to be what they're supposed to be pretty well.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Phenotype posted:

News: Hey there's going to be a new Baldur's Gate game made by a developer known for creating two well-regarded open-world RPGs in the style of Baldur's Gate!

Goons: Ugh, that sounds terrible.

What thread are you reading?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I bought DD when it first came out, and didn't get all that far, but have gone back and forth about giving it another shot over the years. I installed it again a couple years ago, and yeah like you said it's aged really badly and I didn't even make it out of the first town before I said gently caress it. Beyond Divinity had pretty mixed reviews even when it came out, so imo skipping straight to either 2 or DOS makes the most sense, and given that the original games are set in the distant future of DOS, and Larian clearly hasn't been in a hurry to make an actual sequel, they aren't essential for background or anything anyway.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

PS:T is fine. The original Fallouts were clunky and slow even by the standards of their time. Arcanum is a buggy mess where you have to do unspeakable things to your computer just to get it to work properly, especially in 2020.

All three are interesting and worthwhile games, although I'll admit I've never had the patience to finish either of the Fallouts.

To this day everyone who recommends Torment says 'okay the gameplay sucks but really it's worth it I swear.'

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Would checking against your stat instead of using your stat as a modifier for a roll be something that could probably be modded in?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I haven't played any of the early access since I wanted to wait for release, so how does the writing compare to games like Pillars of Eternity, DOS2 or the Pathfinder games? It seems like this is going to be the biggest release in the genre in a very long time, so it'll be kind of a bummer if the writing chops just aren't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Modern Bioware getting BG3 would have been a disaster, sad but the truth is a bitter pill sometimes.

Yeah there's no reason to think of today's Bioware as having really anything to do with the version that made Baldur's Gate at this point. Even if they turn things around and the next Mass Effect and Dragon Age games are good, it's a totally different company now, and Larian has more recent applicable experience.