Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zzulu posted:

I never played Balldurs gate

What's so good about it?

you could kiss an elf in the sequel

actually you could kiss two and a HALF elves, and also an incel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
One thing I really liked about BG2 was that it was usually pretty obvious how weapons stacked up to one another in terms of power level

like OK, this sword is +4 so it's better than this one that's +2, but the +2 one has bonuses vs. undead and can protect from evil, so it's obvious when to switch and when you're safe to sell one to Ribald

meanwhile ones in dragon age have like ... +20.8 armor penetration and a bunch of other incremental numbers

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

Also it's one of those games where people have written absolute tomes on how to abuse it.
As opposed to a lot of games that feel in control of how powerful you are at any given point in the game.
Now of course some people call this 'good game balance' and they totally correct.
But good game balance is for competitive multiplayer games; single player? lemme take the chains off and wreck poo poo.

BG2 (and I love it for this) let you pick up a shield that lets one (1) character run through an entire dungeon of beholders while reflecting all their spells back at them. this includes the insanely huge Unseeing Eye beholder that serves as the dungeon's boss

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Was there ever a name for the genre of tactics game where you queued up a series of orders for each unit then hit a button and watched them play out? One of those ill-fated Jagged Alliance sequels/reboots used it iirc

Watch BG3 use that style for maximum chaos

fuckin Battle Bugs did this, that game ruled

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

frajaq posted:

SLAP IN THE FACE

why do gamers post like they're taking a stand against like an oppressive invading empire

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

FairGame posted:

Keldorn dies in battle in the epilogue and then goes to chill with Helm as...whatever you become in D&D lore when a god is like "hey, come chill with me; you're good and that dispel is handy."

Viconia dies I think no matter what.

Viconia lives if you don't romance her but dies if you do

Keldorn was with Torm, I think, regardless of what happens. That always felt like a p. good end for an old paladin

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

BG means a lot of things to a lot of different people but to me it’s mostly associated with the pacing and tonal balance of BG2, the former in particular being something that’s extremely underrated and also extremely out of vogue.

I’m not excited mainly because no one, save Harebrained Schemes, makes area focused hub-and-spoke games like BG2 anymore, open worlds are both rewarded in the marketplace and fetishized by grogs / spergs. D:OS2 was a big sprawl of Diablo 2-style countryside and it was just a never ending loving slog. Even in the looser Baldur’s Gate 1, BioWare level design (which is quest design, which is game design) was focused typically around an area landmark, with things to see and fight that you would clear and move to the next area landmark.

You spent an hour or two in any given dungeon area, new things constantly cycling in and keeping things fresh, very rarely letting anything get old. That was the defining shape of BG to me. Given what’s been said already I don’t expect to see it again.

I'd really love for this to make a comeback, because I'll take a focused, bespoke dungeon over open-world any day

like the Mass Effect series was at its best when it had a cycle of "go do this 30-45 minute-long mission, then chat with your crew/upgrade/go to the next one for 45-60 minutes, repeat." the only parts of Andromeda that were even close to worth a drat were the loyalty missions which actually forced the devs to come up with interesting set-pieces. DAO had a similar cycle with a bit more exploring and it worked really well.

Basically I want BGIII to have a camp or castle or something where you come back to between missions and talk with your party about their feelings

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Crowetron posted:

The placement of potential party members in BG1 was pretty weird anyway. It makes sense to assume most players just stuck with the goobers hanging out on the beaten path, since there were tons of dudes just lurking in the corners of the multitude of forest maps or waiting for the PC to pick them up in the final act. And the harder to find party members weren't any better mechanically than the more obvious ones, so the only incentive to bring them along was maybe liking their brief intro dialogue.

Why would I want to tag in a brand new thief once I get to Baldur's Gate itself when I've had Imoen tagging along from jumpstreet and built up in exactly the way I want her?

I always wondered if the assumption was that you wouldn't get through the entire game without some of your party permadying, so they stuck replacements everywhere

of course most people just reload if that's the case but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Larian is going to ruin it (long post)

Lord grant me the confidence of the stupidest gamer

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Conot posted:

Also I think it's a bit premature to call something "not dnd" based on one vague statement about modifying the rules in certain cases to some extent

No I know everything about this game and am already disappointed. this is a slap in the face. please sign this petition to remake Baldurs Gate III

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I know this game is in early access but it sure seems to be a chore to play!

some good potential in it though. it just seems to fight you a lot

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

How so? Are you new to Larian games?

I've found it to be pretty straightforward. Some of the fights are tough and force you to do some serious planning and preparation but that's fine imo.

I haven't run into major bugs or jank.

The only minor annoyance I have with the UI is that when you are casting a self-only ability, you have to click, then hover over yourself to target, then click again to activate. Which is a little fiddly since it's, y'know, self only. Oh and battles against large groups of enemies are slow.

oh not in terms of difficulty at all. the fights make sense. I'm just thinking like "ok, I have to jump across this gap, so I have to select everyone to jump across it individually, oh wait one of them doesn't have quite enough room so I gotta fiddle with that. oh it didn't register my click on one of their portraits, let me do it again."

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

inthesto posted:

I had to put this game back on the shelf after some more problems. On the technical side, there was stuff like the game telling me I'm out of range for an attack when I'm very obviously not. On the design side though, I got fed up when you find another one of the mind flayer slugs and you have to pass two separate ability checks to stomp it. On top of my general RPG no-no of "don't force the player to pass two checks to do one thing" (because it just means more chances for the player to fail), the entire party disapproved if I failed either check.

Again, in a tabletop game I might be willing to give that a pass because there's a chance the GM could turn that throwaway encounter into a plot hook down the line, and I can also just talk to the GM between sessions and say "here's why you don't do this". In a video game though, that's most likely just a one-off middle finger to the player, and I can't exactly talk directly to the devs and tell them why this is bad encounter design.

honestly for every cool moment in this game there are hours and hours of Chores and not all of them seem like early access things

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

inthesto posted:

Speaking of, why is Larian staying with the choice of having a million containers in every room with 99% of them empty? It was an annoying time waster in DOS2, and it's annoying here too. Just leave the ornaments there and make them non-interactable, jesus.

oh also, is there a button to highlight everything you can interact with? alt highlights SOME things and I do not like it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

change my name posted:

Alt highlights stuff on the ground (consumables and bodies) but not containers... but pretty much everything is a container. I was maybe going to try to stream an evil run of the game after I finished the EA, but so much of it is just clicking through barrels/bookshelves/boxes

that is very stupid. This looks like one of those hundred-hour games where forty of those hours are bullshit like that

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

inthesto posted:

I agree with the philosophy you outlined at first, but I don't see that in practice at all. Fail an ability check with the mind slug? The mind slug gets away and your approval with the entire party falls. Fail an ability check with the dying mind flayer? Your character dies and you have to fight the thing on top of that.

Yes, failure should put in twists and snags and success shouldn't always be guaranteed, but this game seems to enjoy punching you in the throat for failing a check when you have far less agency in your decisions than you would in a tabletop game to begin with.

yeah I trusted Disco Elysium to do interesting things with failed checks.

this game it's just "you're in a fight now lol, gently caress you"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Magil Zeal posted:

Sometimes it's also just "companions lost opinion of you" which I actually find just as annoying if not more than a fight really.

yeah! like what the gently caress guys, you know I've got a tadpole in my head, I didn't see any of YOU go to crush it either.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

upgunned shitpost posted:

day one trip report: the dwarfs are half-a-head too short. unplayable. the halflings are disgustingly gnomish. unplayable. finally settled on a half wood elf circus act, heavy on the wisdom, intelligence and charisma with charming investigative skills. kinda like batman, or closer to robin I suppose, chucking bombs and stuff in combat while being able to pass all the skill checks that open up different options.

some time later...

this dude has failed every skill check, save for one in arcana and another in medicine, which he has no advantage in. it did not bring joy. honestly surprised my companions didn't show up fully encumbered given they're not only weighed down by considerable amounts of baggage, but each one is lugging around their own forbidden closet of mystery. they are absolutely tedious and I hate them. I'm afraid to sleep at camp cuz they'll just start cutting themselves. sleeping also does nothing to speed up their transformation in mindflayers, which would do wonders for their likability. not a single coolguy chillbro to say 'wow' when I do. where is my mazzy or jaheira? eder? steven heck? can't even get a fun shithead like xan.

it is kinda pretty though.

it just overall feels like a really unpleasant experience!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
the other thing about stunning strike is it's just too good not to spend most of your ki on it. even big baddies who have high CON saves won't make all of them, and all it takes is one SS to proc for the beatdown to commence

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

unattended spaghetti posted:

I know it’s off topic-ish, but what were y’alls first D&D characters?

A dwarven cleric of Moradin named, ah, Doramin. One session wonder

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Only thing holding me back from going polearm master paladin is I want to see the magic item list first. Shame if the holy avenger is a greatsword.

big lack of magic polearms in the standard 5E list (but PAM is so awesome that it may not matter)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

wizard2 posted:

and with Red Prince in particular, it is absolutely critical that you do this :swoon:

"yes, I am the Red Prince :smuggo:"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

lady you were like level a million last time I saw you in Throne of Bhaal, what gives eh

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

bud we were all higher level back then

mmm, true, true

I wonder if she and Minsc are gonna bring up the Bhaalspawn at all. not that it's essential or anything

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Mr. Lobe posted:

Incorrect, Larian Studios made the correct call of spending years of dev time curating a sensuous encounter with a bear.

kinda like how Bandai Namco delayed Ace Combat 7 just for one awesome song, Larian has done the same for bestiality

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

I never rested very often in these games because it goes against the vibe.

If I can't enter and be welcome at the Sea's Bounty with my boy The Thumb then why bother

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I'm thinking Polearm Master/Sentinel Oath of Vengeance paladin for the first go-round

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

rojay posted:

I wonder if Larian have modeled the sewers after the original Baldur's Gate? Like, if I know where a secret door is from BG, can I find in in this game?

that'd be cool. I remember being excited to go to Redcliffe in Dragon Age: Inquisition after spending so much time in it in Dragon Age: Origins only to find the only thing they had in common was a windmill.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dexo posted:

It can work, but more times than not it does not.

It takes a really really good table, where everyone at the table is fairly well adjusted and trusts each other for it to have a chance at working.

And even then, when things get untenable, and that crossroads is hit, the players should either leave/kill the evil traitor, the Traitor should have a change of heart, or the GM should take control of the evil player character and it becomes an NPC with that person rolling a new character

one time a friend of mine invited me to come into a campaign specifically as a traitor. The party were up against Tiamat and were trying to track down a bunch of chromatic dragon masks, so I came in as a cheerful warforged artificer who'd wormed his way into their king's good graces and didn't know he was a traitor -- any actions he took to further Tiamat's goals were justified in his head as something other than that.

I was setting up a long and complex plan to steal the dragon masks for himself, but because my DM is old-school and uses loot tables, we happened across a *deck of many things* after killing a black dragon. My guy advocated for them to sell it but was secretly hoping he could somehow take advantage of any potential chaos.

of course I ended up drawing the Wish card and while the rest of the party was celebrating our good fortune, I said "I'm so sorry. I wish I was in my master's presence with all of the party's dragon masks in my possession."

chaos ensued. But the players and I are all friends so they loved it, and I brought in another character soon afterwards who wasn't a traitor. My old dude became an antagonist. fun times!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

How good is Assassin or sneaky backstab rogue in 5E? The rogue in our party was a Crowperson who mostly did ranged weapon attacks and flew around for advantage on rolls or maybe sneak attack die? It was cool but our combat was more like, of you have a cool idea and do something interesting or make a plan, you roll for it and see what unfolds. Our DM set up encounters around this more than spending much time doing like straight forward combat . It was very fun, but not going to translate to a computer game version of DnD.

I feel like most cRPGs I end up with a rogue around for skill utility, but my attempts playing a shadow cloaked assassin type vary wildly from game to game, edition to edition.

a good 5E sneak attack can really nuke a motherfucker and if you set it up correctly you'll be backstabbing someone pretty often

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Conquest is absolutely my favorite subclass both mechanically and thematically; I've played two of them in tabletop over the past few years, the first was a full goth emo drama hellknight with the crusher feat who just smashed everything and then my next character was a minotaur ("half-cow") who was basically a parody of the first character.

There's a great mod for it for BG3 on the Nexus and it avoids most (but not all) of the paladin oath triggers so you can just play how you want without fretting.

The great thing about it is how neatly all the class mechanics fit together and fit the theme. Great AOE crowd control, mass disadvantage, with all the strength of a martial, plus Armor of Agathys. Probably the strongest "tank" subclass in 5e.

I have a Loxodon/Pachydan conquest paladin in the hopper who is basically a medieval communist and I'm really looking forward to him pumping out a fear aura while pressing W+M1 into the bourgeoisie

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
man I'm just glad we're getting what amounts to A Modern BioWare RPG But Good in TYOOL 2023

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
shoot I never played BG1 and BG2 was super easy to follow

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
hey they got a tiefling and a githyanki too

tabaxi and loxodon would have been dope but I don't think either are in FR

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dpulex posted:

if loxodon was a choice the other races would be obsolete because there is no reason to play anything else.

man I have a loxodon communist oath of conquest paladin in the hopper for the right campaign and I am just dying to play Elephant Stalin

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Tabaxi are around, they are the main cat people of D&D now. A Tabaxi baby is rescued from a fish in the new movie.

oh nice

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm going to be honest, serial killer adventurer doesn't make sense to me, even a super goody two shoes run you're already going to tack up a massive body count.

all RPG parties are basically extinction-level events for the areas in which they operate. There's banter from Dragon Age II which triggers if one of your party members is feeling bad about nearly killing someone which I always felt was honest about the typical moral conundrums characters feel despite wading through oceans of blood otherwise:

Dragon Age II posted:

Varric: Oh, cheer up, Blondie. You're making me cry just looking at you.
Anders: Don't.
Varric: You made a mistake. It happens.
Anders: I almost killed a girl.
Varric: You've killed two-hundred and fifty-four by my last count. Plus about five hundred men, a few dozen giant spiders, and at least two demons.
Anders: It's not the same.
Varric: Why? Because this one you feel bad about? Maybe that's the problem.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Jon Irenicus posted:

best video game evil: I'm going to buy the burnt down orphanage at rock-bottom prices and use city council connections to build luxury apartments in its place

Crassus playthrough

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Issaries posted:

That's a hateful stereotype. I'm both dumb and pacifist.

hard mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

worm girl posted:

Swen said in the last panel that some of the devs were worried that some content wasn't going to get seen by the vast majority of players, but that the design goal of the game was to make sure that stuff was there regardless.

Even if you never see the evil stuff, it's cool that it's there, and it means that what you're doing is actually personalized even if you're not going off the beaten path very much.

yeah this is good, even if I'll never take option D it needs to exist to make options A, B, and C meaningful