Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

yeah, but I can't imagine adding more party members is high on the priority list on day 2 of the games ea release

This is me going off my shoddy memory but I recall Larian saying they were definitely planning to put in more classes/races so I (maybe wrongly) assume more companions/origins will come with that. Though they've kept companions tight in OS/OS2 so who knows!

Granted this is all way down the line after making sure the game doesn't burst into flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Why they opt in 5e to wait until 3rd level to give fighters their subclasses and thus maybe some cool stuff to do I’ll never know other than gently caress You, Fighters.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

https://wccftech.com/baldurs-gate-3-sales-are-already-insane-says-larian-ceo/

Only bad thing is some people will be turned off when they find out Larian really means it when they say Early Access.

Yeah, after seeing how early the OS2 EA was, how much was drastically changed, and how polished it came out the other side, Larian really means the early part of it. But they also use it like it should be used.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I headbutted Astarion right in his stupid elf face so he’s alright in my book. The fact I was a halfling with 9 strength was added salt in the wound.

I also got a camp event of Gale admiring himself with Minor Illusion and how can I hate that?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I did that to three people at once with Thunder Wave. It was hilarious and also murdered my framerate.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

I haven't played yet, but I think the complaint is more that all of them are like that. You also need companions like Imoen or Eder or whoever, who are just happy to be there and personally loyal to you.

I admittedly haven’t played very much yet because I’m all up in this Divinity Unleashed life right now but Gale seems pretty chill so far. Except the whole being a wizard thing.

You’re all wildly different people thrust together by being kidnapped by goddamn mind flayers and brain-slugged, I wouldn’t be “happy to be there” either.

All that being said I would love a super friendly warforged bard or something. He’s got no brain to slug but he’s along for the ride!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

RedLobster posted:

In fairness dms dont usually tell you the DC and ask whether you still want to roll

Ask ‘em twice and if they still insist shrug and let them dig their own grave.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Horizon Burning posted:

I do like that this game allows you to do DOS:2 levels of cheese. I just blew Minthara's raiding party back to the Stone Age with like twenty barrels of explosives. Incredible.

I will adore Larian’s unique kind of terrain and elemental field insanity until the day I die.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

My only real complaint about the nautilus is that the bulbs dangling from the ceiling are a bit hard to see because they’re otherwise a great introduction to elemental fields, along with the tanks of brine.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

They're there! I'm not sure if there's any actually in the combat arenas but there's definitely some in the room Shadowheart's pod is in.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I couldn't do it. I tried my very best but I just can't not play a new Baldur's Gate. Which class is lacking from the pre-made characters or which pre-made character is the most annoying/least interesting?

Shadowheart (cleric) is annoying, Astarion (rogue) is a dumb noble bastard who gets old.

Shadowheart has the double whammy of being terribly statted. 9 friggen dex?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I did like the look of a warlock. I like the idea of having a reason to have a high charisma character.

Warlock is super fun. Eldritch Blast with the proper invocations (and hex) hits like a truck, and the high cha helps with all the dialog skill checks.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Wow Shadowheart really isn’t a fan of you being a githyanki huh.

I got a warmer reception as a drat drow.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Planescape: Torment was the first real exposure I had to D&D as a whole and Dak'kons loredives into the Gith and their history loving fascinated 13 year old me, so even if they're the rear end in a top hat Gith I'm just happy to see any Gith be pretty prominent. :allears:

I'd love to see some Githzerai show up later on to see the other side of the coin. Going to one of their fortress cities in Limbo would be the tits.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

blizzardvizard posted:

The game definitely does not explain things well to people unfamiliar with the tabletop rules, for now anyway. I can't remember if D:OS2 had particularly good tutorial but hopefully they'll explain these things better in the release version.

The gist of it is: Most classes get access to simple weapons, only a select few (the "warrior" classes) get access to martial weapons, with martial weapons having higher damage in general. You can look at what proficiencies the classes get in the character panel tab. Weapons with the "Finesse" tag (and all Finesse weapons are Light weapons, incidentally) pick the highest between your Strength and Dexterity modifiers to decide their damage bonus (eg. if you have 12 Strength (+1 modifier) and 18 Dexterity (+4 modifier) using daggers, you get +4 damage bonus to your attacks, while you'll get +1 damage bonus using a longsword)

Only Light weapons can be dual-wielded. The "Heavy" tag is used for a specific feat that's not in the game yet but I'm not sure what else it's relevant for.

Just a minor correction, rapiers don’t have the light trait but are finesse weapons.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

French Canadian posted:

Should Lae'Zel be in my party from very early in the act? Like...she was trapped in a cage, and I freed her, but she vanished or something and I haven't seen her in a long time I think. Not sure where she ran off to...a bug?

Is she not at camp?

Related, just give me a party loadout screen Larian this having to talk to people to take them out then talk to who I want to out in stuff is for the birds.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Man if I can leave Lae’zel in the cage to make her even pissier later that would be great. I don’t hate her but I was disappointed she’s not at least a little friendlier to another Githyanki.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

French Canadian posted:

Without spoiling, can I expect to meet a fighter-ish companion in this act? I feel like I just need someone to use all these big weapons and armor I come across. I don't have Lae'zel so I don't know her class, but I have Astarion, Gael, and Shadowheart. My main is a wizard :/

You can find a fighter within minutes of exiting the tutorial, yes.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Aurubin posted:

If they do put Minsc in as anything more than a fanservice cameo, like Volo, how is he still alive. Also why does no one address the latter, Volo included. l I'll also like to see if they don't play his mental illness for humor, but have the tadpole pretend to be Boo or something. Alternatively make it a Flowers for Algernon scenario.

Clearly he took levels in warlock with the Miniature Giant Space Hamster patron to prolong his life.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Poor statting aside, the fact half-elves don’t currently get the weapon proficiencies they do in tabletop 5e hurts her a lot too. Her having access to shortswords and bows would make it easier for them to drop her strength and up her dex to more fit what trickery domain would like, otherwise she’s basically stuck with daggers. As is she’s got the bog-standard cleric starting kit and it sucks. She sucks. Please put in another healer-type soon Larian.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

There’s a lot of cool stuff you can do with unconventional clerics with weird domains and racial weapon proficiencies!

And they gave us Shadowheart.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Lae’zel has gone in hard on this whole Githyanki thing, which is basically screaming gently caress you at anyone who isn’t a Githyanki until your lifeforce is sucked out by a lich queen.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Druid for wildshape and paladin for smite both seem like they could throw up some problems. Though smite could easily be implemented like sneak attack is now, a hotbar action instead of something decided on after the fact.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Devorum posted:

I'd hate Smite to be that way. One of the major strengths of Smite is that it can be used after you know you hit or crit.

Unless they make it an unlimited resource like SA.

It could easily be something that doesn’t eat a spell slot if it misses. Though that does take some of the satisfaction away.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Doctor Nutt posted:

Just picked this up after getting on a crpg tear and mainlining poe1 and 2, and wondering why during character creation my charisma is maxed out at 15? Feels kinda janky, thought this game was supposed to be a pretty faithful interpretation of 5e.

You’re limited to a starting max ability of 15 in the PHB point-buy system, before taking racial modifiers into account.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Your choices are Iron Man, Has-gun, or some person who makes potions and one of these things is not like the others.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Turds in magma posted:

I just remember it was the time when they started making classes available to more races, normalizing buffs between alliance and horde. I'm sure it got much worse. I also may have no idea what I'm saying, it's been a very long time.

But I really don't like the idea of concentration only working for 1 spell at a time, offence or defense. I can either protect from good/evil OR i can cast witch bolt? What exactly is the point of a buff that I have to concentrate on if it wipes out a large selection of future offensive choices? How is that fun?

Piling on eighty billion buffs at the start of every fight is lame and unfun, having to actually choose what to use vs what to drop is much more interesting. Plus there are plenty of options that don't need concentration. It doesn't "wipe them out", it forces you to make a choice as to what to use.

It's not perfect and I think a feat or something to let you keep one or two more effects going under concentration would be an okay idea, but if you go too ham in that direction you have the ever-present problem D&D has had before of "just use all casters they're better at literally everything".

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

OS2 was in EA about a year and I think the majority if not all of that was just the first act? I imagine BG3 will be similar, maybe a bit longer since they have a new system to work with and have to deal with communication/getting go-aheads from WotC and stuff.

E: A lot of stuff in OS2 was also added way late in EA, like the Polymorph/Summoner skills.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Are poor half-elves finally getting the rest of their racial kit?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Who the gently caress wouldn’t want to be an elephant-man? I want to be an elephant-man!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mescal posted:

-How do I know what's a fey, fiend, celestial, or aberration?

-If somebody's armor class is 13 and my attack stat is 10, I have to roll 13 to hit them. If my attack stat is 13, I -have to roll ten. Or something like that?

-Every spell casts with your spellcasting stat if you're able to cast it. Or, casting stat depends on the spell and you might be able to cast it despite it being off-class, but you shouldn't because it doesn't use your strong stat?

-There are a lot of cool weapons, but no one can wield them, ever, because gently caress you. Do I have that right?

-Right click the enemy and go down to examine. There's a very detailed stat screen there including their type.

-Your bonus to attack is your attack ability modifier (Str, Dex, or whichever stat your caster is using), plus your proficiency bonus if you're using something you're proficient in (starts at +2), plus whatever other modifiers you might have from spells or weapon bonuses or the like. Your ability score modifier starts at +0 at 10 and increases or decreases by 1 every 2 points from there (+1 at 12-13, -1 at 8-9, etc). So if their AC is 13 and you're attacking with a weapon you're proficient with using an ability that's at 10, you have 2(proficiency bonus)+0(Ability score modifier)= +2 as a bonus to your roll, so you need at least an 11. If your score is 13 you have 2+1(ability score modifier)= +3 to hit, so you would need a 10.

-Your casting stat is dependent on your class. Wizards use Intelligence, Warlocks use Charisma, Clerics/Druids/Rangers use Wisdom. So no need to worry about a spell being off-class if it's on your list.

-I'm not sure what you're asking here. Weapon proficiencies depend on your class, and you can see what you can use on your character panel. Lae'zel for example should be able to use every weapon you find since she's a fighter. Wizards have a very limited selection, so they have to be choosier but won't be using weapons much anyway thanks to offensive cantrips.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Larian doesn’t really do short games.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

It used to be even more obtuse with THAC0 and the ability scores not even giving bonuses until they were 15 or higher.

What, your fighter's strength is only 18/99?

Pathetic.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I still haven't played a whole ton of this due to wanting to not burnout/be annoyed by the inevitable bugs, but "Teethlings" and the dialog options to call that out continues to be one of the best understated little bits of character building I've seen in a while.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mordecai posted:

Where are the dang wuxia-inspired monks in D&D and Pathfinder? It's all about unarmed for some reason. Bruce Lee?

I know there are "monk weapons" but they're not great and don't scale with class levels like unarmed does.

Kensai is a whole thing though?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah Yeenoghu's whole thing is being King Fucker of Gnoll Mountain so he should have a massive pack of the snickering bastards with him when he throws down.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

Honestly, the only thing I'd change about 5e on a personal level is to add another higher level choice that works a bit like choosing subclass again at level 10~15, sort of like 4e's Paragon choice.

It would build a bit more into giving more choices at a point where you've more or less made all the choices you could.

If you like those sort of periodic, pivotal choices that define your character, grab a copy of Shadow of the Demon Lord. Its super cool and has neat stuff like that.

Which is a system I would love to see turned into a videogame. Though the Level 0 portion could be harrowing but that’s the whole point of being level 0.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Larian kept EA to the first act of OS2 as well, while adding in systems and skills and other poo poo that needs tweaking while scenarios and stuff are playtested in-house.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

"The Monster Math is wrong" has been an ongoing issue for D&D since 3.0. At this point it's a feature of the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Play co-op with a moon circle druid buddy has lead me to believe 95% of the appeal of the class is photobombing conversations because I’m the talkey one and taking up my entire dang screen with their dopey bear face/butt.

I have to admit its made me want to try one.