Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SliceOfPie
Jul 28, 2013
Looking for a movie that has some big twists and leave you confused until the very end. Similar to shutter island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Action Jacktion posted:

Anvil! The Story of Anvil

That's another great one, I've seen a lot of the metal ones for sure.

SliceOfPie posted:

Looking for a movie that has some big twists and leave you confused until the very end. Similar to shutter island.

Memento, Jacob's Ladder, Oldboy (2003), Brazil, 12 Monkeys. Always a cool kind of vibe.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 2, 2021

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

SliceOfPie posted:

Identity, Angel Heart, Videodrome, eXiztenZ

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Pretty popular ones but: Mulholland Dr, The Sixth Sense, The Usual Suspects, Fight Club, Irreversible, Audition, Saw

If you really want to be confused the whole way through, Lost Highway or Inland Empire

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Heavy Metal posted:

Any fun and/or offbeat good entertainment documentaries? Mostly I've been digging music docs, loved Beastie Boys Story and I Am Thor for example. But I'd also be interested in ones about other entertainers.

I guess another thing that makes a really good doc is one that doesn't just feel like it's going over a career like VH1. Has a little extra character to it.

I'm gonna check out that Zappa one for sure.
You may have seen these but I'll throw out: Be Water, Diego Maradona, Won't You Be My Neighbor, Jim & Andy, Life Itself, The Punk Singer, Sound City, 20 Feet from Stardom, Searching for Sugar Man, Being Elmo.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

fenix down posted:

You may have seen these but I'll throw out: Be Water, Diego Maradona, Won't You Be My Neighbor, Jim & Andy, Life Itself, The Punk Singer, Sound City, 20 Feet from Stardom, Searching for Sugar Man, Being Elmo.

Thanks! Those sound great.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Heavy Metal posted:

Any fun and/or offbeat good entertainment documentaries? Mostly I've been digging music docs, loved Beastie Boys Story and I Am Thor for example. But I'd also be interested in ones about other entertainers.

I guess another thing that makes a really good doc is one that doesn't just feel like it's going over a career like VH1. Has a little extra character to it.

I'm gonna check out that Zappa one for sure.

It's not quite a documentary but 24-Hour Party People is terrific. Dig! is also really good. Me And Daniel Johnston.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
If you'd like TV recommendation instead of movies, or want to give a shout out to some of your favourite TV miniseries (they are kind of movies right?), swing by the Annual TVIV Viewers Poll thread and have a read/cast your votes.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952217
:siren:Deadline for submissions is 12:01AM PST on Jan 18th:siren:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Watching Streets of Fire for the 100th time and I just love how chill the brother and sister relationship is in it—they're close and respect each other but also give each other a lot of poo poo. It feels really true to life. What other movies have that kinda sibling dynamic?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Watching Streets of Fire for the 100th time and I just love how chill the brother and sister relationship is in it—they're close and respect each other but also give each other a lot of poo poo. It feels really true to life. What other movies have that kinda sibling dynamic?

Jeepers Creepers (2001) comes to mind.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Home for the Holidays :D

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Zogo posted:

Jeepers Creepers (2001) comes to mind.

Yeah but the director is a convicted child rapist

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

SliceOfPie posted:

I'm actually looking for this as well, but preferably with less scares and graphic violence. Tension, twists, and thrills are great, but abject terror and viscera are not a fun vibe for me on edibles.

Films like Moon, Primer, Under The Skin, Funny Games, and Coherence all hit this for me and I'd love to watch more like these.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

space marine todd posted:

I'm actually looking for this as well, but preferably with less scares and graphic violence. Tension, twists, and thrills are great, but abject terror and viscera are not a fun vibe for me on edibles.

Films like Moon, Primer, Under The Skin, Funny Games, and Coherence all hit this for me and I'd love to watch more like these.
Psycho II is fun if you haven't seen.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

SliceOfPie posted:

Some good ones that hasn't been brought up are the Third Murder, Cure, Sole Survivor, Cutter’s Way, Wolfen, and Star Time. If you like older movies too, some of Val Lewton's work would be good to see as well.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Upstream Color is by the same director as Primer, and definitely fits this request. Arrival, possibly. The Fountain, by Aronofsky. The Vanishing. Looper. Zardoz. Memento. Sound of my Voice. The Others. The Prestige. Lost Highway. Triangle. Frailty. The Conspiracy. Bug (2006).

joke option: Soylent Green

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Looking for movies/mini series/tv that is dark high fantasy/adventure along the lines of Solomon Kane, Black Death, LOTR(but darker, less lightheartedness). Period pieces, completely fictional settings, alternate timelines are fine with me. I'm cool with animated as well so like things like Berserk meet pretty much exactly what I'm looking for with dark fantasy with elements of supernatural.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Virginia Slams posted:

Looking for movies/mini series/tv that is dark high fantasy/adventure along the lines of Solomon Kane, Black Death, LOTR(but darker, less lightheartedness). Period pieces, completely fictional settings, alternate timelines are fine with me. I'm cool with animated as well so like things like Berserk meet pretty much exactly what I'm looking for with dark fantasy with elements of supernatural.

You might like the movie The Head Hunter or Netflix's The Witcher TV series. They're both about men who hunt monsters for bounties in a relatively grim fantasy setting. The TV show has a lot more typical fantasy adventure stuff in it, while the movie is a stripped-down story about the hunter looking for revenge on one particular monster.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
These both have their moments of goofiness (intentional or not), but 13th Warrior and Brotherhood of the Wolf might be what you are looking for. Also, consider the original Conan the Barbarian if you haven't seen it. Although I wonder if would come across as dated and dumb to a first-time viewer, given all the parodies and copycat films it spawned.

I'll try to think of something more modern as well.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 30, 2021

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Roumba posted:

Also, consider the original Conan the Barbarian if you haven't seen it. Although I wonder if would come across as dated and dumb to a first-time viewer, given all the parodies and copycat films it spawned.
I watched it with my daughter not too long ago and she thought it was great :black101:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Yeah, Conan would be a good watch. You might also enjoy Excalibur, though it's…a lot. Same with Legend, though I'm not sure either of those are quite as bleak as what you're looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZc0ED-GULk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=als5pGB3Tfg

Edit: maybe Valhalla Rising?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQgoGccHJD4

morestuff fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 31, 2021

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Virginia Slams posted:

If you haven't seen, Dark Crystal Age of Resistance on Netflix is worth checking out. My only complaint about it was there are a lot of characters like Game of Thrones, but many of them are very similar in appearance. That being said, usually you can figure out who is who based on context.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
13th Warrior is so good.

Not exaclty what you might be looking for, but maybe check out Ken Russell's The Devils or Paul Verhoeven's Flesh + Blood?

edit: The CGI Beowulf is way better than its reputation, and also the Christopher Lambert Beowulf is just nuts.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Watched Mask of Zorro, Pirates of the Caribbean (just the first one) and Princess Bride this week and am hankering for more swashbuckling - anyone got any suggestions? Preferably stuff that's on streaming services but that's not completely essential.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The 1938 Robin Hood is excellent.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

Watched Mask of Zorro, Pirates of the Caribbean (just the first one) and Princess Bride this week and am hankering for more swashbuckling - anyone got any suggestions? Preferably stuff that's on streaming services but that's not completely essential.
I haven't seen before, but up next on my list are Crimson Pirate, Moonfleet, and The Flame and the Arrow.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Cheers both of you

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Three O'Clock High (1987) came to mind recently.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Are there any documentaries or shows that deal with media bias or how to interpret media?

I ask because my wife recently watched the documentary titled "American Factory." This is a 2019 film produced by Barack Obama's film production company and purports to show the culture clash that occurs when a Chinese company purchases and re-opens a General Motors plant in the Ohio. The problem with it is it's basically the same premise as the1986 Michael Keaton comedy "Gung Ho," which shows the culture clash when a Japanese company purchases a failing American auto plant in the Midwest.

I've not seen the 2019 film, but the similarities are too hard to ignore and it feels like the same anti-Japanese tropes from the 1980s are being recycled into Anti-Chinese tropes. My wife thinks that the 2019 film has to be accurate because "they just film what happens, they can't make things up." She is resistant to the idea that filmmakers, even ones who make documentaries, can craft and shape narratives.

I'd like to show her a program that explains that just because something is in a documentary, it's not necessarily accurate to reality. Please no Youtube channels though, she won't sit still for them.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

PeterCat posted:

Are there any documentaries or shows that deal with media bias or how to interpret media?

I ask because my wife recently watched the documentary titled "American Factory." This is a 2019 film produced by Barack Obama's film production company and purports to show the culture clash that occurs when a Chinese company purchases and re-opens a General Motors plant in the Ohio. The problem with it is it's basically the same premise as the1986 Michael Keaton comedy "Gung Ho," which shows the culture clash when a Japanese company purchases a failing American auto plant in the Midwest.

I've not seen the 2019 film, but the similarities are too hard to ignore and it feels like the same anti-Japanese tropes from the 1980s are being recycled into Anti-Chinese tropes. My wife thinks that the 2019 film has to be accurate because "they just film what happens, they can't make things up." She is resistant to the idea that filmmakers, even ones who make documentaries, can craft and shape narratives.

I'd like to show her a program that explains that just because something is in a documentary, it's not necessarily accurate to reality. Please no Youtube channels though, she won't sit still for them.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140120170648/http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I could show her "Michael Moore hates America."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af1m6e06RbU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Chronicle of a Summer is one of the most influential docs ever and might help. It’s not media bias but an exploration of how documentary filmmaking can capture truth (if possible), among other things. It’s where the term Cinema Verite came from and just a great movie.

It’s on Criterion, here is a link to a short vid talking about it:

https://youtu.be/S0dOLHemSgs

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I've decided to fully embrace my inner nerd and have been playing a lot of chess lately. What are the best chess movies, documentary or otherwise?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Computer Chess by Andrew Bujalski :getin:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

married but discreet posted:

Computer Chess by Andrew Bujalski :getin:

Just finished it. Holy poo poo this movie is NUTS. I was expecting sort of a Christopher Guest dry-humored spoof thing. But it was nothing like that. In fact I've never seen anything even remotely like this. I was equal parts perplexed and laughing my rear end off. My head is still spinning, but I can confidently say I loved it.

Needless to say, a huge thanks for the great recommendation.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Spatulater bro! posted:

I've decided to fully embrace my inner nerd and have been playing a lot of chess lately. What are the best chess movies, documentary or otherwise?

Queen's Gambit is a very good drama series on Netflix right now. (It started me playing again too! I use lichess. If you use it tell me your username.)

Happyloony
Oct 19, 2012
Anyone know of any movies similar to Beyond the Black Rainbow and Mandy?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The Color Out of Space has a similar surreal, weird, slow paced feel

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
The films that inspired those like Dario Argento's Suspirira or Inferno. Hardware, THX-1138, Phantasm, Star Time, and Kwaidan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happyloony
Oct 19, 2012
alright, thanks!