Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER

busalover posted:

I watched Hereditary and Midsommar in the past couple months, and like them both. Any recent-ish horror/suspense movies that feel the same? I also like VVitch, Green Room, and Mandy. Btw that Cronenberg son-movie doesn't look good to me, not sure about that.

Not that recent, but Kill List

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Origami Dali posted:

Possessor is great tho. Other good recent-ish poo poo is The Blackcoat's Daughter, the Suspiria remake, Knife+Heart, The Lighthouse

Knife + Heart sounds interesting, and reminds me of Raw, a french movie about a vegan student with some issues. Recommended if you like psycho-horror.

regulargonzalez posted:

Not that recent, but Kill List

Ah yeah, that sounds cool too.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

A Bag of Milk posted:

soy but not too soy

Please don't use that term in CineD.

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 17, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EVERY FAIRY TALE NEEDS ITS HERO.

busalover posted:

I watched Hereditary and Midsommar in the past couple months, and like them both. Any recent-ish horror/suspense movies that feel the same? I also like VVitch, Green Room, and Mandy. Btw that Cronenberg son-movie doesn't look good to me, not sure about that.

Gretel & Hansel.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Anybody got recommendations for movies similar to The Insider or Michael Clayton? Movies that mine real suspense and excitement out of people having conversations in offices without a whole lot of traditional “action”. I’ve seen most of Pakula’s major films.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Anybody got recommendations for movies similar to The Insider or Michael Clayton? Movies that mine real suspense and excitement out of people having conversations in offices without a whole lot of traditional “action”. I’ve seen most of Pakula’s major films.

Spotlight is good if you haven't seen it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is the gold standard there as far as I'm concerned.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

feedmyleg posted:

Hard agree.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

busalover posted:

Knife + Heart sounds interesting, and reminds me of Raw, a french movie about a vegan student with some issues. Recommended if you like psycho-horror.

Haha there is VERY little overlap between Knife + Heart but it would be hilarious going in expecting that.

Raw is really good tho, highly recommended.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

The Corridor of Uncertainty

busalover posted:

For the folk horror feel, give November a try. Beautiful film based on a lot of Estonian folklore.

For the families-are-horror feel, The Lodge and Relic are my favourites since Hereditary

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 19, 2021

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

feedmyleg posted:

I probably owe this a rewatch

morestuff posted:

Spotlight is good if you haven't seen it.

I have! It’s pretty good!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I probably owe this a rewatch

It's even more rewarding the second time around. The film is so dense and tightly-wound that going through it a second time knowing the ending means you get to see the mechanics of the terrific writing at work.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Locke is also a pretty good thriller and that's literally all talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

I'm a big fan of 'A Most Wanted Man', which is Le Carre again like 'Tinker Tailor'