Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

busalover posted:

I watched Hereditary and Midsommar in the past couple months, and like them both. Any recent-ish horror/suspense movies that feel the same? I also like VVitch, Green Room, and Mandy. Btw that Cronenberg son-movie doesn't look good to me, not sure about that.

Not that recent, but Kill List

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Origami Dali posted:

Possessor is great tho. Other good recent-ish poo poo is The Blackcoat's Daughter, the Suspiria remake, Knife+Heart, The Lighthouse

Knife + Heart sounds interesting, and reminds me of Raw, a french movie about a vegan student with some issues. Recommended if you like psycho-horror.

regulargonzalez posted:

Not that recent, but Kill List

Ah yeah, that sounds cool too.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

A Bag of Milk posted:

soy but not too soy

:chloe:

Please don't use that term in CineD.

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 17, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

busalover posted:

I watched Hereditary and Midsommar in the past couple months, and like them both. Any recent-ish horror/suspense movies that feel the same? I also like VVitch, Green Room, and Mandy. Btw that Cronenberg son-movie doesn't look good to me, not sure about that.

Gretel & Hansel.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Anybody got recommendations for movies similar to The Insider or Michael Clayton? Movies that mine real suspense and excitement out of people having conversations in offices without a whole lot of traditional “action”. I’ve seen most of Pakula’s major films.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Anybody got recommendations for movies similar to The Insider or Michael Clayton? Movies that mine real suspense and excitement out of people having conversations in offices without a whole lot of traditional “action”. I’ve seen most of Pakula’s major films.

Spotlight is good if you haven't seen it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is the gold standard there as far as I'm concerned.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

feedmyleg posted:

Hard agree.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

busalover posted:

Knife + Heart sounds interesting, and reminds me of Raw, a french movie about a vegan student with some issues. Recommended if you like psycho-horror.

Haha there is VERY little overlap between Knife + Heart but it would be hilarious going in expecting that.

Raw is really good tho, highly recommended.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

busalover posted:

For the folk horror feel, give November a try. Beautiful film based on a lot of Estonian folklore.

For the families-are-horror feel, The Lodge and Relic are my favourites since Hereditary

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 19, 2021

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

feedmyleg posted:

I probably owe this a rewatch

morestuff posted:

Spotlight is good if you haven't seen it.

I have! It’s pretty good!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I probably owe this a rewatch

It's even more rewarding the second time around. The film is so dense and tightly-wound that going through it a second time knowing the ending means you get to see the mechanics of the terrific writing at work.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Locke is also a pretty good thriller and that's literally all talking.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

I'm a big fan of 'A Most Wanted Man', which is Le Carre again like 'Tinker Tailor'

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I think Margin Call fits the bill. Maybe The Informant!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Arbitrage (2012)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are some good hangout movies? Chill, low-stakes movies where everybody just kinda hangs out and has a good time and there's not much conflict.

I've seen Dazed and Confused and Everybody Wants Some!! and such. Open to whatever, but ideally something with a bit of a hook—I'd love some genre flicks.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The Stoned Age.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

feedmyleg posted:

What are some good hangout movies? Chill, low-stakes movies where everybody just kinda hangs out and has a good time and there's not much conflict.

I've seen Dazed and Confused and Everybody Wants Some!! and such. Open to whatever, but ideally something with a bit of a hook—I'd love some genre flicks.

I still like Cheech and Chong, but it's not gonna be for everyone.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

feedmyleg posted:

Better Off Dead?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

feedmyleg posted:

Withnail & I?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

sean10mm posted:

Better Off Dead?

Good choice. Since I moved to Burbank 10 years ago, I've noticed how much of it was filmed around here, too.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

feedmyleg posted:

Being There and My Dinner with Andre technically fit but I don't think they're what you're looking for.

The Before... movies too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Maybe give Computer Chess or Support The Girls a shot. Comedy pick: Jeanne Dielman

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
These are all great! I have a low emotional threshold for conflict right now so I'll probably end up watching all of these I haven't already caught.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Doublepost, but catching Computer Chess tonight and I'm pumped.

Another request: I caught The Palindromists the other night, just a super low-key nerdy documentary about some dorky weirdos having fun doing a world-championship palindrome contest. Nothing special, but it was super charming and hit my brain just right since I'm in a chill mode. But I realized it was a prime example of a category of documentaries I love—just low-stakes fun documentaries focused on a weird/interesting subculture that don't get all that emotional. I'd put stuff like King of Kong, Pumping Iron, and So Wrong They're Right in there, too.

So, what are some other fun, charming documentaries about weirdo subcultures?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 1, 2021

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

feedmyleg posted:

Another request: I caught The Palindromists the other night, just a super low-key nerdy documentary about some dorky weirdos having fun doing a world-championship palindrome contest. Nothing special, but it was super charming and hit my brain just right since I'm in a chill mode. But I realized it was a prime example of a category of documentaries I love—just low-stakes fun documentaries focused on a weird/interesting subculture that don't get all that emotional. I'd put stuff like King of Kong, Pumping Iron, and So Wrong They're Right in there, too.

Routine Pleasures
Cinemania
Wordplay

Not quite the same thing, but The Barkley Marathons might scratch that itch for you too

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Those all sound perfect, especially the model train one. I follow a couple of those guys on YouTube but they're just a bit too boring documenting their own stuff—I'm guessing a proper documentary about them could boil it down to what I'm interested in.

I'm planning on doing the Tetris competition doc Ecstasy of Order tonight, but I might double that up with Wordplay which seems like a good match.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
You should also add The Speed Cubers to your subculture documentary list.

On a slightly different tack, for an immersive and chill natural experience I'd strongly recommend Sweetgrass following a 300km sheep drive across Montana.

Enjoy Computer Chess! It's amazing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I rewatched Eastern Promises last night and could use some more Russian Mafia films. Any good ones?

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Professor Shark posted:

I rewatched Eastern Promises last night and could use some more Russian Mafia films. Any good ones?

I don't know of that much that focuses on them, but I'd suggest Little Odessa, and (if you'd like an actual Russian one) Brother.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

feedmyleg posted:

Years ago I watched a charming little independent film about competitors in a series of staring contests. I'm pretty sure it was called Staredown bit outside of a single blank imdb page, I can't find any evidence this movie ever existed.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

feedmyleg posted:

Click here to watch an Errol Morris 22 minute short on an electric football basement league

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

This is a vague request but a couple friends and I rented a cabin by a lake for a few days. Everyone is pretty comfortable with anything, preferably trashy or artsy. What’s a movie that would go great in a cabin setting?

Edit: So I guess what I’m asking for are movies set in a cabin/in the woods.

Please, nothing by Josh Whedon.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 13, 2021

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Cabin in the Woods

E: I was going to mention how it's a recent movie and you've probably seen it but gently caress me if it's not a decade old. Crazy.

Also, Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2. 2 is part remake, part sequel and horror-comedy vs standard horror of the first one.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 13, 2021

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Antichrist is set in a cabin in the woods and is both arty and trashy, but I'd definitely read some reviews first. There's also the Friday the 13th movies, especially IV

morestuff fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 13, 2021

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

morestuff posted:

Antichrist is set in a cabin in the woods and is both arty and trashy, but I'd definitely read some reviews first. There's also the Friday the 13th movies, especially IV

Seconding both of these

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Addams Family Values!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there anything else like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy out there? Just incredibly tense and tightly wound spy narratives? I know there's been a decent amount of Le Carre adaptations over the past few years, but I haven't tracked if any of them are as pitch-perfect as TTSS. I've seen the Alec Guinness BBC adaptations and while they're highly pleasant, they're not the same in terms of edge-of-your-seat tension. I could also be open to non-spy narratives that have the same vibe—maybe political thrillers? I'd say The Conversation would maybe scratch the same itch.

I'm probably going to catch Three Days of the Condor tonight, but open to other ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

It's not spy related at all but Tape cranks up the tension. 3 actors, one set, adapted from a stage play. In fact, adapted plays might be good for high tension situations -- Rope, Glengarry.