Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Descent: Part 2 wasn't bad for a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Tea Bone posted:

I've just got back from seeing Beast and while it had it's problems I'd like to see some more recent-ish films set in the bush/game reserves. They don't necessarily need to be survival movies like Beast.

Also with Halloween coming up, I know it's a taboo phrase but I'm looking for some good horror movies which aren't "elevated horror", so more focus on scares and atmosphere than subtext. I've probably seen most of the obvious English language ones, I enjoyed Hell House LLC, Grave Encounters, Session 9 and As Above So Below (I'm noticing now that these are all found footage, but they don't have to be)

Psycho Goreman
Skull : The Mask
Goodnight Mommy
High Tension
Suicide Club
Tale of Two Sisters
Trouble Every Day
Raw
Teeth
Possessor
Queen of Black Magic
Martyrs

Now that Goddard has passed, I don't know where to start with his films - I liked Jack Palance a lot so I'm guessing Contempt?

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 13, 2022

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
So I just discovered the films of Joel Potrykus (Alchemist Cookbook, Ape, Buzzard etc) and I really like this sort of "lo-fi paul schrader but without the theology" vibe a lot of his movies have. Just no/low budget movies about damaged loners that occasionally dip into horror territory. I'm wondering if there are any other directors or movies like that. I've seen Gummo, and that would maybe the closest point of comparison, or maybe like a grimier take on Linklater's stuff. Whatever it is, it would be cool if I could get more of that.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

magic cactus posted:

So I just discovered the films of Joel Potrykus (Alchemist Cookbook, Ape, Buzzard etc) and I really like this sort of "lo-fi paul schrader but without the theology" vibe a lot of his movies have. Just no/low budget movies about damaged loners that occasionally dip into horror territory. I'm wondering if there are any other directors or movies like that. I've seen Gummo, and that would maybe the closest point of comparison, or maybe like a grimier take on Linklater's stuff. Whatever it is, it would be cool if I could get more of that.

Broadcast Signal Intrusion
The Golden Glove (maybe?)
Angst
The House That Jack Built
I Stand Alone
LFO
Red Krokodil (full on horror)

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Kvlt! posted:

The Golden Glove (maybe?)
Angst
The House That Jack Built
I Stand Alone
LFO
Red Krokodil (full on horror)

I've heard of both The House That Jack Built and the Golden Glove, but haven't seen either of them. Rest of this list looks cool, thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

magic cactus posted:

I've heard of both The House That Jack Built and the Golden Glove, but haven't seen either of them. Rest of this list looks cool, thanks!

Some Southern Waters i think is a good fit for what youre looking for too!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Kvlt! posted:

Some Southern Waters i think is a good fit for what youre looking for too!
Just chiming in to say that I watched both Some Southern Waters and Broadcast Signal Intrusion. SSS didn't really grab me much, but Broadcast Signal Intrusion was fantastic, so thanks again for the recommendation!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

magic cactus posted:

Just chiming in to say that I watched both Some Southern Waters and Broadcast Signal Intrusion. SSS didn't really grab me much, but Broadcast Signal Intrusion was fantastic, so thanks again for the recommendation!

Glad you liked BSI! I really enjoyed it as well, I turned it on late one night as something to fall asleep too and ended up staying up and watching the whole thing!

I'm looking for movies for a paper I'm writing for school. I'm specifically looking for movies and/or documentaries about vigilantism that don't take a moral position on it, or view it as a "grey" area.

Stuff like Death Wish and Rolling Thunder has too much of a "vigilantism good!" going for it, and there are other movies that are simply "vigilantism bad!" but I'm looking for movies that either present BOTH a pro and anti argument or leave the situation morally ambiguous for the viewer to decide.

Blue Ruin is a great example of what I'm looking for.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
maybe You Were Never Really Here

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

morestuff posted:

maybe You Were Never Really Here

Actually that's literally the perfect movie I'm looking for to analyze. Didn't even think of it. Thank you!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

I've got kind of a weird request. Anyone know any movies that are experimental for their genre? I recently watched the Alien Workshop skateboarding video Memory Screen and I was struck by how... different stuff like the editing in it was as compared to the usual skate video style. It felt more like a weird video art piece that happened to feature skateboarding. It would be cool if there were more weird skate videos out there, but I'm not holding my breath.

Another example I can think of would be Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning, which is pretty out there for a straight action movie. Conquest would be another for swords and sorcery genre. Maaybe 500 days of summer for the rom-com (but I kind of want to give this spot to lost in translation.)

Tl;dr: Looking for movies that experiment within the confines of their genre.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

magic cactus posted:

I've got kind of a weird request. Anyone know any movies that are experimental for their genre? I recently watched the Alien Workshop skateboarding video Memory Screen and I was struck by how... different stuff like the editing in it was as compared to the usual skate video style. It felt more like a weird video art piece that happened to feature skateboarding. It would be cool if there were more weird skate videos out there, but I'm not holding my breath.

Another example I can think of would be Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning, which is pretty out there for a straight action movie. Conquest would be another for swords and sorcery genre. Maaybe 500 days of summer for the rom-com (but I kind of want to give this spot to lost in translation.)

Tl;dr: Looking for movies that experiment within the confines of their genre.

I Saw The Devil takes black comedy about as far as it can go

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
If you like crime thrillers with strong and interesting character personalities that delve deep into the psychological aspects of the characters, I recommend watching One False Move (1992) it is a dark, exciting and suspenseful film with a very dark and intimidating villain and a lovable over-the-top protagonist. It is very well written as well as the breakout movie of actor Billy Bob Thorton.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Putting together my options for the October challenge, what are the must-watches on Shudder that I might not have seen yet? Funny, weird, tense, ~elevated~, if it's good I'll probably like it.

Obvious answers I've already seen: Saloum, Triangle, The House of the Devil, Housebound, Night of the Demons, The Endless

Stuff I'm looking at:
Flux Gourmet
Mad God
Night of the Living Dead
Perfect Blue
Psycho Goreman
Glorious
Moloch
A Lonely Place to Die
Carrie
The Suspicious Death of a Minor (and/or other giallos)
Mad God
Tetsu the Iron Man
The Babadook
I Am a Ghost
Prom Night
House
A Field in England
Basket Case
The Hills Have Eyes

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I ended up with really mixed feelings about Mad God but it’s definitely worth watching at least the first half-hour, it’s a marvel

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

VROOM VROOM posted:

Putting together my options for the October challenge, what are the must-watches on Shudder that I might not have seen yet? Funny, weird, tense, ~elevated~, if it's good I'll probably like it.

Obvious answers I've already seen: Saloum, Triangle, The House of the Devil, Housebound, Night of the Demons, The Endless

Slumber Party Massacre is good, a sorta feminist take on slashers (although I've always thought there's a disconnect between the script and the direction on that front). But Slumber Party Massacre 2 is shockingly amazing, with one of the biggest gaps between how bad I expected something to be and how good I thought it ended up being.
The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears is a helluva watch -- didn't really work for me, but is totally unforgettable nonetheless. If you like surrealism and/or giallo more than I do, could well be worth a look. If not then skip.
The Wailing is incredible, but you may well have already seen? One of the best Korean films of the 2010s, anyway.
Guessing if you've seen Triangle then you've probably seen Coherence, but if not, a real good one imo.
Spring is from the directors of The Endless, but it's not super horror-y. Obviously inflected with some, but it's not the primary tone or genre. Was right up my street though.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Extremely good recommendations, seen all but Slumber Party Massacre 2 and The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears (still feeling out giallo, only proper one I've seen is What Have You Done to Solange?, excluding Suspiria) but they're going on the list!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about fighters/boxers/wrestlers that focus on redemption or comebacks

Some of what I've enjoyed:

-Southpaw
-The Fighter
-Jungleland
-The Wrestler
-Homeboy
-Raging Bull
-A Prayer Before Dawn

and of course the Rocky movies. Foreign films are welcome but I'm not looking for Bruce Lee/Ip Man style choreographed martial arts, more slugfests

Crying Fist.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about fighters/boxers/wrestlers that focus on redemption or comebacks

Some of what I've enjoyed:

-Southpaw
-The Fighter
-Jungleland
-The Wrestler
-Homeboy
-Raging Bull
-A Prayer Before Dawn

and of course the Rocky movies. Foreign films are welcome but I'm not looking for Bruce Lee/Ip Man style choreographed martial arts, more slugfests

Red Belt

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

VROOM VROOM posted:

Stuff I'm looking at:
Flux Gourmet
Mad God
Night of the Living Dead
Perfect Blue
Psycho Goreman
Glorious
Moloch
A Lonely Place to Die
Carrie
The Suspicious Death of a Minor (and/or other giallos)
Mad God
Tetsu the Iron Man
The Babadook
I Am a Ghost
Prom Night
House
A Field in England
Basket Case
The Hills Have Eyes

Gonna cast my vote for Perfect Blue (more psychological horror), Broadcast Signal Intrusion (ditto), Mad God (it really is a marvel), Strange Color of Your Bodies Tears(this one is a trip), and a field in England (very slow burn but I loved it.)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

VROOM VROOM posted:

Psycho Goreman
Carrie
House
Basket Case
The Hills Have Eyes

These are all funny, weird and tense.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I've been playing returnal and I'm in the mood for outer space horror. Something that emphasizes how big and empty space is and how hosed you are if something goes wrong or you encounter something unknown. Spacewalks are scary too. Shots of empty space or bizarre alien structures, with a low pitch hum accompanying it.

Monsters are ok as long as it's not just a thing with teeth and claws, it needs to be unknowable or at least uniquely alien.

Movies kind of like this I've seen:

Event horizon
Sunshine
Gravity
Europa report
That movie with Ryan Reynolds and the space amoeba, I guess

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I've been playing returnal and I'm in the mood for outer space horror. Something that emphasizes how big and empty space is and how hosed you are if something goes wrong or you encounter something unknown. Spacewalks are scary too. Shots of empty space or bizarre alien structures, with a low pitch hum accompanying it.

Monsters are ok as long as it's not just a thing with teeth and claws, it needs to be unknowable or at least uniquely alien.

Event horizon
Sunshine
Gravity
Europa report

Might want to read the Three Body Problem trilogy, it’s mind boggling how hosed up the universe is in that story

If you can wait a couple years it’s being adapted into a Netflix series by the Game of Thrones dudes lol

Edit: Solaris (either the 2002 or 1972 version)

Supernova (2000) is kinda schlocky but it scratches the deep space itch. If you watch it make sure to follow it up by watching the alternate (superior) ending on YouTube

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 26, 2022

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Event horizon
Sunshine
Gravity
Europa report

2001 is almost too obvious to mention but it isn't listed in your post so just in case you haven't seen it, it's highly recommended.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Event horizon
Sunshine
Gravity
Europa report

I'd add Passengers, High Life and Moon to this list as the threat isn't monsters but various other things

as for monsters/creatures :

Pandorum
Cloverfield Paradox
Oblivion

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Event horizon
Sunshine
Gravity
Europa report

I'm one of those weirdos who liked Ad Astra and would recommend it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

I'd add Passengers

The existential horror of being trapped on a ship with an incel

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Event horizon
Sunshine
Gravity
Europa report
One more to add: Aniara.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Thanks guys! Some awesome looking recommendations; I've never heard of a good number of these. And I could stand to read a little more often...so maybe I'll check out the Three Body Problem too.

Yeah I've seen 2001 (and 2010), both great recommendations for what I'm after. I ought to watch them again, it's been a while. It's also been at least 10 years since I've seen either Solaris. If memory serves, I'd describe the mood of them as "contemplative", but I could be wrong...

Thanks again guys!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Event horizon
Sunshine
Gravity
Europa report

Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Half of Interstellar is people getting hosed over in space

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Thanks guys! Some awesome looking recommendations; I've never heard of a good number of these. And I could stand to read a little more often...so maybe I'll check out the Three Body Problem too.

Yeah I've seen 2001 (and 2010), both great recommendations for what I'm after. I ought to watch them again, it's been a while. It's also been at least 10 years since I've seen either Solaris. If memory serves, I'd describe the mood of them as "contemplative", but I could be wrong...

Thanks again guys!

If you want a quick 15 minute hit of scaring/depressing your soul thinking about the vastness of space:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDF-N3A60DE

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Azhais posted:

The existential horror of being trapped on a ship with an incel

that's what i'm saying. there's a fan edit called Passengers : Aurora which really cranks this up and makes Chris Pratt's character look like a maniac

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wasn't the original blacklist script supposed to be pretty solid? What changed once it went into production?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

If you want a quick 15 minute hit of scaring/depressing your soul thinking about the vastness of space:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDF-N3A60DE

Welp this made me feel like an insignificant spec...thought to be honest, once you keep adding zeroes to a number, it starts getting too abstract to really grasp it. Still a sobering video :stare:

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
We're doing a movie night tonight. Any recent-ish Korean film recommendations?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Parasite

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Spermando posted:

We're doing a movie night tonight. Any recent-ish Korean film recommendations?

Burning is very good. Also depending how much room recent-ish allows for, Memories of Murder and 3-Iron.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Seconding Memories of Murder

Also if you have two hours and want to see a scandalous Korean noir movie made in the brief couple of years when they had a break in their version of the Hays code, check out The Housemaid. Only recently got restored and republished

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J_HTZFC32s

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Thanks for the recommendations. We ended up watching Forgotten, which was... Not great!