Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

Thread, I need help finding something for friends&family Movie Night. I have some past successes/failures to help triangulate a bit:

-Repo Man went over well, with a great soundtrack and generally cool stoner attitude, while Tuff Turf was met with open derision
-Phantom of the Paradise was a favorite, while Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was hated but in a way that made for an amazing viewing experience
-Theater of Blood and Shaw Bros. martial arts films are probably the comfortable upper limit on violence/gore
-Ideally less offputtingly horny than Barbarella
-My Dinner with Andre was rejected as an option, because while unquestioningly a good movie it demands attention to a point that stifles conversation

a few double-features or alternates for each other:

Drive / Thief
Hi Mom / Anguish
King of Comedy / Network

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Asterite34 posted:

Thread, I need help finding something for friends&family Movie Night. I have some past successes/failures to help triangulate a bit:

-Repo Man went over well, with a great soundtrack and generally cool stoner attitude, while Tuff Turf was met with open derision
-Phantom of the Paradise was a favorite, while Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was hated but in a way that made for an amazing viewing experience
-Theater of Blood and Shaw Bros. martial arts films are probably the comfortable upper limit on violence/gore
-My Dinner with Andre was rejected as an option, because while unquestioningly a good movie it demands attention to a point that stifles conversation

These people seem cool, so they should watch these cool movies:

Streets of Fire
Popcorn
House (1977)
Tampopo
The Warriors
Hairspray (1988)
Time After Time
Matinee

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

a few double-features or alternates for each other:

Drive / Thief
Hi Mom / Anguish
King of Comedy / Network

Lol hi mom

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai
Time Bandits
Highlander

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hmm, after some consideration, I think giving the guests a choice between Footloose and Streets of Fire is the right call, give 'em a selection of tone on opposite ends of the "it's the 80s but also sorta the 50s?" spectrum.

Plus both films came out in 1984, so it works with my brother's recent 40th birthday!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'm gonna throw out Lair Of the White Worm as a very good time.

It's got a baby Hugh Grant cutting an old lady in half with a claymore and a Dr. Who playing a Scottish stereotype ; it's a very fun time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That almost made the cut of my list, too. A definite recommend for a crowd who can get a bit weird.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm gonna throw out Lair Of the White Worm as a very good time.

It's got a baby Hugh Grant cutting an old lady in half with a claymore and a Dr. Who playing a Scottish stereotype ; it's a very fun time.

Lair of the White Worm does kick rear end but it is at least as horny as Barbarella.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Repo Men. Just to confuse everyone

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Gripweed posted:

Lair of the White Worm does kick rear end but it is at least as horny as Barbarella.

It's weird British horniness though. Much less overt.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Bloodsport

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Definitely gonna keep Dr Phibes in the back pocket for Halloween. Lair of the White Worm will be reserved for when I want to make them uncomfortable

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Asterite34 posted:

Flash loving Gordon

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Having just watched Game Night, I strongly recommend Game Night as a crowd pleasing good time.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Asterite34 posted:

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

drat, didn't know this existed as it's own thing, but now you have to try Yellow Submarine if you haven't already.
Also, maybe UHF.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

Flash loving Gordon

Be prepared to have that theme song stuck in your head for days though

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

If My Dinner With Andre meant you're courting some arthouse/avant-garde tries if they don't have too much dialogue or intellectualizing, that's hard but doable because Daisies and Stroszek are a cinch.

Last Year at Marienbad is a harder sell but could work if you prep people for a play-as-you-go-along movie interpretation game. Unlike some Lynch or Bunuel weird movies, it has not just one but more than one workable coherent interpretation, so you can have them fight like pokemon. Plus a certain plot element should be cocaine for math nerds and has inspired a 1962 computer game.

Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles is the ultimate reach, high risk/high reward, if you can get the time commitment from people. Introduce it with only, "the top critics voted this the best movie ever," then let it roll. Sounded like you were open to potential ironic or hate-watching, as a CYA thing. I feel like a prankster just suggesting this, and that's exactly why it might work for you.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Onomarchus posted:

Last Year at Marienbad is a harder sell but could work if you prep people for a play-as-you-go-along movie interpretation game. Unlike some Lynch or Bunuel weird movies, it has not just one but more than one workable coherent interpretation, so you can have them fight like pokemon. Plus a certain plot element should be cocaine for math nerds and has inspired a 1962 computer game.

You then have to watch it every year again so you can get together and go “remember last year, when we watched last year at mariendbad”

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve got a real soft spot for 50s sci-fi, but I’ve seen all the standards (Forbidden Planet, Body Snatchers, Them!, Day the Earth Stood Still, This Island Earth, etc.) dozens of times already.

Looking for stuff that’s lesser known but still notable. Bonus points if it skews more space/alien themed than giant bugs or atomic horrors (though those recs are still welcome).

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
You’ve probably seen some of these, but: The Thing (as good as the remake), It! (the same basic plot as Alien), the Quatermass movies (influential UK SF), The Angry Red Planet (trippy Mars movie), The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (inspiration for Godzilla), Robot Monster (infamous low-budget goofy movie), The Monolith Monsters (very unique plot), The 27th Day (aliens give humans the power to destroy the world and we see what they do), The Giant Claw (goofiest monster ever), Fiend Without a Face (one of the first movies with explicitly gory effects), Invisible Invaders (pre-NotLD zombie movie).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The creature wasn't nice

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve got a real soft spot for 50s sci-fi, but I’ve seen all the standards (Forbidden Planet, Body Snatchers, Them!, Day the Earth Stood Still, This Island Earth, etc.) dozens of times already.

Looking for stuff that’s lesser known but still notable. Bonus points if it skews more space/alien themed than giant bugs or atomic horrors (though those recs are still welcome).

About fifteen years ago a pound shop in my town started selling a ton of these 50s horror sci-fi monster movies on DVD. I bought as many as I could but I've somehow lost them all through several different house moves :(

The Brain That Wouldn't Die
Attack of the Crab Monsters
King of the Zombies
Indestructible Man
The Thing From Another World
The Killer Shrews

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Black Scorpion really doesn't skimp on the Willis O'Brien stop-motion scorpions
The Deadly Mantis is really solid and well-paced, and has some spooky-rear end scenes
The Mole People is a really excellent movie outside of the studio-mandated ending
Caltiki has some really excellent visuals and atmosphere
Monster on the Campus is a ton of fun
The Man from Planet X is gorgeous and spooky and incredibly unique
Fiend Without a Face is totally ridiculous and fun with stop-motion brains

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Planet of the Vampires

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

www.badmovies.org/movies is a pretty fun review site of these kinds of films.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Matinee (1993) is not a creature feature, but it is about those kinds of movies. Possibly something you'd be interested in that went under your radar.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
To my great shame I had never seen one of Jackie Chan's Hong Kong films prior to watching Police Story which I loved. What else from that era is worth checking out besides the obvious Police Story sequels?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Purple Monkey posted:

To my great shame I had never seen one of Jackie Chan's Hong Kong films prior to watching Police Story which I loved. What else from that era is worth checking out besides the obvious Police Story sequels?

For HK movies of the same general era:
Dragons Forever (1988)
Wheels on Meals (1984)
Project A (1983)
Project A Part 2 (1987)

If you want to go a little earlier:
Fearless Hyena (1979)
The Young Master (1980)

If you want to go a little later:
Operation Condor (1991)
Crime Story (1993)
Drunken Master 2 (1994)

Out of that whole list, I’d probably say Dragons Forever is easily the best, followed closely by Project A and Drunken Master 2.

And if you end up liking Dragons Forever, you could also check out movies with costars Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao that have a pretty similar vibe to Jackie’s stuff since they’re all friends who came up in the industry together.

These are solid intros:
Righting Wrongs (1986)
Roundabout (1979)

HK action from that period is a ton of fun.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Purple Monkey posted:

Most of them? I'd actually rank Police Story as relatively mid in the complete list of his work. As in, it's solid but it wouldn't be one of the first ones I'd point someone towards.

Who Am I?, Operation Condor and Twin Dragons are three personal favorites, but you can pretty much go ham he's done a lot of great stuff.

And if you somehow haven't seen The Legend of Drunken Master GO AND WATCH THE LEGEND OF DRUNKEN MASTER RIGHT NOW.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Who Am I is one of my favorites. You see Jackie Chan really trying to stretch as an actor, and it's cute to watch. And the ending sequence is as good as anything he's done.

I think I'ma watch it this afternoon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

And if you somehow haven't seen The Legend of Drunken Master GO AND WATCH THE LEGEND OF DRUNKEN MASTER RIGHT NOW.

Worth pointing out that Legend of the Drunken Master isn't the same thing as Drunken Master.

Legend of the Drunken Master(also known as Drunken Master II) is the sequel to Drunken Master.

Hong Kong action films got their hooks into me a few year ago and so far I've bought the Police Story Trilogy, Dragons Forever, the recent Criterion release of Heroic Trio, and an In The Line of Duty box set. A bunch of those were blind buys and not a single one of them has made me regret it.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 2, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Worth pointing out that Legend of the Drunken Master isn't the same thing as Drunken Master.

Legend of the Drunken Master(also known as Drunken Master II) is the sequel to Drunken Master.

Hong Kong action films got their hooks into me a few year ago and so far I've bought the Police Story Trilogy, Dragons Forever, the recent Criterion release of Heroic Trio, and an In The Line of Duty box set. A bunch of those were blind buys and not a single one of them has made me regret it.

Good call. Drunken Master, the original, is pretty dang good but it's a more classical kung fu movie with the tropes that are more familiar to that genre, e.g. awesome/hilarious training sequences. Legend of Drunken Master is the sequel that has minimal continuity besides "This is Wong Fei Hung, he is the master of Drunken Boxing" and is better in pretty much every way.

Honestly, outside of some dated/cross-cultural stuff because they're 30+ years old and from Hong Kong (e.g. not the best time or place to be a woman) they all old the gently caress up. I think if all of us got into it we'd bicker a lot about which ones are the """best"""" but we'd be mostly arguing which ones are A-, A or A+ according to our own tastes : you gotta really look to find a bad a Jackie Chan movie from the Hong Kong era.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, Jackie was such a perfectionist back then that even the lesser entries still have absolutely incredible stunts and setpieces in them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
One thing Jackie usually seems to deliver on is an outstanding showdown/finale at the end. Like, for me Project A would be like a C+ movie but then the big showdown between Jackie/Sammo/Yuen vs. the head pirate is an A++ fight so it kinda elevates the whole movie.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Meals on Wheels is a fantastic action comedy, shocked this wasn't a bigger hit

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I’m looking for Coast to Coast AM style horror movies. That’s horror movies that cover the same sort of topics, (aliens, skinwalkers, secret government projects, etc) or that give you that same feeling where the night is deep and full of mystery.

So far I’ve thought of
The Vast of Night
The McPherson Tape
Legend of Boggy Creek
Phoenix Forgotten

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Blair Witch

Mothman Prophecies

Trick r Treat anthologies

Really, a lot of found footage horror applies to a greater or lesser degree.

The Tenant doesn't fulfill the letter of the request but seems a match to the spirit of what you're looking for.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Blair Witch and Mothman deffo, but I feel like Trick r Treat is a little too over the top. There has to be a degree of verisimilitude.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Communion?

Nope and No One Will Save You come to mind but don’t have exactly the same vibe as the others you mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fire in the Sky