Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Ornithology posted:

Any ideas for lesser known dark crime thrillers/mysteries? Bonus points if it has a neo-noir feel. I'm thinking in the vein of Memento, Seven, Prisoners, maybe Zodiac? I've seen all the popular Korean ones too.

I don't know if any of these are super obscure but the Pusher trilogy, A Prophet, Blue Ruin, Elle, Good Time, Killing Them Softly, Animal Kingdom, Martha May Marcy Marlene, maybe Dead Man's Shoes?

Seconding Cure. I guess you've already seen Burning but it's good enough that I'm mentioning it in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

To Live and Die in LA and Point Blank are solid recommendations. I'd also add Straight Time, Blood Simple, Get Carter, as well as Drive if it's not utterly obvious. Maybe Nightcrawler?

There are a few other directions you could go beyond that really. I think a lot of Mann's focus on the criminal as amoral hyperskilled professional came from the wave of French post-noir crime films, which didn't lack for mood or style. If subtitles aren't an obstacle you might check out Jean-Pierre Melville's work, e.g. Le Doulos, Le Samourai, Le Cercle Rouge.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Lester Shy posted:

Looking for dreamy, nightmarish, Lynchian horror movies. It's a really specific request, but I love stories where a character passes from the real world into a dream/purgatory/whatever. Things like Jacob's Ladder, Inland Empire, As Above So Below, the 2nd and 3rd seasons of Channel Zero, Baskin, etc.

Kill List for sure, Videodrome, maybe I'm reaching here but also Barton Fink and The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I've got serious Epstein brain. I've seen JFK and Eyes Wide Shut recently, what's next?

If you're up for dark comic takes on the genre, Under The Silver Lake has some solid Epstein vibes and Winter Kills is an interesting counterpart to JFK.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

vincentpricesboner posted:

Looking for more movies like Chinatown. Want high production values and literary themes and great acting / directing. Being a "detective movie" is a plus but not a requirement. Similiar ones I've seen and enjoyed : Seven, LA Confidential,Memories of Murder.

The Conversation, Klute, Night Moves, Burning, The Conformist.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

On a recommendation from a recent Cum Town episode I saw The Long Good Friday and Day of the Jackal. Both were great, I'm amazed I'd never heard of either one. Any similar movies, which I guess would be 70s/80s European crime thrillers?

Z
State of Siege
Army of Shadows
Le cercle rouge
Get Carter
The Hit

Also this is cheating but in terms of American directors working with that sort of material/feel:
French Connection 2 (I think it's really underrated, although admittedly you'd probably want to see the first one if you haven't)
Sorcerer

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Akapursch posted:

I'm after post-90s films that try to be cool yet are somewhat grounded (dreamy/absurd from a grounded standpoint is fine, just not outright sci-fi - Fight Club would pass, but The Matrix would not). That's kinda subjective but hopefully the examples below get across what that means to me. Try-hard "cheesy" cool is fine. I find Payback to be incredibly cheesy, but for some reason it just works for me (despite Gibson's real-life antics souring the rest of his filmography for me). Also doesn't matter if it's an "obvious" one, below is all I can think of currently and I don't mind rewatches of stuff I've simply forgotten (besides anything else Tarantino that isn't on the list, I'm aware of all of them).

I'm not really au fait with foreign cinema, but any recommendations would be absolutely welcome (particularly anything French, German or Korean). Also, anything with cool women as the focus (Jackie Brown and The Long Kiss Goodnight are the outliers in my list below for this).

Stuff I can think of that I've seen and enjoyed (in order of preference):

Payback
Snatch
Jackie Brown
The Nice Guys
The American
The Big Lebowski
Pulp Fiction
The Ocean's Series
Leon
Drive
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
The Long Kiss Goodnight

I'm sensing you're generally after crime films so: La Haine, A Prophet, Layer Cake, Grosse Pointe Blank. The King of New York, Fresh, Clockers, Ronin, Amores Perros.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Dekko posted:

I'd like to watch some Westerns, but mountain/snowy ones. I can think of The Revenant, Ravenous, Hateful Eight and maybe the True Grit remake off the top of my head.

McCabe and Mrs Miller is a great one.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm looking for good and/or entertaining movies from 1986, that I haven't seen.

https://letterboxd.com/frankboothfan/films/year/1986/by/name/

I've seen 62, not to say you've gotta peruse that page there, but if not I've seen I think the usual big ones and cult classics etc. But I'm sure I'm missing cool stuff. I'm looking to watch at least 24 more, 86 in 86 has a nice ring to it. A couple of them are anime video series but hey close enough. I've at least gotta hit 70.

There are some other years I'm looking to bone up on, but figure I'll start there. Plus I just like 86, it's got Blue Velvet, Transformers: The Movie, what couldn't it do. Also, if you were gonna recommend a cool movie and it turns out it wasn't from 86, feel free to post that anyway. I know this is broad, but I got quotas to fill here.

I really want to second Manhunter and Name of the Rose, which are films I really love, plus add:

- True Stories - David Byrne of Talking Heads fame presents a quirky portrait of small-town Texas folk
- Down By Law - Lowkey Jim Jarmusch indie comedy about three men jailed in New Orleans who plot their escape
- She's Gotta Have It - Early Spike Lee about a free spirited Brooklyn woman who has three very different men each trying to win her affection
- The Color of Money - Martin Scorsese directs Paul Newman reprising his poolhall shark role from The Hustler after 25 years, with Tom Cruise as his cocky protege
- At Close Range - Sean Penn is a troubled teen who's brought under the wing of his career criminal father, played by Christopher Walken

The Mosquito Coast is also one with a positive rep that I've been meaning to see.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

SkunkDuster posted:

I watched The Florida Project yesterday and really enjoyed it. I also liked KIDS, Gummo, and Requiem For A Dream. Another good one is the 1981 made for tv adaptation of The Gin Game with Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy. The common theme here is "slice of life" type movies that don't follow typical movie tropes and don't necessarily have happy endings or any resolution - somewhere between a documentary and movie. Is there a genre for this type of film? Any recommendations on similar films?

I'd recommend Fish Tank and American Honey from Andrea Arnold, Naked from Mike Leigh, and La Haine from Mathieu Kassovitz. Also seconding Tangerine if you haven't seen it.

piratepilates posted:

So now I'm curious about movies that play up the voyeurism aspect, particularly with the camera work playing up the voyeurism aspect, where it feels like you're watching something you shouldn't be. I'm thinking of something like (the excellent) The Conversation, with the intro being a super telephoto lens spying on someone with the park, and the movie being focused around a guy whose job is to just snoop in on other people without them knowing. Anyone have any recommendations on that vein? With or without the previous criteria.

Maybe obvious but Blue Velvet, Klute, Being John Malkovich and Peeping Tom? I'd also say In The House and Andrea Arnold again, especially Red Road.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Professor Shark posted:

I rewatched Eastern Promises last night and could use some more Russian Mafia films. Any good ones?

I don't know of that much that focuses on them, but I'd suggest Little Odessa, and (if you'd like an actual Russian one) Brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

ninjewtsu posted:

what are the good comedy movies of the last like, i dunno, 5 years? anything newer than/contemporary to what we do in the shadows would be good

These are in categories I made up just now, each arranged in rough descending order of how confident I am that they're comedies (some are probably more comedy-dramas). Apologies if these aren't your tastes.

Just generally loose and fun and violent
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
The Nice Guys
Wild Tales

Dark and morbid European things around ageing and/or dying
Death of Stalin
Toni Erdmann
The Lobster
The Favourite

Baumbach/Anderson things
Grand Budapest Hotel
Isle of Dogs