Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Slaapaav posted:

i watched the island of lost souls and the testament of dr mabuse today. recommend me movies from the 30s to watch. i have the petrified forest lined up for now (mostly because of leslie howard being amazing in 49th paralel).

Dracula, Frankenstein, Gone With the Wind, Wizard of Oz, All Quiet on the Western Front, Modern Times, City Lights, Bride of Frankenstein, Scarface, The 39 Steps, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Tonight's movie options. Never seen any of these:
a) Winter's Bone
b) The French Connection
c) The Untouchables

French Connection.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's kind of amazing that I Am Legend has been adapted into a movie three times (four, if you count Asylum's take on it, I suppose), and yet none of them have had the balls to stick to the original ending.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

The Will Smith movie is pretty great if you watch the proper cut without the bullshit theatrical ending for assholes.

It's not much of a horror movie, though.

Isn't the theatrical ending closer to the book? At least Neville kills himself in the theatrical cut while in the director's cut he gets a "drives off into the sunrise" ending or something like that.

Maybe my memory's shot again, I don't know.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lester Shy posted:

Looking for dreamy, nightmarish, Lynchian horror movies. It's a really specific request, but I love stories where a character passes from the real world into a dream/purgatory/whatever. Things like Jacob's Ladder, Inland Empire, As Above So Below, the 2nd and 3rd seasons of Channel Zero, Baskin, etc.

Mulholland Drive if that has somehow passed you by.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pospysyl posted:

What are some good pastoral movies, that is, movies about life on a farm or about farming? Babe or Days of Heaven are good examples.

Witness. :v:

Field of Dreams and The Horse Whisperer are legit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I've never seen any of the Roger Moore Bond movies, except for one scene I think from Octopussy where he holds two women underwater in a pool literally just by placing a hand on top of each of their heads. Are any of them better than that or is this kind of nonsense the general vibe of 70s/80s Bond?

Moore starts off well, with Live and Let Die (though it's really weird seeing what is effectively a Bond-branded blaxploitation movie), then falls off a cliff with The Man with the Golden Gun. The Spy Who Loved Me is very good, though, but everything after that in the Moore era ranges from bad (Moonraker) to terrible (A View to a Kill is unwatchable, though it has a killer theme song).

The two Dalton movies from the '80s are essential watching, though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

regulargonzalez posted:

What are some movies where the movie is much more than or very different from its reputation? I'm thinking like Rocky, where it's not a boxing movie (there's like 3 minutes of boxing in the movie), Jaws, Psycho.

Ghostbusters is thought of as a sci-fi action fest but it's a dry comedy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Those are good suggestions, though I'm a little burned out on zombie movies. I'm looking for a "my god they've broken through" kind of vibe. Aliens would be perfect, but I'm hoping to find something I haven't seen before

The battle of Helm's Deep in The Two Towers qualifies. The original Assault on Precinct 13, definitely. Seven Samurai would qualify, as would The Mist. Zulu (1964, with Michael Caine) is a bit problematic, racially, but it's great.

Left-field suggestion: Cujo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pilchenstein posted:

I could use some recommendations for stuff to watch with my mam during quarantine. Stuff we've watched lately that she enoyed: The Nice Guys (she thought Gosling was hilarious), M:I Fallout, Inside Man, Collateral, Taking of Pelham 123 (the original), Open Range, Zodiac (though she wasn't happy that they didn't catch him at the end lol). Stuff she said was "ok": Fury Road, Nolan's Batman trilogy, the Bourne trilogy, Blood Diamond, 21 Bridges. Stuff she hated: Inception was the worst film she's ever seen :v:

TV wise, she also really enjoyed Elementary, Justified and Bosch, if that helps.

The 3:10 to Yuma remake from a few years back.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sartana posted:

I'm on a rivalry movie kick. Watched The Duellists and Rush past couple nights. Looking for anything similar. Them being historical rivalries are a bonus, but not necessary, I'm just looking for any movies about two dudes who loving hate each other over an escalating grudge.

The Prestige? Ford vs. Ferrari? Amadeus?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

therattle posted:

There Will Be Blood kind of has this. Days of Thunder!

Days of Thunder is so schlocky but the wheelchair race tickles me every time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

What's a really trippy mystery film? An investigation that just gets weird. Ideally supernatural, but open to straighter stuff.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for movies where there’s a live performance of some kind going catastrophically wrong and everyone behind the scenes is scrambling to fix it? I’m thinking screwball comedies like

Radioland Murders
Noises Off!
The episode of Frasier with the radio play

Anyone got anything like this?

Waiting for Guffman.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

morestuff posted:

Would love any recommendations for moody, low-key scores. Thinking in the David Shire, Reznor, Greenwood lane. Bonus if it's on Spotify.

Nick Cave and Warren Ellis' work on The Proposition, as well as The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, is sublime.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

I despeartely need a third in this trilogy. They are two of the best films of the century so far and just exude incredible moods.

I mean, Cave only wrote the score for Jesse James, but I'll absolutely go to bat for The Proposition being an incredible piece of cinema in essentially every respect.

It bums me out that the next Hillcoat / Cave movie score & screenplay collaboration was Lawless, because that movie was just ... not good, not good at all.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

magic cactus posted:

Howdy me again.

I recently watched the Edward Norton/Ben Stiller rom-com "Keeping the Faith" on a whim and was surprised by how much I liked it. I really enjoyed how it portrayed religion as like... important but another part of life, and how it was about adults trying to handle the complications between higher callings and romance in a pretty nuanced and believable way up until the predictable rom-com mandated ending. Are there any other movies out there that portray kind of the push-pull between being a human being and being religious? I can only think of "First Reformed" "Diary of A Country Priest" and maaybe "Winter Light" with "Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring" kind of skirting the line. Doesn't need to be a rom-com.

Thanks!

The Cardinal by Otto Preminger.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, poo poo, how could I forget Wings of Desire? Absolute stone-cold classic by Wim Wenders.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Roumba posted:

On the more "scary-to-kids-but-lol-for-adults" end of the spectrum: Event Horizon

I'll echo that recommendation. Parts of that movie still freak me out, and it's probably the best thing Paul W.S. Anderson has made. A shame that he wanted to release his director's cut on Blu-ray but discovered that the elements had been lost.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Looking for more European crime/political thrillers that I haven't seen yet. The Long Good Friday, Day of the Jackal, Z, The Battle of Algiers were all really good. Le Cercle Rouge not bad, did not dig State of Siege or Get Carter as much. What am I missing? Any newer examples of this genre that still have the same "feel" to them?

If you haven't seen In Bruges, then see it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

Money Plane

Do not listen to this person. I know everyone likes to lol at that clip of Edge and Kelsey Grammer, but that movie is terrible.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

What are some good cult movies? I mean movies featuring cults, not movies with cult followings. Although movies about cults that also have cult followings are fine.

The Wicker Man.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

VROOM VROOM posted:

it seems there is a storied tradition of having a movie say "yo gently caress robots" and then a sequel is like #notallrobots, like The Matrix, Alien, and The Terminator. Any other good/well-known ones?

Arguably some of the later live-action Transformers movie fall into this mold.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about military/law enforcement black ops: specifically military and or law enforcement operating in countries they're not supposed to be in/not allowed in.

Some examples of what I've seen:

Sicario
The Kingdom
Zero Dark Thirty
Narcos (I'm looking for movies, not TV, but it's a good example)

A lot of this genre is centered on the US, which im fine with feel free to rec those, but also feel free to rec movies that have nothing to do with the US as well. Any time period/conflict. Thanks!

Clear & Present Danger definitely qualifies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The National Treasure movies are a lot of fun.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Dead Snow movies, then. :v:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I've been playing returnal and I'm in the mood for outer space horror. Something that emphasizes how big and empty space is and how hosed you are if something goes wrong or you encounter something unknown. Spacewalks are scary too. Shots of empty space or bizarre alien structures, with a low pitch hum accompanying it.

Monsters are ok as long as it's not just a thing with teeth and claws, it needs to be unknowable or at least uniquely alien.

Movies kind of like this I've seen:

Event horizon
Sunshine
Gravity
Europa report
That movie with Ryan Reynolds and the space amoeba, I guess

Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Origami Dali posted:

Looking for any good movies with a similar mood or tone to The Verdict. It's got a very particular kind of sadness to it. About lost opportunity, growing old and being weary from the weight of a harsh world, and doing one last good deed despite the odds stacked against you. It's a melancholy movie that is weirdly cozy. McCabe & Mrs. Miller is a bit in that vein, I think. Anything else?

Children of Men, maybe? Obviously Se7en comes to mind. Wonder Boys, maybe.

Edit: Mangold's remake of 3:10 to Yuma would qualify. As would The Proposition.

Timby fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 14, 2022

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

oceanside posted:

Can anyone recommend some movies with what you might call 'old timey dialogue'? Something like Deadwood (which I understand is a unique exaggeration of Old West ways of speaking) or period movies like Lincoln or The Hateful Eight. Ideally I'm looking for stuff that isn't a Western. Thank you!

It's an Australian Western, but The Proposition.

Which is worth watching just because it's loving excellent.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for fun uplifting/cathartic anti-colonialist movies in the style of RRR. Doesn't have to be an action movie, but I'm looking for something vibrant and entertaining rather than super serious.

My Neighbor Totoro. Paddington. Amélie. School of Rock.

Edit: Sing Street. (Everyone should watch Sing Street.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Proposition.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Wings of Desire

Yeah, this. My favorite Wenders film by a country mile.

The sequel, Faraway, So Close!, isn't nearly as good, but it's still very watchable.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tea Bone posted:

Just watched A Dark Song and loved it. Can anyone recommend any more movies on their which depict realistic occult lore?

The VVitch?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

regulargonzalez posted:

Anyone know if there's a new Michael Movie in the works?

He's trying to get the financing together to adapt the book sequel to Heat that he wrote. Ferrari, with Adam Driver as Enzo Ferrari, comes out in December.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bald Stalin posted:

I was hoping to get some recommendations for epic high production value period films where in the end everyone sort of loses. I love Amadeus, There will be blood, Barry lyndon. Sorry if this is too vague. Thank you!

The Proposition.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bald Stalin posted:

Oh yeah this is one of my favorites. Both beautiful then horribly ugly. A film you can physically touch and Feel.

I mean, the Godfather trilogy counts if you haven't watched the movies in a while. No one ends up happy in those and the production values are beyond spectacular.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

whiskas posted:

I've been living under a rock for the last 15 years as far as movies go. The last movie I saw in theaters was The Dark Knight. I went back and saw it 3 times. And ever since then I started to lose touch with cinema. Recommend me notable movies since 2008.

I prefer great story over great execution. A movie can have some crustiness to it as long as the story holds up and the characters are strong. I abhore cliche, tropey, or predictable plots, I lose interest very quickly. I have a lot of fun with stories that surprise or manipulate the viewer. I generally love Tarantino movies with the exception of Kill Bill, I hate more mainstream PG superhero movies, or any action movie where the protagonist has excessive plot armor. I don't enjoy horror, but tragedies intrigue me. As far as comedy, the toilet scene in Dumb and Dumber made me laugh hysterically to the point of tears, to give you an idea. I have a soft spot for sci-fi and historical stories.

Dredd.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

kiimo posted:

It should have been All You Need Is Kill. But the Dark Knight rear end in a top hat shooter in the Denver theater ruined that

How on Earth can that be true, when the Denver shooting was in summer 2012 and Edge of Tomorrow came out in summer 2014?