Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Deathgasm
Knights of Badassdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Seconding Annihilation.
Ex Machina is also great.
While not as unsettling as those two I think you might enjoy Upgrade as well, it has a few very nasty moments.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

Alright, this might be a weird request. I can't play the video game Payday 2 anymore because of motion sickness. Lately, I've been especially nostalgic for the ol' 'Cop-Clicker' so, I watched Heat for the first time on Pluto.tv to see if I would enjoy it. I did, though it was a little more 'human' than I expected. For background, Inception is probably my favorite movie. That movie is a lot of things but I would not describe it as particularly 'human' and that suits me just fine.

I wanted to see more heist movies, preferably with a lean towards action. Bonus points for a literal bank robbery, ludicrous waves of cops, being clever/cerebral and/or having good visceral action sequences.

I looked at the Wikipedia page for Heist Movies, and could just as easily start there, but the problem is: I am fairly squeamish and I don't want to see movies with lurid depictions of graphic fleshy gore or people squirming around in agony. For instance, (spoilers for 1995's Heat) most of the blood in Heat was fine, like where it's blood on shirts when dudes get shot, but seeing a character with visible slit wrists bothered me. Resources like MPAA ratings or so-called 'parents guides' don't always cover enough, which is why I'm asking here.

I have access to Netflix and Disney+, but feel free to suggest others.

Den of Thieves is a mixed bag, but Gerard Butler is hilarious in it and it has an amazing shoot-out that I consider (don't boo me) on par with Heat.
Wrath of Man has too many plotlines, but there is some decent heisting in there and being a Jason Statham movie it deffo focuses on the action.
Ambulance is very, very Michael Bay, but if you want heists, action and dozens of cop cars flying around in Blues Brothers-like crashes it doesn't get any better.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Ibexaz posted:

I watched The Item and it was the worst rear end piece of rear end movie I've ever seen and I need other movies that are clearly trying to ape Tarantino's style of cool characters with witty dialogue, bonus points if the writer/director in the leading role

Lowlife
First Love

I quite enjoyed both.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

What are some decent "spooky medieval action fantasy" movies? Think like 13th warrior, the bit in Greta and Hansel where the huntsman is briefly present, that recent Viking movie based on the old tale that also influenced Hamlet, etc.

I guess another way to put it would be stuff like the spookier parts of LotR?

I'll take any decent B movie recommendations, I figure I've already seen anything that would be called truly excellent, like The Green Knight.

Beowulf & Grendel is a mixed bag, but the things that work are great.
Half the crew nearly died filming it, there is a documentary Wrath of Gods about the hardships during production.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Gripweed posted:

A discussion about Singular Point in the Kaiju thread has me craving movies that demand you pay attention and reward you for it. Movies where the creator is trying to get something very complex across but if you follow along you'll go "Holy poo poo!" when something happens.

The only examples that I can come up with are Godzilla: Singular Point, the part in Primer where they explain what the box does, maybe the novel Blindsight and the Chinese Box moment.

They don't have to be sci-fi, Those are just the ones that spring to mind at the moment.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy does not your hold hand and expects you to pick up on a lot of subtle moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

To be clear, I did that entirely via searching. The movie could be a hidden gem or absolute dogshit, I have no idea.

Juan of the Dead is a lot of fun.
Pretty sure I missed a lot of the subtext, but there is enough satire in there that I kept wondering how they managed to get that made in Cuba.