Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Ozon's The Double Lover is a loving riot, and his earlier film Swimming Pool is fun too. De Palma's Femme Fatale likewise. I remember not caring for Dream Lover with James Spader and Mädchen Amick when I watched it, but it's stayed in my mind far longer than I ever would've expected, and I honestly think I'd really like it were I to revisit it, even with all its issues. I've always had a soft spot for Two Moon Junction, as well, even though it has a really bad rep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

1960s flicks that are fun, flirty, and a bit sexy? Any genre, ideally European but not necessarily.

regulargonzalez posted:

It is impossible for any movie to fit your description better than Breathless

A Woman Is a Woman, too. Also this run of four from Rohmer's Six Moral Tales: The Collectors, My Night at Maud's, Claire's Knee (actually 1970, but still completely tied in with Rohmer's late-60s output, to be fair), Cleo in the Afternoon (actually 1972, but likewise). Some of them might be a bit more serious than fun, perhaps, but they're definitely all flirty and sexy, and all eminently watchable. Maud's, in particular, is fabulous. Breakfast at Tiffany's and The Graduate if you head stateside.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Any recommendations for documentaries about weird people?

Stuff like Finders Keepers, I Think We're Alone Now, Chicken People, (sorta) The King of Kong, Polka King, The Man Who Would be King, that kind of stuff. I feel like I've rooted through most of that genre, but I also don't know anything about movies.

Good chance you'll have seen some of these but:
Brother's Keeper
Beware of Mr. Baker
Vernon, Florida (somebody already covered a bunch of the other classic Morris stuff in this vein)
TV Junkie
Cutie and the Boxer
All of Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends is basically exactly that. And his Louis Meets... series, too, honestly
Hell, even Catfish

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Raspberry Bang posted:

I’m looking for a good heist film. Something with some clever planning, suspenseful execution, and not too obvious twist as a bonus.

Heist movies I’ve enjoyed:

Oceans eleven
Snatch
lock stock
Robbery
The bank job
The Sting

Rififi was the origin of many of the genre conventions, with good reason
The Killing
Also, a left-field answer, but The Wrong Trousers is built around an amazing heist

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

feedback loop posted:

Looking to watch a few movies with really notable representations of the American west coast in the mid-60s to early-70s, highly stylized or otherwise. Think The Long Goodbye and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, where the setting is front and center, for example. Documentary recommendations welcome as well. I'm especially interested in seeing something set in the Pacific Northwest.

Inherent Vice is this to a T. Makes me think of Almost Famous, too. I'd also suggest Monterey Pop, as a very West Coast answer to Woodstock -- lots of that countercultural psychedelia of the era.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Looking for movies or tv shows where an aged CEO-emeritus type is being pushed out due to age or being "out of touch" but outmaneuvers the opposition. Think Anthony Hopkins in Westworld S1 or Brian Cox in Succession

E: or if there's a TVTropes page for this please link it

Arbitrage (2012) has that setup, although with that caveat that I don't remember whether he outmanoeuvres the opposition in the end as it's been years since I saw it

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

What are the best World War 2 movies? They can be pro or anti war, doesn't matter.

Come and See, by quite some distance, for me

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

magic cactus posted:

Are there any other movies like Lost In Translation or Roman Holiday ( I guess Blue Valentine would also count, alongside 500 days of summer,) where the protagonist has a chance encounter with a person that clearly changes them in someway, but where they don't end up together? Doesn't have to necessarily be a rom-com.

This is basically Eric Rohmer's entire career. My Night at Maud's, Chloe in the Afternoon, A Tale of Springtime. The first part of his anthology film Rendezvous in Paris might be my single favourite example of him exploring this trope. I'd also throw in his The Winter's Tale, as the main beat of the film is about the fallout from losing contact with the person who changed you. Even though it ultimately ends up deviating from what you want. My favourite Rohmer.

There are also a good half dozen (or more) beyond that where they do end up together. Basically just watch anything he made!

magic cactus posted:

I've found every other movie on your list except (go figure) Cold War. Is there a year attached? I'm mostly getting hits for documentaries

2018, Pawel Pawlikowski film.

E: Oh, I almost forgot Three Colours: Red! Which is absolutely spectacular, and absolutely in the romance-meets-non-romance niche. I think his Dekalog VI would too. A Short Film About Love is an expanded version of that, and would also be worth watching, but has a different ending, which is probably less of what you want

Allyn fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 26, 2022

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

magic cactus posted:

Howdy me again.

I recently watched the Edward Norton/Ben Stiller rom-com "Keeping the Faith" on a whim and was surprised by how much I liked it. I really enjoyed how it portrayed religion as like... important but another part of life, and how it was about adults trying to handle the complications between higher callings and romance in a pretty nuanced and believable way up until the predictable rom-com mandated ending. Are there any other movies out there that portray kind of the push-pull between being a human being and being religious? I can only think of "First Reformed" "Diary of A Country Priest" and maaybe "Winter Light" with "Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring" kind of skirting the line. Doesn't need to be a rom-com.

Thanks!

Stations of the Cross (2014) is my favourite of this

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

married but discreet posted:

Looking for movies with extremely hare-brained plot twists, for example Serenity (2019), The Tall Man (2012), I See You (2019)

Absolutely, 100% Identity (2003). The recent Korean Netflix original The Call (2020). I dunno if A Perfect Getaway quite qualifies but I always loving hated its twist (just as I hated Serenity (2019)) so worth throwing out there, I guess :v:

Allyn fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 18, 2022

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Zoracle Zed posted:

what movies do 'extremely competent protagonist in over their head' as well as no country for old men?

Sicario

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

I think a similar question was asked itt but I cant remember.

I'm looking for some movies/docs about people who are the BEST at what they do. Like just top level professionals.

Some examples of what I liked that fit:

For All Mankind/Apollo 13/First Man

I love the professionalism and expertise.

Heat is another great example. Bank robbers at the absolute top tier.

The subject interests me less as much as "these people are the BEST at what they do"

You Were Never Really Here
Phantom Thread
Tampopo
Moneyball I guess?
The bank robbers in Spike Lee's Inside Man (although it's from the POV of the cops)
Atomic Blonde

On the documentary front, there's:
Jiro Dreams of Sushi (sushi chef)
Pina (modern dance choreography)
Senna (Formula One)
Maradona (football/soccer, same director as Senna), though I haven't seen it but I'd assume
Tony Hawk: Until the Wheels Fall Off (skateboarding), again, haven't seen but I think it must be
Kiss the Water (fly fishing flies. seriously, as weird as it might sound, this and Jiro are probably the closest to what you're asking that I'm gonna list, it's about someone who took a craft and elevated it into an artform)
Finding Vivian Maier (photography)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

VROOM VROOM posted:

Putting together my options for the October challenge, what are the must-watches on Shudder that I might not have seen yet? Funny, weird, tense, ~elevated~, if it's good I'll probably like it.

Obvious answers I've already seen: Saloum, Triangle, The House of the Devil, Housebound, Night of the Demons, The Endless

Slumber Party Massacre is good, a sorta feminist take on slashers (although I've always thought there's a disconnect between the script and the direction on that front). But Slumber Party Massacre 2 is shockingly amazing, with one of the biggest gaps between how bad I expected something to be and how good I thought it ended up being.
The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears is a helluva watch -- didn't really work for me, but is totally unforgettable nonetheless. If you like surrealism and/or giallo more than I do, could well be worth a look. If not then skip.
The Wailing is incredible, but you may well have already seen? One of the best Korean films of the 2010s, anyway.
Guessing if you've seen Triangle then you've probably seen Coherence, but if not, a real good one imo.
Spring is from the directors of The Endless, but it's not super horror-y. Obviously inflected with some, but it's not the primary tone or genre. Was right up my street though.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

oceanside posted:

I recently watched Hud and although it's quite different to them, it reminded me of The Night of the Hunter, Days of Heaven, The Straight Story, In the Heat of the Night and even Matewan in the sense that I felt I was getting some insight into rural life in the United States. I felt in these movies there was a richness in the detail--whether it be the vernacular language, the settings or the kinds of story they tell. This is in contrast to something like Gone with the Wind where rural life felt like more of a sterile backdrop than a real driving part of the story. If anyone is able to make sense of this incoherent line of thought, I wonder if you can think of any other movies that might be similar?

The Reflecting Skin for sure. I also really love Vinterberg's Far From the Madding Crowd, and would imagine the Schlesinger version is too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Climax, Coherence, The Descent, You're Next. Does Attack the Block count? Pretty limited cast to that, at least

Allyn fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 23, 2023