Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Anybody got recommendations for movies similar to The Insider or Michael Clayton? Movies that mine real suspense and excitement out of people having conversations in offices without a whole lot of traditional “action”. I’ve seen most of Pakula’s major films.

I'm a big fan of 'A Most Wanted Man', which is Le Carre again like 'Tinker Tailor'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for dark/bleak/sad movies set in the American South/Appalachia

Some of the stuff I've seen and am looking for similar vibes:

Blue Ruin
True Detective Season 1
Out Of the Furnace
Gummo
Hell or High Water

Neo-westerns are ok but I'm trying to avoid traditional westerns

Galveston.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Archonet posted:

I'm on a bit of a horror kick recently, and rewatched "1408" a few weeks ago. Really dig the idea of "malicious location that fucks with someone's sanity/perception of reality and time", as opposed to "spoopy ghost haunts place", the idea of a place itself just being some kind of outright malicious reality-twisting eldritch horror is interesting. Was hoping someone knew anything in the same vein. Slow burn is my jam, and preferably something well-received critically -- I don't hate so-bad-its-good campy horror movies, but they're easy to find.

Already seen Session 9, before anyone recommends it.

Oculus.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
If you dig found footage at all, the Grave Encounters might also scratch that itch.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I should’ve been more specific, I mean proper cults. Robes, sacrifices, a nude lady tied to an altar, that whole vibe. They don’t have to be satanic, but that kind of old school satansploitation thing.

Midsommar

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for movies about military/law enforcement black ops: specifically military and or law enforcement operating in countries they're not supposed to be in/not allowed in.

Assume you've seen it but Apocalypse Now fits the bill.

There's also Spartan, but a lot of that is domestic.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

I'm looking for movies like the Green Mile, where characters try to explore/figure out a spiritual phenomena or miracles.

I don't want horror movies or movies where people are ghost-hunting, but rather more thoughtful movies.

It doesn't have to be explicitly supernatural either: a character hunting for a miracle or phenomena and not finding it is also fine.

Documentaries are welcome too as well as normal movies.

I'd second Solaris, pretty much nails what you've described - admittedly I've only seen the English remake but I liked it.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Dessel posted:

I need to return to these at some point. I started the Night Manager but it didn't grab me hugely.

A Most Wanted Man is excellent.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Kill Bill Duology is sliding into the slot Jackie Brown used to occupy as the hipster best film now that the general consensus on Jackie Brown has been suitably reappraised. Personally I think Once upon a time...is his best but that's not super popular

Uh, I've never spoken to anyone that thinks that the Kill Bills are his best. I'd remember because that sure is an opinion.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
I just watched Hotel Artemis which was a pleasant surprise and a sneakily stacked cast.

Any recommendations for recent well made/sufficiently budgeted sci-fi that might have slid under the radar?

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Thanks friends, some solid recs. I'd seen Coherence and Triangle, very much my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

therattle posted:

In Order of Disappearance is fantastic.

I chucked this on without realising I'd already seen the remake, was a bit confused for a moment. Good flick.