Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Telebite posted:

I had seen Wim Wender's Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire back in the 1990's and I remember how much I really liked both films. For some reason, I never watched any more Wim Wenders movies. I have no idea why!

That is, until last night, when I decided to watch the full nearly 5 hour long cut of Until the End of the World that's currently up on The Criterion Channel. It was made in 1991 and takes place in 1999, so there's a lot of guesses as to what the future would be like, and save for the Internet, most things he got pretty accurate, even though it's off to a certain degree. Things like GPS and video phones for example, but some things are spot on, like widescreen flat panel HDTV displays.

The movie "felt" long but did not "feel" like 5 hours. If you have the time to watch it it's really no different than binging a 6 - 8 episode series of 40 - 50 minute long episodes.

Highly recommended!

If you're trying to get into Wenders, I'd really recommend The American Friend, which probably has a thicker sense of atmosphere than any other neo-noir I've ever seen, along with Bruno Ganz and Dennis Hopper acting off of each other. Definite must see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Origami Dali posted:

I just watched Sea of Love last week and rewatched Basic Instinct for the first time in decades and man I miss the days of erotic thrillers. It's like t&a Hitchcock. What are some really good ones?

Watch Body Double for a really thorough deconstruction of the whole genre, and also De Palma's best film.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

magic cactus posted:

Given the current hubbub about UFOs, I'm wondering if there are any movies about someone wanting to explore alien worlds because they don't feel like they belong in society, or something like that.

Best I can think of is *maybe* under the skin in a twisted sort of way, and another earth (if you take a loose reading on "alien worlds".) Wondering if I missed something.

I feel like Ad Astra has some of this in it. Also, if you can deal with the only available copies being bad VHS rips, there's a movie called UFOria with Harry Dean Stanton and Fred Ward that's all about lonely weirdos and UFOs. It's on YouTube, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz6pW2Ruxhg

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

FueledBySatan posted:

I wanna see the best found footage movie from the last tear or two. I usually keep up with them as they come out, but it's been a while. I recently have watched Noroi, Cult, and The Outwaters. I loved Grave Encounters, Deadstream, The Cleansing Hour, Hell House, Troll Hunter, and a ton of others.

It's four years old, but Gonjiam Haunted Asylum is pretty good. Also The Medium, from a couple years ago (tho it's a little long)

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm looking for good, quick-paced but not overly dark thrillers/mysteries. I want mystery and hunting for clues and lots of nuts and bolts investigation, but I'd prefer to stay out of horror or too much violence for the moment. Period pieces always a plus just cause I like them.

My vision board is kind of like Michael Clayton, The Ghost Writer, Pale Blue Eye. With the understanding that the off-screen rape in The Pale Blue Eye is pushing it as far as the amount of dark I want. As much of the movie as reasonably practical should be focused on the mechanics of finding out the secret mysteries. Cool puzzles are always appreciated.

If it's on one of the big streaming services that's a giant plus cause I can watch it tonight, but I'm not married to that.

If you haven't seen The Last of Sheila, you should definitely check it out, particularly if you liked Glass Onion - it's almost a cover version of Last of Sheila.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Looking for the best movies with the following premise: there’s between four and ten people stuck in a place where bad poo poo is happening but it’s impossible to leave. Alien, The Void, Cabin in the Woods, Event Horizon, Hateful Eight, Bad Times at the El Royale, that one oil rig movie, the m night shymalan one where there are three people in an elevator counts, Predator and Predators kinda but usually the space is more enclosed, what else is in this lane that I’m not thinking of? Saw 2, Cube I guess. I’m pretty sure there are some Westerns im not thinking of too.

I actually just spent all afternoon watching movies that fit this description lol. Coherence, The Invitation (2015) and The Laplace's Demon are all really good!

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Jippa posted:

I'd like to request a police procedural from the last 20-30 years.

Memories of Murder

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

magic cactus posted:

Anyone have any recs similar to vanishing point ('71 version?) Just watched it and it shot right up in the rankings in my favorites list. I've heard two lane blacktop is supposed to be similar, oddly enough what springs to mind is the shooting with Nicholson and McCabe and Mrs. Miller and maybe unforgiven as more meditative takes on genre fare.

It's incredibly obscure, but Hairpin Circus is probably the best of those It's the Early 70's And We're Driving To Cope With Our Alienation movies that I've seen. I don't think there's any official American release but https://jp-films.com/watch-hairpin-circus/free-sv2.html

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

magic cactus posted:

Just letting you know I watched hairpin circus and enjoyed it. It wasn't quite as... mystical as vanishing point but I can see the similarity in both films. Thanks very much for the recommendation!

Great, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for fun uplifting/cathartic anti-colonialist movies in the style of RRR. Doesn't have to be an action movie, but I'm looking for something vibrant and entertaining rather than super serious.

It's not hyperbolic and action-y like RRR, but Bacurau is a really good one that's not super serious or depressing.