Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

MY INEVITABLE DEBT posted:

Hardcore Henry i believe ticks these boxes? you may have seen it. they went with practical effects throughout the movie as much as they possibly could. there are like one or two scenes i think that even have CG at all
I'm not sure if you're joking, but that movie is like, CGed out the rear end in a top hat, including plenty of CG blood and color correction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWmXWVELig8

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/how-hardcore-henrys-pov-shots-were-made/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Logan Lucky.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Manhunter of course.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

They're sort of in the cultural zeitgeist, so she might've heard about them, but honestly I think it's pretty tough to predict the ends of Inglourious Basterds or Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood just because there's no real way to know which direction Tarantino is going. I don't know if Blackhat is something you can necessarily "figure out," but if it is, I think it'd be hard to guess, just because there are lots of possibilities. I'd be pretty surprised if she can predict the end of Glass. Really I'm a little suspicious of how many movies she can in fact predict before halfway through: lots of movies throw in twists after the 1st half that aren't so much "unpredictable" but rather they're one of a dozen twists the movie could've thrown in, so how would anyone know that twist is coming rather than some other twist? So for instance in Margaret someone dies, but it's not like there's an obvious person who is going to die or even an obvious candidate for death.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

bewilderment posted:

I want some movies that are kind of, uh, 'high energy' where you don't really know what exactly is going to happen next, you're just enjoying the ride.
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension!, After Hours, F for Fake, Burn After Reading.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Kanine posted:

hey does anyone have particularly good recommendations for ww2 underground resistance films?
Kanal; Casablanca; Underground; Schindler's List; Rome, Open City; Svoi; Went the Day Well?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I watched Blue Ruin and Hell or Highwater recently and both were awesome. I want to watch other stuff like them. Good low budget thrillers please.
The Rover.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

The other night I watched American Pop with some friends and while opinions were divided, we all agreed that, despite the fact that the film takes place mostly in the same place, the whole thing felt like an enormous journey. What are some other films that achieve a similar emotion?
The Hateful Eight, Stop Making Sense.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Are any of Paul Verhoeven's movies worth watching outside of the classic trilogy of Robocop, Total Recall, and Starship Troopers?
Hollow Man is his only bad movie.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Looking for some gritty spy movies with some verisimilitude ala Haywire and Ronin.
Atomic Blonde, 3 Days of the Condor, The Parallax View, Bridge of Spies, The Conversation, Lust, Caution, Munich, Burn After Reading, The American.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

feedmyleg posted:

Alternative Christmas movies? Stuff that takes place on/around Christmas but isn't about Christmas? The more offbeat or away from traditional Christmas movies, the better. Only caveat: no horror.
I just posted one in the noir thread - Blast of Silence.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

The 1938 Robin Hood is excellent.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sri.Theo posted:

Im looking for a movie thats focused on social class and class conflict, preferably from the UK or Western Europe and relatively modern. The more challenging the better.

Any suggestions?
Peterloo

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Fictional punk movies made in the past 15 years. I've seen Green Room and loved it.
Vi r bst! (2014).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ninjewtsu posted:

what are the good comedy movies of the last like, i dunno, 5 years? anything newer than/contemporary to what we do in the shadows would be good
In addition to what others have recommended (lots of good recs already!):

Blindspotting (comedy/drama, but definitely lots of comedy); The Beach Bum; The Climb (extremely funny IMHO); Thunder Road (dramady); The Big Sick; Gringo (straight up comedy); The Other Side of Hope (warning: Finnish sense of humor required); The Kid Detective (some dramatic elements); The Intern (if you like Nancy Meyers); The Lego Batman Movie; Always Be My Maybe (nice romcom); Don't Think Twice (dramady heavy on the comedy); Game Night (most people think this is a stone cold classic); Happiest Season (mediocre romcom but I like it); Ralph Breaks the Internet; Uncle Drew (very funny); Deadpool and Deadpool 2; Ghostbusters; The Art of Self-Defense (you need a certain sort of sense of humor); Caf Society (mildly acceptable late period Woody Allen dramady); Central Intelligence; Diamantino (very deep, probably you gotta be European or ideally Portuguese to get the most out of it); Spy; Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping; Blockers (I didn't like it but many did); Barb and Star go to Vista Del Mar (really did nothing for me but lots of people adore it); Mortdecai (one of the worst movies I've ever seen, but your mileage may vary).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ninjewtsu posted:

what are the good comedy movies of the last like, i dunno, 5 years? anything newer than/contemporary to what we do in the shadows would be good
Two more comedies to add since my last post: Plan B and Shiva Baby.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Im looking for black comedies. Pitch black. The darkest of dark humor.
Shiva Baby, The Heartbreak Kid, and a bonus pitch black humorous TV show: Patriot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Looking for good movies set substantially in Denver or Seattle (not Sleepless in Seattle pls)
10 Things I Hate About You, WarGames, Singles, Say Anything..., Streetwise, Police Beat, The Heart of the Game, Chronicle, Safety Not Guaranteed, House of Games.