Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'm looking for anything in a similar vein to Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (the 2011 film). Doesn't necessarily have to be espionage related, I just really enjoyed the whole "great actors talking their way through a convoluted situation" thing :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

feedmyleg posted:

The problem with wanting more things like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is that it's the best one—everything else will pale in comparison to that perfectly-wound script. For more modern stuff I'd say Fincher's films have similar qualities, Social Network especially. Frost/Nixon has a lot of that same DNA. Good Night and Good Luck. There Will Be Blood. The Constant Gardener. You can probably pull a list of "political thrillers" that will send you down a good path. But TTSS to me feels very much like a 60s/early 70s drama, so tapping into that more might scratch the itch for you—The Conversation, All the President's Men, Three Days of the Condor. And it wouldn't hurt to catch Smiley's People and really any other le Carre adaptation, even if none of them can match the brilliance of TTSS.
Heh, the reason I came here to ask is that everything I've tried to find in a similar vein didn't hold a candle to TTSS but there's a fair bit of stuff here that I haven't tried so thanks for that mate :)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I thoroughly enjoyed The Conversation so thanks again :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Mission Impossible: Fallout is probably the best action film since Fury Road, not sure you'd call the story "efficient" though :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

pooch516 posted:

I love that they unofficially changed the name to "Live Die Repeat" when it came out on Blu-Ray.
Wasn't it called "All You Need Is Kill" at some point?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I could use some recommendations for stuff to watch with my mam during quarantine. Stuff we've watched lately that she enoyed: The Nice Guys (she thought Gosling was hilarious), M:I Fallout, Inside Man, Collateral, Taking of Pelham 123 (the original), Open Range, Zodiac (though she wasn't happy that they didn't catch him at the end lol). Stuff she said was "ok": Fury Road, Nolan's Batman trilogy, the Bourne trilogy, Blood Diamond, 21 Bridges. Stuff she hated: Inception was the worst film she's ever seen :v:

TV wise, she also really enjoyed Elementary, Justified and Bosch, if that helps.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Timby posted:

The 3:10 to Yuma remake from a few years back.
Thanks, we started watching a box set so it'll be a week or two before we get round to this but I'll let you know if it was a hit :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Insomnia.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Timby posted:

The 3:10 to Yuma remake from a few years back.
This went over pretty well apart from the very end, so thanks :)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I'm not a huge horror guy but I really liked The Ritual.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and The Nice Guys

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Roumba posted:

Also, consider the original Conan the Barbarian if you haven't seen it. Although I wonder if would come across as dated and dumb to a first-time viewer, given all the parodies and copycat films it spawned.
I watched it with my daughter not too long ago and she thought it was great :black101:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Watched Mask of Zorro, Pirates of the Caribbean (just the first one) and Princess Bride this week and am hankering for more swashbuckling - anyone got any suggestions? Preferably stuff that's on streaming services but that's not completely essential.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Cheers both of you

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

feedmyleg posted:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is the gold standard there as far as I'm concerned.
Hard agree.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

feedmyleg posted:

What are some good hangout movies? Chill, low-stakes movies where everybody just kinda hangs out and has a good time and there's not much conflict.

I've seen Dazed and Confused and Everybody Wants Some!! and such. Open to whatever, but ideally something with a bit of a hook—I'd love some genre flicks.
Withnail & I?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Zogo posted:

The Long Good Friday
Seconding this, it's a masterpiece.

Zogo posted:

Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man
I should really rewatch this, it absolutely fuckin slapped back in the day :v:

Edit: just remembered Split Second with Rutger Hauer exists, you should try that

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Palm Springs was much funnier than I expected it to be.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Heist from 2001 with Gene Hackman & Danny DeVito is absolutely excellent.

edit: Inside Man

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 20, 2021

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, I can't speak to the accuracy of the film either way but it's jingoistic as all hell.

The most absurdly jingoistic bullshit I've seen lately was the "has fallen" films, especially the first two.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Just rewatched Hunt for Red October and I'd like recommendations for anything in the same sort of "character actors arguing with/out thinking each other" vein.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I haven't seen 12 Angry Men in a couple of decades but it's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I'll check out the other stuff too, cheers.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Cheers, I've never actually seen A Few Good Men and I think I'm overdue a rewatch on the others.

I can also highly recommend the 1997 remake of 12 Angry Men, which I only learned about while looking for a copy of the original. Incredible cast, the original writer and Willam Friedkin directing. I still prefer the original but Jack Lemmon and George C Scott are incredible in it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

thehandtruck posted:

I hadn't seen many Bollywood movies or taken any seriously but then I saw RRR and it was incredible. Any suggestions for great Bollywood movies, can be totally over the top like RRR or "good".
On a related note, recommend me some films that go as hard as RRR on the "gently caress the british" sentiment :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

LionYeti posted:

Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol
Any of the Mission Impossibles really, except maybe 2 which I don't remember.

Zogo posted:

Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India
Cheers.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I've seen a moderate amount of westerns and I don't think I could name a single one that had a city in it to be fair

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy from 2011

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Open Range

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Fallen (1998)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I watched Kill the Irishman (2011) and No Sudden Move (2021) this weekend and I'm looking for more crime stuff with stacked casts like those two.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

morestuff posted:

Devil In A Blue Dress is another noir with a scene-stealing performance from Cheadle and a great cast.
Oh yeah, that's a classic and a perfect example of the kind of thing I'm after. I might rewatch it again anyway :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

ynohtna posted:

If you're a fan of Devil in a Blue Dress (great flick), then I guess you're already well feasted on LA Confidential and Mulholland Falls?
Yes to LA Confidential and I *think* I've seen Mulholland Falls but it was so long ago I can't remember anything about it (and might be confusing it with Mulholland Drive) so that's a good shout, thank you.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Turns out I hadn't seen Mulholland Falls before, really enjoyed it though. Glengarry Glen Ross I've definitely seen but not for decades so I'll put that on the list, nice one.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Ooh, that's a fuckin cast and a half. Sold :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Gonna recommend Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) because that's my default recommendation to anyone my mam enjoyed that when we watched it during lockdown.