Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Bande à part
The Graduate
Jules et Jim

It's not much for joy, but if you want the heartache and self-destruction of youth, The Devil, Probably absolutely fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The 1935 Mutiny on the Bounty.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Coaaab posted:

A lot of fans talk about A City of Sadness, Millennium Mambo, and Café Lumière as well.

A City of Sadness is a great film and not a bad place to start, but only if you're vaguely familiar with the post-war history of Taiwan. Otherwise, you might feel rather lost at times. Though I guess that goes for many of Hou's films.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Bergman's Persona and Hour of the Wolf, which were a huge influence on Lynch's style. Svankmajer's Alice, which is the only Alice in Wonderland adaptation that actually feels like you've entered a child's nightmare. And if you're not averse to (quasi-)silent cinema, try Dreyer's Vampyr.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Songs from the Second Floor
The Death of Mr. Lazarescu

I don't think it's possible to be even darker than Mr. Lazarescu and still count as a comedy, but I'm sure someone will prove me wrong.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

It predates the 70s by a few years, but check out Youssef Chahine's Saladin the Victorious, which tells the story of the Third Crusade from a perspective you generally don't see in the West.

feedmyleg posted:

Lancelot du Lac is terrific.

It's an incredible film, but cool, exciting, and accessible are definitely not the words I'd use to describe it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Sounds like you'd be interested in slow cinema, a broad movement that emerged in the 60s and defines itself by many of the qualities you listed (long takes, little to no narrative, heavy emphasis on metaphysics and existentialism). There are far too many examples to list in a single post, but two early directors who did a lot to define the movement are Michelangelo Antonioni and Andrei Tarkovsky. Since you've already seen Stalker, I recommend L'avventura.

For a more recent take on slow cinema, check out the filmography of Tsai Ming-liang (Vive l'Amour and Goodbye Dragon Inn are good starting points).

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 14, 2021

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

magic cactus posted:

I watched L'aventurra. I didn't like it, but I couldn't tell you why. All the pieces were there, but I didn't really connect with the story of a bunch of alienated socialites searching for meaning. But I have kind of a "two strikes" rule with new directors. I watch two of their movies, just because I like to give myself a chance. So I ended up watching Red Desert.

Interesting that you enjoyed Red Desert but not L'avventura since those are arguably his closest films in terms of themes and style. What made you love the former?

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I just saw Lost Highway and did not really enjoy it. I was hoping for a creepy, atmospheric, surreal take on the classic road movie. What movies actually are that?

If you're fine with a road trip that contains no actual roads (or cars), Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Oh yeah, you're right. Landscape in the Mist is the perfect fit for atmopsheric, surreal road movie.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

One of the earliest examples I can think of is Fritz Lang's M, which charts both the police's and the criminals' search for a child killer.

Out 1 has two characters who investigate the same conspiracy and never meet each other. The three protagonists of L.A. Confidential also conduct their individual investigations at various points during the story, if I remember correctly.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Drugstore Cowboy. Gus Van Sant in general is the Pacific Northwest's most acclaimed director, though his other films take place later than the 70s.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

To throw a vague recommendation idea out there, Jackie Brown rules. I like its mix of smooth dialogue driven entertainment, while also being heartfelt. Doesn't feel farcical like other crime comedy/drama movies I love. I've seen all QT's movies, and probably most well known crime comedies (and Coen bros etc), but anything that fits this vibe of heartfelt while also funny and cool?

Bande à part, though you've probably seen it. You could also try Big Deal on Madonna Street, which is the comedy caper everyone's been ripping off for the past sixty years.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

Cool, thanks. Scorsese likes Madonna Street, so we've got his blessing.

True, but then Scorsese loves every film made in Italy between 1945 and 1970.

Which is the correct opinion to have of course.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Zurtilik posted:

My request is vague and highly subjective but: can anyone recommended some really 'stylized' crime films? Things that I enjoyed that come to mind: Drive, Thief, Manhunter, Nightcrawler.

I don't think you can get more stylized than Seijun Suzuki. Check out Branded to Kill and Tokyo Drifter, probably the best yakuza films ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

If you're already attuned to Suzuki's particular brand of weirdness, I strongly recommend Pistol Opera, which is his late-career masterpiece. Fair warning though, it's stylized to the point of incomprehensibility.