Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Selklubber posted:

Any other good relatively long calm movies like There will be blood or No country for old men? Something about the landscapes, the oil, or old dudes talking makes them so relaxing to watch. It's like movie comfort food.

Paris Texas comes to mind. It's got drama but not more so than No Country I think, it's got a cool vibe to it. And Harry Dean Stanton is always cool.

I'm looking for good and/or entertaining movies from 1986, that I haven't seen.

https://letterboxd.com/frankboothfan/films/year/1986/by/name/

I've seen 62, not to say you've gotta peruse that page there, but if not I've seen I think the usual big ones and cult classics etc. But I'm sure I'm missing cool stuff. I'm looking to watch at least 24 more, 86 in 86 has a nice ring to it. A couple of them are anime video series but hey close enough. I've at least gotta hit 70.

There are some other years I'm looking to bone up on, but figure I'll start there. Plus I just like 86, it's got Blue Velvet, Transformers: The Movie, what couldn't it do. Also, if you were gonna recommend a cool movie and it turns out it wasn't from 86, feel free to post that anyway. I know this is broad, but I got quotas to fill here.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Wizchine posted:

There's some well-regarded stuff I never saw, so I can't recommend - plus plenty of schlocky stuff that I also wanted to add, but I restrained myself.

Much thanks! I'd been meaning to see a few of those too, big Hopper fan and whatnot. Could I request a couple of the finest of these schlocky films? Curiosity piqued!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Much thanks for the movies folks, I'll get onto watching these fine films asap.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Since you like Funny Games, I'll say give some David Lynch a try if you haven't. Blue Velvet is a great one to start with. It's got the dark humor and surrealism , but it is also one of his most grounded and relatable in some ways. Lynch has some of the best tension and scariness of any movie maker.

I'll throw in a few movies that are Italian, but starring some American actors, and all dubbed in English. Suspiria (the original), Dario Argento's Opera (not Phantom), and Tenebre. These are so stylish and hold up really well, from the late 70s to the 80s.

And a grabbag of classic crowd pleasers: A Nightmare on Elm Street (original), Dawn of the Dead (original), Hellraiser, Friday the 13th (I'd say try 4 or 6 if just watching one), the original Candyman if you haven't seen it (original is my word of the day apparently). And one more, Jacob's Ladder.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

FitFortDanga posted:

My faves that you haven't seen:

Partisans of Vilna
Sherman's March
Routine Pleasures
Mauvais Sang
Home of the Brave (only if you like Laurie Anderson)
Peggy Sue Got Married
Matador

Much thanks! Peggy Sue and Mauvais Sang I've been meaning to see, and the rest looks cool too, Matador sounds pretty neato.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

RC Cola posted:

What was the best crappy scary movie you've seen recently? I need some to watch

For pure zero budget laughs, Evil Cult (2003) is a big fav. Neil Stryker is quite the character, the sequel is funny too. Really inventive funny flicks.

Other than that, for non-comedy stuff, you might enjoy Mother of Tears (2007). I love Dario, my pick for fav horror director, but this one definitely had that cheesy unintentional laughs etc feel. Great Udo Kier too.

Granted, I like these movies and have them on home video, so maybe not quite crappy enough. How low can we go, let me see... Zombie Strippers. Uwe Boll of course, House of the Dead and Bloodrayne (all 3) fit the bill, very funny.

With or without MST3k and rifftrax, Zombie Nightmare and Rock n Roll Nightmare are B-movie zen.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 31, 2020

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Any fun and/or offbeat good entertainment documentaries? Mostly I've been digging music docs, loved Beastie Boys Story and I Am Thor for example. But I'd also be interested in ones about other entertainers.

I guess another thing that makes a really good doc is one that doesn't just feel like it's going over a career like VH1. Has a little extra character to it.

I'm gonna check out that Zappa one for sure.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Action Jacktion posted:

Anvil! The Story of Anvil

That's another great one, I've seen a lot of the metal ones for sure.

SliceOfPie posted:

Looking for a movie that has some big twists and leave you confused until the very end. Similar to shutter island.

Memento, Jacob's Ladder, Oldboy (2003), Brazil, 12 Monkeys. Always a cool kind of vibe.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 2, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

fenix down posted:

You may have seen these but I'll throw out: Be Water, Diego Maradona, Won't You Be My Neighbor, Jim & Andy, Life Itself, The Punk Singer, Sound City, 20 Feet from Stardom, Searching for Sugar Man, Being Elmo.

Thanks! Those sound great.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

busalover posted:

Is Angels in America (2003) worth watching, or should I look for a broadway recording on Youtube or something if I'm interested in the play?

I don't know, but since I'm posting I've also had that on my to-watch list for a long time. I've heard it was cool, a friend of mine who's a big Pacino fan (I am too but this guy is 110% Pacino) liked it when it was new.

My question: some fav 80s and 90s Hong Kong and Japanese live-action comedies? Just looking to fill in some particular niches. And I'm already covered on Chow Yun-Fat, Stephen Chow, and whatnot (Jackie Chan covered too).

For Japanese comedy movies from around then I've not seen many. I've seen Wild Zero, 2000s ones like Calamari Wrestler etc, but not a lot from the 80s and 90s. Aside from anime, I've got that covered oh yes.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Electronico6 posted:

Big post about Hong Kong comedies in general from the late 70's to now

Much thanks!

quote:

P.S: Stay away from anything that says Directed by Wong Jing.

Too late for that, I adore Wong Jing. Since I mentioned Stephen Chow and Chow Yun-Fat comedies, it would be hard not to love some of his movies. When I mentioned I was covered on those actors, I meant I've seen like 15 to 20 of their movies. :D Big fan.

Thanks again, I've seen some of those, and a lot of cool looking picks.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

feedmyleg posted:

Looking for pulpy, globetrotting action/adventure/crime movies from the 40s-70s. Bonus points for sleaze, fun, and style.

Indiana Jones, James Bond, and really the entire Eurospy subgenre would fit into what I'm imagining—but really I'm interested in anything that goes to a decent number of "exotic" locales. I've seen a handful of the more obvious Eurospy flicks, but I've really only scraped the surface with the Harry Palmer films and such. I just really want to explore the world through the lens of the "exoticism" of earlier eras.

For these the main things coming to mind are comedy/adventure/action movies, but there are some to throw in the mix. Lupin the Third, that whole anime franchise rules if you haven't checked that out. Miyazaki of studio Ghibli did some good work there, including his first film The Castle of Cagliostro, which rules. Since then there have been zillions of Lupin movies, mostly 90 minute TV anime movies, but they're terrific. Island of Assassins is one that's very James Bond-esque, and the franchise has a good bit of Bond influence in general. Sweet Lost Night, Angel's Tactics (has a gang of girls with guns even), Episode 0, Seven Days Rhapsody, so many good Lupin movies. And globe-trotting is usually a big part of it. (The anime franchise is from the 70s, and that first movie.)

Definitely a fun area to find more of, gotta dig a globetrotting adventure.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 13, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I’m looking for black comedies. Pitch black. The darkest of dark humor.

Just in case, gotta say Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, some Lynch in general. Some of my fav stuff, covers a lot of bases, but dark humor is a big one. Blue Velvet is my favorite movie, and it was kinda fun seeing it with laughs at a local theater one time too.

Repo Man (1984), maybe not that dark, but it's kind of a gritty offbeat comedy that rules. Coen brothers, stuff like A Serious Man felt like a pretty dark black comedy.

It's interesting defining some stuff, since some of it is about expectations, and how you interpret the tone. And there are so many genre mashups. And if it's so dark and somber that it's not really funny, for me, it feels more like an offbeat thriller or drama. It's like mixing the perfect genre milkshake, it's a chef endeavor.

Rewatching Blade Runner recently, that definitely has some dark humor in it. At least, it's a dark movie that has humor in the tone at times. Noir itself involves a lot of sardonic humor.

To make things more confusing for me (pardon my ramble here), I notice they often don't include comedy in the genres on imdb, wikipedia etc for movies where it should be there. Shadow of the Vampire for example, very good dark comedy. It's so clear in the tone that comedy is a big part of the mix. Though it's on user lists for dark comedies etc.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Medieval adventure movies from 70s onward? Cool exciting accessible I guess 70s and onward medieval movies? Or renaissance or whatever, anything with swords. Knights are especially cool though. European history and whatnot. Preferably with a bit of an adventure vibe to it, not too cold or detached feeling. Fantasy elements are also ok, but I figure that's largely it's own genre, and I'm more covered on that end of it.

I've seen the fantasy stuff like Conan, Excalibur, and Beastmaster. I've seen some well done historical movies like The Duellists set a bit later. I've heard Kingdom of Heaven's longer version is good, gonna try that. Flesh + Blood is a good one. Feels like I'm missing some cool ones in this area though.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 26, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks for the recs! That Robin of Sherwood TV show looks pretty sweet. A bit of John Rhys-Davies too, always a bonus.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Will do! I've been meaning to watch that forever.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hot drat that looks good. That trailer is rad, my goodness that cast indeed.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

feedback loop posted:

Looking to watch a few movies with really notable representations of the American west coast in the mid-60s to early-70s

Repo Man is a good one for LA too.

Twin Peaks is a good one for Washington filming locations, and the pilot is pretty much a movie (was released as a movie abroad - though with a different ending).

To throw a vague recommendation idea out there, Jackie Brown rules. I like its mix of smooth dialogue driven entertainment, while also being heartfelt. Doesn't feel farcical like other crime comedy/drama movies I love. I've seen all QT's movies, and probably most well known crime comedies (and Coen bros etc), but anything that fits this vibe of heartfelt while also funny and cool?

Crime can be involved, but could be a bit different. For example, I think White Men Can't Jump might fit that. Preferably 80s onward for the vibe I'm thinking of. Maybe some 70s.

I guess hangout movies for the QT or Leonard fan, with some grounded-ness to them.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 19, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Samuel Clemens posted:

Bande à part, though you've probably seen it. You could also try Big Deal on Madonna Street, which is the comedy caper everyone's been ripping off for the past sixty years.

Cool, thanks. Scorsese likes Madonna Street, so we've got his blessing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zurtilik posted:

My request is vague and highly subjective but: can anyone recommended some really 'stylized' crime films? Things that I enjoyed that come to mind: Drive, Thief, Manhunter, Nightcrawler.

Just in case, on the 0.03% chance they haven't been seen yet: The Killer (1989), Scarface (1983)

A bit of a different genre, being a dark comedy romp, but Into The Night (85) is cool. Also Repo Man (1984), well, there are crimes involved. Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart. Infernal Affairs of course. Romeo is Bleeding, Red Rock West, Salvador (more for the Nightcrawler connection).

Also, since we're talking Michael Mann, the TV show Miami Vice has a lot of terrific episodes. And that slick style definitely is in keeping with those movies. The pilot, The Home Invaders (Abel Ferrara), Evan, and Out Where the Buses Don't Run are a few great watches.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 23, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Inside Llewyn Davis. Also plenty of dark comedy being Coens, but fits that a bit for me. On Amazon Prime.

And speaking of Harry, to keep this movie on every page or two, Paris Texas. On HBO Max.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

tuyop posted:

I’m looking for under-appreciated or less known 70s movies, any genre really. Foreign is good too. Stuff like The China Syndrome or The Parallax View, or even borderline 70s like The Changeling.

I’m mostly determined to escape the Disney apocalypse but also these movies are really loving good and I like them.

The Castle of Cagliostro, maybe not too under-appreciated, but I gotta mention it, one of my favs.

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Dario Argento rules in general. 20k votes on imdb, so even though influential and remembered, could use more eyes on it.

Rock 'n' Roll High School, this movie rules and only has 9.7k on imdb, we gotta raise these numbers.

Wizards (1977)

Sleuth (1972)

And I'll name a few classics that may be known, but about as much as China Syndrome which has 29k on imdb:

The Long Goodbye

And Justice for All

The Last Detail

Altered States

Somebody asked for movies under 15k votes on reddit recently oddly enough, so I had my math game on. It seems really old anime movies are usually under 2k votes, stuff like the Gundam movie trilogy, which rules, if you wanna go wild. Mobile Suit Gundam I (1981) is a fine gateway. It's pretty intense horrors of war stuff, done with an epic scale and sense of scope to rival Star Wars.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Maybe throw Dredd on there too if you haven't seen that. While more often compared to The Raid or Die Hard, the movie has a John Carpenter vibe to it. And it's more low budget and suspense-y than all out action.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zoracle Zed posted:

what movies do 'extremely competent protagonist in over their head' as well as no country for old men?

The Killer (1989)

The Hustler (1961)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

feedmyleg posted:

Weird, trippy low-budget sci-fi? Lesser-known, below even Zardoz and Conquest. Like, bottom-of-the-barrel stuff but with big visual and/or philosophical ambition. Just watched the 1983 Hercules with its crazy weirdo sci-fi tone and I don't care how bad it is I adore it swinging for the fences.

Leaning more in the Hercules direction of funny yet entertaining good cheese:

Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter
The Sword and the Sorcerer
DeathStalker II (this is more for the funny B-movie appeal, but it's a keeper.)

Also for an offshoot from fantasy, I recall those Hercules movies have Serena Grandi etc. Most of the Italian wild movies I dig are horror movies. Delirium is a B-movie gem, and Demons if you haven't seen it. Demons is freewheeling and adventure-y to have cross genre appeal I think. Both by Lamberto Bava.

For just low budget sci-fi that rocks: Trancers, Repo Man (any excuse to recommend it), Space Adventure Cobra (probably not low budget), G.I. Samurai, Death Race 2000, Cherry 2000, Arcadia of My Youth (just underseen)

Also just because it's interesting to note, Hercules (1983) has a respectable budget. Or at least not low budget for the time I guess. Same budget as The Terminator, high for Italy at the time I think.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Looking for Tim Curry content, movies or TV. I've seen Clue, Rocky Horror, Muppet Treasure Island, The Shadow etc, and looking for more than a cameo. I've seen Legend and It, but I'm thinking more for his humor and charm, but either way works. As much Curry as possible, high quality, Curry scenery eating etc.