Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Recommendations for visually/musically stunning space movies like 2001, Interstellar, Sunshine, and The Fountain?

Less violence/horror would be preferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Thanks! Also, recommendations for grand/"epic" romantic movies (like The Fountain)?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Thanks for all the recommendations! Can't wait.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

I feel like Chungking Express and In The Mood for Love fit this.
The Before Trilogy, too

Yeah, we watched In The Mood for Love after the Fountain and it was so beautiful and good.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Recently watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty while on Maureen Dowd-level edibles and absolutely loved it (despite being meh on it sober). I feel like Amelie and Stranger Than Fiction would also be amazing.

Are there similar movies to these three in terms of audiovisual/narrative experience and impression?

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 17, 2020

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

fenix down posted:

Here's a couple visually playful films with (basically) positive vibes: The Science of Sleep, Brazil, Scott Pilgrim, Speed Racer, Paddington 2, Wall-e, Wreck it Ralph, Fantastic Mr Fox, Son of the White Mare, anything Studio Ghibli,

Hell yeah, this is perfect. Although yeah, I'd agree with the above about Brazil haha. Still going to try it out though and report back with my findings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

SliceOfPie posted:

Looking for a movie that has some big twists and leave you confused until the very end. Similar to shutter island.

I'm actually looking for this as well, but preferably with less scares and graphic violence. Tension, twists, and thrills are great, but abject terror and viscera are not a fun vibe for me on edibles.

Films like Moon, Primer, Under The Skin, Funny Games, and Coherence all hit this for me and I'd love to watch more like these.