Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Just watched a movie called Perfect that recently appeared in Shudder. I nearly mistook it for a Panos Cosmatos movie, thinking he might have made it under an alt name or something.

The acting from the main character is not very good and the dialog also isn't the best, but the visuals are a combination of Beyond the Black Rainbow combined with 1980's style vaporwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

I had seen Wim Wender's Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire back in the 1990's and I remember how much I really liked both films. For some reason, I never watched any more Wim Wenders movies. I have no idea why!

That is, until last night, when I decided to watch the full nearly 5 hour long cut of Until the End of the World that's currently up on The Criterion Channel. It was made in 1991 and takes place in 1999, so there's a lot of guesses as to what the future would be like, and save for the Internet, most things he got pretty accurate, even though it's off to a certain degree. Things like GPS and video phones for example, but some things are spot on, like widescreen flat panel HDTV displays.

The movie "felt" long but did not "feel" like 5 hours. If you have the time to watch it it's really no different than binging a 6 - 8 episode series of 40 - 50 minute long episodes.

Highly recommended!

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Watch this with the English dub if you want to see this as a comedy

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

The Lodge on Hulu. I put this one off because it looked like another generic "haunted house" kind of movie to me (I try not to make these pre-judgements but I always fall victim to it).

It turned out to not be that at all.

It's very well down psychological horror with a lot of "look and feel" references to The Shining. I totally even missed the reference with the dog's name. The characters actually watch The Thing at one point and this movie is just about in the same class for the genre.

Highly recommended!

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Pretty sure you meant Enter the Void

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Vivarium is on Amazon Prime.

Psychological horror/sci-fi thing.

It's good.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

If you've watched a lot of the Hitchcock films from the 60's and earlier there's a ton of references to them. The style of filming and editing is even modeled after those older films.

(It's made by the "It Follows" director by the way.)

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Just watched the first post-Covid-19 movie with the characters in lockdown.

"Host" on Shudder.

The characters are on video chat and summon a demon.

It's really, really, really bad.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Did anyone see the new Bill & Ted? Any good? Overly nostalgic?

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Just watched I'm Thinking of Ending Things, new Charlie Kaufman film on Netflix

A slow burn (over 2 hours) with two separate 20 minute long car scenes.

It's really good.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Which one, the original or CGI re-release. I kinda like the re-release better. :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Power of Pecota posted:

So technically it's between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, but I saw the '78 Invasion of the Body Snatchers last night and it might legitimately be my favorite thing in the genre.

Also, I want to share this scene with as many people as possible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz2IN7Gn-ys

She also does that during the end credits of the last episode of the BrainDead series on Amazon.

Some of Philip Kaufman's movies are very good, the Body Snatchers remake was one of them. If you've never seen them, you should also watch Unbearable Lightness of Being, The Wanderers, and The White Dawn (a very underrated and not well known movie).

Telebite fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 13, 2020