Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

married but discreet posted:

How have I never looked at this thread before? I haven't seen a really good, capital M Movie in a while, I'm talking artistically valuable and edifying and not just good in the popcorn type of way. Looking at my criticker account (I will never switch to Letterboxd!) here's the last few movies of the type I'm talking about :

In The Mood For Love
Portrait Of A Lady On Fire
Harakiri
A Hidden Life
Parasite
First Reformed
Eyes Wide Shut

Probably very vague but just hit me with something, ideally not by the same director.

Little Women

The movies everyone else has said as well, but I slept on Little Women for too long despite everyone saying how great it is and drat they were right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Itís an entire block in Bed Stuy but Do the Right Thing is absolutely a collection of interconnecting stories in one setting. Also has hall of fame production design.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Chronicle of a Summer is one of the most influential docs ever and might help. Itís not media bias but an exploration of how documentary filmmaking can capture truth (if possible), among other things. Itís where the term Cinema Verite came from and just a great movie.

Itís on Criterion, here is a link to a short vid talking about it:

https://youtu.be/S0dOLHemSgs

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Doublepost, but catching Computer Chess tonight and I'm pumped.

Another request: I caught The Palindromists the other night, just a super low-key nerdy documentary about some dorky weirdos having fun doing a world-championship palindrome contest. Nothing special, but it was super charming and hit my brain just right since I'm in a chill mode. But I realized it was a prime example of a category of documentaries I loveójust low-stakes fun documentaries focused on a weird/interesting subculture that don't get all that emotional. I'd put stuff like King of Kong, Pumping Iron, and So Wrong They're Right in there, too.

So, what are some other fun, charming documentaries about weirdo subcultures?

Click here to watch an Errol Morris 22 minute short on an electric football basement league

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

Once again I feel a hankering for a historical war movie, ideally one focusing on a cool general or two. Got any?

Not a traditional war movie, but Battle of Algiers has one of the best portrayals of an enemy general you can find.