Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Anyone have ideas for movies that are similar to Playtime and Rear Window? In that they have these big sets with different little things going on in rooms (for Rear Window's case), and the movies move from piece to piece.

I'm not looking for something that is just a series of vignettes that don't take place in close proximity, I'm thinking specifically of the shots in Rear Window where Jefferies is scanning from apartment to apartment in one shot (without cuts), or with Playtime scenes like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI2Mhlw1W1w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6JE8wn8Tdc

Bonus points if its large constructed sets like in both of those movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

FancyMike posted:

Johnnie To and Sylvia Chang’s Office might have enough of what you’re looking for. It’s definitely got a great constructed set and is streaming on prime video in the us.

https://youtu.be/xvnM6wjBp64

That set does look very large, and the movie seems like it has a cool premise. I'll have to check it out.

fenix down posted:

Wes Anderson likes to do that, like the sub tour in Steve Zissou, the opening to Moonrise, or the epilogue of Fantastic Fox. However those films don't really linger on the shots like the two examples given.

That's very true, I forgot about Life Aquatic there, and I've been sleeping on Moonrise Kingdom for about oh 8 years. I'll have to catch up on my Anderson.

Scones are Good posted:

If you can vibe with 70s Godard Tout Va Bien has a good cut open set of a sausage factory during a labor strike

I looked a bit of video and screenshots for it and it looks right on the money with the big open set and removed camera. I have standed enough of 60s Godard that I'll take a shot at vibing with 70s Godard.

Voodoofly posted:

It’s an entire block in Bed Stuy but Do the Right Thing is absolutely a collection of interconnecting stories in one setting. Also has hall of fame production design.

Excellent movie.

Thanks everyone for the recommendos.

I got to thinking a bit more about these movies and I think what struck me about them most is having the camera be mostly telephoto shots peering in through windows. Most movies are shot with normal or wide lenses with the camera taking the place of an observer in the room, living in the same moment as the characters. There's something more lurid and voyeuristic about having telephoto lenses where the observer is clearly removed from the characters.

So now I'm curious about movies that play up the voyeurism aspect, particularly with the camera work playing up the voyeurism aspect, where it feels like you're watching something you shouldn't be. I'm thinking of something like (the excellent) The Conversation, with the intro being a super telephoto lens spying on someone with the park, and the movie being focused around a guy whose job is to just snoop in on other people without them knowing. Anyone have any recommendations on that vein? With or without the previous criteria.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

i need a movie about a cool prison break (not the great escape/face off)

Brute Force, and A Man Escaped.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm looking for mystery movies. Golden age there's a murder, the detective solves it, denouement. The hitch is, you can't recommend Poirot movies to me. Are there any out there? What about good TV shows in this vein?

gently caress you: The Orient Express and the David Suchet Poirot show.

But also non-Poirot ones, mostly whodunits:
- A Nero Wolfe Mystery (TV show, takes place in 1940s New York)
- The Beast Must Die (1970s, has Peter Cushing, it's a whodunit about finding a werewolf)
- The 9th Guest (from 1934, an OG whodunit)
- The Last of Sheila (1970s, takes place on a boat, a whodunit with a few odd twists in there, no detective)
- Murder by Death (1976, takes place in the 40s-ish, it's a parody of detective whodunits starring a cast of parodies of famous fictional detectives, I must warn you that Peter Sellers plays an Asian man and that part is very weird)
- Clue (it's clue)
- Knives Out (it's good)

Stuff that's not exact but I think will fit anyway:
- Vertigo
- Rear Window
- The Name of the Rose
- The Naked City
- Chinatown
- Sleuth (very good, very rare, Lawrence Olivier and Michael Caine, but is a weird twist on the genre, can't say too much without spoiling)

And I am obligated to recommend Columbo to you, which is about a detective solving murders, but is a howcatchem instead of a whodunit (you know who the murderer is at the start). It's very good and everyone needs to watch Columbo.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

morestuff posted:

It's mostly about watching rich dipshits get owned by the coolest man alive

It's this. You already know who did it, and that he's going to catch them. It's fun seeing what little thing tripped them up and their perfect murder plan. Plus it's a cool look at 70s (and later 90s!) LA upper class life with really interesting direction, and Peter Falk doing his thing.