Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Seconding all of those. You could spend a month watching Zatoichi and Lone Wolf & Cub alone and never be bored. I'd also recommend Lady Snowblood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

I just watched Sea of Love last week and rewatched Basic Instinct for the first time in decades and man I miss the days of erotic thrillers. It's like t&a Hitchcock. What are some really good ones?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Do those parts in Videodrome when James Woods makes out with a TV, and then whips a TV while the woman on the screen gets off count?

e: this worked surprisingly well
https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?keywords=virtual-sex

Origami Dali fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 9, 2020

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

regulargonzalez posted:

Also, is Mysterious Skin any good?

It's incredibly good.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

What, Hollow Man is great

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

The police strike in Robocop might fit this bill.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

My dude, you been to the horror thread?

Your list it pretty broad for recommending movies 'like' them, unless you just mean any decent horror movies. Some decent-to-great movies people have generally liked over the past decade have been Hereditary, The Witch, It Follows, Get Out, The Lodge, Mandy, The Lighthouse, The Haunting of Hill House netflix series, The Ritual, The Babadook, Suspiria (2019). Most or all are on one of the streaming services you mentioned. Also, you need to get Shudder asap.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Stunt_enby posted:

looking for poo poo with the same sort of utter existential dread and hopelessness that First Reformed has

It's basically a remake of Bergman's Winter Light, with a dash of Taxi Driver, so try those if you haven't already.

Other films to try would be I Stand Alone, Naked, and Melancholia

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

I just watched Planet of the Vampires and really enjoyed that 50's-60's Forbidden Planet/early Star Trek type aesthetic. You know, colorful landscapes and weird local plant life, midcentury modern looking doodads on top of boxy tech with big flashing buttons. Real EC comics Weird Science type stuff. Theramins on the soundtrack. I'm looking for more of all of that. What are some good ones?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Thanks for the space recs y'all.

feedmyleg posted:

The Green Slime, Fantastic Voyage, Planeta Bur, The Angry Red Planet, and This Island Earth are what you're after. There's a ton of 50s b-grade material like War of the Satellites and its ilk that fit the bill, but it tends to be very stuffy.

If you really want something fun I'd recommend looking at some of the sci-fi TV of the 60s like Fireball XL5, Space: 1999, Lost in Space. Fireball in particular is a hidden gem, and Shout Factory TV has it streaming for free in HD.

I was trying to watch Planeta Bur (Planet of Storms) the other night and man that could use a full restoration. I guess this is a forgotten gem. The only copies I could find subtitled are on youtube, and the subs on one version were not a great translation and the copy with better subs were like 5-10 seconds out of sync.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Virginia Slams posted:

Looking for a good horror movie or show.

To give you a better idea for what I'm looking for:

Things I enjoy in horror -
-body horror like the thing/the void
-hopeless/depressing stories like apocalypse/dead world scenarios
-cosmic horror like color out of space
-more grounded zombie movies(as overdone as they are) like dawn of the dead 2004, 28 days/weeks later, black summer etc
-slow burn like hidden, 10 cloverfield lane etc

Thing's I am not looking for -
-generic movies like the conjuring or sinister style spooky haunted house/man in the walls type stuff
-comedy/campy stuff(I enjoy the evil dead/ash vs evil dead series but thats about it)
-found footage(though REC 1+2 were good)

If you haven't seen them already, Videodrome and From Beyond are ticking a couple of boxes.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

I feel like the only person in the world who dislikes the Columbo format. There's just no tension.

Also, for a recommendation, you can't go wrong with the Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

morestuff posted:

It's mostly about watching rich dipshits get owned by the coolest man alive

I suddenly feel the need to reevaluate Columbo.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Eyes Wide Shut

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

An oddly specific request here. I'm looking for movies that deal with people revisiting places from their childhood as adults, typically to uncover a secret or to confront some trauma. The best example of what I'm thinking of is probably IT, where we see the places in the past and again in the present. Mystery, thriller, or horror movies, preferably.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

busalover posted:

I watched Hereditary and Midsommar in the past couple months, and like them both. Any recent-ish horror/suspense movies that feel the same? I also like VVitch, Green Room, and Mandy. Btw that Cronenberg son-movie doesn't look good to me, not sure about that.

Possessor is great tho. Other good recent-ish poo poo is The Blackcoat's Daughter, the Suspiria remake, Knife+Heart, The Lighthouse

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

https://twitter.com/intellegint/status/1382256872560885763

four great movies, any others that should be added to the list? bonus if they're set not in LA

Body Heat, Night Moves (1975), Klute, and The Last Seduction are a good quad not in LA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Doesn't get much darker than late 90s indies like Happiness or In The Company of Men.