Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Got a couple types of movies on the brain that I'd like to see more of.

1. Movies with a big "what the gently caress" moment, but I specifically mean where something really weird happens and then the movie pauses and takes a moment to highlight a character saying "what the gently caress?" in the most shocked or confused voice possible. Bonus points if it's the last line of the movie like The Guest or Swiss Army Man.

2. "Kitchen-sink" type horror movies where they include a whole bunch of different possible explanations for a mystery to try and keep you/the characters guessing or just to parody/shout out the genre, like Resolution, Housebound, and Malignant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
There's a certain highly-regarded movie from a few years back where this fact is generally considered a twist/tightly-guarded spoiler, so reveal at your own risk: One Cut of the Dead is exactly this.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Speaking of which, I'd like to request recommendations for more stull like Southland Tales and Reconguista in G. Big sci-fi stories made with a very clear creative vision, full of detail, completely unafraid of confusing people, with a message or vibe the creator is desperately trying to get across to the audience. If it's widely hated or dismissed as being confusing or pretentious, that would be ideal.

Interstellar lol

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
it seems there is a storied tradition of having a movie say "yo gently caress robots" and then a sequel is like #notallrobots, like The Matrix, Alien, and The Terminator. Any other good/well-known ones?

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Tea Bone posted:

more focus on scares and atmosphere

make sure you've seen
Suspiria (1977)
The Descent (2005)
Noroi (2005)
Baskin (2015)
Malignant (2021)

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Putting together my options for the October challenge, what are the must-watches on Shudder that I might not have seen yet? Funny, weird, tense, ~elevated~, if it's good I'll probably like it.

Obvious answers I've already seen: Saloum, Triangle, The House of the Devil, Housebound, Night of the Demons, The Endless

Stuff I'm looking at:
Flux Gourmet
Mad God
Night of the Living Dead
Perfect Blue
Psycho Goreman
Glorious
Moloch
Broadcast Signal Intrusion
A Lonely Place to Die
Carrie
The Suspicious Death of a Minor (and/or other giallos)
Mad God
Tetsu the Iron Man
The Babadook
I Am a Ghost
Prom Night
House
A Field in England
Basket Case
The Hills Have Eyes

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Extremely good recommendations, seen all but Slumber Party Massacre 2 and The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears (still feeling out giallo, only proper one I've seen is What Have You Done to Solange?, excluding Suspiria) but they're going on the list!

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Half of Interstellar is people getting hosed over in space

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for fun uplifting/cathartic anti-colonialist movies in the style of RRR. Doesn't have to be an action movie, but I'm looking for something vibrant and entertaining rather than super serious.

Ong-Bak has some sad parts but is mostly this

Gripweed posted:

Is My Neighbor Totoro anti-colonialist?

thread title please

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Interstellar very much plays with this also

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
You seen Resolution?

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Don't forget The Night Comes For Us, it's even in the title

Also In Bruges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

LiterallyATomato posted:

Can someone recommend a movie about heroes saving people?

Specifically, I mean "saving people" in the most literal sense. Less "fighting a war against Nazi Germany" or "Saving the galaxy from destruction," more "Running into burning buildings to pull people out."

"Heroes" is broadly defined: anyone who puts others first even in the face of danger is a hero. Bravery.

Invulnerable superheroes are not brave.

Premium Rush is a superhero movie