Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005

Buglord

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Could anyone recommend any movies set in Northern Canada, Alaska or Greenland?
Death Hunt (1981) with Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin, Carl Weathers and a few other faces you'll recognize. It's a little cheesy/dated at times and very loosely based on a true story, but certainly worth watching.

Akapursch posted:

I'm after post-90s films that try to be cool yet are somewhat grounded (dreamy/absurd from a grounded standpoint is fine, just not outright sci-fi - Fight Club would pass, but The Matrix would not). That's kinda subjective but hopefully the examples below get across what that means to me. Try-hard "cheesy" cool is fine. I find Payback to be incredibly cheesy, but for some reason it just works for me (despite Gibson's real-life antics souring the rest of his filmography for me). Also doesn't matter if it's an "obvious" one, below is all I can think of currently and I don't mind rewatches of stuff I've simply forgotten (besides anything else Tarantino that isn't on the list, I'm aware of all of them).

I'm not really au fait with foreign cinema, but any recommendations would be absolutely welcome (particularly anything French, German or Korean). Also, anything with cool women as the focus (Jackie Brown and The Long Kiss Goodnight are the outliers in my list below for this). [snip]

I'll second UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST's recommendation of Layer Cake. Less fantastical/absurd than something like Snatch and more heist-feeling(?) like an Oceans movie, but less silly and way more 'We're so drat cool" almost to the point of parody in some scenes but it never quite gets there. Still a funny movie at times with enough clever moments and famous faces to keep you interested.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005

Buglord

feedmyleg posted:

What's a really trippy mystery film? An investigation that just gets weird. Ideally supernatural, but open to straighter stuff.
Hmm, these might not be as trippy/mystery as you are hoping for, but three came to mind: The Ninth Gate, Society and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Wild card: Paprika. A big budget animated film with plenty of bizarre visuals (~50% of the film takes place in dreams/delusions). Memorable music as well.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005

Buglord

I only saw a few bits and pieces back when it came out, but I have heard good things. If you aren't turned off by subtitled Oscar-nominated foreign films, maybe check out Leviathan (2014).
I'll finally watch it this weekend too, if anyone else agrees that my half-assed recommendation fits the theme.

Also, feedmyleg, what did you end up going with for your mystery film that gets ~weird~?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005

Buglord

For recent sci-fi or western-via-sci-fi, maybe check out Annihilation or Prospect? Prospect has plenty of tree time and big space-sequoias(?), while Annihilation has some great scenes and effects, but it isn't 90% in the forest, it's a little more varied.
Action: First Blood or Predator (the originals from the 80s) are two forest-y classics and absolute must-sees if you've avoided them somehow.
In the Drama/Mystery/Romance/ExperimentalWhatever&MetaphorGalore category, try The Fountain. The Tree of Life is a central character/theme. Lower actual screen time with trees, but very memorable visuals and music.

There's also this great PBS documentary where our wonderfully calming narrator sits in a tree and watches big eagles do eagle things in an Amazonian megatree. PBS's site has a few clips to see if you are interested before you go combing around youtube or whatever: https://www.pbs.org/video/nature-a-hungry-harpy/.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005

Buglord

ephori posted:

I'm looking for movies where dudes really beat the hell out of each other, but I would like 'real' movies, not straight action movies. Something where the fights are brutal but also....meaningful?

I watched A Prayer Before Dawn last night, so kind of along those lines. Eastern Promises is another one that comes to mind, and Valhalla Rising.
It's not a movie full of marathon fights, but the violence in Drive is handled well. Maybe give that a look?

space marine todd posted:

Recommendations for visually/musically stunning space movies like 2001, Interstellar, Sunshine, and The Fountain?

Less violence/horror would be preferable.
Moon has excellent CG/space photography, model-work and sets. Its music is composed by the same guy as The Fountain which is sort of an auto-win for me.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005

Buglord

I bought a new TV for the first time in ~11 years and I splurged to get a CX. What's the best 4K/HDR movie to baptize the new and holy OLED? I have access to Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO with a pretty nice internet connection, so I should be able to have a quality streaming picture. I was thinking about picking a random episode of The Expanse because I know the space scenes in that are supposed to look really great in 4K, but a full movie is probably the proper way to do it.

I still remember that my very first HD/BluRay I ever saw was How To Train Your Dragon on my neighbor's TV. I'd like my 4K first time to be memorable too. :biglips:

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005

Buglord

The Police Academy movies have that kind of feeling to them. There's so many and I can't remember which ones are good and which ones are poo poo. I guess start with #1?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005

Buglord

Ice Pirates?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005

Buglord

These both have their moments of goofiness (intentional or not), but 13th Warrior and Brotherhood of the Wolf might be what you are looking for. Also, consider the original Conan the Barbarian if you haven't seen it. Although I wonder if would come across as dated and dumb to a first-time viewer, given all the parodies and copycat films it spawned.

I'll try to think of something more modern as well.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 30, 2021

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005

Buglord

Seen Roadhouse or perhaps Hard Boiled?
'89 and '92 respectively, but they sure feel 80s to me.

I'll keep digging in my brain for one that has killer syths, too.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 14, 2021

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005

Buglord

Death of Stalin and Shaun of the Dead are more dry than dark, if I'm understanding the terms correctly?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005

Buglord

Laurence of Arabia almost fits that bill. Paths of Glory, less so, but is still a very good near-historical war themed movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005

Buglord

It's not a movie, but the first 1~1.5 seasons of The Expanse are kind of structured like that.